• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smartphones and the "de-evolution" of a gamer.

Razzorn34

Choosing to play 1 game over another is not a matter of laziness. It's a matter of want. I wanted to play Terra Battle when I got home from work yesterday and chill out in my apartment. I didn't want to boot up my PS4 and start my copy of The Last of Us that i've had sitting on my HDD for over 2 weeks. What's sad is your judgement.

You absolutely just made my point.

Opiate

The point of the OP is he (the friend) is admitting he is not getting enjoyment out of it (he said he wouldn't even think of getting a game like that on a console) and is instead doing the behavior (pulling out his phone and playing these games) compulsively. This is not a "oh he just likes it more even if he doesn't realize it" this is a symptom of operant conditioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning#Operant_hoarding

In operant conditioning you do things well past the point of pleasure and continue them even when you are not enjoying it. Mobile games like the OP is referring to are specifically designed like this to dig in the hooks and keep you playing. This is what the op is considering "bad" mobile games (he wholeheartedly admits there are plenty of good games that are well suited to mobile play he's exclusively referring to games like endless runners and candy crush knockoffs). The behavior is similar to gambling addictions but not quite as extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c

Thank you for this: I see I misunderstood the topic at hand. This is a good summary and is appreciated.

bart64

Banned
It's habit. You're playing the game on your breaks all day, so you're committed to it and want to play it at home as well.

Also, I think there's a physical addiction to the type of light the ipad screens emit. It's been shown to disturb sleep because it mimics daylight--I do feel strangely drawn to it.

In any case, it's sad that these slot-machine type games are stealing market share from consoles, but at least gaming is gaining mainstream acceptance. Maybe these casuals will end up becoming curious about what else is out there.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
While I don't play my phone games much at home, I do play them at work, and while out. I'm pretty picky with what I choose to play though, so the ones I do play usually tie in with my interests. My phone has killed my Vita and 3DS. Even though those platforms feature better games I no longer desire bringing a seperate device with me just for gaming, because what I play on my phone is good enough. Plus I can hop right out and check GAF, Facebook, etc, as I don't always feel like playing a game. It's also a much more social experience on a phone for me, because some of the games I'm playing, are against my family members and friends, who wouldn't even look at a dedicated gaming handheld.

My youngest (now 6) used to play his iPad quite often, and other than the lego games, i did not even understand what he was even playing. But last year I bought a Wii U and I'm happy to say that he is much more into that. Hell, he now would rather sit and watch me play than play his iPad. Also happy he know the Nintendo character line-up now (Captain Falcon is his favorite).
Don't get me wrong, he still likes his iPad, but will toss that and jump at the opportunity to play Lego City Undercover.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why can't we just play what we enjoy?
Generally due to the stupid narratives that have popped up.

"Console gaming is dead! Long live the iPhone!"

"Countdown to the death of traditional gaming!!!!"

Stuff like that which doesn't actually make any damn sense if you think about it at all tends to make people view new platforms as a threat.

Kenai

Generally due to the stupid narratives that have popped up.

"Console gaming is dead! Long live the iPhone!"

"Countdown to the death of traditional gaming!!!!"

Stuff like that which doesn't actually make any damn sense if you think about it at all tends to make people view new platforms as a threat.

While this is absolutely true sometimes and super annoying when it does happen, it's also important to realize that it doesn't happen that often.

I am primarily a handheld/PC gamer and PC gamers at least have had to deal with it for a lot longer than mobile gaming's been around. I actually think the comparison of seeing PC lose marketshare to consoles is similar to how consoles are losing marketshare to mobile now is fairly apt.

The market will almost undeniably continue to shift, but just roll your eyes, laugh, and move on at the people that infer that a market shift means that it will be gone entirely. It might become niche and have less blockbusters, but there's clearly money to be made and a lot of indies to fill in the slack if some of the bigger companies want to go elsewhere.

Razzorn34

Your point is that my choice to not play The Last of Us instead is out of laziness, is it not? Are you ready to claim my example is me being lazy?

Are you going to sit here and tell me that somehow, Terra Battle is a better game than The Last of Us? You bought it, you say you have intended to play it for 2 weeks. Yet you are fine playing a mobile game when you get home from work, and not touching it. If you want to clue us in why that is, I'm all ears.

What I'm seeing from your post was: When you got home, you wanted to chill and play Terra Battle. Knowing full well you have a much better gaming experience waiting for you on your console. Yet, you would rather settle for a mobile game since it's easy access, and you just wanted to chill.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much from how it's worded. But, that's how I'm seeing it.

Are you going to sit here and tell me that somehow, Terra Battle is a better game than The Last of Us? You bought it, you say you have intended to play it for 2 weeks. Yet you are fine playing a mobile game when you get home from work, and not touching it. If you want to clue us in why that is, I'm all ears.

What I'm seeing from your post was: When you got home, you wanted to chill and play Terra Battle. Knowing full well you have a much better gaming experience waiting for you on your console. Yet, you would rather settle for a mobile game since it's easy access, and you just wanted to chill.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much from how it's worded. But, that's how I'm seeing it.
You know, it's not always about choosing the "better game". Perhaps it's wanting to play a particular kind of game (i.e. tactical strategy compared to gritty survival action)

I got GTA V and Dark Souls to finish, but I'd much rather play 80 Days. Mainly because it presents a kind of different, engrossing world that those games don't, that I enjoy exploring and experiencing

And who are you to define what is and isn't a better experience? No doubt that TLOU is one of the best games I've ever played, but a game like Terra Battle can excel in other aspects.

Or maybe he just finds terra battle more relaxing?

If I just wanted to chill the last of us would be one of the last games I'd do it with.

Aaron D.

I'd argue that it could be a right time/right place proposition. In such cases data points (review scores, fan reception) fly right out the window. This is why suggesting TLoU is a much better gaming experience than Terra Battle is a dubious suggestion.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for NOVA or Masterpiece Theater on PBS. Other times I enjoy relaxing with MST3K or The Andy Griffith Show. Neither is inherently better than the other, outside of which one will most appropriately meet my entertainment needs at any given moment.

Heck, that's not even taking into account personal taste. Foisting your opinion that passing on a console game in favor of mobile is "settling" is rather telling. Speaking tangentially, you know what I'd rather play than TLoU? Farming Simulator. I don't need or expect you to understand how or why. It just is what it is. That's how an innocuous thing like personal taste works.

Razzorn34

I suppose it's just hard for me to swallow. Sure, I play Terra Battle. Yeah, it's easily one of my favorites, rivaling Hero Academy. I'm a big fan of strategy as well.

But, when I get home, the phone games never get touched. Even if I'm just chilling, I can't imagine doing that with a phone game with all of the other stuff I have to play.

For me, smartphone games are able to deliver on niche genres that either aren't well presented or dying in the US console/PC market. These includes innovative Quiz games (QMAmobile, quizrpg), arcade-management games (game dev story), touch/click adventure (the Room) or text adventures (80 days.)

It's a bit unfair to think all of us are just playing candy crush or something.
I'm just tired of my "FPS" backlog.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The iOS version of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is basically a 1:1 port from the original, the touch controls are even really solid and it looks prettier.

I recently snagged it since I really wanted monster hunter with me at all times (don't like to carry my 3DS around), and in one day alone I've already found myself playing it during down time like 5 times.

The MH formula works great on a portable, do one quest, save the game and turn it off. Hell if you lock the phone is auto pauses your progress too.

Earlier today I was hunting a Giadrome and got called into a meeting so I locked my game and when I had some down time during lunch I quickly killed it off.

Mobile games have a shit reputation but if you know what you want out of them you can find something nice to just have with you at all times, because it is far more likely you'll have your phone on you than you'll have your 3DS on you.

Aaron D.

Even if I'm just chilling, I can't imagine doing that with a phone game with all of the other stuff I have to play.

It's cool.

I think the important take away is the proverb, there's no accounting for taste from the Latin, De gustibus non est disputandum "In matters of taste, there can be no disputes" (literally "about tastes, it must not be disputed/discussed").

Take your quote about, "I can't imagine doing that with a phone game with all of the other stuff I have to play." and flip it using my example. I.E., I personally can't imagine wanting to play TLoU more than Farming Simulator. Sounds ridiculous, right? Here's the rub...strap me to a lie detector and that statement would be 100% true.

I dont really know anyone who plays any games on their phones. Not people at work, not friends, not family.

I have one friend who plays a lot of console games at work, and one family member who plays lots of crusader kings, total war, and wow.

I just don't see smartphone games as a huge thing among my circle of people.

Some family members kids play little educational games with cartoon characters, the kind of stuff that used to be flash games on Nickelodeon or Disneys website. Is that the kind of big smartphone revolution?

I dont really know anyone who plays any games on their phones. Not people at work, not friends, not family.

I have one friend who plays a lot of console games at work, and one family member who plays lots of crusader kings, total war, and wow.

I just don't see smartphone games as a huge thing among my circle of people.

Some family members kids play little educational games with cartoon characters, the kind of stuff that used to be flash games on Nickelodeon or Disneys website. Is that the kind of big smartphone revolution?
Check out this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921676

Also Times called 80 Days their game of the year and Hideo Kojima said Framed was his game of the year. Both are mobile games

I suppose it's just hard for me to swallow. Sure, I play Terra Battle. Yeah, it's easily one of my favorites, rivaling Hero Academy. I'm a big fan of strategy as well.

But, when I get home, the phone games never get touched. Even if I'm just chilling, I can't imagine doing that with a phone game with all of the other stuff I have to play.

My biggest reason I don't play them is that I have almost no actual downtime to fool around with my phone. Even on breaks I'd rather read GAF for 5 minutes or watch a YouTube video. There are a million things I can do with a 4g connection and the browser, who needs crappy touch based beg you for microtransaction games?

My biggest reason I don't play them is that I have almost no actual downtime to fool around with my phone. Even on breaks I'd rather read GAF for 5 minutes or watch a YouTube video. There are a million things I can do with a 4g connection and the browser, who needs crappy touch based beg you for microtransaction games?
Or perhaps one could play the games that aren't like that? I've played more than enough mobile games that could easily be on PSN, XBLA, Wii U in terms of polish and quality. Check out my above post

tbm24

The issue you have is with the bolded I suspect. I am going to sit here and tell you that I enjoy playing Terra Battle. I find it a fun game to play and it's also engaging. At no point am I equating it's worth and value to that of The Last of Us. My point for bringing up the fact that I have The Last of Us sitting on my hdd is that is that I haven't had a desire to boot it up and start playing yet. I bought it because I plan on playing it. It doesn't have to be immediate, it'll happen when I want to. Last night I did not want to. That is the sole factor for me choosing to instead sit for a bit and play some Terra Battle. I play games to relax and chill, it can be a phone game it can be raiding in WoW or Destiny like I did later that same night or after that when I decided to play 3rd Strike with my friend. I did all those things and yet didn't boot up The Last of Us which I bet many would wager is a much better experience than all of those combined. It's not a matter of being lazy, it's a matter of playing what I want to play when I want to play it.

Roto13

That's dumb. Final Fantasy VI is the greatest game ever made but I don't play it every day forever.

The reason mobile games are popular is similar to the reason many Gaffers talk about how they browse and discuss more than they play: Because it's not involved. It doesn't require tremendous effort. So honestly, the way I see it, the people who have 3+ posts a day are in the same boat as the people they condem. To a lot of people, and clearly even to yourselves, games do not have to be hyper-involved and demanding all the time to be enjoyed.

The reason mobile games are popular is similar to the reason many Gaffers talk about how they browse and discuss more than they play: Because it's not involved. It doesn't require tremendous effort. So honestly, the way I see it, the people who have 3+ posts a day are in the same boat as the people they condem. To a lot of people, and clearly even to yourselves, games do not have to be hyper-involved and demanding all the time to be enjoyed.
Not if you're playing SpaceChem or XCOM on your iPad. Not every mobile game is a simple timewaster

I would say this to all the people in this thread who have the same general sentiment as the OP:

You guys are going through what PC gamers went through when the industry decided that consoles were going to become the lead platform for major FPS'.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The barrier of entry into playing games regardless of quality on your mobile phone is way lower than any other handheld or console or PC. That's pretty much the underlying reason I think.

Maybe you should nudge your friends towards more quality games?

There are plenty of amazing games on the AppStore that don't have dumbed now gameplay and Pay2Win rubbish baked in?

As for the friend playing that crappy racing game, highly recommend Repulze. It's like WipeOut iOS!

:)

Top Bottom