• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we boycott Shadow Complex?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
corpserot said:
Are you just assuming you wouldn't like his books due to his views or have you actually read any of his books?

I had to read Orson Scott Card/Ender's Game in high-school. No sir, I didn't like it. His worldviews just seal my dislike even more.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I am intolerant of your antiquated 50 posts per page worldview. Let us do battle on cable television!

SAGATASANSHIROTHROWSDUDEANDDUDEEXPLODES.gif!

Chrange said:
Where did I say nobody cared? I was pretty direct about referring to the 'YOU MUST JOIN IN' sentiment, I thought.

Maybe that 'how ignorant' was a personal reflection on your part?
:lol
Chrange said:
If you want to, go ahead. I don't understand campaigning to get people who honestly just don't care about it to join in though.
He was informing people, this reads as if no one on GAF cares so why are you campaigning?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Let's kill Kosma as a blood sacrifice! We can do it! I have some bees we can cover him with!
Kosma already has the super-AIDS, remember? His international travels without protection assure his death.

duckroll said:
I'm sorry, I might have expressed that in a way which might suggest something I did not mean. What I was implying is that a Utah company with founders who are good friends with OSC, suggests to me that the company's ideals are likely a lot more aligned with Card's than a casual professional friendship.

I think you should have just left this thread locked, TBQH.

Undeux said:
Except that all of your examples have very indirect and blurry consequences, and this one has a very clear one. Buy this game and OSC will get some money. I won't be boycotting the game, but I understand the principle.

Look I understand the principle entirely, but still we have no idea if buying Shadow complex even gives support to this guy. For all we know, he got his lump sum already, regardless of the sales the game makes. Yet still, Chair is its own company, and made its own game. It seems people want to make up some conspiracy that supporting Chair is somehow supporting Orson, which is supporting anti-gay rights through all of this, and wait... EPIC helped them so therefore they support him as well. I mean its a business, I doubt anyone is trying to fund anti-gay rights. I totally understand if someone doesn't want to buy this for the thought it might support it, yet to call out a boycott on it is a little crazy imo.

The game is awesome. It deserves to sell well imo. All this politics gives me a headache.

Asmodai

Banned
lawblob said:
So you are 12. You're saying that Glenn Beck's show is solely the product of one person in order to support your argument? Bravo.

I don't give a flying fuck what anybody does with this game, if I had a 360, i'd buy it. That doesn't change the fact that it is still moronic for a bunch of 20-something losers to chastise people for attempting to organize a boycott. You should probably be getting back to your philosophy 101 class, they might teach you about another logical fallacy today that you can put in italics on the internet while making incoherent arguments.

How can I be 12 years old and a "20 something loser" at the same time, by your own accusations? I'm a time paradox! :lol

What does that make you, someone who "chastises people chastising other people attempting to organize a boycott?" Or just some random pissed off guy with anger issues who likes flinging ad hominem around on the internet? Seems like both.

I'm not going to guess how old you are, but I do know for certain that you are acting like a 12 year old, and apparently want to be treated like one. Welcome to the Ignore List!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
KittyKittyBangBang said:

furry.jpg

What if it turned out the OSC was also against furries?

Chrange

Banned
MvmntInGrn said:
He was informing people, this reads as if no one on GAF cares so why are you campaigning?

Read the other six pages of the thread though. People who disagree or don't really care aren't faring all that well, though admittedly some aren't exactly helping their cause (or lack of one) with the way they go about it.

Ultimo hombre said:
Actually it's silent majority that was responsible for Prop 8 in CA. Mainly the black and hispanic population. The vocal activists just like the attention. So if you really wanted to make a change, you'd be going after educating or turning those people who have a chance to change vs the hardened homphobe who is salivating at the thought of being able to debate the issue and get more attention, yet again.
What's that have to do with someone also choosing to not buy Shadow Complex?

Furthermore, followup studies have suggested that if Proposition 8 were to be voted on again now, it's likely it would be voted down. People's opinions are apparently changing.

Chris Remo said:
My point is that there is a difference between thinking your money should never go to someone who disagrees with you, which is impossible, and thinking your money should not go to the relatively few people who actively and publicly work to fight against things you find to be important, particularly when it's in a venomous way.

Fair enough. It's still naive to think your money won't ever go to "people who actively and publicly work to fight against things you find to be important". What you really mean is "celebrities" who do such. Those people with hateful signs picketing in front of California courthouses could work for NetFlix, Namco, or McDonalds, who's to say?

If you really want to support gay rights, go for the positive approach and contribute your time or money. Otherwise, you're just another person who thinks not watching Fox News is making a difference.

Zenith

Banned
Did you know Will Wright made a large campaign contribution to Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid?

Boycott that shit, y'all!

Somnid

What they do on their own time and with with the money I gave them for a job well-done is their business. Trying to connect these two things is completely stupid, you can agree on one field and fight them on another. If you don't agree in characterizing someone on their sexual orientation then why would you agree in characterizing them with their opinion on the matter? Both are equally arbitrary. Card is nothing more than a drop in the ocean in the debate anyway, maybe we should boycott Jesus instead.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Segata Sanshiro said:
now let's kill Y2Kev! MAIM

DESTROY

REMEMBER KID

JUST KILL

Look at you, you disgusting pig liberal. Shouldn't you be secretly plotting to wipe israel off the map you disgusting liberal? You can't distract the smart posters in this thread such as Princess SKittles from your conspiracy

eznark said:
Sweet, maybe something good will come of this thread after all.

i will destroy you

Acosta

Chris Remo said:
No need to do that. It's pretty easy to be aware of the (extremely few) people who are publicly and vehemently working against principles I support, not some dude who just disagrees in his private life and votes differently to me.

At the end, Orson has one vote, the same one that the dude who has the same opinion but don't go public with it. What is the difference? Both of them are fighting gay beliefs and cutting them of some rights they feel are rightful theirs, so they are enemies and gay and gay marriage supporters shouldn't want to give them their hard earned money.

Of course, nobody could get that information, so it´s easier doing what you are saying and going for the very visible figures. Completely respectable. But be aware that the impact of such boycott is extremely limited, many millions agree with them. Are you completely sure this is a good way to send your message across? Frankly, I don't think so.

LiK

Chris Remo said:
Haha. Just to be clear though, I'm not trying to convince people not to buy this game. Maybe I'll buy it, I don't know. I'm trying to say it's completely justifiable to use this reasoning not to.

Chris, just get it, it's awesome!

Keikoku said:
It's just like what I call the "Frank Miller" or "Clint Eastwood" case. The guy has his ideas, but he made cool stuff anyway. And Shadow Complex plot is pretty much weak so it's not like we can see his views when we're playing the game...
You know, it's perfectly possible to loathe a person's personal beliefs, respect the work they do, and still not support them in any fashion. Call it R Kelly syndrome.

Instead of proposing a boycott that gains the ire of all these "But it's just a game, how dare you have beliefs!!1" folks, why aren't you telling people to share their gamertags with friends so they can still play it while also preventing others from supporting Card and whoever thought it awesome to hire him? I'm not one to advocate piracy and I know this place ain't either, but fuck if I can tell the difference between that and the game sharing done on PSN.

kadotsu

Banned
The fun thing about the real world is that there is more than one way to voice your opnion to a company than the famous "Vote with your Dollar". Writing a letter to the studio is one. It is proactive and doesn't fuck the people who developed the game.

Just google chair entertainment

Kosma

Banned
Did you guys know the US are fighting a war in Iraq, any product you buy in the US is supporting this campaign of hate.

Stop consuming or be a part of the cycle!!!

Segata Sanshiro said:
now let's kill Y2Kev! MAIM

DESTROY

REMEMBER KID

JUST KILL

:lol

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
shidoshi said:
Because he is actively fighting to stop homosexual couples from having the right to get married, and some people, I dunno, think that's a pretty fucked up thing to do?

Obama is against gay marriage, or at least that what he says. So should we believe his words, the words where he spoke out against gay marriage, or do we think his intentions are different than his words? If his intentions are different than his words, is it safe to assume that his intentions are different than words on other large issues facing the country? If we believe his words, should we not boycott president Obama?

This is a true conundrum!

sn00zer

Holy crap people. I swear. You would buy hundreds of games that have murdering, stealing, and ONE game has connections to a science fiction world where the writer is homophobic. For Christ's sake you can find famous authors who fucked their underage cousins, supported Nazism, did hard drugs and were homophobic. The point is no matter how much you hate a creator it doesnt mean you have to hate the creation.

Oh and Bioshock does support Ayn Rand's ideals. If you think the capitalists were the bad guys then you have it all backwards.

Y2Kev

Acosta said:
At the end, Orson has one vote, the same one that the dude who has the same opinion but don't go public with it. What is the difference? Both of them are fighting gay beliefs and cutting them of some rights they feel are rightful theirs, so they are enemies and gay and gay marriage supporters shouldn't want to give them their hard earned money.

Of course, nobody could get that information, so it´s easier doing what you are saying and going for the very visible figures. Completely respectable. But be aware that the impact of such boycott is extremely limited, many millions agree with them. Are you completely sure this is a good way to send your message across? Frankly, I don't think so.
Because Orson has a FUCKTON OF MONEY and can spend it to spread his hate speech and other garbage. Do people not see the connection between Orson Scott Card's tremendous wallet, his funding of prop 8, and the desire to not fatten his wallet by giving him royalties?

Do you see why this is different from boycotting SOME RANDOM DUDE ON THE STREET WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU?

Zenith said:
Did you know Will Wright made a large campaign contribution to Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid?

Boycott that shit, y'all!

Cool, Orson Scott Card is the head of a group specifically designed to deny minority groups human rights out of hatred, same thing totally.

squicken

Qtopia said:
WOW!!!!!!! What the fuck happened to the VG Forum? Not going to say much other than this thread is a cesspool of short sighted views on:

1. Mormonism (most are great people)
2. Prop 8 (Believe it or not the PEOPLE of California voted it down NOT Card)
3. Moronic Principles (i.e. I only buy his books second hand?!?!? REALLY?!?!?)
4. Civil Unions/Gay Marriage (Learn Definitions of Terms)
5. Ignorance (Hate to break it to everyone but like it or not Homosexuality IS a reproductive dysfunction. This is SCIENCE not Opinion)

This list could go on, but it's unnecessary as %90 of GAF isn't so silly as to take this topic seriously, thankfully. One of the most Off Topic posts I have seen in awhile. Everyone has a stance on Homosexuality and NO ONE here is going to change that. Regardless of what side you sit on, nearly everyone, despite their views are great human beings.

With this said, homophobia is not something I condone. Homosexuality is not a crime. I am pro Civil Unions. If you disagree with me GREAT! I will still appreciate you as a human, period. I can be just as ignorant as anyone, I just generally try my hardest to not make other people slap their palm to their forehead after listening to me!

People seriously need to READ both view points of any argument that they shall contest or debate.

What specifically made this post ban-worthy?

shidoshi said:
So, let me get this straight... some people have a serious and honest belief that homosexuals should have equal rights when it comes to things like marriage, those people decide they don't want to support a game because the money may be going to one (or more) people who actively fight against homosexuals having those equal rights, and you think that's a stupid attitude to have?

I don't know your situation, but it's possible that you don't give a damn about this cause because you have no involvement in it. It's easy to brush things aside when they don't affect you. For the people on here, and elsewhere, to whom the rights of homosexuals is a big deal, it makes perfect sense that they might not want their money going to such people.

I really wanted Shadow Complex, but now I may have to re-consider. Yes, fine, I'm sure EVERYTHING can be linked to something bad. But buying a pair of shoes when I need shoes, and not supporting a piece of entertainment that I'll get along just fine without are two totally different things. The people in this thread who are laughing at those taking this seriously, and are pulling out the "well now I'm going to buy the game haha!" are pathetically immature.

If you don't agree with the opinion that maybe this game should be boycotted for this reason, great, I can totally respect that. But to mock others for thinking this is a serious issue is nothing but childish.
Were you expecting people to act all adult-like and respectful? I think it's a waste of time to point your finger at all the immature blowhards in this thread.

I buy a game for the game. I had no idea Card was involved. I did not know he was a right wing wacko (I respect his views of course). I played and loved Advent Rising. Didn't realize that was his either. I can take art and enjoy it no matter the source. Guess that is just my personality and even though I tend to lean to the left I love hearing the views of the right. It does not bother me giving money to this man as we all have to make a living. And as others have stated before, the money I give to purchase this game goes primarily to the developer. To ensure they can keep doing what they're doing.

And I like what they're doing.

kadotsu said:
The fun thing about the real world is that there is more than one way to voice your opnion to a company than the famous "Vote with your Dollar". Writing a letter to the studio is one. It is proactive and doesn't fuck the people who developed the game.

You know what companies call people who complain but still buy their products?

Suckaaas just like y2kev and kosma and the next target emceegrammar

Y2Kev

sn00zer said:
Holy crap people. I swear. You would buy hundreds of games that have murdering, stealing, and ONE game has connections to a science fiction world where the writer is homophobic. For Christ's sake you can find famous authors who fucked their underage cousins, supported Nazism, did hard drugs and were homophobic. The point is no matter how much you hate a creator it doesnt mean you have to hate the creation.

Oh and Bioshock does support Ayn Rand's ideals. If you think the capitalists were the bad guys then you have it all backwards.
Wow, you are like something special. Bioshock is a clear rejoinder to Rand's garbage. That you couldn't see that shows how absolutely genius Ken Levine is.

Kosma

Banned
It's not hatred when it's religion Emceegrammar /smug

only if you're christian though, muslims get invaded for that shit

Big-E

Y2Kev said:
Because Orson has a FUCKTON OF MONEY and can spend it to spread his hate speech and other garbage. Do people not see the connection between Orson Scott Card's tremendous wallet, his funding of prop 8, and the desire to not fatten his wallet by giving him royalties?

Do you see why this is different from boycotting SOME RANDOM DUDE ON THE STREET WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU?

This has been stated probably 20 times already in this thread and still people don't understand. It is absolutely pathetic that people can't make the connection.

If my local plumber put out a sign that said "Gays don't deserve normal people marriage rights" and/or actively gave money supporting that cause, I would find a different plumber.

But according to people on GAF, that is an insane thing to do because why should you mix politics and plumbing

kadotsu said:

The ridiculous amount of hateful and twisted advertising against gay marriage has contributed to preventing it from happening. Preventing your money from going towards it is as admirable a move as any.

atbigelow

I like how because I live in Utah (right next to Provo, actually), I am now automatically an anti-gay marriage, hate spewing piece of filth.

Why don't we actually keep things down to what OSC's beliefs are instead of making large assumptions about what Chair Entertainment and others in my area believe?

(EDIT: For the record, OSC is a whacko)

FrankT

This thread is probably the worst thing I've ever read on GAF. Period.

On a side note I bought Shadow Complex day 1.

Y2Kev said:
Wow, you are like something special. Bioshock is a clear rejoinder to Rand's garbage. That you couldn't see that shows how absolutely genius Ken Levine is.

No don't you see having vending machines full of vodka and grenades in the middle of private medical clinics that gave people the power to shoot bees is clearly support for the idea of hashsuhuhahsd;0-21

Yackie

It's too late for me, I already bought the game :(
I'm enjoying it a lot, I can't help it, its fun :(

I forgot about the whole involvement with Orson Scott Card when I bought it though.

It all does seem a little fishy to me with Chair + Orson Scott Card + Utah + Mormon connection = a company I don't think I should be supporting with my money if they share the same viewpoints as Card, who actively opposes equal human rights.

I also enjoyed Ender's Game, am I a bad person?

Top Bottom