• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Pandemic

I just read the comments. 300 plus people have given it 1 star and man this is not good for EA. They should never have required online connections for a game with many veteran fans, whom never wanted to play online to begin with.

Agreed, metacritic is worse lol, 700 negative reviews, and counting.

Sinistral

Same here. I have industry, power, garbage, sewage, etc. in one city and residential and commercial only in another. It's been tricky to get them to commute, but so far so good.
tw62Rts.jpg

rLFg9PP.jpg

Still trying to get the middle area to sprout some high rise stuff...

It maybe a server issue load issue. As I said earlier I have a city of 10000 with no industry jobs supported by another one which is almost all industry.

So what's the trick? Can your industrial city have 0 residential? Does the city have to be right beside it? You don't need any in town residents to operate the local train/bus station? I have open jobs and unemployed, of all wealth and they just don't go. I'm stumped =|

Edit: When I post, it's mostly because of servers...

Now a 20 minute queue...

Awesome, I have yet to be able to play the game I spent $65 bucks on... this server queue nonsense is absolutely ridiculous. I am never going to buy another game on Origin again. Some of us work overtime, and don't have time to wait 30-60 min. to get into a game every night.

fritolay

I realize I keep reading this thread because I really want to get the game. I like the graphics and have been waiting for a new simcity game. I have the cities XL games. Now I just keep reading but have not pulled the trigger. I am having flashbacks to when I wanted a PS3 I just couldn't find a good reason to get it.

Spookie

So what's the trick? Can your industrial city have 0 residential? Does the city have to be right beside it? You don't need any in town residents to operate the local train/bus station? I have open jobs and unemployed, of all wealth and they just don't go. I'm stumped =|

Server is probably out of sync and one city isn't recognising the developments of the other. I had that issue when I had opened the Education department in one city and I couldn't build a Uni in the other.

Simply put: The game is a fucking mess.

Spl1nter

For me my industrial city has a small residential part. It was the first city I started. It has massive oil supplies which I started to build up. Used some of that money than to quickly build my residential city and than went back and forth between the two adding on to each. I used tourism to also help give a boost to my residential city. It has taken quite a bit of time.

I have been lucky enough to play the game quite a bit compared to everyone else. Got a lot of time in Monday night and yesterday, as well with mid-morning and afternoon today. Kind of funny I would say I went from liking the game to then disliking it after making my first city. Felt like I had been restricted by the city size. But I started with a new region and making cities which would work together, been loving it now. I honestly cant wait for expansions to roads, city size and any other DLC.

Mazdarati

Neo Member

I did zone some Res. to fill up the jobs for the power station.(150 people)
My cities are adjacent.
Some graphs say that people are commuting from the residential city to the industrial one. Another graph tells me no one is commuting out of my city. There are ~2,500 people going through the train station and bus depot at the industry city to work there. I get messages at the top of the screen saying people are commuting between the cities, but industry still screams for more workers.

Lingitiz

I realize I keep reading this thread because I really want to get the game. I like the graphics and have been waiting for a new simcity game. I have the cities XL games. Now I just keep reading but have not pulled the trigger. I am having flashbacks to when I wanted a PS3 I just couldn't find a good reason to get it.

Its a great game with a few glaring problems when it actually works. Its Wednesday now so the server issues are only going to get worse once the weekend hits. Not looking forward to that.

I feel like the queue system is... well... uhhh

Why would it make me wait 20mins just to ATTEMPT to join again... I can just exit out and relaunch to do that... smh guys I just wanna play. If Arma 3 wasn't so good I'd be pissed.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Seriously, I like how it's an arbitrary 30 minute countdown.

I really cannot believe I'm sitting in a queue to play a fucking Sim City game.

Yesterday I quit the timer at 20mins, reconnected (via select server in the bottom left) and got in right way :lol. I'll try that again if I don't connect after it runs down. seems completely arbitrary.

From what I've heard, it's not a queue, it's just the time til it tries to reconnect again. Which would explain why some people who close it and restart connect right after being in the "queue".

Smiley90

Aaaand I just skipped the queue anyway and connected. In the game now! :p Na east 1, at least.

It's not a queue, it's a "reconnection attempt" timer.

doodle

Am I missing something here or is it possible to change servers from inside the game? I hate having to re-open the game every time.

Spl1nter

The commercial in the first picture on the right side by the arena is pretty recent. Reason it also isnt highly developed yet. Decided to redesign the roads to fit more commercial in.

You can see the industrial city in the background in the 2nd picture.

RoKKeR

Damn, the layouts of your people's cities are seemingly more complex than mine, road placement is great. I always kind of make shit up as I go.

VALIS

Been playing on my laptop up until now, so I haven't run into this before: Anyone else able to play this on a dual monitor setup or do I have to disconnect one? I'm getting a black screen with music, which is a typical gaming dual monitor problem.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Same here. I have industry, power, garbage, sewage, etc. in one city and residential and commercial only in another. It's been tricky to get them to commute, but so far so good.
tw62Rts.jpg

rLFg9PP.jpg

Awesome looking city! Man, if this game just had the city sizes of Simcity 4 I would be in heaven, imagine the possibilities of making a large city like that. Looks fantastic.

To be fair, your city looks REALLY small :lol how many people is that? 15k? less probably?

That's not his fault, LOL! :D

Spl1nter

Damn, the layouts of your people's cities are seemingly more complex than mine, road placement is great. I always kind of make shit up as I go.

Lots of bulldozing. Early on I experiment with what I want it to look like with dirt road since its so cheap.

everytime the launcher connects and i click play. it goes to the game menu and say it can't connect to server. does it auto connect here or do i have to restart?

Sinistral

For me my industrial city has a small residential part. It was the first city I started. It has massive oil supplies which I started to build up. Used some of that money than to quickly build my residential city and than went back and forth between the two adding on to each. I used tourism to also help give a boost to my residential city. It has taken quite a bit of time.

I have been lucky enough to play the game quite a bit compared to everyone else. Got a lot of time in Monday night and yesterday, as well with mid-morning and afternoon today. Kind of funny I would say I went from liking the game to then disliking it after making my first city. Felt like I had been restricted by the city size. But I started with a new region and making cities which would work together, been loving it now. I honestly cant wait for expansions to roads, city size and any other DLC.

Got back into the game and, you do indeed need some -local residents- for basic operations. Once I put those back into my Industrial town, the commuters exploded (not sure if it is server issues now or not, doubtful). Thanks!

RoKKeR

tw62Rts.jpg

rLFg9PP.jpg

Incredibly cool layout. Did you start them simultaneously?

Smiley90

Figured while servers are down, pictures of my city on the brink of ruin/about to be reset. In the background some other cities! :p got rid of all industrial towards the end of the game :p

Spl1nter

Got back into the game and, you do indeed need some -local residents- for basic operations. Once I put those back into my Industrial town, the commuters exploded (not sure if it is server issues now or not, doubtful). Thanks!

Also remember to build more than just one bus terminal and park n ride. They are critical for commuting.

RoKKeR

Lots of bulldozing. Early on I experiment with what I want it to look like with dirt road since its so cheap.
Ah, didn't think about that! Great, thanks for the heads up. I've abandoned my current city, and sent a shit ton of funds to a new one where I'm going to try a dual/city setup.

roMonster

Did i miss something(?) because I just got the point to where I could build a bus station and my Double Decker station is not in my game anymore. Neither is my french police station.

Top Bottom