• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BertramCooper said:
Maybe you can replay the game as Metroid.
Zelda_Metroid_by_Demonlemon.png

I knew DeviantArt wouldn't fail me...

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
i'm glad they're not, especially considering the danger of making the game into a collectathon. this way it's more of a reward for engaging and defeating bad guys.

except it is not rewarding when there is no difficulty to begin with.

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
so imagine how much worse it would be if it was a mandatory part of the game.

yes. it would be stupid if upgrades would be both mandatory but ultimately worthless.

From no hype upon reveal, to increased hype upon hearing of the possibility of changes in the formula, back to very little hype after realizing the changes will be quite minimal and superficial. :(

ah well, the game is already preordered.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nevermind, a PR mentions the Boss Challenge. So yeah, that is 100% in.

About the black thing.

You attack its thumbnails?

BurntPork

Banned
BY2K said:
Nevermind, a PR mentions the Boss Challenge. So yeah, that is 100% in.

About the black thing.

You attack its thumbnails?
Okay, I'll take back my previous comment. Instead, my faith will depend on whether or not there is a new game+.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AniHawk said:
that was revealed the same time the boss challenge mode was.

It wasn't, actually.

While the NoA's twitter mentions the Second Quest, the source NoA mentions (the Miyamoto Presentation at TGS) doesn't talk about it at all.

BY2K said:
Can't get this quote out of my head. This is clearly hinting at something after the end credits. NG+? Please God, please.
With the inclusion of Boss Rush mode perhaps there are other challenge modes, post game quests, or NG+.

Kard8p3

Jaded Alyx said:
Funny, I just spent the last 10 mins or so trying to figure out what he's up to these days.

I remember his firing from Joystiq as if it were yesterday.

I know after that he was on a show called epileptic gaming with DJWheat. I just remember his RE4Wii review where he bashed the wii controls and they talked about how it was worse than using the analog sticks. Eventually it ended and he did his own little podcast that never took off. I don't know what he does now though.

Red

I think it's much better than TP's take. Enemies look more menacing as well.

I never liked that Shadow Beast music. I get that it's supposed to be weird and alien, but it's just a bunch of noise.

watershed

Banned
Alright people, when more SS reviews start coming in, especially the lower score ones, please remain at least a little reasonable so I can get through the thread without feeling the humanity drain out of me. Reading the UC3 review thread is disconcerting to see people being so hostile and reactionary towards other people's opinions. I hope we don't become that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
artwalknoon said:
Alright people, when more SS reviews start coming in, especially the lower score ones, please remain at least a little reasonable so I can get through the thread without feeling the humanity drain out of me. Reading the UC3 review thread is disconcerting to see people being so hostile and reactionary towards other people's opinions. I hope we don't become that.

I have a feeling reviews are going to be all over the place - I don't really care if I sound like a dumbass or a jackass when I say this - but I honestly don't trust reviewers for Wii games, especially ones that have heavy motion control use. I find that a lot of the problems they have are non-issues for me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
artwalknoon said:

If they have good reasons to give it a lower score, I won't complain.

That being said, these reasons needs not to be wrong/false information. Like for example that one review that said the controls of RE4 Wii were worse than the GC version.

Vire

BY2K said:
If they have good reasons to give it a lower score, I won't complain.

That being said, these reasons needs not to be wrong/false information. Like for example that one review that said the controls of RE4 Wii were worse than the GC version.
Yo I hear that there's this thing called subjectivity.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Whatever the score or reviews are going to be like, I know that for me personally Skyward Sword will always be >>> than Uncharted 3 and that's enough.

:)

Vire said:
Yo I hear that there's this thing called subjectivity.
.. that doesn't apply to that instance, though?

I could go around saying that the Xbox360 controller is better at controlling Battlefield than the mouse and keyboard, but that would be objectively wrong.

I don't know, maybe he said the controls in RE4 Wii "felt" worse than the GCN ones, but to say they are worse objectively is wrong.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Why would you do that? said:
I really like that. For some reason, it reminds me of Twilight Princess's Shadow Encounter music, which I also really like.
I never felt the full effect of this playing it the first time through. My crt tv had problems playing stereo sound from my consoles so i never heard more than one sound channel at a time. I never bothered to change the system settings from their default stereo output either.

dwu8991

Banned
artwalknoon said:

The problem with Zelda is that people will find mole hills out of nothing just because they don't like that kind of gameplay.

Vire

timetokill said:

I could go around saying that the Xbox360 controller is better at controlling Battlefield than the mouse and keyboard, but that would be objectively wrong.

I don't know, maybe he said the controls in RE4 Wii "felt" worse than the GCN ones, but to say they are worse objectively is wrong.
It's hard to say without seeing the context of the review he's talking about. But I personally prefer analogs to mouse/keyboard.

There's nothing wrong with having the opinion that you like RE4 controls on Gamecube more. Thats subjective - not objective.

Vire said:
It's hard to say without seeing the context of the review he's talking about. But I personally prefer analogs to mouse/keyboard.

That's fine, and a reviewer stating preference is fine. I know I prefer analogs for many game types.

But the RE4 controls cannot be construed to be "worse" than the GCN ones on any objective measure, is my point. But yeah, we'd have to see the context.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
timetokill said:

I don't think it's objectively wrong for someone to say they feel dual analog is better at controlling Battlefield than a M/KB option. Everyone has different tastes, so the more options the better.

Plus, I think the average core gamer has been exposed to multiple options, so they're pretty much comfortable with them all and from there they can choose their preference.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Vire said:
I just did already above.

Deal with it.

Over mouse/keyboard, you said. I'm talking pointer, or lightgun-like, if you prefer. Like an arcade.

Probably the best thing to come out of the Wii.

Red

timetokill said:

I don't think any published critic, regardless of their skill as a writer, would ever claim that their opinions are objective fact.

Vire

BY2K said:
Over mouse/keyboard, you said. I'm talking pointer, or lightgun-like, if you prefer. Like an arcade.

Probably the best thing to come out of the Wii.
Yes that too. Aim or turning your view point is a major hassle with a pointer. It's much easier to do so with an analog. Doing a complete 360 is unnecessarily hard.

I didn't really like it in Prime 3.

artwalknoon said:
I hope you don't actually expect that to happen. People can't even reply to your extremely reasonable suggestion without, well, ya know, doing the exact opposite of what it says.

web01

Quick question have any of the reviews talked about the difficulty?

If it is going to be as easy as windwaker and twilight princess it is probably not worth my time.

Top Bottom