• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silicon Valley investors call for California to secede from the US after Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silicon Valley is nothing but shitlords that have openly admitted they just want their own little bubble so they can get rid of the poors and other undesirables. They are no better than Trump except they hide behind their supposed progressiveness.. Meanwhile their biggest complaint is the US Government limits how many Americans they can fire and bring in cheap foreign replacements for.

Its those poors and undesirables that work the fields that make California that Agricultural Power House.

i don't even know where to begin with this nonsense you're spewing

ultimately, even if silicon valley and these pacific areas could secede peacefully, they would go against their self-interest and elect not to do it, because that would doom the rest of the country's progress for generations

even the wealthy, who would enjoy the benefits from a GOP administration, campaign for the democrats because issues matter and because of how much of an intellectual backwater the republican policy platform is

but continue to generalize a few million people because of what 1 or 2 billionaires (who probably aren't even from california) may or may not have said

antonz

i don't even know where to begin with this nonsense you're spewing

ultimately, even if silicon valley and these pacific areas could secede peacefully, they would go against their self-interest and elect not to do it, because that would doom the rest of the country's progress for generations

even the wealthy, who would enjoy the benefits from a GOP administration, campaign for the democrats because issues matter and because of how much of an intellectual backwater the republican policy platform is

but continue to generalize a few million people because of what 1 or 2 billionaires (who probably aren't even from california) may or may not have said

This isn't a new thing. These same people have been pushing for Breaking California up into little pieces as states so they could get more congressional representation for Democrats. Of course the extra benefit was they intended to make sure all the "drains" on silicon valley as far as people who taxes support etc. would be shoved off into other "states"

They are simply now trying to use Trump as a means to drum up interest for their shitty little plan. I mean the guy openly admits he wants to leave just so they can rejoin the Union. Its all a game for these tools

jett

D-Member
This stuff has been all over my social media feed today, in my dream world sure lol

GGtmBBI.jpg

That stuff is some good stuff right there.

Crayon

The problem would be abandoning the other blue states to be drowned in a massive fascist nation who would forever blame us for our prosperity and their downward spiral and then share a border with that shit.

Village

Don't, because if you stay, you can help vote not him in the office. You are one of the largest peices of electoral votes.

jax

Banned
We don't want California to leave because it would just make the country worse off. California is the great big anchor on our left coast, we need it there.
Well we don't want to be your anchor. The country is holding us back in so many ways. It's time for us to take back our land and become the #2 world economy.

DeviantBoi

This is dumb. No state will every secede, so it's just pointless to suggest otherwise.

If they really want to fight a Trump presidency, they need to work on privacy to prevent the NSA, FBI, etc. from targeting journalists or any other person that speaks against Trump.

And they need to continue fighting for net neutrality.

Machina

Banned
This stuff has been all over my social media feed today, in my dream world sure lol

GGtmBBI.jpg

People who treat this like science fiction are probably in for a surprise. This hypothetical nation sounds like a ripe sanctuary for minorities against Trump and his ilk and wouldn't require a dramatic or expensive shift in life to get there.

Texas isn't the 5th biggest economy in the world, so you can keep those comparisons. It also doesn't have the population that would best be described as a "country".

samn

This is dumb. No state will every secede, so it's just pointless to suggest otherwise.

If they really want to fight a Trump presidency, they need to work on privacy to prevent the NSA, FBI, etc. from targeting journalists or any other person that speaks against Trump.

And they need to continue fighting for net neutrality.

That would require a complete change in business model, sadly.

The Beard

How about we just wait out the next 4 years, vote during the midterms, and help the country get a sane president back in the White House next election?

This makes me embarrassed to be a Californian.

Mark L

You should probably understand that if you tried to do this, a lot of people would be actively trying to kill you. I mean, we are talking about people with guns, with rockets, artillery, jets, drones. Every politician in Washington understands that you are necessary to the Union for the wealth you produce and access to the Pacific.

They will kill you for that money.

You should probably understand that if you tried to do this, a lot of people would be actively trying to kill you. I mean, we are talking about people with guns, with rockets, artillery, jets, drones. Every politician in Washington understands that you are necessary to the Union for the wealth you produce and access to the Pacific.

Come at us bro

We got Chill Vibes and Area 51 on our side. We'll music festival you all to death

Yep and 95% of California's military would abandon you in a heartbeat. Also, we would be stuck with a huge desert representing half the country. The better idea is to strengthen local and state governments against the federal government like the Republicans did for decades. Stop rolling over in attempts for unity.

Keby

GGtmBBI.jpg

After this election I'm doing everything in my power to stay in seattle. Thank god most of the gaming/animation industry is over here on the west coast.

Plot twist: New California Republic is taken over by Silicon Valley libertarian technocrats

Peter Thiel is elected president of NCR in a landslide

Fjordson

California is awesome and it's depressing that we have to stay in Trump's America, but...c'mon. Silly to think of this as a serious idea imo.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Three quarters of a million Americans died the last time someone tried to pull this shit. This kind of rhetoric is as dangerous as anything Trump has said. Knock it the fuck off

jax

Banned
California is awesome and it's depressing that we have to stay in Trump's America, but...c'mon. Silly to think of this as a serious idea imo.
Not really. If you go to that website and read the book about it it actually makes a lot of sense.

jax

Banned
Three quarters of a million Americans died the last time someone tried to pull this shit. This kind of rhetoric is as dangerous as anything Trump has said. Knock it the fuck off
Trumpmerica can try to declare war, losing most of his countries food and all of the technology resources. We'll see how well that turns out for them.

PopeReal

It isn't anything new. People have reacted this way before.

Logically the best way to change things is to use your influence by voting and rallying people to your cause. Not by running away.

But this is really just a way for people to feel better right now. We have to cope. The election just happened. Let people deal with this reality for now and figure out how to move forward.

qcf x2

Cool, do it and show that "backwards idiocracy" how genius and creative you are! But no takebacks and good luck defending yourself.

You honestly think an actual war would break out?

I'd be done politically and with no shots fired or not at all.

At the very least a push for this would do a lot to get people talking and strengthen the resolve of the socially progressive.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Trumpmerica can try to declare war, losing most of his countries food and all of the technology resources. We'll see how well that turns out for them.

Yeah, because Californian military bases don't answer to the president and will totally go along with secession. The military is such a progressive institution that shares California's values.

It would be a fucking nightmare of bloodshed.

It's been quite a while since the Civil War, and a lot has changed:

1. It is in no way practical to occupy or even take a landmass the size of California with as many denizens as California has in modern warfare. We couldn't even really manage taking and holding all of Afghanistan, and that was with the full US military plus NATO allies.

You act as if this would be even remotely necessary to win this ridiculous hypothetical war. Blockade the ports, destroy key electric infrastructure, and freeze the assets of the wealthy and California based corporations. They'd capitulate within hours. Minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom