• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLDIER

Well I definitely need some higher quality box art for my added games lol. But happy this is working!

Where do you get the box art and how do you apply it?

Maybe we should have a separate modding thread? Compete with a detailed OP with links and FAQ?

Maybe we should have a separate modding thread? Compete with a detailed OP with links and FAQ?

Google image search. You should be able to find some 2000ish by 1500ish images that are way overkill.

Is there a problem hooking the USB power to my TV's USB port? The plug doesn't reach my outlet.

Seemed to work fine for me.

As long as your tv didn't cheap out, it should be fine. If you get random crashes, especially when you hit rest, then you know the tv isn't putting out enough juice.

ParityBit

We need someone to own this thread who can update the OP. This is a crappy OT really. We had one which was alive for 30 milliseconds.....

Phatcorns

I'm not sure. What's the exact size of your Front Mission save before the hash is added to the end?

Edit: Never mind, I can see the file size on the hex editor screenshot. It looks like you're doing exactly the same thing I did, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Just to reduce the number of variables, I wouldn't bother with the .hash file because the emulator doesn't care if it exists.

Cool well thanks for the help. I'm gonna give up for now because I think I'm doing everything right and it's just not working. I did manage to get the arrow to default to the second slot on a save that had two files in it but they both say no data available. Maybe it has something to do with the rom being English patched or something? I don't know.

3f4Sd9f.jpg

How do you guys know what needs a patch vs what does not? Especially games you have never played?
PAL-only games need an NTSC-patch, Japan only games need a translation patch, Final Fantasy II/III need a patch to show their real title Final Fantasy IV/VI, Super Mario Allstars needs the brick physics fix patch.
Other than that you won't need much more.

Seik

Banned
We need someone to own this thread who can update the OP. This is a crappy OT really. We had one which was alive for 30 milliseconds.....

Ehm, I understand the feeling, but it's not like this thread was meant exclusively for modding.

The OT is fine and the guy that did it did a fine job.

Once the official modding tool will be released I assume there will be a thread about it.

This thread is mainly for the SNES Classic and the games that come with it.

Here:

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, here is an early pre-release compile that functions fully. (I'm hosting it on my webspace so you don't have to look in shady places or anything, I think I am pretty trusted here. ;) )

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you're done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

Oh...I didn't know that though, just went to see what the OP looks like a minute ago. :lol

It wasn't updated by the OP from a few days before the system came out, up until a few days ago - during which time EviLore had to edit it multiple times - and even then the OP basically balked at the idea of having to actually do anything.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You might still want to make your own box art because hakchi isn't getting it correct right now.

The large box art should be 228 x 160, hakchi is incorrectly sizing it to 204 x 152.
Thanks for the dimensions. Now I can photoshop horrors like this (since apparently some people really hate the PAL box style)

TwQCVKz.png

Hmmm...... maybe I should consider changing the words "PAL VERSION".

Whats wrong with the picture in the OP?

xEJnA9e.png

snesclassic-1280-1498599527986_1280w.jpg

Too busy shitting on the US version to realize you put a fan made box.

Heck, EviLore had to correct your bad joke.

You haven't even been following the thread, have you?

No, he shows up 5000 posts later with a bad jpg made in MS Paint.

PMS341

So, what are the official resolutions for the hi-res box arts used in the main menu? Does it auto-compress the images for the "slide" preview at the bottom, or are they uploaded separately with different dimensions? I'm planning on spending some time creating custom "banners" for each game I add, sort of like Switch icons. Of course, I'll upload whichever ones look decent as well.

Robin64

So, what are the official resolutions for the hi-res box arts used in the main menu? Does it auto-compress the images for the "slide" preview at the bottom, or are they uploaded separately with different dimensions? I'm planning on spending some time creating custom "banners" for each game I add, sort of like Switch icons. Of course, I'll upload whichever ones look decent as well.

228 x 160 for the boxes.

The preview images can be any size you want, but if you're using hakchi then it will autoscale down your original image to 40 x 29. (The ones that come on the SNES Mini are 40 x 28). You can alter these images in the /snes_games/ folders, though, before syncing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Do we have any idea when the next version might get a release, or are we talking weeks?

It's taken a week to get the thing off the ground from nothing, so we're probably looking at hours and days until the next release candidate, rather than weeks. No knowing when the "official" release will occur, though.

Lettuce

I mean. It's taken a week to get the thing off the ground from nothing, so we're probably looking at hours and days until the next release candidate, rather than weeks. No knowing when the "official" release will occur, though.

Thanks, i might wait for the official release

So, 60 games now on the SNES classic. From Aladdin to Breath of Fire, from Lufia to Super Star Wars 1-3 and many many more.

Now it really deserves that name.

I dug my original SNES out of the garage and it still powered on. When I hooked it up to compare to the classic, I was really surprised by how different it looked! The TV blurs the image from the original to stretch it, and I think that is closer to what we experienced with 90s TVs. My wife actually thought the original looks better, and I can see that. In this example, as a kid I imagined Ryu's hair flowing realistically over his headband, now I can see the exact pixels of where it is and is not, I think its actually better to not know, and that is likely how the original artists meant it to be.

dfLR96z.jpg

inner-G

Banned
I dug my original SNES out of the garage and it still powered on. When I hooked it up to compare to the classic, I was really surprised by how different it looked! The TV blurs the image from the original to stretch it, and I think that is closer to what we experienced with 90s TVs. My wife actually thought the original looks better, and I can see that. In this example, as a kid I imagined Ryu's hair flowing realistically over his headband, now I can see the exact pixels of where it is and is not, I think its actually better to not know, and that is likely how the original artists meant it to be.

dfLR96z.jpg

Do a comparison with the CRT filter

TheMoon

But three of the games on the SNES classic had never been released on the VC (one of which had never been released, period). Before it was revealed, people would have said the same thing about Yoshi's Island and Star Fox being on the SNES classic, and nobody would have seen Star Fox 2 coming.

this is what I meant. see the speculation part by OP.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1074236

(nevermind the whole controller pak emulation debacle)

Robin64

I wish these games had been re-optimized for the 16:9 for the rerelease rather than just a pack-in :/

You mean display more area of the game? That would just fundementally break so many of them, I'm afraid, unless they were proper remakes. And at that point, 21 full remakes for 80 dollars isn't happening.

_Rob_

This is fantastic! Got the "Grump's Dream Course" Romhack working, 150 new levels for Kirby's Dream Course... hell yeah!

TheMoon

I wish these games had been re-optimized for the 16:9 for the rerelease rather than just a pack-in :/

That's not how any of this works. That's not something you can "optimize." You can't show what isn't there. This is not 3D games where there is a camera that shows this angle and that angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom