• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

Finished this a while back, and I share much of Bebpo's take on it.

Pros:
- Music is awesome after some getting use to, with the Chaos themes feeling like they had extra punch due to the setting maybe. Another thing of note: it's both clear yet loud, marvelous stuff from Meguro and Tsuchiya once more.

- Loads of demons. No long pauses around the 3/4 mark with the same 3 demons before you start making ringers.

- Crisp graphics and great sprite work.

- Source system has some potential.

Cons:
- It felt as if the game was driving you away from good demons, and then drove their memories away by making the actual Fusion part set in stone and heavily weighted (gee, thanks for the Life Surge, but Dormina instead of Absorb Fire for a resulting demon whose only weakness is Fire?!?). Like I said above, it has potential, but I'd still want the old system with a Shuffle button.

- Sources are to be saved until the end due to your possibility of wasting VERY valuable ones on lower level ringer demons that will hit a deep mud pit three levels after you fuse them and fall way behind. You would be wasting them due to...

-
The end boss being freaking nuts. Strong attacks in nearly every school, obviously high stats all around, delicate (de)buffing strategy, and just general all-around Megaten Asshole Boss Goodness™ make a normal strategy dicey. That's a good thing...but well...

You need 75+ demons nearly requiring good VIT, at LEAST Resist Expel/Death, and as much Repel X as possible, hence the Source issue. It took me researching every Repel-carrying source then grinding it out for 12 levels till I had Susan, then tackling the end boss, THEN regrinding a bit more. Why the extra grinding?

- Lame-ass MC character-building system. If your MC has VIT at least the 3rd highest stat, you thank your lucky stars. Mine had it DEAD FUCKING LAST. STR/AGL was his, finalized hours and hours ago just after entering the Schwartzwald. Ai yi yi. Had to grind near a save point close to dinging so when it happened, I could reload if I got 3 AGL again.

Hard to build up even Resist X skills.

No Absorb/Repels

Talents only offensive in nature, and just for shits and giggles, the end boss is immune to gunfire. That's right, on the Neutral path, the Savior of Humanity cowers, emerging from his huddle to only toss MP-restoring items and tag in demons. :lol

- Janky difficulty. First four sectors are rather easy, then get more dangerous with the end boss of the 5th, then spikes again at the last two bosses. I had a feeling in those first 4 sectors I had never felt in a SMT game before: impatience; it felt as if the dungeon and its traps, enemies, and treasure was busy work to be Auto Attacked away.

- I hated Jimenez.
His dialogue was all over the god damn place. I hate the military. I love my soldier buddies. I hate demons. I love summoning demons. I hate what these Mitra bastards did to Bugaboo. I'm going to head to Hologium and guard the last Mother. Blah blah blah.

Well, I guess it could be said he was personifying Chaos incarnate, though.
:lol

MechaX

SatelliteOfLove said:
- Lame-ass MC character-building system. If your MC has VIT at least the 3rd highest stat, you thank your lucky stars. Mine had it DEAD FUCKING LAST. STR/AGL was his, finalized hours and hours ago just after entering the Schwartzwald. Ai yi yi. Had to grind near a save point close to dinging so when it happened, I could reload if I got 3 AGL again.

Hard to build up even Resist X skills.

No Absorb/Repels

Talents only offensive in nature, and just for shits and giggles, the end boss is immune to gunfire. That's right, on the Neutral path, the Savior of Humanity cowers, emerging from his huddle to only toss MP-restoring items and tag in demons. :lol

Hey, it could be worse; You could be one of those "lucky" players with a Luck build MC that ends the game with like 60 luck and crap everything-else.

Personally, I think making the MC more useful could have alleviated a lot of the difficulty issues I found with the last few bosses (or at the very least they should have let you distribute his stats). Instead, the final few battles come down to "Okay.. How do I not get the MC killed in this turn?", fighting aganist big evil demons with three kick-ass demons and one Game Over liability. The "MC = Game Over" mechanic works in Nocturne and the P3/4 games (kind of) because the MC should still be bad-ass in his own right and at least has ways to survive if some demon decides to nearly annihilate your party. Sure, the MC is mostly human here, but even the heroes of the old Devil Summoner games and SMT 1/2/If... had more options/could distribute their stats to make sure they don't suck.

And thanks for the hilarious image of the MC of this game cowering in a corner in defense during the harder fights and occasionally tosses Chakra Drops and Beads at his three ass-kicking demon companions or switches one out for another ass-kicking demon companion. And the fellow humans and the bosses somehow think that the MC is responsible for the victories of these battles...

Okay, I just acquired a sub-app that remedies what was my only complaint about this game. Up until recently Strange Journey has been a bit of a slow burn for me, last week I was fairly certain that SJ was going to go into the backlog with Dragon Quest IX and Persona 3 Portable both coming out in short order but now I'm not so sure. Strange Journey is starting to get its hooks into me.

Jenga

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
- I hated Jimenez.
His dialogue was all over the god damn place. I hate the military. I love my soldier buddies. I hate demons. I love summoning demons. I hate what these Mitra bastards did to Bugaboo. I'm going to head to Hologium and guard the last Mother. Blah blah blah.

Well, I guess it could be said he was personifying Chaos incarnate, though.
:lol
Jimenez is a bro. chaos4lyf

Larsen B

Do you need to have researched all existing items in the lab before new ones appear?

Even though I've got the required forma for it, the Meteor Dragoon isn't showing up in the Lab but the Ebony Tear is.

EDIT: No, you don't, but you need at least the base forma!

Oh man. Just a little peeved here. Bought the game a couple days ago along with a DSi XL, but now I come to find the soundtrack CD is defective. Only, the Atlus site says the replacement CD's are out of stock. I wrote them an email, but don't expect anything to happen other than an apologetic response. Kind of a bummer.

At least the game is pretty awesome.

Jucksalbe

Banned
They just messed up the CD. They stored the whole soundtrack as .wav files on a data CD. If you put it in your computer you can still hear it or copy them and burn a new audio CD.

I was in Europe for 3 months, where this was the only game I had on me. Beat it at my Detroit layover on the way back.

An awesome game that managed to overcome my recent years of ADD in which I was switching back and forth between games all over the place. Felt like a smarter Pokemon for adults by the end, when I was constantly messing with demon fusions as I leveled up for the final fight.

Only real complaints are some blah fetch-type quests and the inability to add the "invisible" rooms on the map even after the visualizer gets upgraded.

Not sure if I'm gonna go back and try to complete everything at some point (compendium just nearing 80%), but Strange Journey was just what I needed. A long, thick RPG with a good, fast-flowing battle system to sooth me to bed after my nights in Rodanthe, er Luxembourg. And they can quote me on that for the Subsistence box.

firex

I'm at the end of this game and it is the second worst SMT game that I've played. It's not as bad as DDS1, but god, the final boss is the cherry turd topping the shit sundae that has been this gimped game that is massively inferior to Persona 3, 4, and Nocturne.

Seriously, the final boss is just a fucking horseshit fight that can end through absolutely no fault of your own, without regard to planning or strategy.

Yaweee

Larsen B said:

He's probably fighting the Chaos boss, which has an instant death move that still has a pretty high change to hit even with Null Light, Null Dark, and Tetraja active.

That video also uses the Solomon Ring, an OP accessory that is only available in NG+, so I'm not entirely sure why you'd bring it up in response to Firex having difficulty with the last boss.

Holy shit.

Spoiler warning btw.

So I'm doing the ex mission where you have to fight mara on behalf of seraph and I noticed that mara, after talking about charms and humans climaxing, looks like a giant penis.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Earthstrike said:
So I'm doing the ex mission where you have to fight mara on behalf of seraph and I noticed that mara, after talking about charms and humans climaxing, looks like a giant penis.

Surprise! Welcome to SMT! Where there is Demon Penises riding Chariots and a Vagina monster. :lol

Okay, sorry for the two month old bump but I just got around to starting this.

Holy shit, 1 hour to fully get into the game and be in the "sandbox," seriously? Atlus needs to learn to do these things quicker or during actual gameplay than introducing the world. That said...

-OH BOY MORE CONVERSATIONS WITH DEMONS! Something I haven't missed from Persona 1/2: Innocent Sin. I hope this time around they actually make sense in what the demon wants instead of gibberish/bad translations. I certainly didn't miss them in Persona 3 (and going through 4 when not playing this either).

-I'm enjoying the Demonica GUI/HUD. It's nice to have an "alert" for when random battles will show up. Gives me time to heal or whatever.

-Co-op attacks are going to do my head in, I'm sure. This is taken from Devil Survivor (which I haven't finished...), isn't it?

-My Demonica's built around "Luck" from the way I answered the questionnaire. Is this bad? Good? I'm not sure if I'm going to have a hard time, given how "Luck" is generally a useless stat in RPGs for anything that isn't drops.

That said, I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm hoping I can stick with it instead of quitting at the first boss like I did Devil Survivor because the auctions screwed me over and I didn't know I needed a weak element demon to fight the boss. *sigh*

So yeah, any tips at the outset or is playing Persona 1/2 (AKA: "Older-style SMT") all I need to know about this?

Luck is the worst build. You can manage with it, but it's going to make the game a bit more challenging.

As for advice,

- stay on top of sidequests, the rewards are fucking great
- abuse the hell out of demon co-op (which means keeping a lot of demons of the same alignment as you)
- but do not ignore the other alignments, you'll need a varied party for the endgame
- Doppleganger is King Shitwrecker

Other than that, if you've cut your teeth on another SMT game, you should be fine. Oh, one other thing though - you'll probably want to make an actual paper map for a certain part of Sector E, so be prepared to do that.

TheSeks

Segata Sanshiro said:
Luck is the worst build. You can manage with it, but it's going to make the game a bit more challenging.

Oh, boy. SMT difficulty x 2 now? :(

Other than that, if you've cut your teeth on another SMT game, you should be fine. Oh, one other thing though - you'll probably want to make an actual paper map for a certain part of Sector E, so be prepared to do that.

Noted. I'm only in Sector A's first little bit so far. But yeah, I'm enjoying the game despite the demon negotiations coming back. I've always hated the negotiations, I'm sure they work within a Japanese character-set, but in English they're limited and "WHAT!?" at times. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
I was under the impression that the builds didn't have much of an impact on your stats. What's the best one then?

Yaweee

I had the Vitality build and ended up with Luck being by far my highest stat.

I'm under the impression that there's some underlying randomness and enough "seed" items to improve your stats that your "build" that you shouldn't really be screwed by drawing a bad stat at the beginning. Level tends to matter far more than stats in SMT games.

Oh, and Luck might help out the Stone Gun, which is already imbalanced as hell.

Stats are randomly generated. Your 'build' just changes the percentages. I was luck based and ended up with insane Speed, which allowed the MC to pop an item whenever needed.

Demon Co-Op starts dropping in usefulness around Sector E onwards, from then on individual demons are hitting hard enough that it shouldn't matter. MC tends to end up being the lowest rung on your team, so use him primarily for items.

MechaX

Segata Sanshiro said:

Personally, I would just straight up suggest going to the SJ Wiki to get a Map of Sector E once you get there. Sector E is probably the most complex dungeon in the game bar none.

But for the most part, if you've played any other SMT, you should do relatively fine here. Just be warned that the final set of bosses can get pretty unbalanced and cheap even for an SMT game.

Dresden

tmarques said:
For someone who's never played any of the games in the series, would you recommend this or Devil Survivor?
Devil Survivor is the better game. Better story, better characters, better gameplay*. Play Devil Survivor first. It's also more accessible as well. New players are certainly going to be frustrated by some of the bosses in SJ.

*It's an SRPG as opposed to the dungeon crawling of Strange Journey. So it's up to you.

In terms of gameplay I think both SJ and DS are roughly equal. But I agree that in terms of story and characterization, DS beats SJ by a mile.

lyre

The final boss of the Chaotic path single-handedly made a decent to average game like Strange Journey to absolute bullshit and I won't be replaying it unless I'm really that bored.

A luck based final battle is the worst possible thing to do to a consistently average dungeon crawler.

And low level Doppleganger for world leader.

Yaweee

Kurtofan said:
The final boss of Chaos path is easy peasy,it doesn't even use that attack that much.

An instant-kill move that goes through NULL Light, NULL Dark, AND Tetraja is complete and utter bullshit no matter how many times it gets cast per fight.

(I think I had to survive five blasts of it on my kill attempt)

TheSeks

Okay, so far:

Unlocked the Forma or whatever the "drop items" are called for crafting new apps and stuff. I can't give the lab the fairy given-me item yet, WTF. I can have them dispose of it, but I'm not sure if anything too useful is good to come out of it. I guess I unlock this ability a little later?

Jameniez seems a bit of an asshole.
"OH MY CREW ALL DIED AND I HAVE TO BE AN ASSHOLE TO YOURS (Main Character Name Here)!"
*Persona3HiI'mDaisyMinato:|.jpg* at this.

Hit level 5.

Recruited:

-Neutral Lv4 Pixie
-Neutral Lv4 Knocker (really wish I could rename "boobs"</12 year old>)
-Neutral-Law Lv4 Tangata Manu

I can talk to but fail:

Dybbuk
Slim

Because they're Dark-Chaos, I guess.

Defeated the first boss:
Okiku-Mushi
. Also:
Commander Gore died like a bitch. As soon as he hit 50HP I knew he was going to be a "red-shirt." *sigh*

The boss gave me and Knocker a little trouble, but Pixie went from "helping me co-op attack two times in a battle" into the standard JRPG healer and we knocked him out with no issues.

Suffice it to say, the game's start is much easier to get into than Devil Survivor's auction system that screwed me over (*sigh*I'll give DS a chance again... someday...).

I'm really digging the dungeon crawling, despite the fact that the B/L-R-Dpad movement for strafing sucks. But that's coming from Persona PSP where the L/R triggers were used to strafe in that.

I'm also really liking abusing the Demon Co-Op ability battle system. It reminds me of "ALL-OUT ATTACK"s from Persona 3/4, but with the twist of having to have same alignment for attacks to work.

That said, why can't Tangata Manu join me? Is it because he's Lawful despite being Neutral like the rest of us in the first bit of the alignment?

Game's really fun so far. Definitely a nice change of pace from Persona 4 (which I have two dungeons or so left to finish) and up there in enjoyment with Persona 3: FES for me (crazy talk, I know)

Edit: Oh, right, one bitching point: Negotiating with demons doesn't work liek Persona 1/2:IS's where you can "talk with a demon that you already have to have them leave the battle" and have the rest of the demons that aren't the same type stay to battle with. Annoying. I'm not sure if it's this way (Strange Journey's) for the other SMT games, but I prefer Persona's way for easier/wanting-to-target-a-demon-to-analyze-talk-to-without-fear-of-insane-damage ability. Sucks that the battle ends if you try to get a "friendly" demon to leave.

That aside, I have to say that the negotiations are a LOT easier to get into unlike Persona 1/2:IS's, so kudo's to Atlus for that.

TheSeks said:
Edit: Oh, right, one bitching point: Negotiating with demons doesn't work liek Persona 1/2:IS's where you can "talk with a demon that you already have to have them leave the battle" and have the rest of the demons that aren't the same type stay to battle with. Annoying. I'm not sure if it's this way (Strange Journey's) for the other SMT games

It's that way for everything dating back at least to Nocturne in 2003. Having it work that way is much better overall since it gives you a way of getting through areas without much risk of dying as long as you've got enough of the local demons in your party.

TheSeks

charlequin said:
It's that way for everything dating back at least to Nocturne in 2003. Having it work that way is much better overall since it gives you a way of getting through areas without much risk of dying as long as you've got enough of the local demons in your party.

Oh, well, that sucks. :/

Also got three items from my demon members. They say they're "high in level now, here take this:"

I assume I should fuse them now? Is this similar to Persona 3's "heart" system thingy where special fusions (that isn't the case here) would give an item at "max level" or whatever it was in P3?

Edit: Also leaving the tutorial area for the first "change in scenery" area scares the hell out of me. Those demons in that area hit fucking HARD against us. While I'm able to survive (so long as I have MP) I'm not too sure this party is going to be good for much longer.

TheSeks said:
Oh, well, that sucks. :/

Also got three items from my demon members. They say they're "high in level now, here take this:"

Each demon will give you their source the first time they level up and then there's a small (really small) chance they'll give it to you a second time on another level up.

(I think their analysis gauge has to be full too, but I'm not sure because I don't think I've ever levelled up a demon whose analysis gauge wasn't Max anyway.)

And it's not much like P3's style. It's just a chance for you to add some of the skills from the Source to a new demon.

TheSeks said:
I assume I should fuse them now? Is this similar to Persona 3's "heart" system thingy where special fusions (that isn't the case here) would give an item at "max level" or whatever it was in P3?

Demons have a random chance to give you decent (not special, unique) items at every level up, so it's not really like the P3 thing.

In SJ, you should generally keep your demons in your party until you've maxed out their Analyze bar, level them up once afterwards (to get their Demon Source), and then fuse them away.

TheSeks

Well, I'm trying to analyze demons before having them join the party. IIRC the tutorial states that doing this lets you have an easier understanding on talking to them?

In any case, I got down to the B2 of the change in scenery:
the battleground area
, got hit HARD and Fairy didn't have any MP. Started to be scared of screwing up (I assume like Persona 3/4 main character dies, you game over?), but talked my way through some battles (while screwing up badly and having one attack me to where I ran). Have had Odin (or whatever the dark ones that attack you on B2 are) force himself into my party, much to my surprise (I screwed up talking to him three times until I got lucky with the second question and made him surprised at my "BRING IT ON!" when he challenged me :lol ) and amazement. "Rampage" plus an attack lower skill. :D

Archangel is screwing me up in talking to him on the second question. Generally I can get his amusement/green from being observant/"gentlemanly" on the first question, but the second question I keep screwing up pissing him off because there isn't an "observant" answer (well, at least that isn't apparent to me) to have him join my party and replace my start rotating parties.

I do have their sources, but I'm not too sure if I should start fusing. That's something I've always hated about SMT: I am too damn worried I need to wait and the demons will get a new skill (well, they do in Persona...) at level up or if I should fuse them and get something higher level (which you can't really use until you are THEIR level in Persona... anyway...), that and I've never been good with the fusion systems. Does my head in trying to get something I want out of it. But the source explanation I got ("Get their source, fuse it when they're high in level to force all the skills onto a new demon") seems easier than Persona(e)'s "hope you can get at least one skill on the new demon!" system. :lol

I went back to the ship. Upgraded my armor (33 defense now, yay) and sword (forgetting it's stats, 33 attack now IIRC), haven't upgraded the gun yet. Trying to grind cash for the sub-apps (esp the one where you can recover from a screw up in talking one time per talk), while going down the dungeon to the end of the main quest... while trying to do the two ex quests I have now.

So, yeah, starting to get out of the "newbie area" and while I have SMT experience under my belt, that doesn't help shake off the jitters I have every time I play this series. :lol

TheSeks

Segata Sanshiro said:
Demons don't get new skills by leveling up in this one, except by random mutation. Once you have their Sources, fuse those fuckers.

Noted. I'll start doing that tomorrow then. :D I got a Yatagarisu from the Password system waiting for me to hit level 50, which isn't going to happen sometime soon in this starting dungeon. :lol

TheSeks said:
Well, I'm trying to analyze demons before having them join the party. IIRC the tutorial states that doing this lets you have an easier understanding on talking to them?

To the best of my knowledge there's no difference in negotiation with a half-analyzed demon and a fully analyzed one, and it's actually much easier to analyze demons by having them in your party (you get a ton of analyze "points" for each battle you fight with that demon in your party.)

(I assume like Persona 3/4 main character dies, you game over?)

Yep.

Have had Odin (or whatever the dark ones that attack you on B2 are)

Oni? Very nice. Rampage at that point will be ludicrously useful.

I do have their sources, but I'm not too sure if I should start fusing.

Far moreso than in any other Megaten game, demons in SJ are ultra-disposable tools. It's much harder to make "ultimate" demons early on (so you'll very rarely have someone you want to keep around just because they're really good), demons don't learn anything new, and since you get one source for every demon you recruit, you'll pretty much by definition always have enough sources to use on as many fusions as you want. You'll basically never regret fusing away an individual demon and with the exception of a very limited set of skills (which I can list for you if you want) you'll never regret using a source as soon as possible either. If you wait too long you'll just find yourself missing the window where certain skills are good or trying to tackle dungeons with underpowered dudes.

It's worth keeping Alice around of course, since her MAG growth is through the roof. At least if you get her via password, otherwise she comes way late.

TheSeks

charlequin said:
Oni? Very nice. Rampage at that point will be ludicrously useful.

Yeah, him. I've fought two scripted battles against him and his Rampage hit me HARD. So I gleefully cackled when he forced himself into my party. Going to abuse the hell out of Rampage on B2. :lol

Far moreso than in any other Megaten game, demons in SJ are ultra-disposable tools. It's much harder to make "ultimate" demons early on (so you'll very rarely have someone you want to keep around just because they're really good), demons don't learn anything new, and since you get one source for every demon you recruit, you'll pretty much by definition always have enough sources to use on as many fusions as you want. You'll basically never regret fusing away an individual demon and with the exception of a very limited set of skills (which I can list for you if you want) you'll never regret using a source as soon as possible either. If you wait too long you'll just find yourself missing the window where certain skills are good or trying to tackle dungeons with underpowered dudes.

Okay, I was wondering if I shouldn't update the compendium, fuse the demons. Reget them, level them up again, get the source/item against and then refuse them. :lol

Edit: Fused some demons. Sandman, and the female angel S&M looking demon. Using Oni, Sandman, and another fused demon I kicked the sector A's bosses ass. Sector B unlocked. But I'm going back to A to get the sidequests finished. I need to see if talking to the Sandmans while having a Sandman in my party will let me finish the sidequest or not. *sigh*

TheSeks

And...

... I can't seem to get Sandman to pop up in Sector A to complete the one Sandman's EX quest. WTF. They were there before. :(

TheSeks said:
Okay, I was wondering if I shouldn't update the compendium, fuse the demons. Reget them, level them up again, get the source/item against and then refuse them. :lol

Getting the Demon Sources is actually per-type not per-demon. You can only carry one source for a given demon type at a time and it'll be recorded as gotten even if you don't reg the demon, so no cheesing for extras here.

TheSeks said:
And...

... I can't seem to get Sandman to pop up in Sector A to complete the one Sandman's EX quest. WTF. They were there before. :(

I swear I ran around for a half hour looking for one of the fucking monsters in sector A to do one of these sidequests after fighting approximately four thousand of them before. :lol

TheSeks

charlequin said:
I swear I ran around for a half hour looking for one of the fucking monsters in sector A to do one of these sidequests after fighting approximately four thousand of them before. :lol

Yeah, this seems to be the normal for me as well. Stupid Sandman, I want to complete your quest before I go to B just in case I should sell your item for cash. COME ON OUT! :mad:

hipgnosis

Just got this game and I've been playing about 2 hrs now, enjoying it so far. Quick question though: I negotiated with a demon and it agreed to join me, however he isn't available for my party and is nowhere to be seen in my menu. What am I doing wrong?

TheSeks

hipgnosis said:
Just got this game and I've been playing about 2 hrs now, enjoying it so far. Quick question though: I negotiated with a demon and it agreed to join me, however he isn't available for my party and is nowhere to be seen in my menu. What am I doing wrong?

"Summon" function.

If KO'ed, revive and resummon.

Can be done outside of battle or in battle, but if you summon in battle you lose your attack turn until next turn.

And Sandman still won't show up in random battles. WTF. Goddamn it, come out on B1/B2 and let me get this quest over with. :|

TheSeks said:
And Sandman still won't show up in random battles. WTF. Goddamn it, come out on B1/B2 and let me get this quest over with. :|

It seems like this happens a lot. As soon as you get a quest requiring you to talk to a demon, they stop showing up. I think Atlus is doing it on purpose in order to torture people who play their games.

TheSeks

TheSeks said:

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It seems like this happens a lot. As soon as you get a quest requiring you to talk to a demon, they stop showing up. I think Atlus is doing it on purpose in order to torture people who play their games.

Well, funny as it happens. HE FINALLY SHOWED UP just a minute ago. Talked to him, no items given. Just the quest being done so having Sandman in my party didn't screw anything up. Hoorah. Now to run down there and get to Sector B to get started into the game again. God, Atlus should stop trolling us for having the demons in the party and trying to do these quests. :lol

Top Bottom