• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley investors call for California to secede from the US after Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espada

The problem would be abandoning the other blue states to be drowned in a massive fascist nation who would forever blame us for our prosperity and their downward spiral and then share a border with that shit.

What's funny is that in the case of a successful secession of California and the other blue west coast states, the red states nastiness and political dominance would prompt the other blue states to secede.

Definitely a nightmare scenario for anyone who wants the country to remain united states.

adj_noun

What's funny is that in the case of a successful secession of California and the other blue west coast states, the red states nastiness and political dominance would prompt the other blue states to secede.

Definitely a nightmare scenario for anyone who wants the country to remain united states.

Flyover country takes on a new meaning in that scenario.

We could blockade the red states before conquering them. Sort of an inverse of the First Civil War where the secessionists are actually the good guys.

ZOONAMI

It is literally the scenario Putin wants to happen. Defeat US world unilateralism by dividing the US. If CA, NY, MN and IL all secede we would have no where near the economic power we do now and the military force would be fractured.

Even just California leaving would essentially destroy national progressivism for the rest of our lifetimes.

p2535748

In this hypothetical situation, does California take counties that voted for Trump? Because if not, you're cutting off a bunch of agriculture, and if so, why? Where exactly are you drawing the line? Why take them and not any red states? Who gets to come along? And what happens if those countries don't want to come, are you going to force then just because right now they happen to be part of your state? Because if you're breaking apart the country, why are state borders suddenly sacred?

Luschient

This shit is stupid when the idiots around here in Texas talk about it and it's stupid when California talks about it.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

And gtfo with him being all "it's the most patriotic thing I could do"

Really? What's more un-patriotic than wanting to split away from the rest of the fucking country?

qcf x2

Didn't California elect the Terminator?
This shit is stupid when the idiots around here in Texas talk about it and it's stupid when California talks about it.

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Really? What's more un-patriotic than wanting to split away from the rest of the fucking country?

You don't understand, our democratic republic only works correctly when I get the results I want.

sinxtanx

I expect they would get the same quality deals afforded the UK by Europe

not that they'd need them

THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

patriotic feelings towards California itself can be a thing

I am really curious if this can become more than just a pipe dream.

I mean, yeah, I'd love it, but I know how crazy it is.
For years I've always thought we should let Texas do their own thing. Forcing states to remain seems somehow wrong. Maybe I'm naive or overly idealistic.

Guess we will see what happens.

Don't even entertain it as a pipedream. If you think the US Government is letting any state leave, they have a whole other thing coming. The nation does not need another civil war.

wildfire

Banned
Whoever these people are need to stop running away. This is not the time to abandon the greatest political project of our species. We can still do our own part to mitigate the harm that will come.

Brokun

This has probably been said before but the whole west coast of America should join Canada lol. It's great up here, you want our laws and culture I know you do.

Espada

We could blockade the red states before conquering them. Sort of an inverse of the First Civil War where the secessionists are actually the good guys.

And that's just isolating this series of events to the country itself. When looked at internationally, you could see foreign countries supporting the new fledgling nation. Like someone said, Putin's Russia or China could start meddling. Then there's the shocks to the global economy.

People need to stop being so dismissive about this stuff. We live in a world where Donald Trump was elected President. Brushing off talk of secession while the country grows ever more polarized and prone to separatism is foolish.

Silicon valley was founded on military research paid for by the US federal government. It has always had a parasitic one way relationship with the government purse.

adj_noun

And that's just isolating this series of events to the country itself. When looked at internationally, you could see foreign countries supporting the new fledgling nation. Like someone said, Putin's Russia or China could start meddling. Then there's the shocks to the global economy.

Harry Turtledove really needs to get on this. I'd read that book.

So basically the opposite to Bioshock Infinite's Columbia? Do we have the technology to make California fly?

BioShock_Infinite_Columbia_Propaganda.jpg

samn

California seceding won't save it from nuclear war and it won't save it from out of control climate change. It would probably doom any attempt to halt it.

Parch

Quebec separation from Canada was a realistic possibility for several years. The division of countries is hardly a unique concept throughout history.

If you're argument is... "You can't do that. It's illegal." then that's a pretty weak argument and you haven't been paying attention to world history. The current situation in the United States definitely could be considered as "unrest" where simply imposing the laws of the oppressor is accepted as the final word. And civil war isn't always the only solution to secession.

Jarmel

Banned
There is no world where the rest of the states let California go. It makes up for so many of the shitty other states that the US economy would crash overnight if it went.

The Beard

California seceding won't save it from nuclear war and it won't save it from out of control climate change. It would probably doom any attempt to halt it.

Exactly. The west coast continuining to "west coast" all on its own isn't going to help shit. We need to continue trying to help the entire country.

Either that or our "former country" will elect Republican after Republican and continue to ignore the environment.

There is no world where the rest of the states let California go. It makes up for so many of the shitty other states that the US economy would crash overnight if it went.
That's sort of the idea. Imagine if the North East, Mid-Atlantic states, Virginia, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, and New Mexico went with California? There goes the nation's entire Pacific port system, most of the Great Lake ports, almost every major city, a ton of military and financial infrastructure. DC would be completely cut off (not to mention the civilian population would be on board). Several flipped states have a close enough margin it might cause massive civil unrest or joining the blue states. The only big thing to focus on would be conquering Texas.

Parch

Even if feasible (not), it wouldn't work.
They'd just cut off our water supply.
Canada could supply California with water. How many barrels would you like to order?
How much are you paying for a bottle of water down there? I'm sure we could come up with a reasonable price per barrel.

Parch

Let them go? What are you going to do? Imprison 55 million people? Is Civil War II really what the rest of the US would support? I'd bet there would be millions who would want to join California, not fight them.

If the overwhelming majority of people in the region really want to secede, it's not about what the federal government is going to let them do.

Maxinas

If California secedes (lol), wouldn't the republicans just win every election then?

Well, their reasoning would be who gives a fuck about what happens in the US, when California would be its own country. People are just letting the anger and distress get to their heads, seriously people the world isn't going to end anytime soon. Quote me on this

Jarmel

Banned
Let them go? What are you going to do? Imprison 55 million people? Is Civil War II really what the rest of the US would support? I'd bet there would be millions who would want to join California, not fight them.

If the overwhelming majority of people in the region really want to secede, it's not about what the federal government is going to let them do.

The US government would use military force if necessary. So yes, there would be a Civil War 2 before California is let go.

That's sort of the idea. Imagine if the North East, Mid-Atlantic states, Virginia, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, Colorado, and New Mexico went with California? There goes the nation's entire Pacific port system, most of the Great Lake ports, almost every major city, a ton of military and financial infrastructure. DC would be completely cut off (not to mention the civilian population would be on board). Several flipped states have a close enough margin it might cause massive civil unrest or joining the blue states. The only big thing to focus on would be conquering Texas.

Not to mention if the West Coast could do it, the North-East might consider it as well. I'm sure plenty of New Yorkers wouldn't mind not having to worry about some dipshit in Kansas.

UberTag

Quebec separation from Canada was a realistic possibility for several years. The division of countries is hardly a unique concept throughout history.

If you're argument is... "You can't do that. It's illegal." th
That separation vote went right down to the wire, too.

49.42% of Quebecers voted to become a sovereign nation.
50.58% of Quebecers voted to remain part of Canada.
Came down to a difference of under 55,000 votes.

The US government would use military force if necessary. So yes, there would be a Civil War 2 before California is let go.
Always exciting to hear news about the next Marvel movie.

I'm fine with this as long as Colorado shuts off California's water supply.

when take your ball and go home? fine. No water for you

If you're argument is... "You can't do that. It's illegal." then that's a pretty weak argument and you haven't been paying attention to world history. The current situation in the United States definitely could be considered as "unrest" where simply imposing the laws of the oppressor is accepted as the final word. And civil war isn't always the only solution to secession.
different country, different constitution.

Quebec's situation changed demographically and ideolgocially in the last 21 years. It is now demographically near impossible for Quebec to separate with its current make up.

+Justin's approval ratings in that province is high, including with Francophones

Lenz44

Banned
So if this wonderful thing actually happened, where would the capital be (of pacifica)? I'm curious what that would look like.

faisal233

So if this wonderful thing actually happened, where would the capital be (of pacifica)? I'm curious what that would look like.

The last time this happened, we had a civil war. Fuck off with "wonderful". If you want a taste of civil war, go to Syria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom