• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 Remake | State of Play Trailer

BlueLyria

Konami rubber stamped this:

_PLQ_m.gif

This isn't the first, second, third, or last time they'll shit on the Silent Hill franchise either.
Not even the first fuck up from the SH comeback, fucking that web series? Terrible

OrionNebula

Taking a break from Alan Wake 2 to go check this out, this looks rough, janky and pretty unpolished to me 😕

Still think Silent Hill deserved better. Way better

Aretak

Looks like shit, but it'll probably sell better than the original and that's all Konami care about.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Looks fantastic. I love the graphical stylings. Almost as if the original CG was playable. Jank is fine by me as all SH games are jank. As long as it keeps the atmosphere and sound design/music, which is the only thing I am not too sure on just yet. Need to see more.

MiguelItUp

I can't get over James' hair, in some shots it looks like it's glowing, lmao. It honestly felt like the more the trailer went on the worse it got.

This is just a filler trailer, probably because if they didn't release something after announcing the drop of short message, people would go mad if they didn't. Especially after having to address the game still being in development. I wouldn't take it to heart. And if true silent hill fans want the series to live in, better get behind the game whether you like it or not. I bet Konami would have no issue putting it to bed for good.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Opening door animation at ~0:27 looks like taken straight from PS2. I'm sure some indie devs could do it better.

Last edited:
This trailer didn't blow me away, but I hope the game is a good enough way to experience SH2 for the first time.

It's one of the GOATs that I've been holding off playing because of this remake coming out.

Montauk

This trailer didn't blow me away, but I hope the game is a good enough way to experience SH2 for the first time.

It's one of the GOATs that I've been holding off playing because of this remake coming out.

It’s weird when people seem to think that by playing a remake they are actually playing the original.

You want to experience Silent Hill 2? Play it. This isn’t it, and will never be it. You won’t be playing the ‘GOAT’ by definition.

You won’t be playing what you’ve seen gamers rave about for 22 years. They played something else. You want that? Play that.

Last edited:

Fake

Do they even know what Silent Hill is about? That trailer is so off... what a horrible way to go. Killed any hype I had.

You made the ultimate question.

I guess the 'for modern audience' phrase is starting to make a little sense. If what made the original SH2 so good are the things they are tunning down/removing we gonna raise some concerns about this remake.

Lets hope I get wrong in this take.

ungalo

I feel people are going too hard on it.

Must be because i was never interested in the remake, but i think it's more than decent (i'm still not interested but not because i think it looks like shit). Especially for a Bloober game ordered by Konami. It could have been far worse.

It’s weird when people seem to think that by playing a remake they are actually playing the original.

You want to experience Silent Hill 2? Play it. This isn’t it, and will never be it.
I want to experience as close of an approximation of how it would have felt to play SH2 as the first time when it came out.

I can't undo decades of exposure to video games that have come since 2001, and I can't travel back in time, so I look to a remake as a way to control for the passage of time.

Montauk

I want to experience as close of an approximation of how it would have felt to play SH2 as the first time when it came out.

I can't undo decades of exposure to video games that have come since 2001, and I can't travel back in time, so I look to a remake as a way to control for the passage of time.

You’re searching for something you’ll never find.

And yet the actual game that was the actual basis for the reason for you to want to play this….exists. You can play it.

So you don’t need to go on a delusional journey to find something impossible.

You will never, ever understand what the people who praise SH2 were talking about. Supposedly you’re really interested but you also refuse to play the game.

I wish I could make it make sense, but that’s the remake culture for you.

Just look at your own writing - ‘good enough to experience SH2 for the first time’.

This isn’t Silent Hill 2. That’s something you refuse to touch. You won’t be experiencing it for the first time; you’ll never experience it.

You don’t *want* to experience it. You want to experience some *idea* of Silent Hill 2.

Last edited:

Montauk

Might get close, though

I’m sure you’ll convince yourself you got close, but you’ll never know. People who actually played the game you profess to wanting to play will actually have a standing from which to judge that.

It’s a shame you have a deadly allergy to older games.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
That's an odd trailer for SH2. They're marketing it like it's an action horror game when all the best parts are arguably the quieter, unsettling moments.
Other than that, it looks fairly decent. Some parts look fantastic, while some parts look rather lacking.

FunkMiller

I don't think we will ever get a big budget AAA Silent Hill game. Whats sad is we could have (Silent Hills)

Silent Hills would have been weird as shit, and not sold very well. But it would have felt and played like Silent Hill, I'm pretty convinced of that.

This will look and play like RE4 remake and will sell... okay.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
At this point just give me "proper" Silent Hill 2 PS2 remaster...it doesn't have to be fancy.

Last edited:
Trying to recreate Silent Hill 2 is like trying to recreate a classic piece of art such as the Mona Lisa. You can't do it justice no matter how hard you try, it'll always be off, always be missing something. The spirit of the original work is brought into existence not only by the people who crafted it, but also when they did so. You could take the exact same team who made Silent Hill 2, and have them try to recreate it 20 years later, and it wouldn't capture the same spirit or be worthwhile. What chance does a team of clearly unskilled westerners have given the circumstances? None, and it shows.

Last edited:

Doom85

At this point just give me Silent Hill 2 PS2 remaster...it doesn't have to be fancy.

They can’t. Konami, in yet another showcase of their incompetence throughout the years, did not properly preserve the source code for the original SH games. This is part of the reason the HD Collection is a piece of shit (partly, Tom Huelett and his arrogant ”I know what SH needs more than all the other fans” attitude definitely fucked things up too, including changing all the voice actors, and this was not a source code issue, because people have actually enhanced the audio of the HD versions of either 2 or 3, I forget which, and you can hear the original VAs’ audio just very muted!”

If you want to play the original version of Silent Hill 2 (and/or 3), either have a PS2 and a copy of the game or look into emulation options. Because lord knows Konami won’t help with that.

Regardless, I’m fine with what I’ve seen of the remake so far.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Does anyone else think this looks like utter shit?

Like what the fuck. Looks like some old Frogwares joint. The whole time I’m looking at it like “Why isn’t this RE4R caliber?”

RavageX

exactly GIF

I’m not saying they absolutely nailed it (I think the lighting should be a bit darker), but so far it looks pretty good.
Im not sure what people are complaining about either....this looks like Silent Hill to me. Gamers really want to shit on EVERYTHING these days, and its usually the wrong things. Complain about MTX, GAAS and games being overpriced and unfinished upon release please.

Last edited:
Looks like Bloober. So pretty much Shit. All the Silent Hill stuff Konami greenlit is horrible. They don't give a shit about the franchise.

bender

What time is it?
They can’t. Konami, in yet another showcase of their incompetence throughout the years, did not properly preserve the source code for the original SH games. This is part of the reason the HD Collection is a piece of shit (partly, Tom Huelett and his arrogant ”I know what SH needs more than all the other fans” attitude definitely fucked things up too, including changing all the voice actors, and this was not a source code issue, because people have actually enhanced the audio of the HD versions of either 2 or 3, I forget which, and you can hear the original VAs’ audio just very muted!”

If you want to play the original version of Silent Hill 2 (and/or 3), either have a PS2 and a copy of the game or look into emulation options. Because lord knows Konami won’t help with that.

Regardless, I’m fine with what I’ve seen of the remake so far.

The can't part isn't entirely true. Bluepoint has mentioned that they didn't rely on source code in the past as it often didn't align with what was released on disc so they preferred reverse engineering a retail copy instead. If only Konami had a working relationship with Bluepoint prior the Silent Hill HD Coll....oh wait.

Fuck Tomm Hulett, Troy Baker and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn forever.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I thought it looked fine and the combat looks fun.

I don't know why anyone was hyped for this game thinking it would match the OG or come close. No offense intended but these are the same people that act like vampires being faced with a crucifix when it comes to SH games being developed by a Western studio.

We got fucking Konami and Bloober Team handling this game, it's been in your face the whole time. Bloober Team hasn't even made a game with real combat. The fact that it looks as good as it does is impressive to me.

All I'm getting at is that the SH purists were fools for getting on the hype train. I mean come on! 😅 This is so dumb. Just wait for the game to release. Acting shocked at what you saw in the trailer, you should have never let your expectations get so high in the first place.

bender

What time is it?

I don't know why anyone was hyped for this game thinking it would match the OG or come close. No offense intended but these are the same people that act like vampires being faced with a crucifix when it comes to SH games being developed by a Western studio.

We got fucking Konami and Bloober Team handling this game, it's been in your face the whole time. Bloober Team hasn't even made a game with real combat. The fact that it looks as good as it does is impressive to me.

All I'm getting at is that the SH purists were fools for getting on the hype train. I mean come on! 😅 This is so dumb. Just wait for the game to release. Acting shocked at what you saw in the trailer, you should have never let your expectations get so high in the first place.

giphy.gif

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

SH Purists would know that combat has never been good in any Silent Hill game and that they are all jank.

The big issue with this trailer is how much if focuses on the aspect that matters the least to a Silent Hill experience: the combat. Half the time in SH, you run past enemies at every chance you get.

Top Bottom