• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley investors call for California to secede from the US after Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

I'd be very surprised if someone isn't writing a "what if one or both coasts seceded from the US" alt history novel as we speak.

Still hilarious. It feels good to laugh again after this whole day

Not a year ago we were all talking about splitting California into two new states, now we're unified to get the fuck outta here.

Parch

Convince Washington State and Oregon to tag along and y'all can become part of Canada. We got water for ya.

Still hilarious. It feels good to laugh again after this whole day

Not a year ago we were all talking about splitting California into two new states, now we're unified to get the fuck outta here.

Eh, the Central Valley can stay with the rest of the US. And this is coming from someone who grew up in that area.

FZZ

Banned
It won't happen, but if it did all we gotta do is curb stomp Texas quick af

Rest of the country is a joke militarily, we can bleed em out dry after with no food, ports, or transport

jmon with me

Dishwalla

Banned
We don't want California to leave because it would just make the country worse off. California is the great big anchor on our left coast, we need it there.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The tariffs that Trump talked about, if enacted, would be abysmal to many tech companies that have built up manufacturing and sales around the world to diversify against currency variations and optimize logistics to delivering products.

Convince Washington State and Oregon to tag along and y'all can become part of Canada. We got water for ya.

Um California wouldn't become part of Canada,
California with those 2 states would have 10million more people than all of Canada.
Lucky to merge at best.

Also, someone tried to get a series of succession props on this year's ballot.

But the majority of people in California who did vote voted democrat?

Unless for some reason you think California would have had more electoral votes if more people voted?

Yes, but it you look at the total numbers of votes cast this year in California, there are basically 2 million missing liberal votes. And while they didn't affect the presidency, they certainly affected the props and down ballot races.

18-Volt

Wouldn't a call for impeachment be a lot easier? Wait until he does something really stupid, something that would make even most of the Republicans be filled with remorse (this could happen in just few months), than take action.

Tubobutts

Also, someone tried to get a series of succession props on this year's ballot.

Yes, but it you look at the total numbers of votes cast this year in California, there are basically 2 million missing liberal votes. And while they didn't affect the presidency, they certainly affected the props and down ballot races.
So not enough democrats voted which is why California voted for a democrat president, a democrat senator, and a majority of democratic congressmen?

N.Domixis

Banned
Lets say Califonria secretly develops its own arsenal of nuclear weapons and threatens to use them if they can't become their own country. What would happen?

Wouldn't a call for impeachment be a lot easier? Wait until he does something really stupid, something that would make even most of the Republicans be filled with remorse (this could happen in just few months), than take action.
And then what? President Pence? That's even worse!

JuxJuxJux

Not before you bus all the homeless out of Silicon Valley you helped create first, right guys?

There aren't a ton of homeless people wandering the valley. They're mostly concentrated in SF and Oakland, which are not a part of silicon valley.

Edit: Also, this whole idea is ridiculous.

Not

Banned
God, I fucking wish. California did work this year on the ballot.

But yeah. Unity. We gotta help out.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I think something about this generation doesn't prepare people for what an L feels like and how to deal with one.

Such crazy reactions this year.

Couleurs

Wa, Oregon, Nevada, and Cali can form the Best Coast Nation. Colorado and New Mexico can be part of it.

I wonder if we can get Arizona to let us have their southern border so CO/NM residents can travel to the coast (and vice versa) without leaving the country. Maybe spin it as us protecting them from Mexico.

If that doesn't work, go to war with Utah and take the southern half of the state, letting them keep SLC as a sign of good will, then make Nevada the connecting point

SeanTSC

Just like when Texas wanted to leave after Obamas win.

You mean where everyone else pretty much said "yes, please leave"? Yep, pretty much, and I'm okay with both things.

Best Coast can have its deal, Texas can go be its own country, the North East can go its way. And the rest of the states? Well, have fun guys - we all hated each other anyways! Maybe we'll come visit Disney Atlantis when Florida goes under water.

Schadenfreude Dreams are all I have tonight.

Toxi

Banned
If congress and a majority of the other states don't care it can be done. Sure why not?
First, if this were a remote possibility and not Silicon Valley being Silicon Valley, the rest of the US would vehemently oppose it because California leaving would ruin our economy.

Second, this is a thinly disguised plan for the richer parts of California to shed the poorer parts.

Or ya know, be an adult.
That's not how anyone would describe diablos991.

Seceding is a terrible idea, but I've been thinking it's possible for California and some other states to form a block that acts in unity regarding issues such as minority rights and the environment, perhaps even healthcare, regardless of what the federal government does. Still part of the United States, but with a greater degree of independence than states typically demonstrate.

Not

Banned
Seceding is a terrible idea, but I've been thinking it's possible for California and some other states to form a block that acts in unity regarding issues such as minority rights and the environment, perhaps even healthcare, regardless of what the federal government does. Still part of the United States, but with a greater degree of independence than states typically demonstrate.

Kinda like a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico or Guam?

norm9

California would need to take Las Vegas though. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a vote to get Lake Tahoe too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom