• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake | State of Play Trailer

the fact that it doesn't have a release date/window makes me think of two things:

1. It is an older trailer meant for an older sop
2. the quality is not there (internal delay)

bender

What time is it?
All it took was playing The Medium and I knew to approach SH2 as a game "I'll eventually get around to" lol.

If I had to guess, most Silent Hill purists weren't very excited for this. Modern Konami is largely a has-been and Blooper Team is a never-was. The only sad thing is that they could have taken the funding for these five or six Silent Hill projects and invested it into a proper SH2 remaster. Hell, they probably could have gotten Sony to foot the bill in exchange for a timed exclusivity deal. I don't really like the idea of a Silent Hill remake in the first place as a lot of the design decisions of the original while based on the limitations of the hardware they are on, are still intentional and modernizing them would take away from the original vision. Maybe if it could be done like REmake.

the fact that it doesn't have a release date/window makes me think of two things:

1. It is an older trailer meant for an older sop
2. the quality is not there (internal delay)

I thought Blooper Team said the development was completed. For release date, I'd just pencil in near Halloween.

Last edited:
I thought Blooper Team said the development was completed. For release date, I'd just pencil in near Halloween.
yep. this is why I think this could be an older trailer. especially for the " in development for PS5" at the end

but if sony has a saying in this project's quality I also could see being delayed to fix or improve some things.

FeralEcho

Looked worse than RE2 remake, which released how many years ago now…
It's a trend these days it seems,Suicide Squad also looks inferior to Arkham Knight in everyway except facial snimations,a game from 9 years ago,seems most talented people from the industry have either blasted off to other industries or moved to Japan.

I'll be honest while it's weird the trailer focuses on combat the game itself doesn't look that bad,it looks janky sure but isn't that the whole Silent Hill series anyway,the jank is part of its soul.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Original SH2 James: "Oh god... what the hell is that? Where the hell am I? What am I doing?"

Bloober SH2 James: BANG BANG! "Aha! Yes! Die you evil nurse bitches!"
9dac8192b4b475477730e2e00bbcabef.gif

My thought exactly!

Esppiral

The Game looks fantastic can't wait to play It, no release date yet IS a bummer though

Last edited:
Nice RE2 Remake combat clone, Bloober. Lmao.

Honestly I don't blame Bloober at all, since they don't have the tiniest fucking clue of what the fuck Silent Hill is even about in the first place, but Konami. Seriously, you fucking pricks?

The MC is a fucking clerk who's driven by his guilt of murdering his own wife by euthanising her, who's never been in the vicinity of a gun in his entire life, and he's popping domes here like an elite S.T.A.R.S. operative from Raccoon City.

I don't even wanna start with the copy/paste 3D camera, that's another debate entirely. But, what in the actual Samael fuck were you smoking, Konami, you obnoxious fucks?

FunkMiller

Honestly I don't blame Bloober at all, since they don't have the tiniest fucking clue of what the fuck Silent Hill is even about in the first place, but Konami. Seriously, you fucking pricks?

The MC is a fucking clerk who's driven by his guilt of murdering his own wife by euthanising her, who's never been in the vicinity of a gun in his entire life, and he's popping domes here like an elite S.T.A.R.S. operative from Raccoon City.

I don't even wanna start with the copy/paste 3D camera, that's another debate entirely. But, what in the actual Samael fuck were you smoking, Konami, you obnoxious fucks?

They literally have no idea how to craft a video game protagonist that isn't some wish fulfilment or power fantasy. James Sunderland is one of - if not the - weakest main character in gaming history. By fucking DESIGN. He's a nobody. And everyman. A boring little human being, who is made into a fascinating character by the story he is part of, and the town he stumbles into.

Looking forward to him bravely ending Mary's suffering with a roundhouse kick to the face, before he high fives Maria, and escapes Silent Hill on a skidoo.

Rickyiez

Wtf with the music in the second half of the trailer , immediately kill all the Silent Hill vibes . It should be more like Industrial/Trip-Hop Rock , not some Epic Rock like I'm playing hyped action DMC or Metal gear Rising or some shit . Very clearly Bloober has no idea about the thematic of a Silent Hill game

This is how Silent Hill should sounds like

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They tried to make a silent hill 2 ...resi 2 remake game....

They tried....

What a downer, can't believe I let myself get somewhat excited for this.

Looks like a fan made project by a team of like 5 people.

I wonder why it still has no release date yet. Is Konami perhaps not satisfied with its quality, if so with Blooper at the helm, they can wait long.

Shrap

Konami and Bloober
7b20adf8-42ac-4087-beab-5f33cd144f34_text.gif

You manaics. You blew up the corpse of SH2. What a pile of crap this is shaping up to be.

I hope it stays in development hell and Bloober calls it a day.

Hydroxy

Doesn't look that bad to me. The main concern is even if they do get the look and feel right, if the soul is missing that's a huge problem. There's something about silent hill that makes it silent hill and different from other survival horror games and its that soul, the emotions and feels it gets out from you. They have to nail the atmosphere of silent hill and voice acting. Blair Witch wasn't bad but it was mediocre. They have to do better than that otherwise its over.

Amazing
One Question dud we got a remake of the first one ?
Only a reimagining:
6165430-silent-hill-shattered-memories-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Blair Witch wasn't bad but it was mediocre. They have to do better than that otherwise its over.
I hate that film so much. The found camera footage fad it started sucked for the longest time. I can count the number of good films in that style on one hand. Even worse, there is now a phone camera footage fad going on. And I thought the computer cam fad was bad...

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Hydroxy

Only a reimagining:
6165430-silent-hill-shattered-memories-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

I hate that film so much. The found camera footage fad it started sucked for the longest time. I can count the number of good films in that style on one hand. Even worse, there is now a phone camera footage fad going on. And I thought the computer cam fad was bad...

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF
Man I loved this game so much. The complete helplessness of unable to fight back and running being only option when world turned to ice was great. And story was nice especially the ending. I played it on the PS2 and one of my favorite games ever. If they can reach even this quality with the new game it would be great.

Lupin25

Konami probably wants to wait on giving the release date/window until they’ve got all the reception for this trailer they’ve just shown.

Judging from what I’ve seen,

Doesn’t bode well…

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Looks like a cheaper version of current Resident Evil remakes, just like the upcoming Alone in the Dark game. I didn't expect anything more from Bloober, but I still think they should've given this project to a studio with more experience with the genre.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Looks like a cheaper version of current Resident Evil remakes, just like the upcoming Alone in the Dark game. I didn't expect anything more from Bloober, but I still think they should've given this project to a studio with more experience with the genre.

They should have given it to Japanese developers, frankly. I don't think westerners really know how to do that creepy, weird, off kilter thing that the Japanese do so effortlessly. See also Ju On, The Ring etc. etc.

tommib

I think it's safe to say the original reveal trailer was bullshot.
The graphic whores creating gifs of that trailer and screaming “finally, next-gen” while shitting on all other studios and saying that Bloober could do that just by using UE5 was one of the most traumatic GAF episodes I can remember.

This was always going to be the downgrade of the generation.

People are being too hard on it and only seeing negative in its gameplay. I for one think its going to be fine 🤷‍♂️. Alot of bias towards the developer. If this trailer was the same but with a random japanese dev attached, people wouldn’t care as much.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Looks alright to me. I don't think that it'll reach the original in any way but I honestly never expected it to. The team that made the old game was a unique constellation and you can't just replcate that, especially Western Devs.

I do think it'll be a good game though.

Skifi28

It looked "fine" to me, but then again I've never played the original nor do I hold Blooper in high regard. Looks better than everything else they've made so far, so that is a win in itself.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I bet Bloober will make an original Silent Hill game as well. Might as well strap in for the ride
That would be more exciting to me. The Medium was enjoyable and did some interesting split screen game moments and the story was interesting. I'd be more excited for The Medium 2. This project is mostly going down because its a remake. In terms of graphics and combat its a step up from their previous games. They are improving.

They announced 4 silent hills, all SH after Ps2 era have sucked apart from PT, anyone who expected any thing different must be out of their mind.

That looks worse than playing the original tbh.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I was so excited, my most anticipated game next to GTA6 so I feel quite let down now. The best horror game ever made deserved much more. Konami... instead of allocating enough money for this to be what it deserves they waste it on 5 other SH projects no one care about.

Fake

I wonder if the mister president gonna send a nuke to Silent Hill too.

Top Bottom