• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2: Total War Screenshots and Video

RyanDG

Looking at the campaign map in this makes me realize just how much I missed the simplicity of Shogun and Medieval 1's campaigns. The new games are definitely a lot more in depth, but I really enjoyed the boardgame like feel that the first two total war games had that they have moved so far away from.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I previewed the game just recently. It can be found here.

MjFrancis

I will have to download the demo for this shortly. This game fell off my radar for some reason, but I definitely plan on picking it up. I dumped dozens of hours into the original, though I've since abstained from the rest of the Total War series. I anticipate a much more refined game since the first.

Once bitten, twice shy as they say. I am a great fan of Total War games, but Empire was such an unplayable mess that I will have to give Shogun a miss for at least a few months.

Credit however must be given for Napoleon; that expansion/game was virtually bug free at launch.

I probably played the original for over 100 hours at least. Beat it on the hardest difficult with every clan multiple times, imposed various rules on myself to make the game more difficult and realistic (ex: no jumping to the other side of the map using ports + shinobi). Soooo fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im pretty sure there's a lot of content in the sample releases that you cant actually access. The press demo I played was a whopping 16GB, and was only one small campaign.

Sethos

Banned
Finally! Massive Total War fan, love the games. Still a bit sad they choose to Shogun as their new game, was my least favourite game to be honest - Not because it was bad, purely because of the era which doesn't hit my soft-spot ... Rome was more my kind of game.

Still, looks fantastic and its getting a lot of praise so I'll be downloading the demo ( 1.6MB/s ... *sigh* ) and pre-ordering.

Is the game Steamworks by the way, as in I can order it from somewhere else and tie the CD-key to my Steam account?

bee

35mins to go! steam isn't giving me sub 100k sec for a change which is nice, is there any multiplayer in the demo?

Koralsky

TV ads for semi-hardcore PC exclusive from SEGA?!? The world gone crazy...

"First Total War TV marketing campaign planned - Sega teams up with History Channel; Total War series has sold 7.5m games worldwide."

"Publisher Sega is spending big to make sure Shogun 2: Total War is the best-selling PC game of Q1."

Link

Dennis

Banned
Koralsky said:
TV ads for semi-hardcore PC exclusive from SEGA?!? The world gone crazy...

"First Total War TV marketing campaign planned - Sega teams up with History Channel; Total War series has sold 7.5m games worldwide."

"Publisher Sega is spending big to make sure Shogun 2: Total War is the best-selling PC game of Q1."

Link
Nice

Downloading demo. Steam is kinda slow though.

Steam won't even let me download the demo. Their servers are too "busy". God I hate Steam.
Well, I'll get the Dragon Age II demo first.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun, so I am preparing myself to be thrust into the future of videogames.

Looking really awesome!

I wish Creative Assembly would also take this great world and art, and use the old Viking Battle of Asgard setup, and give us a great feudal Japan action/strategy hybrid.

Retrocide

Wow...those shots look amazing. I remember playing the original and it bringing my pc to it's knees lol. Graphics sure have come far.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Had some framerate issues running it on my desktop Q6600 + 260 gtx machine on ultra at 1080p, but the game is treat for the eyes. I'm really happy to see them return to Shogun :D. Unfortunately the demo only includes one historical scenario and the tutorial, which is pretty miniscule considering the size of the demo. Would've been fantastic if they included a small bit of multiplayer to satiate players before release date :).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Great demo with tons of depth. I disabled VSYNC and frame rates went up significantly while not even noticable. And I was getting this jaggy look until I turned on SSAO. Everything is maxed and AA options are topped out. Game looks great.

Ah the horrible irony. Living in Japan prohibits me from even finding the demo, regardless of region changing within steam. Proxies yield nothing but a cycling of log-in nightmares.

Any way around this?

Great demo. Obviously this is what has been around for journalists to get their previews and hands-on previews with. Good that it's available to the public.
Absolutely loved it. I had frame rate issues at first but with a little playing around it plays really smooth. Looks great, great art and design. Plenty of nice new touches. Thank God I have a week off work to play this (and Dragon Age 2..what a week that'll be!).

Wes

venison crêpe
Flambe said:
Yeah that historical battle destroyed me haha, dang
Me too. First time I sent some archers and some spears to the woods in the hills on the North, expecting a flank. Everyone else I chucked into the large southern peninsula, trying to cover as many of the shallow waterways as possible.

The two cavalry units they send straight away annoys me as I have hardly no time to set up. I ended up having to fight by just the west most watercrossing and some battles in the open. The water way worked and my guys in the north were dominating too.

And then the scripted turncoat event happened.

I tried to retreat my river units back to the highground and my north troops but they were too exhausted.

Second attempt I tried to gather all my forces on the middle hill, except for some roving cavalry...
that went even worse.

It looks superb. It's been on my radar for a while but i'm still a bit apprehensive about whether it will run well on my PC. I have been really surprised at how many people I know are looking forward to it - people who are not traditionally PC gamers and don't usually like RTS. I suppose the samurai setting really resonates with people, plus coming out on the back of StarCraft II helps (since a lot of PCs are probably primed and ready now).

One thing I want to know is will the camera angles be as dynamic as they are in the video? I liked how it switched to close-up, dramatic chase cams whenever units were engaging the enemy.

Wes

venison crêpe
Won the historic battle on normal on third attempt. Key is to let the second lot chase you the length of the map as they'll be exhausted. They fell on my spears and by the time I'd released the fire arrows they'd routed before I had a chance to bring in my cavalry :(

Top Bottom