• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Now that we're on the verge of having an official release of Hackchi2, allowing us to put more games on the system, seems like a good time to link to this thread:

The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

So this thread will cover pretty much all of my knowledge about how obtain the precious files from your cartridges/CDs/DVD to be able to play it on the device/emulators of your choice. I learned a lot since I started to collect video games and many times I shared the most I could in my previous thread but I thought that doing a main, overall go-to thread would be a fine idea as well. As I said, this covers my knowledge but I'm not perfect, while I try to explain everything as simply as possible, I welcome any additional inputs and methods you guys will offer and gladly add these to the OP. :)

Here we go!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I dug my original SNES out of the garage and it still powered on. When I hooked it up to compare to the classic, I was really surprised by how different it looked! The TV blurs the image from the original to stretch it, and I think that is closer to what we experienced with 90s TVs. My wife actually thought the original looks better, and I can see that. In this example, as a kid I imagined Ryu's hair flowing realistically over his headband, now I can see the exact pixels of where it is and is not, I think its actually better to not know, and that is likely how the original artists meant it to be.

dfLR96z.jpg

Wow that difference is pretty striking. But yeah, as mentioned the CRT filter should be a bit closer to that image on the right.

That's a pretty great example of how artists were able to make designs that really took advantage of the CRT display technology of the time to get the most out of their work.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Don't mind reinstalling the latest version tomorrow but curious if the app auto-updates?

I wouldn't bet on that. The version that everyone's using right now was compiled by a private user. It wasn't actually distributed by Cluster, so even if Hakchi could auto-update, that version is pre-release. It's better go use a clean install.

So what kind of AC adapter does one need to use the Euro SNES Mini in the US?

EDIT: Nvm. Seems I can just plug it into my TV or any other USB adapter.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think this got shared before & there's many reasons against it:

1.) The average person doesn't know that the Raspberry Pi exists...
2.) ....let alone would know how to program it without looking up a guide
3.) The program being written to add games makes it easy to just plug the mini into your computer
4.) You get an official SNES controller & can play it on your TV with ease, almost literal "plug & play"
5.) Really, the average consumer that wants to get this just wants a nice little collection of popular games from their childhood at hand, & save for a few exception, this is a really nice selection of titles.

If you're a huge tech person, sure, I can see the argument, but even for me, I love the idea of a mini SNES where it's so easy to hack it & add games, plus I can play it on my TV with a real SNES controller (well, the closest to being real) compared to, say, playing it on my PC with a different controller, which just doesn't feel right to me.

3.) The program being written to add games makes it easy to just plug the mini into your computer
4.) You get an official SNES controller & can play it on your TV with ease, almost literal "plug & play"
5.) Really, the average consumer that wants to get this just wants a nice little collection of popular games from their childhood at hand, & save for a few exception, this is a really nice selection of titles.

If you're a huge tech person, sure, I can see the argument, but even for me, I love the idea of a mini SNES where it's so easy to hack it & add games, plus I can play it on my TV with a real SNES controller (well, the closest to being real) compared to, say, playing it on my PC with a different controller, which just doesn't feel right to me.

You didn't read the article in the link, did you?

Mit-

I mean I was just literally sharing it for the headline which gave me a chuckle lol. I'm pretty sure the entire thing is mostly satire, and making fun of people who believe that why would anyone have interest in the SNES Classic when all you have to do is create your own so why would you ever want a cool product like this. Which I have indeed heard before haha.

inner-G

Banned

:lol maybe read the article he linked

I dug my original SNES out of the garage and it still powered on. When I hooked it up to compare to the classic, I was really surprised by how different it looked! The TV blurs the image from the original to stretch it, and I think that is closer to what we experienced with 90s TVs. My wife actually thought the original looks better, and I can see that. In this example, as a kid I imagined Ryu's hair flowing realistically over his headband, now I can see the exact pixels of where it is and is not, I think its actually better to not know, and that is likely how the original artists meant it to be.

dfLR96z.jpg

Your TV is totally fucking the image if you are plugging an original SNES directly into a modern TV. It is upscaling the image, badly. Plug it into a real CRT and it will not look anywhere near as bad as that picture.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Your TV is totally fucking the image if you are plugging an original SNES directly into a modern TV. It is upscaling the image, badly. Plug it into a real CRT and it will not look anywhere near as bad as that picture.

It's funny how the blurry up-scaled version is how we "remember" the games looking even though the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Syriel

Wow that difference is pretty striking. But yeah, as mentioned the CRT filter should be a bit closer to that image on the right.

That's a pretty great example of how artists were able to make designs that really took advantage of the CRT display technology of the time to get the most out of their work.

CRT = free anti-aliasing. ;)

This seems to be tounge-in-cheek, but it is amazing how many people use that exact argument.

"A RasPi is cheaper, because you can download and install pirated ROMs for FREE!"

Yes, anything is "cheaper" if you steal the content. Not a mind-blowing concept.

Anoregon

Does compressing the games have any downside at all?

mrk8885

Banned
CRT = free anti-aliasing. ;)

This seems to be tounge-in-cheek, but it is amazing how many people use that exact argument.

"A RasPi is cheaper, because you can download and install pirated ROMs for FREE!"

Yes, anything is "cheaper" if you steal the content. Not a mind-blowing concept.

Look, I love both my snes classic and raspberry pi. And you’re being silly and exaggerating/lying.

When people say rpi is cheaper, they’re not talking about stealing games. They’re talking about the fact that the raspberry pi unit is cheaper than the snes classic.

dfLR96z.jpg

Here is my actual SNES on an actual CRT:

amXceGP.jpg

Full disclosure, that is through component out, as my SNES is modded. I was gonna take one of composite out, but the colors on it are totally fucked (I assume 'cause of the component mod). So, it does look a bit better than your standard SNES does. Although, to also be fair, I fucking suck at taking pictures of a CRT screen, so others could make it look even nicer.

The moral is, if you want a real deal SNES on a modern TV, you want an upscaler like the XRGB mini. Your TV fucking sucks at upscaling this old stuff. It never looked THAT bad.

Seik

Banned
Is it a possibility that, at some point, we'll be able to modify the filters?

I don't really mind as I like the CRT filter enough so far, but just in case I'd like to tinkle with some Retroarch filters in there.

Now that we're on the verge of having an official release of Hackchi2, allowing us to put more games on the system, seems like a good time to link to this thread:

The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

Thanks for linking my thread, mate. Hopefully it will help some people out who want to play it legit. :)

Peltz

dfLR96z.jpg

Nothing beats native 240p on a CRT for old games. Nothing. Even if you're rocking composite.

I'd rather play composite via OG hardware on a CRT than HDMI via an emulator.

Nothing beats native 240p on a CRT for old games. Nothing. Even if you're rocking composite.

I'd rather play composite via OG hardware on a CRT than HDMI via an emulator.

I'm not, I love the razor sharp pixel clear resolution. But I can understand that, if it looks good, it has something.

Stencil

So, when the NES Mini was modded, did the additional ROMs function within the existing UI, with savestates, appearance etc? Or is it a completely different UI?
Wondering what to expect for the SNES Mini mods, when they happen.

LordRaptor

Look, I love both my snes classic and raspberry pi. And you’re being silly and exaggerating/lying.

When people say rpi is cheaper, they’re not talking about stealing games. They’re talking about the fact that the raspberry pi unit is cheaper than the snes classic.

The SNES mini includes the price of 21 ROMs though, including one thats never been available to purchase.
At some point in the past you would have had to buy those games as cartridges and buy a super magicom or equivalent, or buy those roms at $8 a pop (or possibly more for things like hanabi festival titles) dirct from Nintendo previously.

So..... yeah, the value of the SNES mini isn't purely in BOM terms.

mrk8885

Banned
So, when the NES Mini was modded, did the additional ROMs function within the existing UI, with savestates, appearance etc? Or is it a completely different UI?
A) the mods are already happening. Go back a few pages :)

B) as with the NES classic mods, it maintains the UI, save states, etc. it’s as if all these games came on it from retail

inner-G

Banned
It's just like it is now, but with more games. If you have a whole lot you should be able to make folders.

If you WANT to edit the theme from the OS (images, music) you can.

maybe because i wasnt interested in the nes classic, but i had no idea ya'll was hacking it to add more games!

Very cool.

Has Nintendo commented on the previous hacking?

valippo

Neo Member
This is Ryu on my SNES connected via RGB to my 21" CRT.

My Mini SNES is sitting right next to it, connected to my 40" 4K TV.

Image quality is light years ahead on my original SNES. Also note there is no such thing as "scanlines" that the mini snes tries to replicate. There are no visible black lines on old CRTs.

20171006_2154165skkl.jpg

20171006_2154503ps3c.jpg

20171006_215531bou52.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom