• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

AniHawk

BY2K said:
Seriously? Who?
honestgamers and thunderbolt.

also, thunderbolt appears not to exist anymore.

the lowest score for a zelda game is a 4/10 for the gba alttp. the lowest score for a non-remake is a 5/10 (from rpgamer) for oracle of ages.

AceBandage said:
Except... it does...

But will reviewers think and believe that? Regardless of that being supposed fact?
"Yea it changes it up but like at it's core it's still like zelda man, nintendo should have made a completely different game and just called it zelda, but man they aren't that innovative."

MechaX

DoomXploder7 said:
But will reviewers think and believe that? Regardless of that being supposed fact?

"Upgrade system, loot system, new villain, multiple expansive overworlds... but it has Link and Zelda this game is too much like previous zeldas it needs to be more like Bethesda titles with moral choice system and blood 7/10"

BY2K

Membero Americo
AniHawk said:

the lowest score for a zelda game is a 4/10 for the gba alttp. the lowest score for a non-remake is a 5/10 (from rpgamer) for oracle of ages.

Wat.

Are those user reviews?

watershed

Banned
I have a question about side quest stuff that was recently revealed so I'll spoiler tag it:
do we know anything more about what "gratitude points" work towards besides being referred to as part of a larger side quest? Sounds like rpg type side quests, I'm imagining lots of "collect X number of these, defeat X number of these, deliver this letter stuff, but to what end?

AniHawk

BY2K said:

Wat.

Are those user reviews?

nope. the oracle series is weird in that some people love one and hate the other. i personally loved ages and disliked seasons (i consider it one of the three bad zelda games), but this guy had the opposite opinion.

BurntPork

Banned
Billychu said:
"Traditional Zelda" is redefined every game by every reviewer
Yep. This time, the definition will simply be "you still go through dungeons with bosses so it's OoT all over again!"

Also, G4's 3/5 will be epic. Pure epic.

BY2K

Membero Americo
artwalknoon said:
I have a question about side quest stuff that was recently revealed so I'll spoiler tag it:
do we know anything more about what "gratitude points" work towards besides being referred to as part of a larger side quest? Sounds like rpg type side quests, I'm imagining lots of "collect X number of these, defeat X number of these, deliver this letter stuff, but to what end?

We don't know that yet.
I do know that one of the side quest is a rescue mission, though. A lady is asking you to search for her missing daughter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You know, I'm less worried about the difficulty, and more disappointed to hear none of the item upgrades are mandatory. I was hoping they'd be integrated into quests and what have you.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be more annoyed by the reviews that state something that's so obviously wrong rather than the numerical number.

I hate it when I see stuff like for the DKCR review on GameSpot that he described the shaking the Wii Remote as "flailing my arms around". Drives me nuts.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EatChildren said:
You know, I'm less worried about the difficulty, and more disappointed to hear none of the item upgrades are mandatory. I was hoping they'd be integrated into quests and what have you.

The EDGE quotes seems to imply there's a NG+, though.

AniHawk

EatChildren said:

i'm glad they're not, especially considering the danger of making the game into a collectathon. this way it's more of a reward for engaging and defeating bad guys.

Haziqonfire said:
I'm going to be more annoyed by the reviews that state something that's so obviously wrong rather than the numerical number.

I hate it when I see stuff like for the DKCR review on GameSpot that he described the shaking the Wii Remote as "flailing my arms around". Drives me nuts.

Or like how Fire Emblem should have used Miis...

Vire

Haziqonfire said:

I hated the Wii Remote controls in DKCR, it actually was a serious detriment to my enjoyment of the game. Shaking to roll just felt really imprecise for something as demanding as a platformer.

Vire

Nintendo-4Life said:
Have you played Arkham City before deciding it would before believing it would be a different experience from Arkham Asylum?
I don't think it's a significantly different game. In fact, it's quite similar.

That hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game immensely though.

watershed

Banned
BY2K said:
We don't know that yet.
I do know that one of the side quest is a rescue mission, though. A lady is asking you to search for her missing daughter.

Oh cool well at least that example is more involved than just collecting stuff. Hopefully there are more of those in the game.

Alrus

BurntPork said:
Yep. This time, the definition will simply be "you still go through dungeons with bosses so it's OoT all over again!"

Also, G4's 3/5 will be epic. Pure epic.

People still care about G4? I thought their reviews of recent Nintendo game showed people they're just catering to Nintendo-haters. That Mario Galaxy (1 or 2) review was just shameless.

bbdude said:
Would it be a bad thing if I went right from OoT to this (still haven't finished OoT, no spoilers please)?

Apart from the few direct sequels, there's little to no continuity between most Zelda games. Go for it.

If X-Play gives it a 4 out of 5, things will get very interesting in this thread.

That's the first time I've ever used "X-Play" and "interesting" in the same sentence.

bbdude said:
Would it be a bad thing if I went right from OoT to this (still haven't finished OoT, no spoilers please)?

I'd say go for it. It'll certainly not only make your experience playing SS much more unique, but will also give you a greater appreciation for OoT.

BurntPork

Banned
Alrus said:
People still care about G4? I thought their reviews of recent Nintendo game showed people they're just catering to Nintendo-haters. That Mario Galaxy (1 or 2) review was just shameless.
It doesn't matter if they care or not. It'll be more epic than all of TP's trailers combined.

Kard8p3

Alrus said:

Mario Galaxy 2 got a 5 out of 5. It's just Morgan Webb that bashed it.

AniHawk said:

They are thunderboltgames, now

I haven't been to honestgamers in years. They're probably paid off now

AniHawk said:
i think the main complaints will be that it doesn't stray too much from the traditional zelda formula, and that the motion controls aren't for everyone. also how much it would have benefited from next-gen hardware (which would be true).

also, on closer inspection, the lowest score given to a console zelda was a 7 out of 10 (tww), so it's kind of a high bar in terms of low opinions, but i think skyward sword will surprise people.
Some guy at Destructoid gave TP 4/10.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i am completely focused on surviving the next month to see this game released. i walked by a banana peel on the ground today and it felt ominous, like someone trying to keep me from achieving that goal.

beelzebozo said:
i am completely focused on surviving the next month to see this game released. i walked by a banana peel on the ground today and it felt ominous, like someone trying to keep me from achieving that goal.
Should have been watching for the red shell.

Electivirus said:
Apart from the few direct sequels, there's little to no continuity between most Zelda games. Go for it.

Wind Waker does the rare job of actually creating an alternate universe that takes place in the main continuity but doesn't at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
beelzebozo said:

It means you should play DKCR while you wait.

When it comes down to it, I think G4 is too chickenshit to give it less than a 5 out of 5.

For all the inane Mario bashing Morgan Webb has done, SMG 2 still got a perfect score.

They'll give it a 5 and then conveniently forget all of the stupid shit they said before its release.

BY2K

Membero Americo
EDGE on the Item Upgrade System said:
'Such avenues jar with an adventure balanced for the base items. Odds don't need swinging in Link's favour...that said, the idea gains traction once the end credits have rolled.'

Can't get this quote out of my head. This is clearly hinting at something after the end credits. NG+? Please God, please.

BY2K said:
Can't get this quote out of my head. This is clearly hinting at something after the end credits. NG+? Please God, please.
Maybe you can use your upgraded equipment in something like a "Cave of Ordeals" that unlocks?

@MUWANdo

Banned
EatChildren said:

One of my favourite things about Majora's Mask was being able to play and replay the dungeons with different items/masks, so if Skyward Sword provides me to take on the dungeons in any way I like and choose from a broad variety of tools I'll be very, very happy.

BY2K said:
The EDGE quotes seems to imply there's a NG+, though.

Didn't NOA outright say there was a second quest back a few months back?

ASIS

@MUWANdo said:
Didn't NOA outright say there was a second quest back a few months back?
They referenced a source that confirmed no such thing though.

Apparently a NG+ does exist from Edge's review.

Btw, about that, i'm not living in the UK but I want to read their full review, is there anyway I can do that?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Vire said:
I hated the Wii Remote controls in DKCR, it actually was a serious detriment to my enjoyment of the game. Shaking to roll just felt really imprecise for something as demanding as a platformer.

I felt the opposite, although they weren't the best option (an alternative should have been provided), I still felt that anytime I died was due to my own fault, not the fault of the game or it's controls.

Kard8p3 said:
I thought I'd seen the last of Robert Summa but here he is again.
Funny, I just spent the last 10 mins or so trying to figure out what he's up to these days.

I remember his firing from Joystiq as if it were yesterday.

Top Bottom