• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake | State of Play Trailer

MiguelItUp

The fog and some of the environments were the best part IMO. But what they showed felt like it was lacking in immersion and the "feel" that 2 had, at least in that little bit. Lighting and performance looked all wack too, you could see it in James' model. Like I said before, they said it was "done" for awhile, but it looks like this and there's still no date doesn't bode well at all IMO.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Shooting looks simply awful, the rest not great, but at least acceptable.
For Silent Hill game?
tumblr_m3p0udsaBD1r5prb1.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
When the OST kicks in and it feels like it’s being played over someone else’s interpretation of the game. That’s my only nit pick. I’m optimistic about this one. It could be great.

Gambit2483

Wasn't combat always kind of jank in these games? They either could have stayed true to the original, and people would have complained about jank combat, or attempted to improve it (they clearly aped RE) and people would complain its aping RE..🤷‍♂️

Hugare

Visuals: A
Everything else: C/D

Those animations, hit reaction, sound (gun sounds so muffled) look slightly better than the new Alone in the Dark

... I think I'll stick to the original

Last edited:

FunkMiller

How to completely misunderstand the entire aesthetic, tone and style of a game…

This is a Resident Evil clone. It is most assuredly not Silent Hill.

Creatively fucking bankrupt.

Last edited:

decisions

Am I crazy or does this game have some light cell shading going on? Especially in the dark. Bizarre choice.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
How to completely misunderstand the entire aesthetic, tone and style of a game…

This is a Resident Evil clone. It is most assuredly not Silent Hill.

Creatively fucking bankrupt.

Changing the camera perspective was our first clue. I think people underestimate the impact that will have.

FunkMiller

Changing the camera perspective was our first clue. I think people underestimate the impact that will have.

That‘s part of it… but multiple enemies on screen at once? James banging his way through loads of rounds of ammunition? The frenetic X button bashing?

All of it screams ‘we want the RE dollar’ and it doesn’t surprise me coming from Konami one little bit.

Bartski

Gold Member
Bloober figured making the combat trash tier is a way to stay true to the original.

Everything from animation, to vfx to hit reaction to even the gun sounds is utter shit. It's 2024, I expected a current gen SH and this honestly looked like an upres PS3 jank. And I did believe they can make this right, contrary to popular opinion I did like some earlier Bloober games.

What a crushing disappointment.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wasn't combat always kind of jank in these games? They either could have stayed true to the original, and people would have complained about jank combat, or attempted to improve it (they clearly aped RE) and people would complain its aping RE..🤷‍♂️

It was. But then combat is hardly the focus of Silent Hill 2.

Trailer wasn't put together with a fraction of the skill of the originals, but what was there footage-wise didn't put me off too much. So much of the impact was down to music and audio-design, so provided the choices made in-game are faithful to the PS2 version (and as I believe Yamaoka is on board... fingers crossed) I'm still interested.

That‘s part of it… but multiple enemies on screen at once? James banging his way through loads of rounds of ammunition? The frenetic X button bashing?

All of it screams ‘we want the RE dollar’ and it doesn’t surprise me coming from Konami one little bit.
Yeah - I'm not exactly sure how to feel quite yet, but this trailer did not instill a ton of hope. I am A-OK with the combat looking janky as hell - I feel like janky combat is fairly tonally consistent.

But that button mashing to get the creature off of James really frustrates me. You should tell me in the controls menu to mash X to push him off, not a giant flashing button on the screen. The series is at its best when it trusts the player to know what the buttons do, it really blends in with the immersion of the game, even if the combat is janky.

It should have had only a few shots of the combat, and the rest of atmosphere building scenes, perhaps even James avoiding some monsters. If they're putting an emphasis on Combat like this, I can only wonder if they're going to eliminate the multiple endings and their hidden metrics. Bloober were not the team to trust with this. They like their psychological horror, but they are a jankware studio, and not in a FromSoft/Team Silent complimentary way, either.

I went from very excited to cautiously optimistic, with as much emphasis on caution as they had on combat in the trailer. There are bones in there that I like, but some of that meat is unappetizing.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah - I'm not exactly sure how to feel quite yet, but this trailer did not instill a ton of hope. I am A-OK with the combat looking janky as hell - I feel like janky combat is fairly tonally consistent.

But that button mashing to get the creature off of James really frustrates me. You should tell me in the controls menu to mash X to push him off, not a giant flashing button on the screen. The series is at its best when it trusts the player to know what the buttons do, it really blends in with the immersion of the game, even if the combat is janky.

It should have had only a few shots of the combat, and the rest of atmosphere building scenes, perhaps even James avoiding some monsters. If they're putting an emphasis on Combat like this, I can only wonder if they're going to eliminate the multiple endings and their hidden metrics.

I went from very excited to cautiously optimistic, with as much emphasis on caution as they had on combat in the trailer. There are bones in there that I like, but some of that meat is unappetizing.

People keep saying RE2R Clone, but I honestly got more of a Silent Hill Origins vibe from the gameplay. Specifically the beta stuff they showed for SH0 pre launch. Granted, this is a trailer, basically a highlight reel, and the game is still in development, but....if it maintains this vibe, I have to wonder why anyone would take inspiration or notes from Origins of all things, as a starting point for remaking the magnum opus of the franchise.

Reminded me of that one 50 Cent game on the PS2, and just dollar store The Last of Us... The movement, shooting, and all...

Also, something about a game all about psychological horror, deeply personal emotions, and atmosphere getting a "Combat Reveal" really bothers me...

Anyway, I really wished Konami straight up said that Silent Hill is dead.
It would have been so much better then this.

Hyped for Silent Hill F, I guess...

Matsuchezz

What the hell you are talking about, gameplay in sh 2 was rubbish, I think I see better animation on the nurses and the creatures that spit liquid they were more rigid and robotic in the og, it would be nice if it was gorier like when you hit the creatures you could break bones, like the legs or Arms, or when you shot a nurse the dress could be damaged and torn apart. That would be so cool, or blow heads with the rifle or shotgun like In the last of us.

sound is not quite there but it is fixable I think the guns sound weak, the ost is rearranged by yamaoka himself so I have no doubt it will be good.

The button mashing hint I hope it can be removed from the gameplay.

The graphics could be better but I think the atmosphere and vibe is there. The wallpapers looks good enough but the texture when James is crossing from one building to the other looks super flat. Some work is needed there. Blobber suck with UE. Idk what is the latest tech is in the same line with bump mapping but improve that Blobber team.

I am most worried about the voice over and performance capture if there is any. I think the original voices were really good and the acting was ok. I hope they hired the same actors maybe Laura’s voice is replaced,

The game lacks polish that’s why it looks unfinished. I hope they are given more time to polish the game graphically. Or get assistance from SIE.
I am not pleased but I still want to play it. I like the change to TPOS, I can look at the town in more detail, but this game should have been given to more technically savvy studio.

Team silent no longer exists so there is no point to cling to the past regarding that.

Last edited:

Valt7786

I'm still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but that trailer did not capture the essence of Silent Hill 2 at all. Why try to make it look like an action game?

MiguelItUp

That's a good thing.

There's still time for them to cancel this and give it to a competent studio.

Bluepoint should be doing this, not these talentless hacks.
Yeaaaah, I really don't understand them saying the game was done awhile back, because this looks FAR from it. They implied they were in the polishing phase, but good god, why show this? Aside from the fog tech and some of the environment shots it looked like a run of the mill wannabe RE4-like game on Steam.

Montauk

My reaction: lol.

When you consider what Team Silent pulled off with SH 2 and 3, it’s hard to imagine the heights they could soar to with today’s hardware and advancements in programming and tech.

This ain’t it.

That said I really don’t think that graphics and presentation are going to be this games biggest problems.

BlueLyria

Tbh, some people might dislike it, but shattered memories was a great game, fun and I feel like it mostly kept the SH vibe, I wish they would just make it more like Shattered memories and drop the janky looking combat

Fret Runner

When I think “Silent Hill 2” it is definitely that we need a fucking Combat Reveal Trailer.
The original had trailers with combat in them too but we all know that was more so they could say "look we are like Resident Evil too!" and it was the early 2000s so it was always the underdog in that fight. Hell even pyramid head is shown multiple times in the originals trailers with no hype or build up and not hyped up like a fan fave mascot waiting for his own reveal trailer.

At least the music seems to be good, that’s something at least. Other than that I just can’t see anything that sells this for me at the moment.

It just keeps coming across like the Blooper devs only get Silent Hill 2 at a surface level. Like they are excited to remake Pyramid Head ohhhhh pyramid head isssss awesomeeeee right?! Wait till you see him in this! Ohhhh and not like the side that is a slow stroll into realising something deep and dark in the characters mind. The story and atmosphere should be what the focus is on and what sells this, not focusing on the fucking combat. especially after the long wait with no updates.
like, thanks for showing us the least important (arguably) part of Silent Hill 2 after the long wait. it makes me think that is what their priority is on. Ok guys we haven't given a update to the fans in a long time what should we show them that we are most proud of so far? ohhh I got it! the combat!

I’m by no means a snobby fan who thinks SH2 is some untouchable piece of art, no, just more confused how you can play the original and not see what made it so good and just remake that? Like just straight copy and paste it if you have to with better graphics and it’s the one game I wouldn’t give a shit about if that’s how they went about it. The original is that good it could get away with it easily.

SH2, and SH in general, is one of the few games that can completely sell itself based on atmosphere focused trailers alone. Why not use that to your advantage.

It doesn’t look like the worst thing in the world by any means and the camera angle will give us a good look at the cool monsters, but man I hoped SH2 getting a remake would make me more excited than this.

Mindless ramble over. Hoping for the best but expecting something lackluster and forgettable. especially if they mess with the story in anyway.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think it's safe to say the original reveal trailer was bullshot.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That's a good thing.

There's still time for them to cancel this and give it to a competent studio.

Bluepoint should be doing this, not these talentless hacks.

Konami rubber stamped this:

_PLQ_m.gif

This isn't the first, second, third, or last time they'll shit on the Silent Hill franchise either.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

angrod14

I wonder why Bloober just didn't play safe and did what Capcom did with the first REmake: a 1:1 recreation of the game but with modern visuals.

Muffdraul

For the last two or three years I've been closing my eyes and spanking it to thoughts of "a Silent Hill 2 remake on par with RE2."

Well, this doesn't quite look like that.

Top Bottom