• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiggy37 said:
Edit: I do think that Lloyd would be Namco's first choice for Brawl if they had any characters getting in to begin with--but I doubt they will. (And whatever the case, it wouldn't be revealed tonight. :p)

Oh, Jiggy, why OH WHY did you have to soil this thread by bringing Lloyd into it? That crap Soul Calibur game can keep him. Leave him out of this!

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
An Arche assist trophy might force me to play with items turned on 500% more often than I do. Especially if she used Eruption or Thunder Blade. Or Grave. Or Spread. Or any spell.
I love Tales.
Big Bang is the only way to go.

Hcoregamer00 said:
She just doesn't fit in Smash bros because the main games were released on a non-nintendo console.
Does Snake have to choke a bitch?

Jiggy

TreIII said:
You ain't never lie. And this can be applied to Ninty's direction too.

I mean, shoot, what I wanted the most was to have some females from Fire Emblem be able to join the Smash party too. Even if they were ALSO sword users, it would have still been nice to have the likes of Lachesis (FE4) join the fray, and show more people what a REAL FE woman is like. A spear user, a dedicated magic user and etc. would also be nice, and a welcome change from just swords all the time.

I'm really hoping that Smash X does a lot to buck the trends from last time. Last time, we had a grand total of 4 sword users, and two of them played 75% like their counter-parts. IMO, Smash should be a game that should be conducive to the most diverse cast of fighters and fighting styles this side of Guilty Gear, and it won't get that if we're stuck with a lot of characters who utilize similar weapons and attack patterns.
Yes on all counts. :( It's a sad state of affairs; the world needs more RPG heroes who fight with lances, axes, staves, bows, fists, magic, nunchakus, or whatever those things are called that the Suikoden 2 guy used.

As for FE females, yeah. Micaiah, upgraded Mist, Titania, Elincia... all lost opportunities if none of these girls are in. And it's not like these are characters who honestly never had a chance, like Nephenee or Astrid, or anybody from FE6-8. (I would have said FE8 had a chance until the Lyn assist trophy.) They're pretty significant storyline-wise for FE9 and 10.

Edit: Palutena would also have been great as a playable character. They'd basically have free reign to do anything with her moveset... Can't limit a goddess, really. Edit 2: I guess it would be weird to be able to KO a goddess directly, but Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf have something resembling the power of the Hyrule goddesses, so it would work out.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DrForester said:
I don't think KOS-MOS will be in in it, but they did do Xenosaga on the DS.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The Xenosaga franchise for all intents and purposes was a Sony franchise, and it would not fit at all just because the DS got a shitty release that had an abridged version of the first and second game.

RIFLogo2.jpg

I acknowledged it already, and that doesn't make it any better.

Golden Darkness said:
Well Snake did appear on the NES Metal Gear, and yet the franchise actually started on the MSX...

Kojima's just weird wanting Snake in Brawl, but that's good for us.
Granted, I think in both cases third parties were included more on people wanting the character in (whether Kojima, or the fans) than it was on how Iconic they were.

The Final Fantasy mages too. Final Fantasy did save Square, for better or worse.
I would love to see the mages from FFI appear, if only because I want more magic users in Brawl.

Jiggy

At least nobody can claim that this thread never took some interesting twists.

Zeed said:
That's exactly what you do in Kid Icarus.
I can't remember what type of species Medusa is, but Pit had the help of like three holy artifacts.
Edit: Then again, who cares about holy artifacts in Brawl? Ganondorf dies to Kirby kicks, no need for this Master Sword nonsense.

Jiggy37 said:
As for FE females, yeah. Micaiah, upgraded Mist, Titania, Elincia... all lost opportunities if none of these girls are in. And it's not like these are characters who honestly never had a chance, like Nephenee or Astrid, or anybody from FE6-8. (I would have said FE8 had a chance until the Lyn assist trophy.) They're pretty significant storyline-wise for FE9 and 10.

I think Lyn was the only realistic missed opportunity for a FE female. I don't think it'd be reasonable or even good to expect two reps from one FE universe seeing how varied the franchise is and if someone had to come from FE9/10, how could that not be Ike?

KevinCow

Banned
If Namco has a representative, I can't imagine it'll be anyone other than Pac-Man. I mean, say what you want about the character, how he sucks in 3D, how he couldn't have a move set, but he's still up there with Mario in terms of video game icons.

But I'm probably completely wrong like I was about Metroid Prime last night.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
I can't remember what type of species Medusa is
She's a Goddess, just like Palutena. They used to look something alike, until Palutena got tired of Medusa's shit and turned her into a monster. That's why Medusa wanted revenge.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Well, this is it. Tonight's my birthday update, my eighteenth birthday, no less.

However, I'm perfectly willing to accept the Mother music from last night as an early birthday present from Sakurai. :D

By the way, I have a bit of a wild theory - some might call it hope - that Pokey might actually be a playable character, a character unlockable in the Subspace Emissary. It's obviously a stretch, but he does villain duty for
the two most recent Mother games
, his home turf and theme song are already in the game, and he would be a perfect candidate for a Subspace boss turned playable, since Sakurai said that many secret characters would be unlocked by meeting them in the Subspace Emissary.

Believe?

Jiggy37 said:
At least nobody can claim that this thread never took some interesting twists.

Unfortunately, some of these twists are well.... unfortunate.

Let see... as for predictions of the non-third-party nature (the less about this particular discussion, the better) Maybe a final smash. We got ZSS and Sonics to be officially revealed since their E for All appearance, and Snake and Zelda have no FS mentioned yet at all.

Or its a game mode, maybe a returning one from Melee like Multi Man Melee. (In fact the only mode from Melee that hasn't returned, I think).

Jiggy

Rancid Mildew said:
I think Lyn was the only realistic missed opportunity for a FE female. I don't think it'd be reasonable or even good to expect two reps from one FE universe seeing how varied the franchise is and if someone had to come from FE9/10, how could that not be Ike?
Well, I think most of the FEs always had something or other standing in their way... FE2 occupies that awkward space between FE1 and 3, where it's old but not old enough, basically, because it's not the first game. Likewise, FE8 is new but not new enough to edge out FE9/10. And FE4-6 are like FE2, old but not old enough... Usually Smash characters tend to be either really recent (Lucas, Roy) or really nostalgic (Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch) while the middle ground gets overlooked.

But yeah, Lyn was definitely the biggest missed opportunity. :/ I understand that FE7's in that "new but not new enough" category, but for a great deal of the world outside Japan it represents their first experience with Fire Emblem...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even though the updates seem to be getting better, I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I'll just guess a Final Smash for tonight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:
Well, I think most of the FEs always had something or other standing in their way... FE2 occupies that awkward space between FE1 and 3, where it's old but not old enough, basically, because it's not the first game. Likewise, FE8 is new but not new enough to edge out FE9/10. And FE4-6 are like FE2, old but not old enough... Usually Smash characters tend to be either really recent (Lucas, Roy) or really nostalgic (Ice Climbers, Pit, Mr. Game & Watch) while the middle ground gets overlooked.

But yeah, Lyn was definitely the biggest missed opportunity. :/ I understand that FE7's in that "new but not new enough" category, but for a great deal of the world outside Japan it represents their first experience with Fire Emblem...

The real reason Lyn will be missed is that she pretty much is the best female character design in any of the Fire Emblem games.

But I'm okay with her being an AT, makes more room for Hector anyways.

Jiggy

Man God said:
The real reason Lyn will be missed is that she pretty much is the best female character design in any of the Fire Emblem games.

But I'm okay with her being an AT, makes more room for Hector anyways.
Good luck with Hector when Ike's already a slow powerhouse heavyweight. Not that this is gloating, mind you. I wanted him in too. :(

Speevy

Banned
Insaniac said:
I really hope we get a second Fire Emblem character of the non-sword fighting style

We're not getting a character tonight. Just get it out of your mind, and one day, it will come.

But more than likely not.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So today at work some crazy girl who I've never seen before randomly came up to me and talked to me for like 20 minutes. And her name... was Crystal.

I'm taking this as a sign from God that we are getting Krystal's character profile tonight. Sorry guys! :eek:

Twig

Banned
I have nothing productive to say, I just want to toss in that I, too, think sword-wielders are boring. Bring on the everything-else! (Note: Swords are cool, but overdone.) I'm not even really a Fire Emblem fan (I want to but they're so daunting for an OCD cat like me), but goddamnit I was hoping for Hector.

pulga

Banned
FUCK YEAH METROID PRIME REPRESENT!!

Loved this update, Sakurai is definitely being awesome again.

I'll go ahead and predict a Subspace update for tonight!

Jiggy37 said:

I'm not too bothered by that. Most of the big Nintendo franchises use the same characters over the years and when you deal with smaller properties like Mother and Fire Emblem, you can only have a limited amount of representation.

I'm not sure FE7 won't get a rep. Eliwood would be a neat and fitting replacement for Roy. Of course if we only get two FE playables, he's unfortunately screwed along with the rest of Elibe.

Jiggy

Calling a character design contest between Nephenee and Lyn is difficult enough to me that I think it would physically hurt to choose. I'm also kind of fond of Tana from FE8, which is especially unusual since by and large I didn't like FE8's cast...

item13_071219a.jpg

This item has absolutely no relevance for those who normally just play free-for-all brawls. But not knowing how to use the item would be problematic, so I’ll just explain it.

item13_071219b-l.jpg

You might be able to imagine what it is from its name...

Before I get ahead of myself, I must explain that this game features a Team Battle mode.

For example, this function allows people to break into teams of two and do battle when four people are playing.

item13_071219c-l.jpg

There are three team colors: red, green and blue.

And the Team Healer has absolutely no function if you’re on your own.

item13_071219d-l.jpg

If you pick it up, you just hold it. It doesn’t do anything.

item13_071219e-l.jpg

But, if you throw it at your ally...

item13_071219f-l.jpg

Your ally’s damage meter gets replenished!

The higher your damage meter, the more you recover.

But, if you don’t alert each other, you may not hit your teammate.

item13_071219g-l.jpg

And occasionally,
it may cause an opponent to recover damage instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom