• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyward Sword review thread [Newest Reviews - Cubed3 10/10, GC: A, AusGamers: 7/10]

BY2K

Membero Americo
Mr. B Natural said:
I hope you don't actually expect that to happen. People can't even reply to your extremely reasonable suggestion without, well, ya know, doing the exact opposite of what it says.

You mean me, aren't you? :(

I didn't mean it, I just HAD TO GIVE a bad example. :(

BY2K said:
Over mouse/keyboard, you said. I'm talking pointer, or lightgun-like, if you prefer. Like an arcade.

Probably the best thing to come out of the Wii.

It's weird, I had someone tell me they didn't prefer RE4 on Wii just the other day. I, on the other hand, thought it was far superior, but oh well...

emb

web01 said:
Quick question have any of the reviews talked about the difficulty?

If it is going to be as easy as windwaker and twilight princess it is probably not worth my time.

One of the reviews (ONM) addressed this question directly. They said it wasn't especially easy or hard. But then go on to say easier than TP and OoT...?

web01 said:
Quick question have any of the reviews talked about the difficulty?

If it is going to be as easy as windwaker and twilight princess it is probably not worth my time.

Don't worry, my uncle confirmed that this is the hardest Zelda game ever made. You have to hook yourself up to a life support machine to even play it, and if Link dies, the life support machine shuts off and you die too.

Now that's hardcore.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vire said:
Yo I hear that there's this thing called subjectivity.

RE4Wii also included GC and CC support... but both of them were objectively inferior to the IR aiming. :p

Red

Mr. Saturn said:
Don't worry, my uncle confirmed that this is the hardest Zelda game ever made. You have to hook yourself up to a life support machine to even play it, and if Link dies, the life support machine shuts off and you die too.

Now that's hardcore.
Worth it.

watershed

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
I hope you don't actually expect that to happen. People can't even reply to your extremely reasonable suggestion without, well, ya know, doing the exact opposite of what it says.
In general I have no problem with people posting their feelings unfiltered, but I hope people will exercise a bare minimum amount of reason. A lot of the angry reactions make me laugh, but then you have stuff like "F@$ the reviewer he's a #$@@ anyways" or people start attacking other posters, and it just gets so juvenile and ugly that its not even possible to post in those threads with hope for a worthwhile response.

guek

Banned
the thing is, preferring one input does not necessarily make the other option bad. Saying you prefer GC RE4 controls is one thing, it's something else entirely if you claim RE4 wii controls are objectively poor.

web01

emb said:
One of the reviews (ONM) addressed this question directly. They said it wasn't especially easy or hard. But then go on to say easier than TP and OoT...?

Blah was hoping with the wii guide stuff they could make it a harder, atleast on par with ocarina / majoras mask.

It is dissapointing that reviews do not seem to take difficulty level / challenge and learning curve into count these days, they are an essential part of good game design.

Mario Galaxy, DKC, and New Super Mario Bros did this good so was hoping Nintendo would do the same with this game.

dwu8991 said:
The problem with Zelda is that people will find mole hills out of nothing just because they don't like that kind of gameplay.
While I agree with this. It's also what people look for in a game. For example some Zelda fans main concern are sidequests, characters and atmosphere while others love Zelda for the dungeons. So when some areas are lacking, I can see why some zelda fans are dissapointed. However, it gets annoying when the hyperbole is laid on so thick that it has to either be "best game evar!!!!" or "Worst Zelda ever!!!!".

Also as with reviews and everything fans sit there and attack the reviewer or publication when the score isn't high enough before they even get to play the game. Then when the game comes out other fans complain that the review scores are too high and this game is so dissapointing.

Beth Cyra

web01 said:
Blah was hoping with the wii guide stuff they could make it a harder, atleast on par with ocarina / majoras mask.

It is dissapointing that reviews do not seem to take difficulty level / challenge and learning curve into count these days, they are an essential part of good game design.

Mario Galaxy, DKC, and New Super Mario Bros did this good so was hoping Nintendo would do the same with this game.
The majority of people also pointed out that the vast majority of Galaxy 1 and 2 were extremely easy and it was only at the very end that it picked up at all.

So it's not like even if it had a curve similar to those that it would have been any more diffcult then Twilight Princess or Wind Waker.

BurntPork

Banned
TruePrime said:
The majority of people also pointed out that the vast majority of Galaxy 1 and 2 were extremely easy and it was only at the very end that it picked up at all.

So it's not like even if it had a curve similar to those that it would have been any more diffcult then Twilight Princess or Wind Waker.
Hell, there are people that found NSMBWii incredibly easy!

TruePrime said:

I found a lot of the stages pretty decently challenging with the last few galaxies having those...few stages I had to redo TONS of times.

web01 said:

I recently replayed Twilight Princess and I'm almost finished Ocarina of Time 3DS and I find them pretty similar in regards to difficulty, OoT being slightly easier. I found TP's endgame relatively challenging. I think nostalgia coupled with getting better at gaming in general over the years is colouring people's opinions.

Edit: Specifically I thought the Darknuts at the end of TP were a nice challenge. Also does anyone know why they are called Darknuts?

Beth Cyra

Zoramon089 said:
I found a lot of the stages pretty decently challenging with the last few galaxies having those...few stages I had to redo TONS of times.
Really? I could probably count the number of stages that provided challenge on at most 2 hands for both games.

However, my point was alot of people did call them on being easy, and while I'm sure some people would disagree, I'm also sure that more then a few people would agree that TP and WW were more challenging then a slicing a birthday cake as well.

web01 said:

Difficulty and what others perceive as difficult are objective though. People are good and bad at different things. People on these forums sit here and complain about how easy SMG is. However, I know plenty of people who struggled through a lot of it. I've got one friend that can breeze through RPGs, FPSs, and sports games and are very good at it. However, the second the game introduces puzzles even what I perceive as basic ones in Zelda or Batman they are completely stumped and it takes them an hour or more to figure it out.

I personally don't have issues with Adventure, Action, FPS, TPS, 3D platformers, and puzzle games but put me in front of 2D platformers and I'm not that good. DKCR was quite challenging to me and I struggled a couple times at NSMB Wii which was perceived as easy(don't even get me started on Super Meat Boy).

BY2K

Membero Americo
AzureRonin said:
I think nostalgia coupled with getting better at gaming in general over the years is colouring people's opinions.

Mine's pink with green spots.

Wait, no. That's something else kicking in...

AzureRonin said:
I recently replayed Twilight Princess and I'm almost finished Ocarina of Time 3DS and I find them pretty similar in regards to difficulty, OoT being slightly easier. I found TP's endgame relatively challenging. I think nostalgia coupled with getting better at gaming in general over the years is colouring people's opinions.

Edit: Specifically I thought the Darknuts at the end of TP were a nice challenge. Also does anyone know why they are called Darknuts?
Same here. I never found the 3D Zeldas to be that challenging but I never understood what gave people's impressions that TP was so much easier than OoT. Other than the occasional wonky damage counter in TP, I thought they were roughly on par with TP maybe edging out.

Difficulty wise(3d Zelda):
MM>>>>TP=OoT>>>TWW

Lord_Byron28 said:
Same here. I never found the 3D Zeldas to be that challenging but I never understood what gave people's impressions that TP was so much easier than OoT. Other than the occasional wonky damage counter in TP, I thought they were roughly on par with TP maybe edging out.

Difficulty wise(3d Zelda):
MM>>>>TP=OoT>>>TWW

Now that I think about it, Zelda really isn't a series that emphasizes difficulty. Maybe the original and definitely Zelda II but I think that is a result of more primitive gameplay concepts.

Red

AzureRonin said:
Now that I think about it, Zelda really isn't a series that emphasizes difficulty. Maybe the original and definitely Zelda II but I think that is a result of more primitive gameplay concepts.
Easy combat wouldn't be so bad if the puzzles were a bit tougher. I'm glad to hear SS eschews series staples like "light the torches," hopefully the fresher puzzles will take a bit longer to crack.

AzureRonin said:
Well incorporating other Zelda games.

Zelda 2>>>Zelda>>>Oracles>>>ALttP>LA>>>MM>>>>TP=OoT>>ST>TWW>>>PH

I'd say everything from ALttP and up were somewhat challenging to the top two being difficult. However, as you said I think a lot more has been chalked up to the fact the gameplay is just a lot more primitive in those games. I don't mind difficulty that much unless it is a cakewalk or nearly impossible to drudge through since I mainly play Zelda just for the pure unabashed fun of it. I don't mind that much that TWW and TP were easier I enjoyed the more complex sword moves/variety than all the other titles offered.

BurntPork

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Well incorporating other Zelda games.

Zelda 2>>>Zelda>>>Oracles>>>ALttP>LA>>>MM>>>>TP=OoT>>ST>TWW>>>PH

I'd say everything from ALttP and up were somewhat challenging to the top two being difficult. However, as you said I think a lot more has been chalked up to the fact the gameplay is just a lot more primitive in those games. I don't mind difficulty that much unless it is a cakewalk or nearly impossible to drudge through since I mainly play Zelda just for the pure unabashed fun of it. I don't mind that much that TWW and TP were easier I enjoyed the more complex sword moves/variety than all the other titles offered.
No Minish Cap love? :(

Thunder Monkey said:
That trailer was more awesome than you can even dream.
GfrGr.gif

Kard8p3

Lord_Byron28 said:
I've never got the chance to play it. For some reason I skipped out on it. I never know why though. I'm hoping it's in Nintendo's free GBA giveaway games.

The second half of the game is perhaps the greatest 2D Zelda ever. The first half is still good too it just gets so much better later on. You really should give it a try.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Fight on a bridge, some of the most impressive particle effects I've ever seen in a Wii game, and some of the smoothest looking character models Nintendo has ever made.

And all you have to do is watch a trailer.

shadyspace said:
I'm having no problem dealing with the wait. In fact, I'm almost stressed with how fast it's approaching.
I am having a problem though. I don't have anything to play while I wait.
1. I don't own any HD systems
2. All the money I currently have is on SS.

Thunder Monkey said:
Fight on a bridge, some of the most impressive particle effects I've ever seen in a Wii game, and some of the smoothest looking character models Nintendo has ever made.

And all you have to do is watch a trailer.
No...no I must resist.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The difficulties of Zelda games never really bothered me. Like Twilight Princess, for example; very easy overall but for me personally its 'easiness' was one of its charm--playing it felt like a relaxing, leisure trip where I know I wouldn't be frustrated by one-hit boss kill like in games such as Demon's Souls.

jackdoe

IceDoesntHelp said:
I am having a problem though. I don't have anything to play while I wait.
1. I don't own any HD systems
2. All the money I currently have is on SS.
Sucks to be you. I have Uncharted 3 and Arkham City to play through before Skyward Sword hits!

But seriously, watch the trailer.

Red

Laughing Banana said:
The difficulties of Zelda games never really bothered me. Like Twilight Princess, for example; very easy overall but for me personally its 'easiness' was one of its charm--playing it felt like a relaxing, leisure trip where I know I wouldn't be frustrated by one-hit boss kill like in games such as Demon's Souls.
Twilight Princess didn't bother me outside of the pitifully easy boss fights. They looked incredible, as spectacle they are the best the series has seen. But they were all so simple.

at least we haven't had the equivalent of that joystiq article

like, the one for twilight princess before release

when the dude was like, "i can't read the signs in this game by walking up to them and looking, like Oblivion, the resolution is too blurry to make out the words!!" and then people posted screenshots showing that the signs were legible just in a fake fantasy alphabet that he apparently thought was blurry english so then he made a whole new article devoted to saying "people in our comments posting high-res press images are dumb!!!"

EmCeeGramr said:

when the dude was like, "i can't read the signs in this game by walking up to them and looking, like Oblivion, the resolution is too blurry to make out the words!!" and then people posted screenshots showing that the signs were legible just in a fake fantasy alphabet that he apparently thought was blurry english so then he made a whole new article devoted to saying "people in our comments posting high-res press images are dumb!!!"
Is it still up? I'd love, LOVE, to read this.

EmCeeGramr said:

Vladimir Cole. I wrote so many troll pieces about that idiot.

IceDoesntHelp said:
But seriously, no.

:lol
I don't drink. So I guess I'll just go into hibernation, and join my frog friends.
Quagsire is a giant salamander. Frogs don't like your kind. (You eat them.)

I'm on to you!

Why don't we have any thoughts on the dungeons? Did the Edge review not talk once about probably the most important part of the game?

And I dont mean about how we can go back in them to see new stuff, thats nice but I want to know how these dungeons stack up against the rest. It has a lot to live up to to match TPs bunch.

Top Bottom