• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake | State of Play Trailer

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
was the combat good in the original? I remember it being shitballz , that's pretty much why I couldn't get into the originals

No. Combat has always been awful in Silent Hill games. This was partially by design and partially due to the team's small size and lack of knowledge. The first four games even offered 10 star rankings you could earn and if you wanted to get those ranks, you had to essentially avoid battles for half the game outside of around 75 kills via shooting and 75 kills via melee attacks. You had to painstakingly manage a very exact number while maintaining speed, low saves, and low hits.

Silent Hill's focus was always the narrative, atmosphere, and puzzles.

In original SH the combat was there for self-defence not going commando with up their ass like trained agent.

SH is not RE and it shouldn’t try to be, they are two very different type of survival horror games.
so yeah! basically some things are better off in the past!

kunonabi

The "awfulness" of Silent Hill combat is overblown. They were adding 180 turns, back steps, moving and shooting, strafing, blocking, and accuracy mechanics well ahead of their contemporaries. The combat was perfectly functional and suited what they needed it do. And every attempt by other dev teams to "fix" it failed miserably. And yes that includes downpour and homecoming and mostly likely this remake by the look of things. I mean SH2 was the least combat focused game of the original bunch anyway so trying to make it a big selling point is a very odd decision to begin with.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Silent hill always sounded interesting to me, one of the reasons I never played it is because it’s just not widely available.

hyperbertha

I would really like to know wth people were expecting. This looks exactly like I imagined it would. Sh2 was somewhat overrated anyway. It's borderline unplayable now.

Barlow

GFWTjCCXAAA0XZq

SkylineRKR

Konami being Konami.

Combat wasn't much of a thing in SH2 and I barely remember anything about it. They should've made a trailer that focused on the psychological horror going on in this game.

This will put fans off, and new gamers won't give a fuck either way.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I always taken anything he says with a grain of salt. That being said, Konami marketing blending clips from older and newer builds sounds totally on brand. "pie_tears_joy:
Well didn't someone say Silent Hill 2 wouldn't be shown at this State of Play when it was announced and then we got The Short Message & Silent Hill 2.
Maybe Konami had different ideas and just cut a video together because they wanted it on the back of their in-house The Short Message announcement that obviously Bloober wasn't aware of.

MiguelItUp

Well didn't someone say Silent Hill 2 wouldn't be shown at this State of Play when it was announced and then we got The Short Message & Silent Hill 2.
Maybe Konami had different ideas and just cut a video together because they wanted it on the back of their in-house The Short Message announcement that obviously Bloober wasn't aware of.
The one leak I saw said it would, but nothing about The Short Message. But who knows, people were saying everything, lol. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. It just looks really messy of Konami, but also completely on brand. Makes me feel bad for Bloober, already felt bad for them when they felt the need to do this...

Reactions: TGO

peronmls

No. Combat has always been awful in Silent Hill games. This was partially by design and partially due to the team's small size and lack of knowledge. The first four games even offered 10 star rankings you could earn and if you wanted to get those ranks, you had to essentially avoid battles for half the game outside of around 75 kills via shooting and 75 kills via melee attacks. You had to painstakingly manage a very exact number while maintaining speed, low saves, and low hits.

Silent Hill's focus was always the narrative, atmosphere, and puzzles.
Silent hill combat was never “shit/awful”. There is no such thing. The developers want you to run away when overwhelmed. Main characters hit weird because they are normal people with pipes and sticks in hand. They are not trained CIA agents or anime characters with style. Heather in SH3 even screams when she fires her first bullet because she does not know what she is doing. This being said, SH2 remake, if you are going to have the characters feel “jank” for the lack of combat they have then you better make sure it looks that way and not because the animations look awful. In this case SH2re animations are just bad. Reason being, Bloober has a lack of 3rd person games and animations in general.

My god, this is NOT how Silent Hill 2 should be reintroduced. Remove the title and you'll assume this is a knockoff RE: Remake. God dammit, why can't they get it right???

FunkMiller

My god, this is NOT how Silent Hill 2 should be reintroduced. Remove the title and you'll assume this is a knockoff RE: Remake. God dammit, why can't they get it right???

Because none of the developers who made the Silent Hill games are involved in this remake, and Konami only care about making as much profit for as little effort at possible... and I guess they feel a RE remake clone will make them more cash than a proper attempt at remaking SH2. The sad thing is they might well be right. SH2 is a dark psychological drama with a complex plot and actual adult themes. That doesn't sell well to a gaming community that wants big and flashy, over thoughtful and introspective.

Konami are a giant shit box of a company, but RE sells extremely well and Silent Hill never really did. Kojima was probably the only chance we had for a SH game that was as weird, messed up and niche as the originals were. Now we're stuck with corporate idiots hiring cheap devs to shit out RE clone SH games that might make their budget back if they don't do a completely terrible job.

The shooting didn't look good. A game like RE2 Remake that's already a couple of years older than this looks waaaay better. While I think you shoot way less frequent than in RE2, I'm still a firm believer that if you include mechanics they should stand on their own. If you implement shooting, even for a fraction of the game, make it good or leave it out. I don't know if it has a similar budget as the RE remakes but damn, even lower budget games have better shooting mechanics and feedback (at least from the looks of it).

Otherwise I didn't think the shown stuff was too bad. I wasn't blown away either, but it looked decent enough to be interested in.
Indeed, when you implement a mechanic that is geared specifically for a certain playstyle, you can't escape the expectations that come with it. Using this mode on SH2 of all games shows a lack of understanding of theme, tone and game mechanic harmony.
This will be a nice, nostalgic trip back to the wonderful world of Silent Hill 2, with some new touches. I'd rather play a new version than replaying the old version. It's gonna be cool. Not expecting anything more/else than that.
A nice 10-12 hours of fun, and then on to new stuff. All good.
The original will still be out there for anyone who want to experience it. It's one of my favourite games btw.
Fun???? I remember that this was the first game that made me cry. Knowing what just transpired made me feel like utter shit, it was as if I was James and embody experience through the game. Not accusing you of being a psychopath but this looks like a comment you get playing COD or Battlefield than Silent Hill.
A lot of people here haven't played SH2 (or any other episode for the matter) for a long time, and it shows.

I replayed it last year, and man the melee system was so awful. So much jank.

In the original, on hard it takes 14-15 hits to put down a fucking basic ennemy, with a slow ass animation that takes forever. This is just for one ennemy...
This trailer showed much better combat and view. Yes it's far from perfect but trust me it's way better than the original.

The real problem is the sound effect on the gun, it's trash. Others sounds were kinda good to me.
I don't think it lived up to the first trailer graphically though.

And I also lol'd hard at people who said the trailer focused on action and that's not what SH2 is about. Yes, we know, but most people asked for gameplay when they showed the first reveal trailer, which focused entirely on story and cinematics, so exactly what people are asking today.

People are always negative here and most of the time for bad reasons, or showing their lack of knowledge on the subject. And at the same time when they should be overly suspicious or negative for a game that's obviously lying on its presentation (Star Wars Outlaws... everything screams the faked curated presentation and we will probably see a downgrade), they seem completely clueless.

Like those comparisons between Ghost and Rise of the Ronin. I mean, can you fly in Ghost ? No. So the Z-axis is mostly not used and costs way less computing ressources. And yes, Team Ninja is not renowned for graphics, it's a challenge to go open world for them. The game looked clean to me, textures looked nice, nothing incredible for sure, grass and foliage was well animated and with good LOD, but those "PS3" takes man... just shows how much people's memories have rose tinted glass on them. To me the animation was really weird sometimes (that horse animation ugh...), and yes the game seems sparse in its presentation, particularly in town (but at the same time, at this period I don't think the towns were full with people), but yes it lacks ground objects and details that seemed to be present on the first reveal.

Same thing with Dragon's Dogma 2 : the game is very heavy on the CPU. And yes, it looks like a good PS4 game with 4k resolution. I mean, most of the PS4 games were 1080p so 4x the resolution demands 4x the power. 1.8 TF x 4 = 7.2 which leaves some ressources to make the game more beautiful. Not that complicated.
Yes today we have FSR and DLSS (on PC), which allows the devs to push the limits farther. But show me an open world full of encounters (NPCs and foes), with 4 allies, so around 20 characters on screen with a lot of interactivity with each others, full action, with magic that can summon dragons, tornados and comets, all with their own specific AI.
Umm.. yes that was the point, mate. Even as a teenager I immediately KNEW from playing Silent Hill 1 that it was NO Resident Evil. And I played it right after! So everytime I see an enemy I bail out as fast as possible or engage in combat only to create an opening of escape. The game is telling you DONT KILL EVERYTHING ON SITE!

This is... logical even for a kid. How come people don't get this??
Because none of the developers who made the Silent Hill games are involved in this remake, and Konami only care about making as much profit for as little effort at possible... and I guess they feel a RE remake clone will make them more cash than a proper attempt at remaking SH2. The sad thing is they might well be right. SH2 is a dark psychological drama with a complex plot and actual adult themes. That doesn't sell well to a gaming community that wants big and flashy, over thoughtful and introspective.

Konami are a giant shit box of a company, but RE sells extremely well and Silent Hill never really did. Kojima was probably the only chance we had for a SH game that was as weird, messed up and niche as the originals were. Now we're stuck with corporate idiots hiring cheap devs to shit out RE clone SH games that might make their budget back if they don't do a completely terrible job.
It was a rhetorical question but yeah I get your point.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I thought Yamaoka was involved?

Hudo

was the combat good in the original? I remember it being shitballz , that's pretty much why I couldn't get into the originals
I never played (and enjoyed) the Silent Hill games for the combat. That's not what these games are about, imho.

Resident Evil is the opposite for me; RE games are pretty much useless as horror and "adventure games with tension" but the combat feels good enough, especially in RE4.

Variahunter

Indeed, when you implement a mechanic that is geared specifically for a certain playstyle, you can't escape the expectations that come with it. Using this mode on SH2 of all games shows a lack of understanding of theme, tone and game mechanic harmony.

Fun???? I remember that this was the first game that made me cry. Knowing what just transpired made me feel like utter shit, it was as if I was James and embody experience through the game. Not accusing you of being a psychopath but this looks like a comment you get playing COD or Battlefield than Silent Hill.

Umm.. yes that was the point, mate. Even as a teenager I immediately KNEW from playing Silent Hill 1 that it was NO Resident Evil. And I played it right after! So everytime I see an enemy I bail out as fast as possible or engage in combat only to create an opening of escape. The game is telling you DONT KILL EVERYTHING ON SITE!

This is... logical even for a kid. How come people don't get this??

It was a rhetorical question but yeah I get your point.
Sometimes you have to kill them, like when you in the apartments because you won’t be able to navigate insides the corridors otherwise.

So it’s shit no matter what.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What dismays me is that 1 year ago Bloober said that the game was practically finished, a year has passed and they still don't have a release date? 😐

Top Bottom