• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
JimWood27 said:
This picture brings up something my OCD-riddled brain was thinking about. I display my games on a shelf and they are alphabetical left-to-right so SS would be before TP. But with my CDs, they are alphabetical by band but then chronologically by album. So if I were to do my games that way, SS would be after TP. For those of you with similar obsessive tendencies, what do you think is the best way for series that are not numbered?
Sell it and replace it with the GCN version. 'Twilight Princess' comes after 'The Wind Waker' so that shelf will be just peachy.

BurntPork said:
Oh, fuck it. I'll probably forget all of this five minutes into the game...

Dude, you seriously need to start contributing like a normal human being. No need to be so extreme about everything. How about just naturally looking forward to a fun game, play it and enjoy it or decide it's not for you? Your behavior is crazy all over the board - it doesn't need to be:
"god yes!!"... transition to:
"oh what? It's not perfect? I'm spiking this thing into the dumpster" and finally over to:
"nevermind, I love it!"

...before a game has even released.

I do alphabetical by system, system by date purchased

so (3DS) (PS3) (360) (Wii) (PS2), etc.

Also I ignore "The," so "The Legend of Zelda" is categorized as just "Legend of Zelda." And the same applies to subtitles, such as "Wind Waker."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
JasoNsider said:
Dude, you seriously need to start contributing like a normal human being. No need to be so extreme about everything. How about just naturally looking forward to a fun game, play it and enjoy it or decide it's not for you? Your behavior is crazy all over the board - it doesn't need to be:
"god yes!!"... transition to:
"oh what? It's not perfect? I'm spiking this thing into the dumpster" and finally over to:
"nevermind, I love it!"

...before a game has even released.

Please, tell him this.
He's such a lost case now.
Between Pachter and Morgan Webb.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hahahahaha.

BurntPork.

BGBW said:
Sell it and replace it with the GCN version. 'Twilight Princess' comes after 'The Wind Waker' so that shelf will be just peachy.
The 'The' in Wind Waker does not count for me. Never has, never will, so TP would be before WW.

ShockingAlberto said:
I do alphabetical by system, system by date purchased

so (3DS) (PS3) (360) (Wii) (PS2), etc.

Also I ignore "The," so "The Legend of Zelda" is categorized as just "Legend of Zelda." And the same applies to subtitles, such as "Wind Waker."
Sounds just like my shelves. I think I am just going to stick with alphabetical all around.

Caelus

Has anyone seen this shot from 2010?
normal_RVL_ZeldaSS_01ssLS02_E3.png

I've never seen it before, ever. Looks good for a beta.

thomaser

JasoNsider said:
Dude, you seriously need to start contributing like a normal human being. No need to be so extreme about everything. How about just naturally looking forward to a fun game, play it and enjoy it or decide it's not for you?[/I]

But then he won't get all that attention he so desperately craves.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Caelus said:
Has anyone seen this shot from 2010?
http://www.zeldadungeon.net/gallery/albums/skyward-sword/screenshots/normal_RVL_ZeldaSS_01ssLS02_E3.png[IMG]
I've never seen it before, ever. Looks good for a beta.[/QUOTE]

bullshot

JimWood27 said:
Yeah, I have looked at it both ways and neither seemed like THE solution.

I am leaning this way.

Make use of the colon in Zelda: Skyward Sword. Assuming normal ascii encoding, this technically means that it should be listed after Zelda Twilight Princess.

EmCeeGramr said:
the progression of burntpork:

FL6xn.png
Now is it possible that Zelda was actually created by aliens in order to funnel money to the shadow government?

I'm not saying it's for sure what happened, but yes, it is possible.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EatChildren said:
Hahahahaha.

BurntPork.

That reminds me.

EatChildren, you got your time with the game. Do you have an idea of the difficulty for the short time you had with the game?

ShockingAlberto said:
Now is it possible that Zelda was actually created by aliens in order to funnel money to the shadow government?

I'm not saying it's for sure what happened, but yes, it is possible.

The original Legend of Zelda allowed players to complete, dungeons, in any order. That's the type of thinking that wouldn't be displayed, even by our top developers, even today! That's like GTAIII, but on 8 bits! Before 3D, before regenerating health or aiming down a sight. Nobody can explain this.

Can Japanese people in the 1980s, devoid of any modern Western advances in open-world gameplay, really have designed this? Or is there something else at work here? Something, higher? Look at the Triforce. It's a triangle. Triangles are well known throughout history as symbols, of, of the gods. But are they gods... or extraterrestrial visitors?

Kard8p3

EmCeeGramr said:
The original Legend of Zelda allowed players to complete, dungeons, in any order. That's the type of thinking that wouldn't be displayed, even by our top developers, even today! That's like GTAIII, but on 8 bits! Before 3D, before regenerating health or aiming down a sight. Nobody can explain this.

Can Japanese people in the 1980s, devoid of any modern Western advances in open-world gameplay, really have designed this? Or is there something else at work here? Something, higher? Look at the Triforce. It's a triangle. Triangles are well known throughout history as symbols, of, of the gods. But are they gods... or extraterrestrial visitors?

2dt6iza.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BY2K said:
EatChildren, you got your time with the game. Do you have an idea of the difficulty for the short time you had with the game?

I had some difficulty with Ghirahim, but I put it down to learning the controls. I didn't play enough of game to get an idea of how the difficulty might stretch across the whole game. I find the problem with Zelda difficulty isn't so much the base difficulty, as how easy the game becomes once you stock up on hearts. The games get easier as the game progresses, which is...not what should happen.

That said, I don't expect Skyward Sword to be easier than Twilight Princess, which was literally autopilot.

Anth0ny said:
I think even Miyamoto (or was it Iwata) mentioned that hard parts in games are the most memorable.

death.jpg

176699-LegendofZeldaThe-OcarinaofTimeUV10s.jpg

Remember the part in Twilight Princess where you...uh...yeah...

This speaks volumes. It's so true. Hardened gamers need challenge.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EatChildren said:
I had some difficulty with Ghirahim, but I put it down to learning the controls. I didn't play enough of game to get an idea of how the difficulty might stretch across the whole game. I find the problem with Zelda difficulty isn't so much the base difficulty, as how easy the game becomes once you stock up on hearts. The games get easier as the game progresses, which is...not what should happen.

That said, I don't expect Skyward Sword to be easier than Twilight Princess, which was literally autopilot.

Like I said, one more heart in SS only means one more hit, not 4 more like in TP, since in SS most enemies deals one heart of damage.

It shouldn't be that big of a problem in this one. (But should still be there, I think, unless enemies gradually deals more damage too.)

BurntPork

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
You are crazy.
I am not!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to talk to my wallet and the pain she'll have to deal with next month.

And you know what? There's no way this could be easier than TP. That's physically impossible for an action-adventure game. My dog just reminded me of that.

Lunar15

I don't understand the big deal about difficulty. Gaf (and myself) seems to love TWW, yet it's arguably the easiest game in the series.

Even OOT was pretty easy for me (compared to ALTTP), and it's my favorite in the series. As long as the game is fun and interesting, I don't see a need to point out difficulty as being a major factor for this series.

Myriadis

EmCeeGramr said:

No. You have to get some items to access some dungeons in Zelda I. Raft for Level 4, Ladder for everything after Level 4, Flute for Level 5 and Bow and Arrow for Level 6. You can't just do every Dungeons in any order.

And on my last playthough on Ocarina of Time I also noticed that the regular enemies were all easy, taking maybe max. 1/2 hearts. It was an hard game when you faced the bosses.

BurntPork said:
And you know what? There's no way this could be easier than TP. That's physically impossible for an action-adventure game.
Ever played Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon for the N64? Twilight Princess is like Zelda 1 compared to that.

kunonabi

The entire series has been a cake walk since OoT. TP and ST at least had really solid dungeons to make up for it. Overly easy games turned me off the series so I really hope SS doesn't fall into that pitfall again since everything else is so potentially awesome. I really want a Zelda game that I can put up there with lttp. The game doesn't need to be NES hard but something comparable to lttp would do.

sphinx

the piano man
kunonabi said:
The entire series has been a cake walk since OoT. TP and ST at least had really solid dungeons to make up for it. Overly easy games turned me off the series so I really hope SS doesn't fall into that pitfall again since everything else is so potentially awesome. I really want a Zelda game that I can put up there with lttp. The game doesn't need to be NES hard but something comparable to lttp would do.

sure, if you missed majora's mask, that is.

EatChildren said:

Speaking of the controls... How are they? Is controlling the sword like Wii Sports Resort's dual mode (leaning towards 1:1) or like controlling the saber in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? (more like gestures for button presses)

Difficulty can vary from person to person, guys

Just because one person finds SS easy doesn't mean you will. Same as if someone found it hard.

I flew through Twilight Princess and watched my brother, someone who beat Demon's Souls, struggle with parts (mostly puzzle-oriented).

It seems like it would do you, whoever is fretting their pants dirty about difficulty, some good to just sit back and wait to play the game yourself. If your sole determining factor about whether you enjoy a game or not is difficulty, then I have no idea what you're doing looking at a 3D Zelda in the first place.

Dr.Hadji

sphinx said:
sure, if you missed majora's mask, that is.

MM is the first Zelda I remember being "easy" because its the first Zelda I felt I had a firm grip of all the systems. I vividly remember beating every dungeon in one sitting to beat the three day cycle. Before that I was stuck in the Water Temple for weeks. And the Ice Temple in LTTP for days. Come to think of it ST is the most trouble I've had with a Zelda since OOT.

And lol, at people trying to make wandering around a marker of difficulty.

I for one will not be picking up any heart containers after boss fights. I've never done that before in a Zelda game, but I think it will make this one more fun

edit: I'll probably be earning tons of extra hearts through side quests anyways, because I won't be skipping those

EatChildren said:

Airlines would save a boatload of money if you shared this revelation with them.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Chet Rippo said:
It's taking him a while to achieve super saiyan power. Give him some time.
I thought he was slowly turning into Tiger Jackson from Tekken.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Dr.Hadji said:
MM is the first Zelda I remember being "easy" because its the first Zelda I felt I had a firm grip of all the systems. I vividly remember beating every dungeon in one sitting to beat the three day cycle. Before that I was stuck in the Water Temple for weeks. And the Ice Temple in LTTP for days. Come to think of it ST is the most trouble I've had with a Zelda since OOT.

And lol, at people trying to make wandering around a marker of difficulty.

You had trouble in Spirit Tracks?

I guess difficulty really is relative...

imthemaid

Banned
I'm probably stating the obvious, but some of the posts here lead me to believe that I'm not.

If you're concerned about a lack of combat difficulty in a Zelda game, here's what you do: Once you've finished a temple, DON'T PICK UP THE HEART! If you find that the game is becoming too difficult for you, after the next temple, PICK UP THE HEART!

I played TP on release with 4 hearts, and I found the difficulty to be perfect for me; how odd.

StunandStab said:
I for one will not be picking up any heart containers after boss fights. I've never done that before in a Zelda game, but I think it will make this one more fun

Yes, that's very likely.

The whole concept of having to artificially restrict yourself to get a decent challenge from a game is stupid, and indicates that the balance is off to begin with.

BY2K said:
You had trouble in Spirit Tracks?

I guess difficulty really is relative...
Some of the puzzles in the later floors of the tower of the spirits were stumping the hell out of me. I think I was actually killed by the second boss and that third boss almost had my number as well for that matter. It was certainly the toughest Zelda game i'd played since my first foray through Majora's Mask

Top Bottom