• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES - Contra III - STAGE4 - WTF?!

Jeff-DSA said:
Ah, Contra III...one of the best games ever made.

Treasure at their best, baby!

Also, the original poster neglected to mention that that mission begins on futuristic motorcycles (!!!) and progresses to that point.

Contra III is one of the greatest games made, period.

Sometimes my memory has me believing something is better than it was, but not here. I can still fire it up now and be amazed.

Warm Machine said:
I remember Contra 3 being really quite easy. Hard Corps and Shattered Soldier were tough but I never gave either game a really good play.

Try it again on Hard mode and tell me how easy it is. :)

Monk

Banned
Hard modes want that hard. It was perfect, the right amount of difficult so that there is enough challenge, but not too hard that you stop playing. Perfection.

Doogdogg

Contra III was awesome. I first played it in 1993 but never beat it then. I recently bought a used copy two years ago and had a blast playing it. Didn't seem that difficult today.;)

I'm probably going to picked up the GBA port as well but I heard they had many changes, including different stages that replaces the SNES version..... hmmm?

mosaic

go eat paint
Dark Dragon said:
Contra III was awesome. I first played it in 1993 but never beat it then. I recently bought a used copy two years ago and had a blast playing it. Didn't seem that difficult today.;)

I'm probably going to picked up the GBA port as well but I heard they had many changes, including different stages that replaces the SNES version..... hmmm?
Avoid it. They broke the weapons system and replaced the top-down levels with levels from Contra: Hard Corps.

Tellaerin

mosaic said:
Avoid it. They broke the weapons system and replaced the top-down levels with levels from Contra: Hard Corps.

The fact that they ditched the top-down levels doesn't bother me - I always thought those were there more to show off Mode 7 than because they were actually, you know, fun - but I'm curious about what they did with the weapons. Do you start with a preset group of weapons now, instead of getting different ones by shooting those powerup drones?

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Dark Dragon said:

I was going to pick it up but then I remembered that for me the game was all about 2p, layin it down against alien scumb is so much more fun with another buddy. It'll definatly be one of my first downloads on the rev.

Trojan X

Banned
Quite possibly one of the best scrolling shot-em up game, ever! You hardly get games this exciting, instence and action packed with full on control anymore in this generation.

Worthy note - the end boss music is incredible! It does exactly what it supposed to do, 'drive your adrenaline'.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That game was quite a rush. Hampered only by the top-down portions. I'll have to check out the JP version of Hard Crops. I assume it has the same name?

gstaff

i'm might play it tonight now that you mention it. got a new samsung lcd with only the snes plugged in so far. I love the third level boss on hard. its so intense.

mosaic

go eat paint
Tellaerin said:
but I'm curious about what they did with the weapons.
If memory serves me right, they made it so you can only carry one weapon at a time (instead of two) and they took out the screen clearing bombs.

MrSingh

MightyHedgehog said:
WTH? Contra Hard C.O.R.P.S on the Genny had that same shit and a lot more...without the lame-o overhead crap. In fact, the audio and overall visuals, along with the superior stage design and bosses made the Gen 'roided up version of Contra head and shoulders above the SNES game. Add the four selectable players, more maneuvers per character, and overall superior personality of the Genny game and there's just no looking back, IMO. Don't get me wrong...the SNES game was great fun, but when the Gen game hit, it was like going from Bruce Banner to the fucking Hulk. The extreme difficulty level of the US version of the Sega game was the only fly in the ointment.

Hard Corps is great, the section where the giant enemy runs past the train, stops it and then proceeds to shake the train almost made me shit my pants! Unfortunately Hard Corps came much later in the life of the Genny though. Ultimately Gunstar Heroes and SOR2 diminished much of the SNES-envy in me. :)

Top Bottom