• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES - Contra III - STAGE4 - WTF?!

Vieo

OMG WTF!? This is probably the most insane thing I've seen in a game when I think about it. He's hanging onto a rocket that blasting through the air with just one hand while shooting a gun with the other hand. Not only that; he's switching to different rockets while in mid-air, by doing summersaults, hanging on with one hand, dodging lasers, all while shooting at a big robot thing with his free hand.

That's absolutely impossible in real life. The only one who could even come close to doing something like that is Chuck Norris.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Vieo said:
OMG WTF!? This is probably the most insane thing I've seen in a game when I think about it. He's hanging onto a rocket that blasting through the air with just one hand while shooting a gun with the other hand. Not only that; he's switching to different rockets while in mid-air, by doing summersaults, hanging on with one hand, dodging lasers, all while shooting at a big robot thing with his free hand.

That's absolutely impossible in real life. The only one who could even come close to doing something like that is Chuck Norris.

You better believe it.

Vieo

Doc Holliday said:
We need more of that shit, fuck realism!

The second most insane thing I've ever seen in a game would be the second(if I remember correct) stage of Road Avenger.

He drives his car into a hotel lobby, right up the stairs, down a hall, crashes out the window at the end, slams the car into a helicopter that's shooting at him, making it blow up, and then lands on the highway below and speeds off into the sunset.

hahahax

Banned
Vieo said:

Not robot, blimp.
Red Falcon blimp.
And the blimp is called Contrasergeant Dodoriguez or something like that.

hahaha, Chuck Norris NEEDS a videogame. That way, whenever someone impossible happens, the game won't have to claim it's "magic" because everyone will have the basic understanding that Chuck Norris can do the impossible.

shuri

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
hahaha, Chuck Norris NEEDS a videogame. That way, whenever someone impossible happens, the game won't have to claim it's "magic" because everyone will have the basic understanding that Chuck Norris can do the impossible.
chuckbig8ig.gif

Ranger X

jett said:
Fuck yeah. There's not enough CRAZY SHIT ACTION these days.

Maybe we are really starting to convince devellopers that we need more and more coherence in our games. Fuck fiction, fuck imagination and over the top impossible cool stuff. This world is sad.

MrSingh

ahh.. Contra III. The first (of many) SNES game to make me feel crap for owning only a Genesis/Megadrive, since I was too poor to buy another 16 bit console.

KINGMOKU

oldschoolpinball said:
one of my favorite games ever.I love the level when your heading up the ladder and shooting at that alien boss whos trying to crush you
I LOVE that game, and the level you speak of. I downloaded the music to that level(BTW, I never understood how Konami never got sued becuase it sounds almost identical to the predator music) and it rocks.

One of the best games ever made. Period.

D

dicklaurent

Unconfirmed Member
Quite a few moments like this in Neo Contra. So over the top.. too bad the game itself is a bit weaksauce.

Hellraizah

Doc Holliday said:
We need more of that shit, fuck realism!
Well, one could also make a game where you combine what makes games sell these days with that crazy action of yesterday. Text in bold is the selling points of the game :

A first person shooter where you fight against nazi robots with a banging hip-hop soundtrack. Of course, the game would be 60 hours of non-stop gameplay, you could go where you want in a free roaming world. Whenever you come across a sports car, you can take it to Germany Customs to get it customized. The game would also let you play as hidden characters such as Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Rob Zombie.

Red Scarlet

Mike Uyama's speedrun of the game was great; hard mode and 0 deaths. I always had to build up extra lives in 2 places to make it through.

What's weird is that the Contra 3 credits song is a vocal track on the Suikoden 2 ost. o_O

Wasn't there a Side Kicks game already and had Chuck Norris in it or am I high?

Vieo said:

Using Ockham's Razor, we can figure out that the main characters in Contra III are in fact clones of Chuck Norris.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Vieo said:

Don't tell me it's impossible cause I've done it. You just have to have decent rocket riding skills and a machine gun with a large capacity magazine as its a bitch to reload when your hanging by one hand from a rocket .

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Actually Devil May Cry 3 comes pretty close to the insanity seen in Contra 3, too bad the coolest moments take place during cut scenes. Imagine having to fight all those monsters while dropping from that tower :O The mgs ending sequence sorta gave you that same thrill.
It just seems like games are getting slower and slower for some reason. No more of this randevouz with squad x at point B, cover fire, Squad AI, free roaming, and immersive story line. I wanna jump in the air grab a mech by the head, rip it off jump off again and launch a nuclear missile into a mile long flying fortress :D We have the horsepower, lets put it to god damn use!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This is an excellent thread and I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressed by the original poster.

Vieo said:
The second most insane thing I've ever seen in a game would be the second(if I remember correct) stage of Road Avenger.

Left arrow, right arrow, A that game was so crazy i bloody loved it though would love to download it on revolution.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Woah! People thought Contra III was hard? Maybe I was just uber hardcore for a 12 year old but I blazed through that game on a single credit. Great great game. Need to break out the SNES soon.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Oh fuck yes. I remember that stage fondly.

The only thing that I remember that comes close to that moment is when in one of the later contras, your fighting against a mid-boss while running on the blades of an airborner heli-copter. Good times.

JRPereira

olubode said:
Oh fuck yes. I remember that stage fondly.

The only thing that I remember that comes close to that moment is when in one of the later contras, your fighting against a mid-boss while running on the blades of an airborner heli-copter. Good times.

Either contra hard corps or shattered soldier. It was a normal level in hard corps, but in shattered soldier you had to get a bunch of S class rankings to get it.

JRPereira said:
Either contra hard corps or shattered soldier. It was a normal level in hard corps, but in shattered soldier you had to get a bunch of S class rankings to get it.
There's a running on top of helicopter blades level in Neo Contra aswell.

It's somewhat short and easy, but should be quite cheap.. yeah? heh

Oh, goofy. Heh. It is quite goofy. Most over the top intro movie ever.

I remember Contra 3 being really quite easy. Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier were tough but I never gave either game a really good play.

JRPereira

Warm Machine said:
I remember Contra 3 being really quite easy. Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier were tough but I never gave either game a really good play.

Part of what made contra 3 so good is that the difficulty ramped up so well. Except for the second overhead level. If you don't kill the boss before the sand starts spinning, you're going to die over and over.

YellowAce said:
ahh.. Contra III. The first (of many) SNES game to make me feel crap for owning only a Genesis/Megadrive, since I was too poor to buy another 16 bit console.
WTH? Contra Hard C.O.R.P.S on the Genny had that same shit and a lot more...without the lame-o overhead crap. In fact, the audio and overall visuals, along with the superior stage design and bosses made the Gen 'roided up version of Contra head and shoulders above the SNES game. Add the four selectable players, more maneuvers per character, and overall superior personality of the Genny game and there's just no looking back, IMO. Don't get me wrong...the SNES game was great fun, but when the Gen game hit, it was like going from Bruce Banner to the fucking Hulk. The extreme difficulty level of the US version of the Sega game was the only fly in the ointment.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Vieo said:

Funny you should say that...

*Just got back from seeing King Kong*

Tellaerin

MightyHedgehog said:
WTH? Contra Hard C.O.R.P.S on the Genny had that same shit and a lot more...without the lame-o overhead crap. In fact, the audio and overall visuals, along with the superior stage design and bosses made the Gen 'roided up version of Contra head and shoulders above the SNES game. Add the four selectable players, more maneuvers per character, and overall superior personality of the Genny game and there's just no looking back, IMO. Don't get me wrong...the SNES game was great fun, but when the Gen game hit, it was like going from Bruce Banner to the fucking Hulk. The extreme difficulty level of the US version of the Sega game was the only fly in the ointment.

I take it you've played the Japanese version, then? :) (For those not familiar with it, the Japanese version of Hard C.O.R.P.S. allowed you to take three hits before dying, and the game originally was designed around that system. Changing that to one-hit deaths for the North American version was an incredibly stupid move that transformed the game from fun to unnecessarily frustrating.)

Top Bottom