• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Orayn said:
Yep, DVI and HDMI are essentially the same connector, just in different shapes. It might take a little fiddling around to get the audio to go through HDMI, though - Worst case scenario you can just give up and use a 3.5mm to RCA Y-cable.

OK thanks man.

Xun

Just wait guys.

From playing the demo I can safely say it'll be worth waiting for.

The sword controls are just insanely good. I can't stress my love for it enough.

ASIS

Xun said:
Just wait guys.

From playing the demo I can safely say it'll be worth waiting for.

The sword controls are just insanely good. I can't stress my love for it enough.
Would you call it revolutionary though? Would you?

Kat Bailey's impressions

http://www.gamepro.com/article/prev...finally-makes-good-on-the-promise-of-the-wii/

As of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword though, it seems that Nintendo has finally unlocked the potential of motion controls. It's more than just a pointer now; "waggle" as we knew it is finally dead. In fact, trying to waggle your way through Skyward Sword is a really bad idea.

It finally clicked with me around the second dungeon or so. To that point, I had struggled a bit with some of the tougher opponents because I wanted to simply wiggle my wrist at them. That was fine for simpler enemies like bats, but more advanced foes would block me everytime.
The first boss fight is an abject less in that regard -- try and waggle the Wii Remote at him and he'll steal your sword and use it against you.

Spoilered the last line for first boss fight mind blowingness.

Don't yell at me for not wanting to take the risk.
emosternwx8.png

But after five years and countless experiments, I feel like Skyward Sword is the game that Nintendo wanted when they set out to develop the Wii. It's that fresh experience that we were promised when it was still called the "Revolution. Or the experience that I wanted, at least.

Thus far, the new motion controls have forced me to approach each enemy differently. They've made me think in ways that haven't really come up in a Zelda game before. They've made for unique encounters that wouldn't really have been possible in the past. This is the kind of game that I expected to be playing back in 2007 and 2008.
This is my feeling as well. I feel it's a little too late but I'm glad one game is truly picking up on the potential that people imagined for the Wii when it was first revealed. Shame that the Wii U throws a lot of that out the window.

ShockingAlberto said:
Spoilered the last line for first boss fight mind blowingness.
I actually liked that bit. The First Boss trolling players who want to waggle their way through.

Don't yell at me for not wanting to take the risk
But we've known the first boss since the E3 2011. I think it's safe.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I guess the demo is the same as the one I played about ten days ago at a games convention,
and that one boss fight ShockingAlberto mentioned is in there. And it's amazing

As of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword though, it seems that Nintendo has finally unlocked the potential of motion controls. It's more than just a pointer now; "waggle" as we knew it is finally dead. In fact, trying to waggle your way through Skyward Sword is a really bad idea.

It finally clicked with me around the second dungeon or so. To that point, I had struggled a bit with some of the tougher opponents because I wanted to simply wiggle my wrist at them

At this point I don't know whose fault it is--Nintendo's/developers for not fully taking advantage of the Wii experience, or people in general just coming down with a case of the dumbs when it comes to the Wii--but too many reviewers and gamers who should know better seem to lose all sense of gross motor control when they pick up a Wii remote.

Why on earth would it take a professional reviewer hours to stop flailing their wrist at the screen? Why is it an epiphany to use deliberate movements? And I noticed this at the Nintendo World Store the other day, too--a twentysomething who seemed pretty psyched to be playing the SS demo was just hacking away with the remote for the entirety of the dungeon section.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Worst part of the demo leaking early is that Nintendo very rarely puts demos in their kiosks early and this will probably keep it that way.

DrForester said:
Worst part of the demo leaking early is that Nintendo very rarely puts demos in their kiosks early and this will probably keep it that way.

Are there demo kiosks with this game anywhere in the US? Not NYC.

AniHawk

i think the only good zelda commercials in the us have been the spirit tracks one and the majora's mask one.

oot - good until 'willst thou suck'
tww - good music, cringe-worthy dialogue
fsa - part of the gc who are you ads
tmc - part of the gba who are you ads. just blah.
tp - part of the wii would like to play ads. makes the game look like it controls like skyward sword
ph - bunch of people playing their ds
ss - falling swords will kill you and your family, and wreck your personal property

mm and st were creepy in a good way. but god damn, every single one of these commercials takes place in the real world in some way, and very few in an awesome 'SHINOBI'S BACK!' sort of way.

edit: i see now that st totally ripped off the alttp gba ad.

oh and i guess oracle of ages/seasons and the oot 3d remake didn't have people playing them, but they didn't have much game footage either.

RPGCrazied said:
Do they sell the attachment at gamestop for cheap? I don't want to buy a full motion + controller for this demo.
All of my local Walmarts still have the Red Steel 2 Motion+ bundle on clearance for $20.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Woah there cowboys (and girls). My original statements regarding the potential demo leak were related to the rumours that it would be given out at the anniversary concert. If it's been leaked from a booth or something, that does change things.

Top Bottom