• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake | State of Play Trailer

Filben

The shooting didn't look good. A game like RE2 Remake that's already a couple of years older than this looks waaaay better. While I think you shoot way less frequent than in RE2, I'm still a firm believer that if you include mechanics they should stand on their own. If you implement shooting, even for a fraction of the game, make it good or leave it out. I don't know if it has a similar budget as the RE remakes but damn, even lower budget games have better shooting mechanics and feedback (at least from the looks of it).

Otherwise I didn't think the shown stuff was too bad. I wasn't blown away either, but it looked decent enough to be interested in.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The shooting didn't look good. A game like RE2 Remake that's already a couple of years older than this looks waaaay better. While I think you shoot way less frequent than in RE2, I'm still a firm believer that if you include mechanics they should stand on their own. If you implement shooting, even for a fraction of the game, make it good or leave it out. I don't know if it has a similar budget as the RE remakes but damn, even lower budget games have better shooting mechanics and feedback (at least from the looks of it).

Otherwise I didn't think the shown stuff was too bad. I wasn't blown away either, but it looked decent enough to be interested in.

James has never been to a shooting range. What do you expect

MiguelItUp

People are being too hard on it and only seeing negative in its gameplay. I for one think its going to be fine 🤷‍♂️. Alot of bias towards the developer. If this trailer was the same but with a random japanese dev attached, people wouldn’t care as much.
*Some people.

Some folks are genuinely disappointed or concerned, like myself, and I'm not biased towards Bloober, nor do I favor certain regional developers over others.

Just watched the trailer again and I don't think it looks great at all. Some visuals look solid, some don't. The gun sounds (especially the pistol/handgun sound particularly bizarre. The combat itself just seems/looks off a bit. But the overall "creepy" and "immersive" vibe from the second game felt totally absent in this. Sure, it being combat focused didn't help, but also, who cared more about the combat than anything else?

This is all coming from someone that has always adored SH2. Am I completely shitting on the game before it releases? Not at all. I just think what's been shown is concerning. Especially when Bloober has insinuated that it's complete and in the polishing phase. Yet, to me, this footage looks a lot rougher than that. Then to top it off we still don't get a date, which is also pretty concerning IMO.

All while Sony is supporting/backing this. I admit I was on the fence from the get-go because of how much SH2 means to me, but a part of me honestly thought the next trailer was going to at least feel better than this. At least I would've hoped.

Also, this made me laugh pretty hard.
4lTwhnz.png

We've got bubble head nurses hopping over cover like this is some kind of Gears of War inspired game. :pie_roffles:

People are being too hard on it and only seeing negative in its gameplay. I for one think its going to be fine 🤷‍♂️. Alot of bias towards the developer. If this trailer was the same but with a random japanese dev attached, people wouldn’t care as much.
Imagine the next Mario game developed by the team from Balan Wonderworld. Yeah, people would have a bias and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

This will be a nice, nostalgic trip back to the wonderful world of Silent Hill 2, with some new touches. I'd rather play a new version than replaying the old version. It's gonna be cool. Not expecting anything more/else than that.
A nice 10-12 hours of fun, and then on to new stuff. All good.
The original will still be out there for anyone who want to experience it. It's one of my favourite games btw.

leizzra

To be fair, the trailer probably wasn't made by Bloober and has some outdated scenes. Still I don't like it but this is what I was expecting from them. I think that they would be far better with the kind of remake like Bluepoint was doing. Virtuos is doing this with MGS3 but I think Bloober is better in terms of the style and the mood.

Last edited:
*Some people.

Some folks are genuinely disappointed or concerned, like myself, and I'm not biased towards Bloober, nor do I favor certain regional developers over others.

Just watched the trailer again and I don't think it looks great at all. Some visuals look solid, some don't. The gun sounds (especially the pistol/handgun sound particularly bizarre. The combat itself just seems/looks off a bit. But the overall "creepy" and "immersive" vibe from the second game felt totally absent in this. Sure, it being combat focused didn't help, but also, who cared more about the combat than anything else?

This is all coming from someone that has always adored SH2. Am I completely shitting on the game before it releases? Not at all. I just think what's been shown is concerning. Especially when Bloober has insinuated that it's complete and in the polishing phase. Yet, to me, this footage looks a lot rougher than that. Then to top it off we still don't get a date, which is also pretty concerning IMO.

All while Sony is supporting/backing this. I admit I was on the fence from the get-go because of how much SH2 means to me, but a part of me honestly thought the next trailer was going to at least feel better than this. At least I would've hoped.

Also, this made me laugh pretty hard.
4lTwhnz.png

We've got bubble head nurses hopping over cover like this is some kind of Gears of War inspired game. :pie_roffles:
The unintentional comedy of a sexy undead nurse vaulting like in a cover shooter TPS did not escape me.

Now think of the design intent behind this. How much thought went into what this enemy type actually represents in the game's lore before someone thought this was a good idea to implement? It must be zero because it makes absolutely no sense and looks silly as fuck to boot.

That's the kind of thing why I think Bloober have no clue what they're doing beyond "make it Resi Remake, that shit sells like hot cakes".As a bonus, combat looks The Sinking City tier. I'm playing that right now and the animations immediately reminded me of that jank fest.

MiguelItUp

The unintentional comedy of a sexy undead nurse vaulting like in a cover shooter TPS did not escape me.

Now think of the design intent behind this. How much thought went into what this enemy type actually represents in the game's lore before someone thought this was a good idea to implement? It must be zero because it makes absolutely no sense and looks silly as fuck to boot.

That's the kind of thing why I think Bloober have no clue what they're doing beyond "make it Resi Remake, that shit sells like hot cakes". As a bonus, combat looks The Sinking City tier. I'm playing that right now and the animations immediately reminded me of that jank fest.
Exactly. I can't help but feel that the combat resembles the quality of random Unity/Unreal horror games on Steam developed by 1 person or a small team. But this is supposed to be so much larger. A trailer is meant to impress people or get their interest and attention. It may have done that for some, but for me it's done the opposite.

Last edited:
James has never been to a shooting range. What do you expect
And yet the trailer gameplay footage is entirely TPS focused. That argument made sense in the original game where enemies presented obstacles to navigate rather than a TPS shooting gallery.

That's the baffling part. Who was asking for a button-mashing to get out of grabs, nurses vaulting type of TPS version of SH2?

I swear you people are never happy. It looks great. Release date when?

No wonder we don't get new silent hill games. you folks did the same thing with Downpour (another great game) . Bitched and wined about graphics, and jank. These games don't have to be photo realistic to the extreme. They just have to portray atmosphere, and all this one needs to do is update the graphics a tad without loosing the feeling that is silent hill 2. If they can do that and keep the plot the same without making it for "modern audiences" then I will be thrilled.
Can't wait for this and hopefully it plays good so the Debbie downers in here can shut the traps about it, but they will never be satisfied. Same types that bitched about FF16 not looking good enough for their ultra expensive oled displays.... graphics whores gah.

OR there is the other types... "not playing because team silent didn't make it".... this again is why we don't have new single player (non f2p) silent hill games. You people don't buy the games and compare everything to sh2 and 3. I loved SH2, but also homecoming, shattered memories and downpour, each was unique and underrated. If you don't buy it or push out narratives that it is bad, then don't expect them to make another silent hill game again.

Last edited:
Exactly. I can't help but feel that the combat resembles the quality of random Unity/Unreal horror games on Steam developed by 1 person or a small team. But this is supposed to be so much larger. A trailer is meant to impress people or get their interest and attention. It may have done that for some, but for me it's done the opposite.
If they're gonna turn SH2 into a silly TPS, at least go like full Vanquish or RE6. Give James a floor slide move, molotovs, wall run, a fucking Contra style top down stage where you ride a tank and blow up Brookhaven hospital after a "FUKK DEM JAMMED DOORS BRUH" line.

Generic

After reading the comments I watched the trailer expecting something bad and yet... it looks completely normal. The fact you can properly aim in this game already makes the combat better than the original.

That's the kind of thing why I think Bloober have no clue what they're doing beyond "make it Resi Remake, that shit sells like hot cakes".As a bonus, combat looks The Sinking City tier. I'm playing that right now and the animations immediately reminded me of that jank fest.
Imagine complaining about the devs adding more mobility to the enemies.

ShadowLag

Visually the game is looking very solid, I just hope the amount of combat shown is just some overblown marketing fluff to make the game sell more than 50k copies. Not bothered by the change to TPS or the combat at all; the original SH2 had agonizing "combat". Just keep it survival horror (low ammo, low health, scary enemies) and it'll work.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Visually the game is looking very solid, I just hope the amount of combat shown is just some overblown marketing fluff to make the game sell more than 50k copies. Not bothered by the change to TPS or the combat at all; the original SH2 had agonizing "combat". Just keep it survival horror (low ammo, low health, scary enemies) and it'll work.

Thank GIF

I know a lot of people will be moaning about the graphics but i like how it looks very similar to the orig game, only better if you get me.

Feels very authentic but with a touch up.
Yes, really confusing some of the opinions in here. I guess we will never get a new silent hill game as these people won't accept anything except team silent game which will never happen. I thought the trailer was great. I have been playing silent hill since the first. Loved loved sh2, top tier, but I also thought home coming, shattered memories and downpour were good games too. People are too picky and my hope of a new silent hill after this are squashed.

If we do get a new one, it will be f2p trash for "modern audiences and the tik tok gen, eww".

Variahunter

A lot of people here haven't played SH2 (or any other episode for the matter) for a long time, and it shows.

I replayed it last year, and man the melee system was so awful. So much jank.

In the original, on hard it takes 14-15 hits to put down a fucking basic ennemy, with a slow ass animation that takes forever. This is just for one ennemy...
This trailer showed much better combat and view. Yes it's far from perfect but trust me it's way better than the original.
The real problem is the sound effect on the gun, it's trash. Others sounds were kinda good to me.
I don't think it lived up to the first trailer graphically though.

And I also lol'd hard at people who said the trailer focused on action and that's not what SH2 is about. Yes, we know, but most people asked for gameplay when they showed the first reveal trailer, which focused entirely on story and cinematics, so exactly what people are asking today.

People are always negative here and most of the time for bad reasons, or showing their lack of knowledge on the subject. And at the same time when they should be overly suspicious or negative for a game that's obviously lying on its presentation (Star Wars Outlaws... everything screams the faked curated presentation and we will probably see a downgrade), they seem completely clueless.

Like those comparisons between Ghost and Rise of the Ronin. I mean, can you fly in Ghost ? No. So the Z-axis is mostly not used and costs way less computing ressources. And yes, Team Ninja is not renowned for graphics, it's a challenge to go open world for them. The game looked clean to me, textures looked nice, nothing incredible for sure, grass and foliage was well animated and with good LOD, but those "PS3" takes man... just shows how much people's memories have rose tinted glass on them. To me the animation was really weird sometimes (that horse animation ugh...), and yes the game seems sparse in its presentation, particularly in town (but at the same time, at this period I don't think the towns were full with people), but yes it lacks ground objects and details that seemed to be present on the first reveal.

Same thing with Dragon's Dogma 2 : the game is very heavy on the CPU. And yes, it looks like a good PS4 game with 4k resolution. I mean, most of the PS4 games were 1080p so 4x the resolution demands 4x the power. 1.8 TF x 4 = 7.2 which leaves some ressources to make the game more beautiful. Not that complicated.
Yes today we have FSR and DLSS (on PC), which allows the devs to push the limits farther. But show me an open world full of encounters (NPCs and foes), with 4 allies, so around 20 characters on screen with a lot of interactivity with each others, full action, with magic that can summon dragons, tornados and comets, all with their own specific AI.

Last edited:
It’s weird when people seem to think that by playing a remake they are actually playing the original.

You want to experience Silent Hill 2? Play it. This isn’t it, and will never be it. You won’t be playing the ‘GOAT’ by definition.

You won’t be playing what you’ve seen gamers rave about for 22 years. They played something else. You want that? Play that.
Have fun with that.... the price for entry is a ps2 and $150 game used.

Sad to think i got rid of the game in 2013 as I had the hd collection , then my ps3 died.
Apparently the hd collection has issues but I didn't see them. i only played it for a few hours though.

If sony would actually put ps2 games on psn, none of this would be an issue.

Have fun with that.... the price for entry is a ps2 and $150 game used.

Sad to think i got rid of the game in 2013 as I had the hd collection , then my ps3 died.
Apparently the hd collection has issues but I didn't see them. i only played it for a few hours though.

If sony would actually put ps2 games on psn, none of this would be an issue.

That's the "good" thing about Metal Gear 3 remake. No matter how hard they fuck it up, at least they also released the original version alongside it, i.e. the collection a few months back. For Silent Hill 2 there's no good version legally available rn and we're left with this shit here.

All platforms need good BC before wasting resources on all these remakes which range from middling to completely redundant (Last of Us) to "great but literally a completely different game (RE2)".

You’re searching for something you’ll never find.

And yet the actual game that was the actual basis for the reason for you to want to play this….exists. You can play it.

So you don’t need to go on a delusional journey to find something impossible.

You will never, ever understand what the people who praise SH2 were talking about. Supposedly you’re really interested but you also refuse to play the game.

I wish I could make it make sense, but that’s the remake culture for you.

Just look at your own writing - ‘good enough to experience SH2 for the first time’.

This isn’t Silent Hill 2. That’s something you refuse to touch. You won’t be experiencing it for the first time; you’ll never experience it.

You don’t *want* to experience it. You want to experience some *idea* of Silent Hill 2.
You going to lend him the $150 to buy a used copy? Shit I see on ebay $80 just for case and manual no game. Its insane. I got the game for $5 used at gamestop in 2008 or 2009 when i got a ps2 for the first time (i already had a ps3 but skipped ps2 as i was mainly pc gamer) They were all over the place then as were other ps2 games. I also got sh3. Played sh2 and loved it. Played Sh1 back on the ps1 a decade before that.

I stupidly sold them as I had the hd collection on ps3 and figured why play sd ps2 games when these will work fine.
That ps3 broke and i never replayed it completion. I went to look for sh2 a few years back and couldn't belive the price.

How did the price rocket up so much. SH wasn't even that big of a thing back in the day. I don't understand the surge in popularity, youtube and streamers?

It would be nice if we could all go back and play the game but at that asking price for a used copy, its just too much.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I've watched this trailer multiple times now and it's shocking how it looks absolutely nothing like silent Hill 2.

I can barely figure out what locations are where or what set pieces we are seeing.

The audio for the trailer was shockingly bad too.

Blooper gonna bloop

MiguelItUp

After reading the comments I watched the trailer expecting something bad and yet... it looks completely normal. The fact you can properly aim in this game already makes the combat better than the original.
Of course I can't disagree with that, the controls and combat was janky then and still didn't age well. But even if the combat "feels" or "looks" better, there's still a lot there that concerns me via that trailer personally.

Doom85

They should have given it to Japanese developers, frankly. I don't think westerners really know how to do that creepy, weird, off kilter thing that the Japanese do so effortlessly. See also Ju On, The Ring etc. etc.

The video game series taking influence from western horror films such as Jacob’s Ladder and Session 9 can’t be done correctly by westerners?

Confused Will Ferrell GIF

Don’t get me wrong, SH Homecoming is a creatively bankrupt piece of shit and Downpour is mostly wasted potential (except the monster design, which has no potential and is just awful in that game), but I’m not going to write off every single western developer over that. Especially given the massive comeback American horror films have made in the 2010s to today. I sadly can’t find it these days, but there was a great YouTube video talking about why foreign horror movies blew up so much in the American horror fandom in the 2000s decade was because that decade was so terrible for American horror films, almost everything was torture porn or mostly lame remakes.

But then the following decade horror started to make a comeback with stuff like The Conjuring and then A24’s stuff really took off, and suddenly the American fandom started talking about recent foreign horror films less compared to before. It’s not that there aren’t recent quality foreign horror films out there, we’re just no longer as limited in good options as we were before.

Also, it’s worth pointing out Kojima flat out said that Alan Wake 2 feels a lot like the vibe he had planned for Silent Hills.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I can’t believe that the people arguing that “the combat is better” aren’t trolling.
I mean, you played SH2 and didn’t get the glaringly obvious fact that it wasn’t an action game and that combat and aiming was janky for, again, glaringly obvious reasons?
Why are you even waiting for the remake if if’s clear that you didn’t get what the original was even about?

I’m far from a SH2 fan. I’ll never change my mind about the original game not being as subtle as many people seem to believe. But yeah, imagine making it even less subtle and calling it an improvement.

The reviews are gonna be hilarious.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I can’t believe that the people arguing that “the combat is better” aren’t trolling.
I mean, you played SH2 and didn’t get the glaringly obvious fact that it wasn’t an action game and that combat and aiming was janky for, again, glaringly obvious reasons?
Why are you even waiting for the remake if if’s clear that you didn’t get what the original was even about?

I’m far from a SH2 fan. I’ll never change my mind about the original game not being as subtle as many people seem to believe. But yeah, imagine making it even less subtle and calling it an improvement.

The reviews are gonna be hilarious.

Mind explaining? Ive only ever played the first one to completion and this was way back when it first released. I do def distinctly remember the lack of a focus on combat and more of it being all about atmosphere, tone, puzzles and story.

That part where you're in the school, with your static radio going off and those little humanoid creatures roaming around is the first time a game legit made me terrified to play until PT released so many years later.

You going to lend him the $150 to buy a used copy? Shit I see on ebay $80 just for case and manual no game. Its insane. I got the game for $5 used at gamestop in 2008 or 2009 when i got a ps2 for the first time (i already had a ps3 but skipped ps2 as i was mainly pc gamer) They were all over the place then as were other ps2 games. I also got sh3. Played sh2 and loved it. Played Sh1 back on the ps1 a decade before that.

I stupidly sold them as I had the hd collection on ps3 and figured why play sd ps2 games when these will work fine.
That ps3 broke and i never replayed it completion. I went to look for sh2 a few years back and couldn't belive the price.

How did the price rocket up so much. SH wasn't even that big of a thing back in the day. I don't understand the surge in popularity, youtube and streamers?

It would be nice if we could all go back and play the game but at that asking price for a used copy, its just too much.
I think one of the big drivers is that the HD Collection is notoriously fucking terrible. And it's not blown out of proportion. It's a terrible version.

The best way to play is the modded PC version. The work that team did is incredible.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've commented a few times in the recent SH2 threads but I wanted add that while the melee looks goofy, I actually think it looks fun.

I'm in the camp that the trailer actually made me more interested than I've ever been for this game. People need to focus on the fact that nothing removes the OG game from existence. Just approach SH2 as a different game, because it is (obviously). I prefer the OG RE over REmake and I personally think the OG is better. I don't really care though because both can exist alongside each other and I enjoy both of them for what they are.

If the game flops it's on Bloober and Konami, just move on and continue to enjoy the OG. There really isn't a good reason for some people to be so outraged. It's just a waste of energy.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Mind explaining? Ive only ever played the first one to completion and this was way back when it first released. I do def distinctly remember the lack of a focus on combat and more of it being all about atmosphere, tone, puzzles and story.

That part where you're in the school, with your static radio going off and those little humanoid creatures roaming around is the first time a game legit made me terrified to play until PT released so many years later.
SH1 and 2 have janky combat because
1) the main character is an average Joe with zero shooting skills, and
2) most enemies aren‘t intelligent creatures, they‘re just jerky puppets that come at you and try to club you to death with no finesse whatsoever. Even the supposedly sentient ones are just bullet sponges, and battling them is mostly about who pumps enough hits into the other to kill before being killed. Virtually no enemy made an effort to dodge your attacks. Combat is infuriatingly rough in the first SH games, but that’s the point.

An aiming system is completely against the spirit of those games. You weren’t supposed to kill everything in sight. There were achievements about on-target shots that were notoriously tricky to get because your character would be able to miss shots even at point blank.

Killer8

There's an irony in seeing mega fans of a series which has always had pretty terrible combat, who were even known to throw around the hilarious "it's bad on purpose!" defense for years, be up in arms that the combat in its remake is also looking bad - as if this is some big affront to the original. I mean I don't exactly disagree that what was shown in the trailer looked poor, but the discourse has been very entertaining nonetheless lmao.

I'd posit that if you were to cut a trailer together comprised of original SH2 combat footage, without much of the rest of the beloved experience on display, then you'd also think that the game looked pretty dogshit. You can find as many 3 hour Youtube thesis arguing how the SH combat was secretly genius as you like, this was the raw reality of it:

Compared to the huge positivity of the remake's reveal trailer - which was mostly just exploration shots and cinematics - it seems like the misstep with this new trailer was not so much related to the quality of the combat itself, but to Konami being stupid enough to put what's traditionally been the weakest element of the series directly in the spotlight.

Hyped.

The "combat" in the original game is horrible and my biggest question going in to this was, what are they going to do for combat?

I'm not sure what any of you who are unsatisfied or disappointed were expecting but seems maybe you didn't play the OG...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
was the combat good in the original? I remember it being shitballz , that's pretty much why I couldn't get into the originals
In original SH the combat was there for self-defence not going commando with up their ass like trained agent.

SH is not RE and it shouldn’t try to be, they are two very different type of survival horror games.

Top Bottom