• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
A good update I guess but yeah... out of all the amazing things in Metroid Prime.... This is what you decided to use as a level? Really?

Akai

ant1532 said:
A good update I guess but yeah... out of all the amazing things in Metroid Prime.... This is what you decided to use as a level? Really?
I dunno, Samus' first boss battle in 3D was, and still is, a pretty memorable moment for me...

ant1532

Banned
Akai said:
I dunno, Samus' first boss battle in 3D was, and still is, a pretty memorable moment for me...
Same here but to me it's not about the moment I had at the place that matters. It's about the environment. Space Frigate's design is nothing special especially when compared to other places in Prime

M3wThr33

Banned
Uhm, I just had a little gift fall into my lap. I got a bunch of the Smashing Live! CDs that I don't honestly need. (They were the January 2003 Nintendo Power Subscriber Bonus disc)
It's a CD of the SSBM music, orchestrated.

So, uhm, if you want one (I have 8), PM me and I guess I can try to send it out. It'll probably cost a few bucks to ship, so say $5 on PayPal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashing...Live!

KevinCow

Banned
Akai said:
You know, whenever I think about the Frigate Orpheon part of Metroid Prime, I always subconsciously consider it, like, not really a part of the main game, if that makes any sense. So I was a bit surprised to see them choose that area to represent Metroid Prime, over Phendrana or Chozo Ruins or Tallon Overworld. But now that you mention it, you know, it still gives me shivers down my spine whenever I play that area, same as it did when I played it for the first time in a store demo years ago. So yeah, now that I think about it, I think it's a perfectly fine choice to represent Metroid Prime.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CreatureX3 said:
He also didn't go into any other levels in Mario Sunshine. :lol

You know you want a level based on Sunshine's secret levels with a Poke Floatsesque progression

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
You know you want a level based on Sunshine's secret levels with a Poke Floatsesque progression
Well, I certainly know it now. :eek: I hope they put in that crazy rotating 3D cube--even if it was just in the background, since trying to demonstrate that mechanic in a 2D game would probably be pretty hard.

PkunkFury

TreIII said:
Frankly, I'm still hoping that they allowed the guys behind God Hand & Killer 7 to really cut loose with some good beats. I loved those games, and it really made my heart skip a beat when they were announced as part of the musician roster of this game.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music02.html

Takada did the Yoshi ending song (of all things o_O), which is still my favorite song they've revealed

and the beats are awesome

KevinCow

Banned
I think the weirdest thing is the Bridge of Eldin. Why that and not anywhere else? It's a pretty insignificant landmark.

Great scenery though. The stage looks absolutely beautiful.

Fireblend

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Uhm, I just had a little gift fall into my lap. I got a bunch of the Smashing Live! CDs that I don't honestly need. (They were the January 2003 Nintendo Power Subscriber Bonus disc)
It's a CD of the SSBM music, orchestrated.

So, uhm, if you want one (I have 8), PM me and I guess I can try to send it out. It'll probably cost a few bucks to ship, so say $5 on PayPal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashing...Live!

Holy shit, I'd love that, but I can't have a Paypal account since I'm in Costa Rica D:

Edit: Has Yasunori Mitsuda done anything yet? I don't recall him being mentioned, and I'd expect awesome tunes from him.

m00

GaimeGuy said:
Urgh, why does part of the Mother 3 track sound so god damn familiar to me? The 7 note trumpet jingle that plays throughout the song, including slowly at the end... it sounds sooo familiar, but i can't place it
Are you thinking of Frère Jacques?

Jiggy

Predicting newcomer Lloyd and a Colette assist trophy in honor of the awesome Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk scans that showed up tonight in the Famitsu thread, with playable Colette and all.

Well, no, actually I'm not predicting that, because I'm playing to win here. >_> (Let's just ignore that I only ever predicted correctly twice--once for Zero Suit Samus' moves and the other time for Mother music.) Let's say... Zelda's final smash and Race to the Finish.

Edit: I do think that Lloyd would be Namco's first choice for Brawl if they had any characters getting in to begin with--but I doubt they will. (And whatever the case, it wouldn't be revealed tonight. :p)

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
Edit: I do think that Lloyd would be Namco's first choice for Brawl if they had any characters getting in to begin with--but I doubt they will. (And whatever the case, it wouldn't be revealed tonight. :p)

Lloyd? Over the likes of more iconic characters like Pac-Man? I wouldn't think so. Pac-man DID get into that arcade Mario Kart, after all...

Pkunk Fury said:
Takada did the Yoshi ending song (of all things o_O), which is still my favorite song they've revealed

and the beats are awesome

Indeed. But again, I'm waiting to hear more. 52 seconds is not NEARLY enough to convey all of his awesome. :D

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Lloyd? Over the likes of more iconic characters like Pac-Man? I wouldn't think so. Pac-man DID get into that arcade Mario Kart, after all...
I would expect Pac-Man as more of an assist trophy. Or maybe it's just my hope speaking on the Pac-Man front--I really, really wouldn't want him playable in Brawl. :/

Jiggy

I don't like Lloyd much either--one of my least favorite characters from ToS--but I'd still expect him. Put him up on the anathema chararacters list for you, though.

This reminds me: one of these days I really need to get around to looking up what "anathema" actually means. I just know contextually that it's something bad. >_> Edit: Oh, I like this.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I don't like Lloyd much either--one of my least favorite characters from ToS--but I'd still expect him. Put him up on the anathema chararacters list for you, though.

This reminds me: one of these days I really need to get around to looking up what anathema actually means. I just know contextually that it's something bad. >_>
Main Entry:
anath·e·ma Listen to the pronunciation of anathema

1 a: one that is cursed by ecclesiastical authority b: someone or something intensely disliked or loathed —usually used as a predicate nominative
I'm pretty sure Lloyd is a little girl. That's why he needs two swords to compensate. That bitch.

Zeed

Banned
KittenMaster said:
Actually, Lloyd got the two swords idea from playing too many MMOs and failing at school.
If my world were on the verge of destruction and Lloyd were the only one able to save it, I think I'd prefer destruction. What a shitty hero. Who'd want to get saved by Lloyd, seriously.

TreIII

Jiggy37 said:
I would expect Pac-Man as more of an assist trophy. Or maybe it's just my hope speaking on the Pac-Man front--I really, really wouldn't want him playable in Brawl. :/

I could care less about Pacs, myself, either, but if Namco did get representation, I would prefer Pac-man over Lloyd, or most Tales characters outside of Cless and/or Arche.

Part of me REALLY wishes that Konami was allowed to double dip. Then I could get Simon Belmont for sure! :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Zeed said:
If my world were on the verge of destruction and Lloyd were the only one able to save it, I think I'd prefer destruction. What a shitty hero. Who'd want to get saved by Lloyd, seriously.
whoa with the Lloyd hate. i never really liked his character either,
what a fucking pansy emo hack-job he was
but as a fighter, he would kick a general amount of ass. sure he was a pussy, but he was a pussy that made up for his shitty character with some awesomely fun combat.

Hcoregamer00 said:

3D_KOS-MOS-Ver.4-Small.png

Jiggy

TreIII said:
Speaking of Arche's fantastic character, the only thing I hate about RPGs is that the main heroes, AKA the ones most likely to ever show up in another game, are almost always sword wielders and are never ever as awesome as their supporting cast. :/

Relating this to Brawl, there's so much to draw from RPG-wise, not just from Tales (least of all Tales, probably) but also in terms of Square-Enix--and there already were for the likes of Fire Emblem--but at every turn of character selection they'd be met with another sword wielder hero and by now I just don't want them anymore. Give me Dragon Quest mages, Black Mage, White Mage, Hector, or anybody else who probably has zero chance.

Game-Biz said:
Tonight's Update?

Jigglypuff!

Believe.
I'm hoping for Jigglypuff on Christmas, as it went with the Melee site so many years ago. :D Ah, that 12/25 date. So soothing.

Meh, I think it's a moot point to discuss the possibility of Namco jumping in at all. I just don't think they'll jump in at all.

Most of their current iconic games as of late got their start on the Playstation brand, Tekken, the Soul series, Ace Combat, many of the Tales games

Not really that many character that are iconic and have appeared in a major game for a Nintendo console, in my opinion, or least ones that would work.

Besides, methinks Capcom and Square would be bigger wins for Nintendo to have characters in Brawl.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Speaking of Arche's fantastic character
+1 for Arche
Cress playable, Arche assist trophy
It'll never happen because of shitty Lloyd, but we can dream

topart13.jpg

Special ability - get drunk and go on a long sexual rant.

Golden Darkness said:
Most of their current iconic games as of late got their start on the Playstation brand, Tekken, the Soul series, Ace Combat, many of the Tales games
True, but couldn't the same be said of Snake? And of course, Sonic wouldn't be in if it weren't for the whole Sega vs. Nintendo rivalry of the 16 bit era.
Besides, methinks Capcom and Square would be bigger wins for Nintendo to have characters in Brawl.
This is true, I fully expect one of these two to get a character in before Namco.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
AceBandage said:

No, I am not talking about WHO is KOS-MOS, I am asking WHAT?

The Xenosaga franchise for all intents and purposes was a Sony franchise, and it would not fit at all just because the DS got a shitty release that had an abridged version of the first and second game.

TreIII

Zeed said:
What's wrong with Cress and Arche?

Not at all. What I meant was that, if it came down to it, I would take Pac-man as Namco's representative, as opposed to Lloyd or a good number of the entirety of the Tales cast; Cless and Arche are the only ones that I would definitely be willing to make an exception for, because those two are awesome.

Jiggy37 said:
Speaking of Arche's fantastic character, the only thing I hate about RPGs is that the main heroes, AKA the ones most likely to ever show up in another game, are almost always sword wielders and are never ever as awesome as their supporting cast. :/

You ain't never lie. And this can be applied to Ninty's direction too.

I mean, shoot, what I wanted the most was to have some females from Fire Emblem be able to join the Smash party too. Even if they were ALSO sword users, it would have still been nice to have the likes of Lachesis (FE4) join the fray, and show more people what a REAL FE woman is like. A spear user, a dedicated magic user and etc. would also be nice, and a welcome change from just swords all the time.

I'm really hoping that Smash X does a lot to buck the trends from last time. Last time, we had a grand total of 4 sword users, and two of them played 75% like their counter-parts. IMO, Smash should be a game that should be conducive to the most diverse cast of fighters and fighting styles this side of Guilty Gear, and it won't get that if we're stuck with a lot of characters who utilize similar weapons and attack patterns.

EktorPR

Hcoregamer00 said:

The Xenosaga franchise for all intents and purposes was a Sony franchise, and it would not fit at all just because the DS got a shitty release that had an abridged version of the first and second game.

Remember Nintendo bought Xenosaga's devel...um, nevermind.

EDIT: Damnit, Ace!

Hcoregamer00 said:

Well, Nintendo now owns Monolith Soft, plus I'm just saying I wish it would happen.
Seriously, it would make the game perfect.

Keru_Shiri said:
True, but couldn't the same be said of Snake? And of course, Sonic wouldn't be in if it weren't for the whole Sega vs. Nintendo rivalry of the 16 bit era.

Well Snake did appear on the NES Metal Gear, and yet the franchise actually started on the MSX...

Kojima's just weird wanting Snake in Brawl, but that's good for us.

But in any case, characters from third parties that come in should have some major historical significance to Nintendo.

Like Capcom's Ryu. Street Fighter II played a role in the SNES/Genesis war after all.
The Final Fantasy mages too. Final Fantasy did save Square, for better or worse.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
EktorPR said:
Remember Nintendo bought Xenosaga's devel...um, nevermind.

Which doesn't mean anything since there all 3 games that has the canon storyline were PS2 exclusive games.

Unless Namco is releasing a "Xenosaga Trilogy" between now and January on the Wii, there is nothing that points to having KOS-MOS or any Xenosaga character in the game.

And for the record I thing KOS-MOS is great, she is one of my favorite videogame characters of all time. She just doesn't fit in Smash bros because the main games were released on a non-nintendo console.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hcoregamer00 said:
Which doesn't mean anything since there all 3 games that has the canon storyline were PS2 exclusive games.

Unless Namco is releasing a "Xenosaga Trilogy" between now and January on the Wii, there is nothing that points to having KOS-MOS or any Xenosaga character in the game.

And for the record I thing KOS-MOS is great, she is one of my favorite videogame characters of all time. She just doesn't fit in Smash bros because the main games were released on a non-nintendo console.

I don't think KOS-MOS will be in in it, but they did do Xenosaga on the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom