• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill Community Thread: "There was a title here...It's gone now"

BkMogul

Everything that's happened the last couple of days really makes me want to play through SH1 again...and hope for a true remaster a la Resident Evil. This game is so deserving of it.

Mature

I've actually been planing on replaying the series recently— this announcement has only agitated that desire. Too bad my PS3 broke, so playing SH2 and SH4 might be difficult.

Updated the OP with the Silent Hills news. If anything looks wrong with my description of it, please let me know so I can improve/change it (or if I should just give it it's own space in the OP).

I also added soundtracks to the OP in the media section, for a lot of the Silent Hill games. You can listen, or download the tracks as you please. Thanks to the GAF member that sent me them.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
SH fans, is $50 shipped a good price for a used PC copy of SH2? Last year I lost an auction for one that went for $30 so I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or not.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Take it before every copy disappears, especially after recent news!

Yeah, I went ahead and got it. Including shipping it was almost $60 but looking at these three together makes me a happy camper. :D

ruBo9wm.jpg

I'm currently replaying 3 and will finish 4 afterwards (I never finished back in the day). Then I shall play 2 for the first time and maybe move on to Origins if I'm not too burnt out.

Oh my god I am jealous

I only played Silent Hill 2 on 2015's New Year. I wouldn't have appreciated it when I was a child. Such an amazing experience.

However I didn't enjoy SH3 and it became a chore to finish in all honesty. SH2 story relies on nothing outside of itself for understanding and benefits from it. Best music in the series by my standard too.

Sesha

The title should be changed to "There was a franchise here… it's gone now".

Little too on the nose, maybe?

On-topic, I should probably finish SH1 and 3 someday. Wish they'd show up on Steam, but, Konami...

SH2 is my favorite of the soundtracks. Pure bliss from start to finish.

The title should be changed to "There was a franchise here… it's gone now".

Little too on the nose, maybe?

On-topic, I should probably finish SH1 and 3 someday. Wish they'd show up on Steam, but, Konami...
You can buy the disc version[SH3] for about $20 new. I got the EU version for a friend for that price.

They'd probably cancel it and send us on "vacation."

Or turn us into pachinko machines.

We also didn't spend over $40 million on a highly polished, unfinished game

Has anybody played Forgotten Memories? I'm waiting for it's release on more platforms but from the videos released I can't help but get SH2 vibes from it. Looks fantastic with a large emphasis on the atmosphere.

dan2026

It is sad that we will likely never get another Silent Hill console game again.

But then again I don't believe there has been a truly great Silent Hill game since 3.

Sesha

SH2 is my favorite of the soundtracks. Pure bliss from start to finish.

You can buy the disc version[SH3] for about $20 new. I got the EU version for a friend for that price.

Oh, I already own it. I played less than an hour of it and kind of just stopped. Wasn't in the mood at the time. I don't own SH1, though.

Garlador

I don't own SH1, though.

Remedy that.
tumblr_n13m2iCEjd1t1hgsqo1_500.gif

Silent Hill 2 may be the "better" game, but Silent Hill 1 is my personal favorite. It's got a level of intensity, nightmare fuel, and hellish environments that I feel even tops SH2.

... The final encounter with Lisa made me put the controller down for a few minutes. I needed time to breathe again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really wish they'd release them all on PSN. I want the PSP or even Ps2 version of Shattered Memories digitally. I'm not really begging, it's just more convenient that way.

I recently got The Terror Engine on Kindle, which is a nice in depth look by a fan. Also had a chance to check out a few comics and a tie in to Downpour. Great for fans, but not overly amazing.

I really wish they'd release them all on PSN. I want the PSP or even Ps2 version of Shattered Memories digitally. I'm not really begging, it's just more convenient that way.

I recently got The Terror Engine on Kindle, which is a nice in depth look by a fan. Also had a chance to check out a few comics and a tie in to Downpour. Great for fans, but not overly amazing.

Yeah I miss these games. Even the broken HD collection is out of print, right? I want to replay these games (especially 2+3) over and over again but I can't. Please release them on PSN.

Garlador

Yeah I miss these games. Even the broken HD collection is out of print, right? I want to replay these games (especially 2+3) over and over again but I can't. Please release them on PSN.

That HD Collection was SUCH a joke.

For a "collection", just two games? And they didn't even do those right?

My PS2 was such a Silent Hill machine: Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Origins, and Shattered Memories.

A complete Silent Hill Collection, of every game, would be... I... I couldn't handle it. I'd lose all slivers of sanity I have left.

... And yet I have no faith that Konami could even port ONE beloved, classic game to modern hardware, let alone a whole series of them.

That HD Collection was SUCH a joke.

For a "collection", just two games? And they didn't even do those right?

My PS2 was such a Silent Hill machine: Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Origins, and Shattered Memories.

A completely Silent Hill Collection, of every game, would be... I... I couldn't handle it. I'd lose all slivers of sanity I have left.

... And yet I have no faith that Konami could even port ONE beloved, classic game to modern hardware, let alone a whole series of them.

I'm losing hope in Konami too, especially after the debacle with Kojima.
We will never see any good games from their PS2 ages on PSN.
Since Kojima left, Silent Hill is buried for good. All good franchises they had are dead.

JPon87

Neo Member
It's a real shame that you can't get these titles on modern systems... SH2 is my personal favorite, but I love SH1 in a different way. Shattered Memories is really special to me as well! Shattered Memories is also the only one I can easily replay as I can just pop it into my WiiU and do a quick run through!

I'm surprised Konami hasn't tried to get a quick cash grab by putting up a Silent Hill Collection on Steam/PS4. Even do a deal where they'll have the individual games on sale, but if you bought the bundle collection at a premium price they'll include P.T. in there. I feel like people would buy that based on nostalgia as well as the P.T. hype! I know I would! Too bad that will surely never come to pass...

Been playing Downpour for my first time. Really loving the game. The atmosphere is fucking insane (the rain motif is pretty awesome).

Are the other Silent Hill games like it?

... Tastes, and and all that, but...

... I find them even better. Silent Hill 1 - 4 simply can't be beat in terms of atmosphere.

Ah that looks creepy as fuck. I heard 2's the best, but I couldn't play it (someone told me to stay away from the HD collection) so instead I bought Downpour (planning to get 2 for my emulator once I get the chance). Is Downpour still good compared to the other games?

Ah that looks creepy as fuck. I heard 2's the best, but I couldn't play it (someone told me to stay away from the HD collection) so instead I bought Downpour (planning to get 2 for my emulator once I get the chance). Is Downpour still good compared to the other games?

No, it's good compared to Silent Hill 5.

But Silent Hill 1-4 are amazing, especially 1,2+3.

Cudder

The original trilogy of games are considered the top games in the franchise. 4 to a lesser extent, but even that is better than what came afterwards. You're in for a treat whenever you decide to play the other ones.

Cudder

5 is Homecoming right? I was planning to get that, but Downpour looked alot more interesting. Homecoming isnt very good?

If I were you I'd get into the original games as soon as possible before playing anything else. There are things in Homecoming that might sour your playthroughs of the other games, and may make some things nonsensical as you backtrack to the older games.

5 is Homecoming right? I was planning to get that, but Downpour looked alot more interesting. Homecoming isnt very good?

Homecoming's story is awful, but (in my very unpopular opinion) has the best melee combat of any of the games.

Yes, yes, Silent Hill isn't about combat, but if you're going to give me melee weapons (which, every Silent Hill game has) I'd much rather have it play like Homecoming with active dodging and countering.

That being said, 1-4 are the holy grail.

.JayZii

Banned
Homecoming's story is awful, but (in my very unpopular opinion) has the best melee combat of any of the games.

Yes, yes, Silent Hill isn't about combat, but if you're going to give me melee weapons (which, every Silent Hill game has) I'd much rather have it play like Homecoming with active dodging and countering.

That being said, 1-4 are the holy grail.
Putting good (adequate?) combat into a horror game changes the tone dramatically for me, though. It's like the first Evil Dead compared to Army of Darkness. Army of Darkness is fun, but it certainly isn't going to be scary.

If the developer is setting out to make a game that unsettles or scares the player, making the player character a powerful, skilled combatant just seems like a bad idea. Not to mention the ending of Homecoming, which undercuts the justification for having more aggressive, effective combat. Not saying that it couldn't be done well, I just can't think of any examples.

I would put 1 and 2 at Holy Grail status. 3 and 4 have a lot of issues, but i love them anyway.

Putting good (adequate?) combat into a horror game changes the tone dramatically for me, though. It's like the first Evil Dead compared to Army of Darkness. Army of Darkness is fun, but it certainly isn't going to be scary.

If the developer is setting out to make a game that unsettles or scares the player, making the player character a powerful, skilled combatant just seems like a bad idea. Not to mention the ending of Homecoming, which undercuts the justification for having more aggressive, effective combat. Not saying that it couldn't be done well, I just can't think of any examples.

I would put 1 and 2 at Holy Grail status. 3 and 4 have a lot of issues, but i love them anyway.

Firearms in every Silent Hill game trivialize any combat situation even more than Homecoming's adequate melee combat.

If I had my wish, I'd get a Silent Hill with zero projectile weapons and only melee.

Garlador

Firearms in every Silent Hill game trivialize any combat situation even more than Homecoming's adequate melee combat.

If I had my wish, I'd get a Silent Hill with zero projectile weapons and only melee.

I disagree...

Turning Silent Hill into a dumb shooter with waves of enemies is absolutely stupid (looking at you, late-game Homecoming...)

... But guns in a more grounded setting can be terrifying. Either as a hero blasting away at an enemy unfazed by conventional gunfire with only a few scant bullets left, or against another human being with a lethal weapon in their hands threatening you with it.

I disagree...
Turning Silent Hill into a dumb shooter with waves of enemies is absolutely stupid (looking at you, late-game Homecoming...)

... But guns in a more grounded setting can be terrifying. Either as a hero blasting away at an enemy unfazed by conventional gunfire with only a few scant bullets left, or against another human being with a lethal weapon in their hands threatening you with it.

Pretty much every (read: almost every) encounter using guns including bosses in every Silent Hill boils down to:

1. Run safe distance
2. Shoot
3. Repeat

Including Eddie, except Eddie will shoot back.

Just because bosses seem "unfazed" by gunfire, doesn't mean they aren't being hurt.

As much as I loved the climactic battle against two pyramid heads in Silent Hill 2, the actual gameplay was:

1. Run to corner of room
2. Shoot once or twice with rifle
3. Repeat

Guns are boring. Give me melee combat any day, or just take the combat out (don't do this; I don't need another Amnesia).

Garlador

Pretty much every (read: almost every) encounter using guns including bosses in every Silent Hill boils down to:

1. Run safe distance
2. Shoot
3. Repeat

Including Eddie, except Eddie will shoot back.

Just because bosses seem "unfazed" by gunfire, doesn't mean they aren't being hurt.

As much as I loved the climactic battle against two pyramid heads in Silent Hill 2, the actual gameplay was:

1. Run to corner of room
2. Shoot once or twice with rifle
3. Repeat

Guns are boring. Give me melee combat any day, or just take the combat out (don't do this; I don't need another Amnesia).

Not sure if it'd help, but I always played on the harder difficulties, where ammo was both less plentiful and less effective.

For that Pyramid fight, for instance, I had to manage my spacing, could only fire off one or two shots, and then had the misfortune of trying to reload while they were creeping in on me.

SH1 I was constantly running out of ammo and Harry was a horrible shot. SH4 had plenty of enemies that guns did nothing to and could only slow them down.

And one of my favorite moments in SH2 was when you get to the hotel and need to go to the basement... and that means surrendering all your items and weapons. Having a good gun... and then being forced to give it up and be defenseless... that was REALLY effective. And that's before you see the water in the basement moving...

And one of my favorite moments in SH2 was when you get to the hotel and need to go to the basement... and that means surrendering all your items and weapons. Having a good gun... and then being forced to give it up and be defenseless... that was REALLY effective. And that's before you see the water in the basement moving...

I love this part.

But yeah, it would help a lot if the games truly cut down on ammo. Like, if you never actually had enough ammo to fully kill a boss, but only partially harm it or something.

As for what you mentioned in Silent Hill 4, I assume you mean the ghosts and Walter himself. They're not killable by any means (ghosts can be Sworded) so I'm not really counting them.

Sesha

Guns in Silent Hill are fine. Unlike what gun nuts and action movies like to portray, carrying a gun doesn't automatically turn someone into a competent badass. Aside from Homecoming, none of the characters had any form of combat or weapon training and I always felt the gameplay reflected that.

Guns in Silent Hill are fine. Unlike what gun nuts and action movies like to portray, carrying a gun doesn't automatically turn someone into a competent badass. Aside from Homecoming, none of the characters had any form of combat or weapon training and I always felt the gameplay reflected that.

We're not talking about whether or not guns are thematically appropriate or handled realistically by any given character. We're talking about guns trivializing gameplay.

Even though no characters had weapon training besides in Homecoming (kinda), every character can still kill anything with perfect ease (as I described above) because there's:

1. Too much ammo
2. Nothing stopping the player from doing the same tired strategy of firing once or twice then running a safe distance.

Garlador

We're not talking about whether or not guns are thematically appropriate or handled realistically by any given character. We're talking about guns trivializing gameplay.

Even though no characters had weapon training besides in Homecoming (kinda), every character can still kill anything with perfect ease (as I described above) because there's:

1. Too much ammo
2. Nothing stopping the player from doing the same tired strategy of firing once or twice then running a safe distance.

I had different experiences, I guess.

I never had enough ammo (unless I knew where to look and explored out of my way... which often resulted in encountering more enemies...), enemies took way too many shots to go down, and guns were still completely useless unless enemies got right up in my face since the aim of my characters was pretty pathetic outside of a shotgun. The majority of my fights were with melee weapons in all games as a result, smacking things around with lead pipes and 2x4s.

When I think of "running to a safe distance", my mind went "when?". My memories are filled with cramped, narrow hallways, difficult controls, poor navigation, and trying to fire in a dark hallway with two spastic nurses hobbling towards me and I only have 4 shots to work with...

Luq

subbed in a heart beat.

Now - can someone explain me, why in "The Room", protagonist couldn't just break the window? Would the room kill him there? Or am I just stupidly looking for logic where there's no place for it?

Top Bottom