• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently Harry Potter as a franchise is coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

You know she's gonna go full Boruto and write something about ALBUS SEVERUS POTTER one day. Did Voldemort have a kid? Now's a good time for him to pop up.

scamander

Banned
Wow thanks. That looks nice. Was there a place where I could see all of the covers?

For now they only released the first book; the second will be released in October this year, the third next year etc.
(or do you mean the covers of the other releases of the first book? :D)

By the way, will there be pictures in the books now?

Yes, there are lots of really great fully coloured illustrations now. And the book is also really huge and has great production quality. I was surprised to see how cheap it is for what it's offering. You can see basically all illustrations here, if you want to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXS8jO7nqaI

Tesseract

Banned
she's a beast, no doubt

any chance she'd update the series with revisions, additions, notes and stuff?

wait is that what pottermore is

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
They really need to stream a showing of The Cursed Child to cinemas. If I can't make it to see the production live then just reading the script isn't a great alternative. Also it would make them so much money.

imagine if some Utah school decided for it
"The devil is back! and Hermione is a negra!"

Kinokou

With the new wizarding schools revealed I almost suspect she is setting up something like a Amazon Kindle Worlds or Wildcards scenario to expand the franchise. Which honestly would be awesome as long as they can keep the quality.

All I know is the internet is going to explode the day the Cursed Child book releases and the people who didn't read the finer print realize it's actually a script and not a book.

This would be fun.

I hate reading scripts with a burning passion, but I'm getting it without a complaint since I'm prepared for it.

vern

She kept Harry alive for a reason.

Spoiler that shit bro.
:p
I've only watched prisoner of azkaban.

The ride I went on at universal studios a few years back was absolutely amazing and I know nothing about Harry Potter. I would have rode it a bunch of times if the line wasn't 3 hours long. I am glad HP exists solely because of that ride.

The fuck we don't.

Harry_Potter_and_the_Sorcerer-s_Stone_-_2001_-_Electronic_Arts.jpg

I used to have this game but not anymore :(

One of the many games I regret selling

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That illustrated book is stunning
may have to get them at some point

HiiiLife

Just a couple days ago I was looking at prices for Universal Studios in Cali for April just to attend the opening.

I hope Emma Watson is there.

Pachimari

For now they only released the first book; the second will be released in October this year, the third next year etc.
(or do you mean the covers of the other releases of the first book? :D)

Yeah, I meant the covers of the other books, if those can be seen somewhere?

Hmm, looking through that video, I'm thinking the illustrations will be too distracting to me.

By the way, do anyone know where the book OT is? I can't find it.

LuuKyK

Yeah, I meant the covers of the other books, if those can be seen somewhere?

Hmm, looking through that video, I'm thinking the illustrations will be too distracting to me.

By the way, do anyone know where the book OT is? I can't find it.

There are a bunch of different covers for the books. Like these:

images

But the more recent collection is this one with covers from Kazu Kibushi and illustrations by Mary Grandpré (also the box it comes in is awesome):

images

images

oti

Banned

images

But the more recent collection is this one with covers from Kazu Kibushi and illustrations by Mary Grandpré (also the box it comes in is awesome):

images

images

I... I want a Harry Potter Comic book now.
Like a real fancy one.

Give me all of the Harry Potter plz.

pantsmith

Would love to see some darker stories set in the same universe, with wizard cops tracking dark wizards not unlike True Detective.

scamander

Banned
^
The book is really big, so it's easier to read that way.

Both of those were released at the same time, actually. The first one is British, the second one American. I prefer the covers of the signature edition, though.^^

harry_book_sig_series.jpg

Kinokou

The double columns of text in the illustrated books annoy me for some reason.

sorcerers-stone-illustrated-edition-inside-1200-1200x520.jpg

For some reason I think it might have been done to make it easier to read aloud?

I don't know why I would think this as I have never heard anyone mention there being a difference and I haven't tested or thought about it before either.

For some reason I think it might have been done to make it easier to read aloud?

I don't know why I would think this as I have never heard anyone mention there being a difference and I haven't tested or thought about it before either.

I know I am planning on buying the entire set to read to my kids.

Just ordered the first one to be delivered tomorrow. I've never actually read any of the books. :)

FyreWulff

North American title is Sorcerer's Stone while in the rest of the world its Philosopher's Stone.

Apparently the publisher in NA thought sorcerer was a better word to catch kids attention. Lol

It's because the legend is known as the Sorceror's Stone over here in the states (or at least, that's how it was taught/talked about where I lived). I blame our love of alliteration.

Kinokou

North American title is Sorcerer's Stone while in the rest of the world its Philosopher's Stone.

Apparently the publisher in NA thought sorcerer was a better word to catch kids attention. Lol

Direct translation of the Norwegian one is "The stone of the wise" with wise being plural. Translating philosopher into Norwegian doesn't convey any magic connotations, but I assume it somehow does in British English?

Pachimari

I honestly don't like the two columns too.

I'm thinking if it's worth getting back into the books. I read book 1-4 and half of 5 when I were a kid but never in English.

It's just that I already know what's happening having seen all of the movies.

I'm thinking if it's worth getting back into the books. I read book 1-4 and half of 5 when I were a kid but never in English.

But now you can get the full camping experience from book 7!

LuuKyK

Even if you know what happebs... I would say read the books. You are missing out on so many things that are not in the movies.

Ephidel

Direct translation of the Norwegian one is "The stone of the wise" with wise being plural. Translating philosopher into Norwegian doesn't convey any magic connotations, but I assume it somehow does in British English?
It depends how you read it. As a direct translation, if you read "The Philosopher's Stone" as "The stone of the philosopher" then yeah, stone of the wise works.

But the Philosopher's Stone doesn't really refer to a stone owned by a philosopher, it refers to larger alchemical lore. It's meant to be what enables alchemists to turn lead into gold and stuff, or create elixirs of eternal youth.

So it's not that "philosopher" has specific magical connotations in British English, because it doesn't, it's just that when the words are used together they're usually referring to that.

scamander

Banned
^
And that's also the reason why the first book is named "Harry Potter and the Stone of the Wise" in Norwegian and German; because that's just what the Philosopher's Stone is called here.

Fou-Lu

So from this thread we need:

-TV series or three
-Comics books
-RPGs (Open world and/or JRPG style)
-An MMO
-More books set in different parts of the world
-More everything

I want all of this so bad.

AHA-Lambda

I never believed it was going to go away to be honest, though the play surprises me

I just never understood the fuss behind HP frankly :/

LuuKyK

I wouldn't be surprised to see an MMO happen in the future.

Missed this post earlier, but even though I also think a HP MMO would be great and qould have infinite potential, I just dont see it happening. Maybe if rowling for some reason really wants it to exist but I dont think its the case anymore. She must be satisfied with Pottermore. There is also all the problems that licensing might impose to an eventual new game. Considering WB has the rights for that, they will probably prefer to push Fantastic Beasts games instead of going back to HP in the next few years.

Having said that, I do think it was a HUGE missed opportunity. An online game with Hogwarts as a hub for different players entering different houses, learning new spells and competing for their houses is just... PERFECT, I really dont know why it didnt happen.

Qvoth

man, i'm still disappointed at pottermore
i remember when it was 1st announced and there were rumours saying it's going to be an mmo lol, i signed up so fast

Really wish they would revive the property in the gaming world. Visiting Universal Studios just for HP this year and I'm fucking pumped.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, i'm still disappointed at pottermore
i remember when it was 1st announced and there were rumours saying it's going to be an mmo lol, i signed up so fast

heh, same here. Rowling was probably against expanded content...could have been so amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom