• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Community Thread: "There was a title here...It's gone now"

I really enjoyed the first one, which a lot of people didn't, so the fact that Revelation was almost completely forgettable to me is quite a shame.

I never watched Revelation because I heard that
Vincent falls in love with Heather.
That entire concept is bullshit and the script should've been burned the second that it was read for that reason alone.

That entire concept is bullshit and the script should've been burned the second that it was read for that reason alone.

Yeah, Vincent was ruined and Douglas was barely used.
The only redeeming quality of Revelation was the Spider-Marionette designed creature.

Guri

Yeah, Vincent was ruined and Douglas was barely used.
The only redeeming quality of Revelation was the Spider-Marionette designed creature.

I'll just keep this in a spoiler tag if someone really wants to be surprised, but...
imagining Heather and Jon Snow texting/tweeting at each other/using Facebook was really bizarre.

Slappers Only

Also of note, this book:

9780472051625.jpg

It's a pretty good read if you're into Silent Hill, which I'm guessing you all are.
I've got a pretty strong stomach for academic wankery, but man, go back to your classroom, Mr. Perron.

Actually I'm pretty sure SH3 was Claudia's nightmare.

Mostly Claudia's, with some stuff affected by Alessa (and the God I guess?)

I'll just keep this in a spoiler tag if someone really wants to be surprised, but...
imagining Heather and Jon Snow texting/tweeting at each other/using Facebook was really bizarre.

Fuck Facebook! ...because that's stuff you'll know about when you've lived in a horrific pocket dimension all your life. Some weird-ass contrivances in that movie.

Some of my favorite SH video stuff-

Silent Hill Spoof
My favorite SH funny to this day. Always makes me laugh.

Silent Hill 2: Night at the Hill
Dumb dumb dumb, but fun.

Silent Hill: No Escape
(not necessarily great, but just thoroughly impressed me back in the day that someone was that dedicated)

Hey I wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was watching the No Escape video a bit and while yeah it's not amazing, it does have that SH vibe to it in terms of sound and visuals. Which gave a lot of inspiration and made me realize how long it's been since I played a SH game.

It also led me to find a few people who compose Silent Hill inspired soundtracks... which I may actually contact about using for my game since I take heave inspiration from Silent Hill in terms of look and feel. I had almost forgotten how much I loved the sound design in their games so I'm definitely going to see about getting some of these folks to contribute with me!

Anyways thanks for bringing this up. Was super useful and awesome!

MazeHaze

Banned

Dude. That's a VERY small problem compared to the rest of the movie. At the end...
Claudia transforms into the Missionary creature and has a big DBZ kung-fu showdown with Pyramid Head, who is protecting Heather

Dude. That's a VERY small problem compared to the rest of the movie. At the end...
Claudia transforms into the Missionary creature and has a big DBZ kung-fu showdown with Pyramid Head, who is protecting Heather

My eyes and mouth were agape. I mean, sure, the movie sucked before, but...really? Really?? What the fuck were did they think they were going with that? Who does this appeal to?

But Malcolm McDowell is in it and hams it up pretty well! Was surprised when he showed up.

I think this needs to be required watching for any Silent Hill fan, to show how everything can go wrong at once. Can't wait for part 3 where
Sean Bean
machine guns an entire army of Pyramid Heads. Spoiler because
Sean Bean actually survives a movie for once as a character destined to die, holy shit.

Well, you win this round. That's definitely worse. I just take it that the people that wrote and directed Revelation had never heard of the games before. It's the only explanation for this idiocy.

So is anyone a fan of Twin-perfect and their great analysis of the Silent Hill series?
Nope!

I remember people saying these were the "BEST" video game to movie adaptations out there and I'd ask why they thought so and their reason? "Man Pyramid head is in it! That makes it the best!" And I would tell them that no, it actually makes it the worse because of it.
Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are the only video game movies I feel are even remotely successful. The SH movie is definitely not a great thing in the writing department, but I feel they were quite successful at translating the imagery and some of the atmosphere of the games into a film. Is it perfect? Not at all, but it was still a pretty good effort. Mortal Kombat is the best still, though.

Blast from the past.

I remember downloading the individual quicktime episodes, before youtube.
You and me both! The website is apparently still up and running.
http://noescape.rateofinjury.com/
Brings back good memories, haha

Hey I wanted to say thanks for posting this. I was watching the No Escape video a bit and while yeah it's not amazing, it does have that SH vibe to it in terms of sound and visuals. Which gave a lot of inspiration and made me realize how long it's been since I played a SH game.

It also led me to find a few people who compose Silent Hill inspired soundtracks... which I may actually contact about using for my game since I take heave inspiration from Silent Hill in terms of look and feel. I had almost forgotten how much I loved the sound design in their games so I'm definitely going to see about getting some of these folks to contribute with me!

Anyways thanks for bringing this up. Was super useful and awesome!
You're very welcome!

Speaking of the movie. I was kinda pissed when
Heather was talking to the old woman, and Boogeyman just nonchalantly walks up to her and kills her. It seemed like it was Heathers fault since she wouldn't get inside the darn church
. Was this even in the game, or was this just a "here's Boogeyman" fanservice thing?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the female cop. There were many endings I forgot most of them, but I'll probably youtube that to refresh my memory.

My favorite ending in Downpour was the
"Surprise"
ending. Seeing
James Sunderland
, and
Heather in upgraded models was great
. Also,
Boogeyman cutting the whole table in half
. Probably one of my favorite endings in the series, right next to the famous SH2 one.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Fuck. I seriously blocked this movie out. Bad flashbacks, you guys.

Bring Christophe back for a movie based on SH2.

The great thing is they could totally do this. Like, now. There's no reason why not. All the hurt and betrayed fans would show up opening night if this was the announcement.

EGM1966

Silent Hill. I like it, especially the old better ones.

2 and 4 were my favorites due to their total focus on characters without much in the way of an underlying narrative/plot. 1 & 3 are fun and have that tone that's so unique but their simpler plot driven approach just feels weaker for me.

I know 4 had issues - not least key elements of the title were actually for a new IP before being retro-fitted to Silent Hill - but after SH2 being all about your protagonist and his history/actions I found it an interesting counterpoint as its all about the antagonist and his motivations and your protagonist is really just a fairly uninteresting average Joe. The angle of playing as someone who would normally be a victim and via that mechanism learning all about the antagonist was pretty cool approach.

But SH2 is the best for me, even if it arguably hurt the IP longer term as its key motifs and approach were taken as the checking list of points for making an SH game.

I'd love to get a new SH game that stayed true to the tone of the series but had the creativity and confidence to develop a new story/character and a completely new menagerie of SH inhabitants to populate the familiar streets. Pretty sure there's a fair number of SH buildings/areas unexplored or visited they could use.

Cudder

There was a point in the first film, when I was watching it in theaters, that was so fear inducing and brilliant to me, that it could have come from the minds of Team Silent themselves.

1222.jpg

The whole moment with the Janitor.

While the whole scene is great, the part at the end with Janitor on the floor and writhing and screaming in pain really sunk in and terrified me when I watched it.

Not only that, but the whole design of him was incredible. The youtube comment sums it up perfectly. Barbed wire over his eyes, so he can never look lustfully at another child again. The tongue shows how sick and disgusting he is. And now, the ultimate punishment, the barbed wire that ties his feet to his head forces him to crawl against his genitals at all times, and makes any sort of sexual action impossible.

That's some shit that could've originated out of Silent Hill's glory days from the original team. And I love how Janitor is not necessarily immediately threatening (like most monsters are supposed to be), but that he's a tortured soul stuck in Silent Hill as well. Other monsters like the mannequin in SH2 are similar, in that they're pretty pathetic "monsters" that aren't super dangerous, but are serving a purpose.

Laranja

There was a point in the first film, when I was watching it in theaters, that was so fear inducing and brilliant to me, that it could have come from the minds of Team Silent themselves.

While the whole scene is great, the part at the end with Janitor on the floor and writhing and screaming in pain really sunk in and terrified me when I watched it.

Not only that, but the whole design of him was incredible. The youtube comment sums it up perfectly. Barbed wire over his eyes, so he can never look lustfully at another child again. The tongue shows how sick and disgusting he is. And now, the ultimate punishment, the barbed wire that ties his feet to his head forces him to crawl against his genitals at all times, and makes any sort of sexual action impossible.

That's some shit that could've originated out of Silent Hill's glory days from the original team. And I love how Janitor is not necessarily immediately threatening (like most monsters are supposed to be), but that he's a tortured soul stuck in Silent Hill as well. Other monsters like the mannequin in SH2 are similar, in that they're pretty pathetic "monsters" that aren't super dangerous, but are serving a purpose.

I personally didn't care for it very much.

I think the backstory and the way it ties into the monster's design is pretty awesome, but it felt completely pointless in regards to the movie narrative.

Plus, I don't like the actual design all that much. It's just a human wrapped in barbed wire. Ito's designs were a lot more uncomfortable and strange, because they hinted at human characteristics, but were highly distorted and moved very eerily.

That's not to say that it isn't a good monster, but I don't really think it compares favourably to the monster design in the first games.

Cudder

I personally didn't care for it very much.

I think the backstory and the way it ties into the monster's design is pretty awesome, but it felt completely pointless in regards to the movie narrative.

Plus, I don't like the actual design all that much. It's just a human wrapped in barbed wire. Ito's designs were a lot more uncomfortable and strange, because they hinted at human characteristics, but were highly distorted and moved very eerily.

That's not to say that it isn't a good monster, but I don't really think it compares favourably to the monster design in the first games.

To each their own. I hold the design up there with the best monsters in the series.

Also, Colin (the janitor) was the one who raped Alessa and caused her to be severely traumatized, fueling her hate for everyone when she is burned alive by the cult.

I just discovered that Amazon is taking preorders for the second wave of Gecco's Silent Hill statues including: Heather and both Pink and Blue Robbie the Rabbits. Price is $129.99 for Robbie and $139.99 for Heather, and they appear to have a release date set for the end of September.

Still currently playing SH4. I'm now on the
Building World 2
level. I'm stuck on the part of the level, where I have to figure out the code to get through a bar. It says I have to find the phone number, which was easy last time since
I just had to look out my apartment's window
. This time, it seems that I have to find it a different way. Welp, when in doubt in a Silent Hill game. I maybe haven't explored enough.

Still currently playing SH4. I'm now on the
Building World 2
level. I'm stuck on the part of the level, where I have to figure out the code to get through a bar. It says I have to find the phone number, which was easy last time since
I just had to look out my apartment's window
. This time, it seems that I have to find it a different way. Welp, when in doubt in a Silent Hill game. I maybe haven't explored enough.

Call it again. They changed it because of weird noises. I'm sure the new one is fine.

The next game should be called Silent Kill, a first person shooter where you play as a sniper stationed atop some bell tower under orders from Valtiel, picking away people getting too close to Silent Hill who have never sinned before.

Paper Silent Hill 3 is great. I love all the expressions they have. The way Heather carelessly tosses away the seal at the end is one of my favorite moments.

legacyzero

Banned
So is anyone a fan of Twin-perfect and their great analysis of the Silent Hill series?
Its a great analysis. The problem with the series (IMO), is with the delivery. Their attitudes come across as condescending, and immature. And when they were called out about it, those doing so were most often met with the same condescending attitude.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I know Fungo personally, and since his split with Twin-Perfect, he has been back to normal activity with creating neat videos, reviews, and Let's Plays. All with a lot better of an attitude so far as I can see. I have even been featured on some of his live casts, which was fun. He picks on me because I give GAF a lot of shout outs lol.

But yeah, you either like TRSHE, or you dont. I like it because it has some great content, and you learn a lot about Silent Hill. This is all provided you can stomach their behavior, and the one-sided writing.

lights

It's been ages since I watched the film but it's really interesting to read that about his design. I didn't know any of that or even link that monster to the janitor at the time but it makes sense now. I agree with the concept being great.

And yeah that scene was creepy as hell when I first saw it. Even if I'm a little older now and less bothered by horror films, watching that clip on Youtube is still quite disturbing.

Despera

Banned
Played the first one without hearing anything about it. Quickly became one of my favourite games on the PS1. Then SH2 came out and instantly became one of my favourite games of all time.

SH3 had some neat special effects that were amazing at the time. It was awesome.

SH4 had a unique setting which for me made the game great. It isn't as excellent as the first 3 entries but still a great SH. Definitely underrated and underappreciated by the community.

I really liked Shattered Memories' story and the ending was nicely done, but the gameplay could've been much better. It probably was the last good SH title.

All in all I've played to completion 1, 2, 3, 4, Origins, Homecoming and Shattered Memories. Haven't unlocked all the endings but definitely saw most of 'em.

As for Downpour, I stopped playing halfway through. It just felt mediocre at that point and I just couldn't handle the tedium. I'll probably give it another chance in the future, but who knows when that'll happen.

Silent Hill as a concept and as a setting is the most unique in the survival horror genre. Hopefully Konami will attempt to genuinely revive the series one day, or maybe the original creators would kickstart a new project as a spiritual successor.

Lime

Funny thing, I went to an indie video game festival/exhibition/conference in Berlin (A-Maze) a couple of weeks back, and Auriea Harvey from Tale of Tales mentioned during her talk that Silent Hill 2 was one of the (if not *the*) game that inspired her to make artistic/atmospheric video games.

I can definitely relate to that.

I'm really hoping they don't say they're "going back to Silent Hill 2" like they do EVERY FUCKING TIME. Just make a new game.

And no, Pyramid Head should NOT be in this game.

Mature

I'm really hoping they don't say they're "going back to Silent Hill 2" like they do EVERY FUCKING TIME. Just make a new game.

And no, Pyramid Head should NOT be in this game.
If Kojima's actually in the directors chair for this one, I wouldn't think he would retread old ground— that's not really his MO.

Though looking over at my TV, the description for the game is somewhat familiar...:
"My voice, can you hear it?
This sign, can you read it?
I'll wait forever if you'll just come to me."

Her words - to where do they lead?

If Kojima's actually in the directors chair for this one, I wouldn't think he would retread old ground— that's not really his MO.

Though looking over at my TV, the description for the game is somewhat familiar...:
"My voice, can you hear it?
This sign, can you read it?
I'll wait forever if you'll just come to me."

Her words - to where do they lead?

Yeah, I really hope they aren't afraid to break the "suppressed memories of the main character" trope. But I fear it's inevitable.

Honestly, if you look at the series, they go back to the well with SH1 more than SH2, but I understand what you mean.
Perhaps, but they love to keep mentioning SH2 because they know it's a fan favorite, and oftentimes it seems like they think it's just "throw Pyramid Head in there, they love that."

Just got home and downloading now. This has the potential to bring the series back to where it should be. Just dont give it a lame subtitle, make it current gen only, and we'll be in business (PS4,XB1,PC).

I think this is PS4 only considering its shown at this demo which is exclusive and it seems like this is reboot of PS1 Silent hill where the series started first on Playstation.

Yes, it's very creepy and brilliantly done. Try it, but unless you have nerves of steel and laugh through even the scariest horror movies, play it with lights on and someone else in the room with you.

Really? It didn't seem very scary at all to me. It was "creepy" but it didn't really scare.

1222.jpg

The first film is decent yes, one of the best videogame movies imho, but it could've been much better. The story is there, almost. A few tweaks here and there would've perfected it but it was good.
The problem was the fucking CGI. They relied so much on it and it was useless most of the time, practical effects are always better. I've seen it recently and it aged terribly. The first scene in which the protagonist encounters the monsters is simply terrible, it looks like a PS2 cutscene. Even the scene you talk about, probably one of the best in the movie, was pretty great back in the day, but 10-ish years later, it's almost unwatchable. The effects are dated, which make the scene look dated. It's like watching an old Vincent Price movie, you can appreciate the importance the movie has for cinema and can understand why the scene was scary back then, but it's not anymore. The difference is that Price's movies are 60 years old, Silent Hill is barely 10.

Mr_Zombie

Aβydoς;125143334 said:
The first film is decent yes, one of the best videogame movies imho, but it could've been much better. The story is there, almost. A few tweaks here and there would've perfected it but it was good.
The problem was the fucking CGI. They relied so much on it and it was useless most of the time, practical effects are always better. I've seen it recently and it aged terribly. The first scene in which the protagonist encounters the monsters is simply terrible, it looks like a PS2 cutscene. Even the scene you talk about, probably one of the best in the movie, was pretty great back in the day, but 10-ish years later, it's almost unwatchable. The effects are dated, which make the scene look dated. It's like watching an old Vincent Price movie, you can appreciate the importance the movie has for cinema and can understand why the scene was scary back then, but it's not anymore. The difference is that Price's movies are 60 years old, Silent Hill is barely 10.

But they did use a lot of practical effects. For example, all the monsters you see on screen were humans in suits.
They used CGI where they had to. It's hard to do a real-time world shifting (with paint peeling off from everything) by using practical effects, though.

But they did use a lot of practical effects. All the monsters you see on screen were humans in suits. It's hard to do a real-time world shifting (with paint peeling off from everything) by using practical effects, though.

Maybe the human-like monsters, but all the rest is CGI. Like the babies she encounters at the beginning of the movie, OK they were like a 100 so it was impossible to do all with practical, just make them less I suppose?
The scene he's talking about in the bathroom as some heavy CGI covering everything also.

Mr_Zombie

Aβydoς;125147297 said:
Maybe the human-like monsters, but all the rest is CGI. Like the babies she encounters at the beginning of the movie, OK they were like a 100 so it was impossible to do all with practical, just make them less I suppose?

Nope, the babies were also played by people in costumes (and then probably digitally multiplied on screen). Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQnj0XD9k_U&t=2m36s. There's a quick shot of actor in grey children costume doing dance-like moves.

EDIT: @4:40 there's a part about designing and making of grey children costume.

Overall the "making of" document is really interesting. I love how Rose's clothes gradually change colors from blueish to reddish throughout the movie and they did that by simply having few dozens of her clothes in different color variations.

Of all my problems with the Silent Hill movie, I don't think the CG bothered me too much.

I only had two issues with the movie: script (I don't mind the movie being different than the game, but by the end of the movie though; the script just sucked :/) and world building. The monsters didn't really look as if they reside the city: each monster (besides Pyramidhead) appear in only one scene and then is never seen again. I know that there was a scene which was cut where Patient attacks Anna on the street. A single grey children should appeared (even in the background, or dead) in the school to make it clear that those were pupils before. And Lisa should wear the same costume (not damaged, of course) as the monster nurses. Instead she wears a completely different one (Alchemilla vs Brookhaven hospital) and thus it's less obvious that those nurses were human before.

Tizoc

Just learned that SH2 takes place in 1993, when do SH1, 3 and 4 take place assuming they were given set dates by Konami?

Top Bottom