• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2010 Edition

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
L0st Id3ntity said:
r70g37.jpg
im liking the command center/bat cave. this is sort of what im going to be going for too. the great thing about hdtvs is you should never need to get rid of them since more pc monitors can always serve a purpose.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Tabris said:
manzo, I love your look but it must be kind of annoying to limit your seating based on what you are watching. Any reason you don't mount your LCD on the projector wall then have a projector screen come down over top the mounted lcd when you want to use that? Then swap the leather seats and couch (since a couch is easier to watch on a side).

If the current setup works for you, nevermind my suggestion, just wanted to suggest it incase you hadn't thought about it before. I could also see how the chairs wouldn't give a decent seperation of living room and kitchen though.

So he can play while his wife watches TV.

Tabris

Here is my office setup. Excuse the bad quality pictures, my only camera right now is my iPhone. Once you go dual-screen, you can't go back.

computer1.jpg

The issue with a glass desk is hiding the wires, and the following pictures shows the only visible wires from both the outside and from sitting down at the desk.

computer2.jpg

Atenhaus

Yuripaw said:
But where are the games? I don't see anything hooked up to the TV, or are you only playing on PC?

The games are to the right of the TV, on the DVD tower. I keep the PS3 tucked inside of the TV stand.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nice dog!

Might I suggest an area rug between the couch and the TV? Floor looks a little bare.

r3n4ud

Shig said:
Nice dog!

Might I suggest an area rug between the couch and the TV? Floor looks a little bare.

Use to have a rug there, until my son tripped over it and smacked his face on the heater :(

Atenhaus said:
Here's my setup while at Uni. It serves me pretty damn well.

roompanocopy.jpg

Ah... good ol' Pacific Lutheran University, my alma mater (Class of 2003). What dorm are you in? I was in Hinderlie before I moved off campus.

Infinity

Awesome view of Vancouver there - just blows me away.

And great dog - love that pic! He's got this "whatever - l wuv you" look!

Atenhaus

distantmantra said:
Ah... good ol' Pacific Lutheran University, my alma mater (Class of 2003). What dorm are you in? I was in Hinderlie before I moved off campus.

Holy crap, small world. I'm in Hong, facing Hinderlie. Are there any other Lutes on GAF?

CAVE343

Shig said:
Nice dog!

I think it looks nice this way, but I'm not reallly into rugs. As an alternative you could buy a bigger coffee table

IMACOMPUTA

What the hell? I seriously can not find the post where Milk talked about getting prints of the ICO painting.

Can somebody help? I found a quote of his post.. but not his actual post.

Atenhaus said:
Holy crap, small world. I'm in Hong, facing Hinderlie. Are there any other Lutes on GAF?

I think it's just us. I showed my wife your picture without telling her what it was and she immediately recognized it as PLU.

I really haven't updated anything since the last time I posted, although I found out while taking the photo that my brother (or one of his friends) was kind enough to put a golf ball sized hole in the wall dead center behind the couch about where your head would be. It's being covered up by the Luigi hat in the photo.

5104229704_ef1fb29c87_z.jpg

Anyway Gaf, I need suggestions for a storage solution that isn't this:

5103636755_b435a6fe51.jpg

To top if off, those aren't all my Blu-rays and 360 games so... yeah. I can't find anything I like, plus, space is an issue now that we have gym equipment down there as well. There's a set of stairs to my left where I took the photo from and I could probably stick a tasteful DVD rack there, but I can't find one I like. Something wider and chest or neck level would be just awesome.

grap3fruitman said:
Awesome stuff.
I'm surprised nobody commented yet, that place looks great! Lots of cool stuff, from the amazing colors, to the extremely comfy looking couch, to the Mario and Luigi hats and the stack of BRs. :lol

I assume it's in the basement, because of the lack of windows?

Either way, well done sir! Sorry I don't have any recommendations, storage-wise.

CAVE343

Suitcase Test said:
I'm surprised nobody commented yet, that place looks great! Lots of cool stuff, from the amazing colors, to the extremely comfy looking couch, to the Mario and Luigi hats and the stack of BRs. :lol

I assume it's in the basement, because of the lack of windows?

Either way, well done sir! Sorry I don't have any recommendations, storage-wise.

Yeah looks like a very well done home theater! Props. I also love the colors (almost the same as my living:lol)

epik

Just moved in about 3-4 months ago into my new house. Trying to get my set up working; it's been a while, and still have much work to do! .. Also I plan on obviously upgrading my sound system, but for now the Z5500's are great!

Also a new desk is going to be my next project for my desktop.

66cccg.jpg

Tabris said:
Here is my new gaming setup - Excuse the poor pictures, I need a new camera.

front.jpg

Super Nintendo, Denon AVR-891, HD PVR, Microsoft XBox 360 & Nintendo Wii are hidden in center controlled through RF to IR connectors with the Harmony controller. Need to hide the wires below a bit better but hardly noticable unless you look.

couch.jpg

side.jpg

left.jpg
right.jpg

lcd.jpg

bookcase.jpg

This is my bookcase with all my Blu Rays, DVDs, and video games (Wii, PS3, 360, PSP & Gamecube in this picture)

oldgames.jpg

These are the rest of my games, mainly older PS2 and PS1 games along with Gameboy and DS.

coffeetable.jpg

These are my controllers I quickly grab. Nunchuks & SNES Controllers hidden due to cables.

view1.jpg

view2.jpg

This is the view from my living room.

brb.

going to change into some new pants.

Zing

Banned
I still don't understand why people get these 42-50" flatscreen TVs and then sit so far away. For example, in those quoted pictures above, the dude must be sitting 12-15 feet away. You would want a 65-70" screen for that. If you are going to squint at the screen anyway, just get a 24", sit closer, and save some money.

Tabris

Zing said:
I still don't understand why people get these 42-50" flatscreen TVs and then sit so far away. For example, in those quoted pictures above, the dude must be sitting 12-15 feet away. You would want a 65-70" screen for that. If you are going to squint at the screen anyway, just get a 24", sit closer, and save some money.

When I bought my 46" TV it cost $3000+ with tax and warranty. It was a pipe dream to get anything close to 50+ that was still 1080p and was made by a good company (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc). Now that it's possible, my next TV will most likely be a 60. I'm just waiting to see what happens with the 3DTV craze.

Also I'm not that far away from the screen and never needed to squint.

Zing

Banned
Tabris said:
When I bought my 46" TV it cost $3000+ with tax and warranty. It was a pipe dream to get anything close to 50+ that was still 1080p and was made by a good company (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc). Now that it's possible, my next TV will most likely be a 60. I'm just waiting to see what happens with the 3DTV craze.

It's a shame all the companies gave up on rear projection sets. Three years ago you could get a Sony 60" SXRD rear projection from Amazon for like $1200. I wasn't lucky enough to get mine from Amazon, but I am glad I managed to get one. I have no idea what people have been doing for decent size TVs since then. I just checked Best Buy and they have a grand total of two 60" plasma and three 60" LCD. The bulk of their products are under 49".

I guess people have either given up on the whole "theater experience" idea or they are sitting a lot closer these days. It's odd, since you would need a large screen size to take advantage of 1080p anyway.

*edit* added text to clarify I meant rear projection and not stand-alone projectors

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Zing said:
It's a shame all the companies gave up on projection. Three years ago you could get a Sony 60" SXRD rear projection from Amazon for like $1200. I wasn't lucky enough to get mine from Amazon, but I am glad I managed to get one. I have no idea what people have been doing for decent size TVs since then. I just checked Best Buy and they have a grand total of two 60" plasma and three 60" LCD. The bulk of their products are under 49".

I guess people have either given up on the whole "theater experience" idea or they are sitting a lot closer these days. It's odd, since you would need a large screen size to take advantage of 1080p anyway.

I doubt his setup would be ideal for a projector anyways....glass windows all around.

You're right regarding the viewing distance, but it's an older set and I'm sure he'll upgrade appropriately. No need to knock him for it.

jax (old)

Banned
1289086789.jpg

excuse the poor iphone 3G photo

samsung 52" series 6
ps3slim just under the edge of the tv/ x360 under. wii disconnected but wiimote is there under the tv as well somewhere.

tjohn86

Jax said:
1289086789.jpg

excuse the poor iphone 3G photo

samsung 52" series 6
ps3slim just under the edge of the tv/ x360 under. wii disconnected but wiimote is there under the tv as well somewhere.

Where did you get the tv stand and does it come in black?

Finally got the main living/AV room and my office/secondary AV room into some kind of semi-respectable shape.

I love the size of the DLP TV but it's definitely showing its age, need to shop around and see if there's anything LCD/Plasma at a comparable size (61") that doesn't cost the earth.

5152329771_0310d03440_b.jpg

5152938172_28c1a1639e_b.jpg

This room isn't finished yet but it's a handy ante-room for media storage and for reading or anything else you want to do that doesn't involve staring at the TV (I admit I haven't thought of anything yet).

5152342237_e19549fdda_b.jpg

Office. Left station is for work, right station is for PC gaming.

5152330309_b7ce9c2e0d_b.jpg

Reverse view of office.

5152938714_5ca8f0d16a_b.jpg

ZZMitch

IMG_20101107_183313.jpg

Finally got my gaming pc! Life is good.

My tv set up is not finished yet, since I need a blu ray player to replace the PS3 (and Xbox 360) that I recently sold.

My Wii is still going stong though! :D

ithorien

Zing said:

Definitely the same issue as Tabris here. I bought a 40" Sony for $3300, going any higher would have broken my bank and then some. Then again, for some it's also an issue of space & layout. In my apartment the 40" fits perfectly, so even though it's a little further away than it "should" be, it ties everything together.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ithorien said:
Definitely the same issue as Tabris here. I bought a 40" Sony for $3300, going any higher would have broken my bank and then some. Then again, for some it's also an issue of space & layout. In my apartment the 40" fits perfectly, so even though it's a little further away than it "should" be, it ties everything together.
It's amazing how far TV prices have come.

My first (of four) plasmas was a 42" Toshiba with a resolution of 1024x768. Thing cost me $3300 as well back in 2006. Next up was a Pioneer 42" 1024x768 plasma for $3000 then a 50" first generation Pioneer Kuro 1366x768 for $2800 and finally my current second gen Kuro 1080p 50" for $2200. Of course I sold the other plasmas off, but still lost money in the end.

I have no desire to upgrade (though we did add a 42" LED backlit LCD upstairs, which pales in comparison to the Pioneer but still gets the job done). The only upgrade I would really consider would be a 60" Pioneer Elite of the same generation as my current Kuro. Rare as hell and also stupidly expensive (was a $10000 set when it was first released).

TV tech has hit a wall and we have not progressed from Pioneer's work in 2008. :( The very best LED backlit local dimming displays still don't hold a candle to them. That's not to say they don't have a few advantages, but overall, the image quality is much worse across a wide variety of content.

It's shocking to walk by a 40" Sony LCD for $500 that is quite superior to an older Sony LCD you may have purchased years ago.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
This thread makes me want to renovate the basement pronto, but it's a bit too wet down there. Only during super heavy rain, but still. Sump pump just in case. Could do a subfloor, but who knows. I'm not handy myself, would have to hire it out and I'd be scared of the pricing.

Anyway, what color are your walls, brentech, I want to know NOW. :) I honestly love that color brown and would paint a room that. My office...it reminds me of yours, or used to until we converted it into a play room. Sigh.

I wonder how many of these beautiful set-ups are homes with children. I can't imagine very many. Things are too...pretty. In my house, my son is like a tornado and he's only 16 months old.

ithorien

dark10x said:
It's amazing how far TV prices have come.

My first (of four) plasmas was a 42" Toshiba with a resolution of 1024x768. Thing cost me $3300 as well back in 2006. Next up was a Pioneer 42" 1024x768 plasma for $3000 then a 50" first generation Pioneer Kuro 1366x768 for $2800 and finally my current second gen Kuro 1080p 50" for $2200. Of course I sold the other plasmas off, but still lost money in the end.

I have no desire to upgrade (though we did add a 42" LED backlit LCD upstairs, which pales in comparison to the Pioneer but still gets the job done). The only upgrade I would really consider would be a 60" Pioneer Elite of the same generation as my current Kuro. Rare as hell and also stupidly expensive (was a $10000 set when it was first released).

TV tech has hit a wall and we have not progressed from Pioneer's work in 2008. :( The very best LED backlit local dimming displays still don't hold a candle to them. That's not to say they don't have a few advantages, but overall, the image quality is much worse across a wide variety of content.

It's shocking to walk by a 40" Sony LCD for $500 that is quite superior to an older Sony LCD you may have purchased years ago.

I think the worst part of your and my mention is not only how far the prices dropped, but what was considered a "good" price back then. I purchased my set in 2006 getting ready for the PS3 launch, it was the top of the line 40" Full HD Bravia, and $3300 was a good on sale price.

Top of the line 40" from Sony with all the bells and whistles is $1350 before tax now. It hurts to look.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Alfarif said:
So he can play while his wife watches TV.
I have no pictures right now since I'm at work, but since I no longer have an office of my own to game in, our living room is sorta divided in half. Once side is the living area with the sectional, television, etc. and on the other is my desk with my personal hdtv, computer, consoles, games, etc.

We started doing this years ago--my wife gets to watch her shows and not "hog" the tv from me, and I can game to my heart's content. We don't bother each other because I use headphones when people are the living room proper.

I highly recommend it--we bought a second, cheap HDTV for me when we were living in an apartment a few years back and it did wonders to alleviate my resentment of her hogging the tv until late at night. Now that we live in a home of our own we still do it. I actually like being in the same room as the rest of the family instead of a separate room/office. She just has to beckon me with a hand in my peripheral vision across the room if she needs me when I have headphones on. :)

ithorien

Kelegacy said:
I have no pictures right now since I'm at work, but since I no longer have an office of my own to game in, our living room is sorta divided in half. Once side is the living area with the sectional, television, etc. and on the other is my desk with my personal hdtv, computer, consoles, games, etc.

We started doing this years ago--my wife gets to watch her shows and not "hog" the tv from me, and I can game to my heart's content. We don't bother each other because I use headphones when people are the living room proper.

I highly recommend it--we bought a second, cheap HDTV for me when we were living in an apartment a few years back and it did wonders to alleviate my resentment of her hogging the tv until late at night. Now that we live in a home of our own we still do it. I actually like being in the same room as the rest of the family instead of a separate room/office. She just has to beckon me with a hand in my peripheral vision across the room if she needs me when I have headphones on. :)

My wife and I moved into a new place a while back, and our plan was to do this from the get-go.

panorama.png

Since we moved in, I lost the second monitor however (can't see it too well in the pic). This xmas I plan on getting an upgrade to my current and making that my secondary, with the upgrade having all the right inputs to game on. Like you say, it works very well especially when she has friends over for study sessions.

Top Bottom