• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

The_Technomancer said:
Zelda_Metroid_by_Demonlemon.png

I knew DeviantArt wouldn't fail me...
Is it strange that I wish this was actually the main character?

Fuck, I'd even play a facebook game if this was the hero.

Sucks to hear about the easy difficulty throughout, one of the things I hoped would definitely change. But now there's talk of there being only a few select locales and just not being as fleshed out as WW's overworld. Guess we'll have to wait on a few more confirmations but I'm now cautiously optimistic about it being the "best Zelda ever" from my perspective.

Cipherr

EmCeeGramr said:
you don't even know if he's reviewing the game

he didn't even say anything about the game itself other than what he hopes since he hasn't been keeping up with it

Ill bet he is. And he didnt really have to say much. He said enough right there (assuming thats really him). He is going to ether this game, and I am going to shower, drink, and splash around the in the tears for weeks to come.

Well that was fast.

Red

TheExplodingHead said:
Sucks to hear about the easy difficulty throughout, one of the things I hoped would definitely change. But now there's talk of there being only a few select locales and just not being as fleshed out as WW's overworld. Guess we'll have to wait on a few more confirmations but I'm now cautiously optimistic about it being the "best Zelda ever" from my perspective.
Who said it's not as fleshed out as WW? How would that even be possible?

Cipherr said:
Ill bet he is. And he didnt really have to say much. He said enough right there (assuming thats really him). He is going to ether this game, and I am going to shower, drink, and splash around the in the tears for weeks to come.
he said he hasn't been keeping up with the game and that the series needs innovation

that's it

he didn't say anything about "i don't know about skyward sword," or "not looking too interesting" or anything like that

Crunched said:
Who said it's not as fleshed out as WW? How would that even be possible?

Some ONM quote I read addressing fan questions about SS. That was basically the gist of the question to if SS was as large as the Great Sea. Of course larger/more islands doesn't mean better but there wasn't a "yeah but SS has this and this" to make up for it, either.

Hiltz

So what do you think the chances are of Link eventually being able to use his sword and beat down those guardians in the Silent Realm? I wonder why he even has to go in without it in the first place.

Kard8p3

TheExplodingHead said:
Some ONM quote I read addressing fan questions about SS. That was basically the gist of the question to if SS was as large as the Great Sea. Of course larger/more islands doesn't mean better but there wasn't a "yeah but SS has this and this" to make up for it, either.

I could've sworn they said the sky overworld was smaller but there was more content in terms of the smaller islands.

Oh and here's the new Iwata Asks footage in youtube form for those interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3P766zhzNs

Club Nintendo needs to offer the game's entire soundtrack as a reward. These videos are killing me. :(

IceDoesntHelp said:
Hey, write a fan fiction about Quagsire and Politoed, and all will be fine.
It'll be a horror story. Poliwrath wants Politoed to stay away from the baby Wooper. Wooper evolves into Quagsire and wrecks havoc on the entire Poli-village! We'll call it "I Toed You So!"

ejqxh.jpg

Not so classy without your little hat and bow tie!

UltimateIke said:
Club Nintendo needs to offer the game's entire soundtrack as a reward. These videos are killing me. :(

It'll be a horror story. Poliwrath wants Politoed to stay away from the baby Wooper. Wooper evolves into Quagsire and wrecks havoc on the entire Poli-village! We'll call it "I Toed You So!"

ejqxh.jpg

Not so classy without your little hat and bow tie!
golfclap.gif

I may not be classy, but I still get the ladies.

Is the gold wiimote bundle limited edition? I was gonna get it day one, but I figured I'll just get it whenever I get done with Dark Souls, but I don't want to miss out.

bdizzle said:
Is the gold wiimote bundle limited edition? I was gonna get it day one, but I figured I'll just get it whenever I get done with Dark Souls, but I don't want to miss out.
It is, better pre-order it ASAP, or you'll miss out.

bdizzle said:
Pre-orders have "sold out" on Amazon. They might get more stock than they expect, so orders could possibly re-open.

Remember, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario All-Stars were pretty limited, so don't wait too long!

Red

TheExplodingHead said:
Wasn't the quote more along the lines of "smaller overworld, packed with more content"?

Crunched said:
Wasn't the quote more along the lines of "smaller overworld, packed with more content"?

Here's the quote I'm referring to:

Malice of Yoshi asks: Is the Sky overworld as developed, and as large as the Great Sea overworld was in the Wind Waker?

Nope. Wind Waker's Great Sea was larger and I'm going to take an educated guess here, but I think it has more islands. Having said that, Skyward Sword's got Hyrule, too!

Of course this isn't a whole lot to get worried over, you kind of need to read between the lines to find an issue. I was just personally hoping they would give the same attention to environment variety, stuff to do/explore beyond what WW/MM did. Maybe they did, but all of the evidence from hands-on reviews seems to point to the opposite. Reviews seem to imply WSR was the road map, and the game was made with an arm on the shoulder of that audience...

Deadly Joker said:
I never finished Twilight Princess.

Where can I get it for the cheapest price?

I want to get in my Zelda zone.
You can get it brand new for $20 now.

Most places should still have it. Nintendo re-released it in their Nintendo Selects line.

totowhoa

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
I never finished Twilight Princess.

Where can I get it for the cheapest price?

I want to get in my Zelda zone.

New for 20 or 10 + shipping used on amazon, probably some comparable price at GS or other used game stores. The GC version used on amazon is 30 + shipping... I'd guess GS has that same game for around 30 as well. I prefer the GC version due to the sword waggle on Wii, but plenty of people are OK with the Wii version (pointer controls are a plus here).

Lunar15

Wait, are people seriously trying to compare The Sky to the Great Sea? I feel like the Sky is a relatively unimportant section of the game when compared to the seemingly huge landmass of hyrule below.

I kind of see the whole sky as sort of a giant Clock Town, acting as a hub, but not quite an "overworld".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone said Hyper had a review for this, so I went to the news agent and saw no such thing, just last month's issue.

Lies!

I just hoped the world is well flushed out. TP was a let down in that regard, and I've been feeling less and less connected to the world and characters after MM.

also, any word on chests in the game? Should I avoid going into any grotto's to find rupees or bombs only to have to return it back to the chest?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@MUWANdo said:
On the upside, you didn't have to buy a copy of Hyper.

That is a good upside.

EmCeeGramr said:
he said he hasn't been keeping up with the game and that the series needs innovation

that's it

he didn't say anything about "i don't know about skyward sword," or "not looking too interesting" or anything like that

In general Jeff has really turned on this weird old man vibe in regards to gaming. Whereas Ryan plays at being outright dismissive and derisive, with Jeff it feels like it's not an act

It mostly comes through in the podcasts, where he has also said a few times how little he cares about SS.

But I agree he'll most likely be the one to review it.

IceDoesntHelp said:
It is, better pre-order it ASAP, or you'll miss out.

UltimateIke said:
Pre-orders have "sold out" on Amazon. They might get more stock than they expect, so orders could possibly re-open.

Remember, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Super Mario All-Stars were pretty limited, so don't wait too long!

I've had it pre-ordered since August. I was going to cancel it instead of having a bunch of games sitting on a shelf when I'll be focusing all my time on Dark Souls for the foreseeable future. I'll just keep my preorder open since I want the gold wiimote.

EatChildren

I just want to say, people need to stop drawing parallels to other Zelda games if they really want to see the franchise evolve and offer something new. All I seem to hear is "Is the ground connected?", "What size is the sky world?" and "How many dungeons?". Elements of the franchise, but irrelevant unless explained in the context of the game it is.

Give than that Skyward Sword takes place in a setting new for the franchise, has a new overworld system, and is changing up the dungeon dynamics, they're all rather pointless and irrelevant questions. If Skyward Sword is different, then it will need to be judged by it's own standards. Maybe the sky world is small, but how much content is there? Maybe there aren't many dungeons, but how many intermission quests are there? So on, and so forth.

Trying to rate Skyward Sword up against the elements of all the previous games is, in my opinion, defeating the point of what people have been requesting all this time; something new and different.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Some translated details from the Iwata Ask:

Aonuma. Fujibayashi, and Co. wanted the forest area to feel bright and friendly rather than "lost" and foreboding like in other games.

Iwata: To begin, rather than making another field similar to the ones in previous Zelda games, you instead pursued the interest factor of playing in places familiar to the player. Would you consider talking about why you decided on that sort of structure?

Fujibayashi: We were told at the very beginning by Aonuma, the producer, that we ought to make the game compact.

Iwata: So you mean that this time, it was Aonuma who told you what Miyamoto had been saying all along. *laughing* It is a little silly to make another field that just extends in all directions, its only feature being its width.

Fujibayashi: That's right. I thought that by making a field with vertical depth instead of making one that got wider and wider, players would get new surprise and enjoyment out of it each time they visited.

Iwata: In short, when you say "compact", you don't mean making a small and narrow field, but rather a field that's dense.

Blue beacons function a lot like smoke signals.
They hoped to capture Wind Waker's artistic impact with the watercolor style. After E3 2010, they were told by Nintendo of America to ramp it up because people didn't find it very convincing.
Making the Sealed Grounds a compact spiraling area has a lot to do with making sure the camera angles can always be optimal for fighting a giant boss like the Imprisoned. Originally they envisioned a large fiend area for that fight.

(Note: Watch out here, spoiler about the black beast)
We'll fight The Imprisoned multiple times during the game rather than just once like we're used to. They suggest he wasn't totally sealed, explaining why he appears in a twisted, incomplete beast-like form.
They compare the Silent Realm sections to a game of tag. Link has no weapons, just his ability to maneuver around the areas.
Dungeons and fields aren't really all that distinct in this game. You'll use items in the same way in both, and you'll return to dungeons just like you used to return to fields. New enemies will await during your return visits.

Ito: I think that, generally, there are many people in the Western world who embrace a fantasy image when it comes to Zelda. But there are robots in this one...

Iwata: That's right. In the last Iwata Asks, we heard about "The Ancient Civilization that birthed the Robot Punch."

Ito: You got it. *laughing* That means people often question what, exactly, is Zelda-esque. I think, though, that Zelda has depth in that you can put anything into the game as long as it has charm. Because it's a game that allows such freedom of expression, many different people are able to put forth their ideas, something I feel contributes to the richness of Skyward Sword. Players will be able to play intuitively through the rich content using the Wii Motion Plus, so I really want them to enjoy the game.

Iwata: Playing through a rich environment is always fun.

Ito: Yep. Also, if I might add one more thing, my favorite character is Fi.

Iwata: Fi is a character that navigates for Link on their adventures together, correct?

Ito: That's right. When you target things like characters and enemies, you can summon Fi and she'll tell you about them using a system called Ficaption. What she has to say is really interesting. *laughing*

EatChildren said:
I just want to say, people need to stop drawing parallels to other Zelda games if they really want to see the franchise evolve and offer something new. All I seem to hear is "Is the ground connected?", "What size is the sky world?" and "How many dungeons?". Elements of the franchise, but irrelevant unless explained in the context of the game it is.

Give than that Skyward Sword takes place in a setting new for the franchise, has a new overworld system, and is changing up the dungeon dynamics, they're all rather pointless and irrelevant questions. If Skyward Sword is different, then it will need to be judged by it's own standards. Maybe the sky world is small, but how much content is there? Maybe there aren't many dungeons, but how many intermission quests are there? So on, and so forth.

Trying to rate Skyward Sword up against the elements of all the previous games is, in my opinion, defeating the point of what people have been requesting all this time; something new and different.
I fully support the thoughts expressed in this post.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
i feel like there must be some weird japanese pun to "fi caption"

fi caption

fic aption

fic action

fan fic sex action

Ito is a fanfic author.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:
Some translated details from the Iwata Ask:

So now we know there's at least two bosses we'll fight multiple times throughout the game. We have Ghirahim and now the Imprisoned. I think it would be kind of cool if the Imprisoned is made up of all the evil guys from the intro (minus Ghirahim who somehow escaped.)

BY2K

Membero Americo
Kard8p3 said:
So now we know there's at least two bosses we'll fight multiple times throughout the game. We have Ghirahim and now the Imprisoned. I think it would be kind of cool if the Imprisoned is made up of all the evil guys from the intro (minus Ghirahim who somehow escaped.)

I think the Imprisoned is actually the "Master" Ghirahim is trying to revive. I just hope he doesn't turns out into another Ganon clone.

Red

BY2K said:
I think the Imprisoned is actually the "Master" Ghirahim is trying to revive. I just hope he doesn't turns out into another Ganon clone.
I'm thinking more of
Vaati
so far, not Ganon.

Or even the Nightmare from Link's Awakening.

Kard8p3

BY2K said:

oh I don't doubt that now. While I do hope he isn't a ganon clone it wont be that big of a deal to me if he is. As long as Ghirahim gets his due then I'm fine with whatever happens.

Top Bottom