• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

AniHawk

jett said:
oh noes I have offended you

note that I didn't say all zelda fans are crazy. and sorry to say but nintendo fanboys really are the most rabid.

any company on the ropes suddenly becomes home to the most unstable ones. the late 90s it was the sega fanboys. 2001-2005 it was the nintendo fanboys. 2006-2009 it was the sony fanboys. now it's shifting back to the nintendo fanboys again. you can usually tell this is the case when each upcoming game is suddenly going to be the greatest thing ever, because it's that one thing that will validate their choice (regardless of the game's actual quality). see: shenmue, metroid prime, geist, twilight princess, super smash bros. brawl, lair, killzone 2, uncharted 3, skyward sword, etc.

Shepard

Vire said:
Yeah - no.

This is absolutely false. I bought three Wii games in the past two years and none had Motion Plus.

Mario Galaxy 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn

And Giant Bomb. Shady at best..
Can you give me one of your three Wiis? :p

This won't end well. I still remember the shitfest about Yahtzee's review of Brawl, in another forum. That was horrible, and hilarious.

8.8 was even worse.

ShockingAlberto said:
Got a death e-mail for....shit, I can't even remember the game.

OH

FUCKING SPY FICTION LIKE SIX YEARS AGO

When I was writing for Men.com

Man that was like the only review I wrote for that site and the guy (wouldn't surprise me if he posted here) said I unfairly compared it to Metal Gear Solid and I "wouldn't like it if someone stealth killed you."

Which, I mean...probably.
also i don't know if you meant askmen.com or if it used to be another site but i wouldn't put that url on your resume

Shepard

Sgt.Pepper said:
This won't end well. I still remember the shitfest about Yahtzee's review of Brawl, in another forum. That was horrible, and hilarious.

8.8 was even worse.
Does anyone have a link to the 8.8 thread? I never saw it :(

Sgt.Pepper said:

8.8 was even worse.

Yahtzee doesn't review games.
He shits on 90% of what's out there and begrudgingly accepts the other 10%.

Dabookerman said:
With that 10 the Wii has the most exclusive games given a 10 by Edge on any platform ever..

Funny how that works :\
Just like Famitsu.
EmCeeGramr said:
also i don't know if you meant askmen.com or if it used to be another site but i wouldn't put that url on your resume
:lol

Vire

Maleficence said:
Looking like this might be my first Zelda game. Gasp!

Does it require Motion+?
It has a bundle though you can get for $70.

Could be worse I guess...

My wallet is weeping.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I already own M+ but I pre-ordered the bundle.

The Golden Wii Remote Plus is too good to pass up, plus you're paying half the price you would normally pay for a Wii Remote Plus.

AniHawk

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I disagree, I think any company that set the standards of their craft becomes the home to the most passionate/ridiculous gamers/whiners.

it's a combination of both. usually when a company is doing poorly, the ridicule of said company is a reflection of their purchasing habits (so a ridicule on them), and the fact that so many have jumped ship already means the most fervent and least clear-minded are left to 'protect' it.

Azure J

MatthewB92 said:
That thread is so fun to browser lol.

I'm having so much fun with this, and honestly I'm looking forward to how crazy things will get regarding the SS score wars here on GAF. I already know I'm going to get my money's worth from Zelda, all this is bonus entertainment. :lol

sublimit

Banned
BurntPork said:
... Except every Wii made in the last 2 years comes with M+, and M+ costs $20 vs $120 for Move. Is gimping the entire game worth saving $20? It wouldn't even be Skyward Sword without it!

............... I mean that literally. Look at the new Iwata Asks.

The price is not the point.My Wii is older than 2 years so the fact here remains than in order to play SS i need to buy an extra hardware part.With the Uncharted example you provided i simply don't have to.It's just that i don't like companies to force me buying peripherals that i know i won't use ever again,especially near the end of a generation.This is only my opinion if you enjoy to spend extra money in order to play a game be my guest.But you don't have the right to call other people stupid just because they don't like these policies.

AniHawk said:
any company on the ropes suddenly becomes home to the most unstable ones. the late 90s it was the sega fanboys. 2001-2005 it was the nintendo fanboys. 2006-2009 it was the sony fanboys. now it's shifting back to the nintendo fanboys again. you can usually tell this is the case when each upcoming game is suddenly going to be the greatest thing ever, because it's that one thing that will validate their choice (regardless of the game's actual quality). see: shenmue, metroid prime, geist, twilight princess, super smash bros. brawl, lair, killzone 2, uncharted 3, skyward sword, etc.

You had me until the game list. Metroid Prime? That game was shit on until it released and turned out so well. Brawl? That was released at the top of the Wii wave. Uncharted 3? I would say 2...nothing wrong with being in the PS3 camp now. And Geist? It never had hype. Not even the craziest Nintendo fan got hyped for Geist.

sublimit said:
The price is not the point.My Wii is older than 2 years so the fact here remains than in order to play SS i need to buy an extra hardware part when with the Uncharted example you provided i simply don't have to.It's just that i don't like companies to force me buying peripherals that i know i won't use ever again,especially near the end of a generation.This is only my opinion if you enjoy to spend extra money in order to play a game be my guest.But you don't have the right to call other people stupid just because they don't like these policies.

But you have the right to call him a retard in return, gotcha.

AniHawk said:
it's a combination of both. usually when a company is doing poorly, the ridicule of said company is a reflection of their purchasing habits (so a ridicule on them), and the fact that so many have jumped ship already means the most fervent and least clear-minded are left to 'protect' it.

The most irrational are the people that have to rebuy the system because of the inevitable.

Unless they have a really tight budget and need the money to survive, this idea never makes sense on any level.

Vire

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I disagree, I think any company that set the standards of their craft becomes the home to the most passionate/ridiculous gamers/whiners.
Nope you're both wrong, games that are exclusive become home to the craziest.

Maleficence said:
I haven't followed the game much >.>

This is so annoying, if it wasn't for requiring M+ I would have bought it much sooner, I'll wait now.

Wait for...?
Nintendo games don't usually go down in price (especially a game like Zelda).

Maleficence said:
I haven't followed the game much >.>

This is so annoying, if it wasn't for requiring M+ I would have bought it much sooner, I'll wait now.
it took 5 years for Twilight Princess to go down in price, don't expect it to go down in price any time soon.

Vire

IceDoesntHelp said:
it took 5 years for Twilight Princess to go down in price, don't expect it to go down in price any faster.
Seriously, the resale value for Nintendo products are insanely high. I nearly got full asking price for DKCR when I traded it in.

Wait for when I have more time to play extra games, as this is now in my "extras" pile :p

Edit - I'm in the UK and I'm pretty sure the prices go down here much quicker than in the US.

AniHawk

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The most irrational are the people that have to rebuy the system because of the inevitable.

Unless they have a really tight budget and need the money to survive, this idea never makes sense on any level.

i sold my 360 this year. it was the first time i ever sold any console. i did it because it fucking broke and microsoft wanted $120 to fix it.

funny enough, i got $80 from gamestop for it, including the refurb fee, and with black friday deals around the corner, it was probably the cheaper choice overall.

Leondexter said:
You had me until the game list. Metroid Prime? That game was shit on until it released and turned out so well. Brawl? That was released at the top of the Wii wave. Uncharted 3? I would say 2...nothing wrong with being in the PS3 camp now. And Geist? It never had hype. Not even the craziest Nintendo fan got hyped for Geist.

i think there was some post-release bandwagoning going on with metroid prime, where you couldn't say anything negative about it without repercussions. i had only joined the site at the time of its release, so i don't remember too many conversations about it, but it was part of the mario, metroid, zelda combo on the gamecube and the best-reviewed one of the bunch.

geist was initially hyped early on as being a dark, mature shooter for the gamecube, a highlight in the otherwise disappointing e3 2003. by the time it released over two years later, no one gave a shit, but i do remember initial hype for the game and the concept.

i forgot my own rules regarding brawl and uncharted 3 i guess. uncharted 2 definitely (i still have the scratches and bruises to prove it).

I hope most of the Zelda fanbase is a little older and wiser since the whole 8.8 "scandal". They realize when someone says 8.8/10 they might not be too far off the mark or maybe the reviewer has reasonable arguments as to why it is an 8.8/10. I was definitely thrown aback at the time, thinking Twilight Princess was going to be an infallible masterpiece. Now I can see how someone else might give it an 8.8, even though in my book it probably is a 9.5.

Maleficence said:
Wait for when I have more time to play extra games, as this is now in my "extras" pile :p

Edit - I'm in the UK and I'm pretty sure the prices go down here much quicker than in the US.

It's released in the UK first before anywhere else, savour the few days where we have access to a Zelda game when the rest of the world don't. It's probably a once in a lifetime chance.

And besides, unless it's Other M Nintendo games take years to go down in price.

DMPrince said:
hope to see some fanfics here. i know zelda fans are similiar to sonic fans. i expect some true 18+ fanfics D:
I LOATHE being compared to Sonic fans. Maybe it's just because I'm a sane Zelda fan.
"This just in IGN gives a 7 to Skyward Sword"

WHAT THE FUCK IGN! HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US!
/joke

AniHawk

thestopsign said:
I hope most of the Zelda fanbase is a little older and wiser since the whole 8.8 "scandal". They realize when someone says 8.8/10 they might not be too far off the mark or maybe the reviewer has reasonable arguments as to why it is an 8.8/10. I was definitely thrown aback at the time, thinking Twilight Princess was going to be an infallible masterpiece. Now I can see how someone else might give it an 8.8, even though in my book it probably is a 9.5.

i thought it was funny that 8.8 was considered a really terrible score for the game from everyone. like, even the people who don't like twilight princess will say IT REALLY WAS AN 8.8! because that means twilight princess is only a REALLY GREAT game and not an EXCELLENT one.

Vire

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I really don't see this game getting a lot of 8 scores.

I told some dude it would get NONE but that is kind of unrealistic.
I could easily see it happening. Some outlets might knock it for muddy textures and being overly familiar. Or they don't like the Motion + integration.

AniHawk said:
i thought it was funny that 8.8 was considered a really terrible score for the game from everyone. like, even the people who don't like twilight princess will say IT REALLY WAS AN 8.8! because that means twilight princess is only a REALLY GREAT game and not an EXCELLENT one.

Just think if it was 8.9...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Green Scar said:
Have you seen Pokemon fans? It's like watching Numb3rs. No, you're both wrong, Sonic fans exist in a vacuum all by themselves.
You've got two varieties, the kids who were growing up around the Dreamcast era who draw creepy fan-art on Deviantart, and the Genesis purists who get their hopes up with each new game that promises a return to form, only to have them dashed when Sega still can't get the fucking physics right!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Green Scar said:
Have you seen Pokemon fans? It's like watching Numb3rs. No, you're both wrong, Sonic fans exist in a vacuum all by themselves.
pokemon fans are in the same neighborhood as that vacuum. or at least the same school district.

Top Bottom