• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So apparently Harry Potter as a franchise is coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

man, i'm still disappointed at pottermore
i remember when it was 1st announced and there were rumours saying it's going to be an mmo lol, i signed up so fast

I think I was one of the first 500 accepted into the site before it launched to the public. I remember they would ask some difficult book trivia questions at different times each day and only the first however many answered it correctly would be let in. Fun times.

Initially, I was slightly disappointed in Pottermore mainly because of my outrageous expectations going in, but eventually came to enjoy it for what it was.

Really wish they would revive the property in the gaming world. Visiting Universal Studios just for HP this year and I'm fucking pumped.

I'm genuinely surprised that EA isn't milking this franchise considering the popularity of the novels and the movies. I don't know about the sales of the games based off the movies, but they shouldn't take that the the audience doesn't care for Potter games period, but for their mediocre attempts at them. I mean shit I think Prisoner of Azkaban was their last decent Harry Potter adventure title.

You have Bioware. Make them do an RPG based off the Potter universe. It wouldn't realy cannibalize the sales of Mass Effect, a sci fi shooter rpg, or Dragon Age, an epic Tolkien-esque fantasy title.

Sinoox

Banned
Rowling can't be hurting for money that bad. Why doesn't she just move onto new things? Everybody knows her name now.

Plasma

Banned
I'm genuinely surprised that EA isn't milking this franchise considering the popularity of the novels and the movies. I don't know about the sales of the games based off the movies, but they shouldn't take that the the audience doesn't care for Potter games period, but for their mediocre attempts at them. I mean shit I think Prisoner of Azkaban was their last decent Harry Potter adventure title.

I wonder if they even have the license now I would have assumed it would have ran out after the last movie.

Anyway now Warner are publishing their own games I wouldn't be all that suprised to see them put out some games to coincide with the hype of the new films.

Rowling can't be hurting for money that bad. Why doesn't she just move onto new things? Everybody knows her name now.
Pretty sure she just enjoys writing for those characters and she is working on non Harry Potter books as well. In the last three years she has done three books for her detective series and in an interview she gave it sound like that is going to have more books in the series than Harry Potter.

Joni

You have Bioware. Make them do an RPG based off the Potter universe. It wouldn't realy cannibalize the sales of Mass Effect, a sci fi shooter rpg, or Dragon Age, an epic Tolkien-esque fantasy title.

I think Electronic Arts gave up on movie-games. They also closed down the Harry Potter studio immediately after the Deathly Hallows Part 2 release.

watershed

Banned
Is anyone ever going to make a really good Harry Potter game? I feel like the brand is still strong enough that WB could make a good game based on the movies/books and it would still sell well even so many years removed.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For some reason I think it might have been done to make it easier to read aloud?

I don't know why I would think this as I have never heard anyone mention there being a difference and I haven't tested or thought about it before either.

You might be onto something. I direct voice actors as the main part of my job, and they tend to prefer scripts formatted in narrow columns. Many actors say it helps track the words easily. When an actor his having trouble (we use mirrored monitors) I'll often narrow the column a bit and it sometimes helps.

That's also how screenplays treat dialogue now that I think of it.

*shrug* so maybe.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I guess WB doesn't think an open world HP would work? That's the only reason why I can think of why they haven't done their own major HP game when they have both Batman and LotR under their belt now.

Or maybe it was just too soon? That'd be nice since I'd love a "AAA" HP game from them.

Joni

I guess WB doesn't think an open world HP would work? That's the only reason why I can think of why they haven't done their own major HP game when they have both Batman and LotR under their belt now.

Or maybe it was just too soon? That'd be nice since I'd love a "AAA" HP game from them.

Look at the approach.

Lord of the Rings = Let's take something completely original and ignore the movies.
Batman = Let's take something completely original and ignore the movies.

Do Harry Potter fans want a spin-off like that? For Batman it is an easy sell to have a Batman game independent of the movies. For Lord of the Rings, it works because of the cool enemies. But can you do Harry Potter without the important characters?

oti

Banned
Look at the approach.

Lord of the Rings = Let's take something completely original and ignore the movies.

Do Harry Potter fans want a spin-off like that? For Batman it is an easy sell to have a Batman game independent of the movies. For Lord of the Rings, it works because of the cool enemies. But can you do Harry Potter without the important characters?

Yes. I don't want to be Harry Potter.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Look at the approach.

That's an interesting point. I wouldn't mind personally, but you're right that a lot of fans probably would be divided and it's probably one of the reasons why they've also waited on such a game. And on top of that Rowling has been pretty protective of this world.

If the popularity of the franchise does go back up enough with the release of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them it would be exciting to see if Warner would be interested in making something happen then.

Hogwarts post-Voldemort has excellent potential for a setting of a game. You can make new teachers, change the layout of the place, keep some old characters like Peeves and the ghosts for fan interaction and create a new cast without getting in the way of canon. How would it play? No idea, but the setting and potential is there.

Or they can throw caution to the wind, ignore Hogwarts entirely and have you play as an Auror hunting dark wizards. This one could be combat heavy.

Kssio_Aug

I've just read about the Cursed Child play. Awesome! I bought in the last black friday that collection below, and started yesterday the 5th book after finishing the 4th one (never read them before, just saw the movies).
s-l1000.jpg

Can only say I'm pretty excited for it. May even buy the script just for curiosity after finishing all the series.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope to see WB make an open world Harry Potter RPG with its own story like Shadow of Mordor. They could throw money at CDPR to open a new studio so they do this alongside their other projects. Dreams would come true if they did this.
A Harry Potter spin-off Netflix series would be pretty awesome.
Oh my god.

Hmm. A Dishonored clone could be interesting. Fps, Apparition like Dishonoreds Blink, plently of wacky spells, stealth based, post hallows, HP Auror story.

I'm not sure if the standard WB thought of "Do Batman Again" would work this time though. CDPR is also an odd choice. For several reasons...

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

She's about to be on book four of her new series that is completely unrelated to Potter, so she has moved on to new things, but clearly she also enjoys returning to the Wizarding World occasionally.

Soodanim

Ever since I first saw this I can't help but think it would be great to have an animated Harry Potter show.

Another thought is that the Harry Potter universe in new books could get away with doing a Korra. Time has passed, and the magical world has moved on and embraced technology and various other changes. It could even move on to the point that they ban the date rape potion that makes GAF cry in every HP thread.

collige

Banned
Look at the approach.

I can imagine a couple Harry Potter games without Harry in them:

-A full scale, FIFA-style Quidditch game that expands on the World Cup lore establish in the 4th book. Have locations/teams from all over the world and maybe throw Hogwarts in as a bonus arena.

-A prequel game set during original Voldemort war. This would expand on the original story without actually touching it and let fans see how the adult characters were like when they were younger. Have the main character be Mad Eye and let players find out how his body got so fucked up.

brawly

Look at the approach.

Yes. Posted this before, this here is what we need

Give me an RPG ala Persona, where you get to choose male or female, get sorted into a house, make friends, make rivals, make sweet wizard love and have magic and quidditch duels.

Yes. Posted this before, this here is what we need

Great in theory, but no one's funding that. I mean shit the EA games went from something more akin to Zelda to a fucking gears clone. Trying to pitch a persona based game would get you lauaghed out of the meeting room. It would never happen.

collige

Banned
We already got that and it sucked.

Harry_Potter_-_Quidditch_World_Cup_Coverart.png
Well, the implication was that this would be a title developed with a good budget by a talented studio and not shovelware-esque crap designed to promo a movie. I'm talking AAA graphics, a full Career mode, 14-player online, etc.

JSevere

I wouldn't say it left. There's been a bit of break time since the last movie but things have always been cookin'

Pretty excited for Fantastic Beasts this year, and I'm gonna have to check out the illustrated editions and Cursed Child when that comes out. Echo the sentiments that we need a new, big budget HP adventure game, get on that Warner Bros.!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never cared for the spin-offs Rowling wrote (didn't read any), but I'd love to get another book in the main series. Some kind of origin story would be fine too, though Dumbledore's was pretty much covered in HP7. Maybe something about the Hogwarts founders?

Blizzard

Banned
I know a guy who works at that theme park.

Apparently the butterbeer ain't all that good :/
I have been there many times and pretty much always enjoy the butterbeer. Some people won't like the taste but I think in general it's decent. Frozen is my favorite.

carlo6529

I'm hoping for a prequel story of Albus Dumbledore to come to fruition or maybe a prequel of the three founders of Hogwarts.

Geist-

If the Potterverse is coming back, I hope they do it with a completely original cast of characters. Potter's story is done, I want to see new characters, maybe in different countries, making their own stories maybe with brief mentions of Harry in the peripheral.

Soodanim

I'm hoping for a prequel story of Albus Dumbledore to come to fruition or maybe a prequel of the three founders of Hogwarts.
We pretty much know everything about Dumbledore now though, so anything we got would just beba more detailed retelling. We got the summary in 7.

The four founders is always a popular suggestion, and for good reason.

Moving away from Harry Potter in either time or distance seems to be the general consensus. Go back, go forward, or go somewhere else. With the Japanese school's name I'm not sure how good that particular school's story would be though, maybe one of the others. No feudal Japan guys with wand vs samurai, sorry.

LuuKyK

Bumping this thread since Pottermore is teasing the second fully illustrated edition of the books (Chamber of Secrets). Philosopher Stone was so good, cant wait for this one.

Just when we thought the wizarding world couldn’t get more magical, Jim Kay proves us wrong once again with these simply gorgeous illustrations of the second Harry Potter story.

From a comprehensive da Vinci-esque study of Mandrakes, to an exquisitely detailed portrait of Rubeus Hagrid, we can now take a look at a few of the exclusive pages from his latest illustrated edition – and we suspect you may enjoy them.

The book will feature 115 new colour images, and is to be published in more than 21 languages around the world, so as many people as possible can enjoy Kay’s artwork.

Fans can also expect Kay’s take on the pesky, potato-headed gnomes that cause the Weasley’s endless stress at the Burrow, a beautiful illustration of a female phoenix, and an ethereal take on the towering Hogwarts castle at night. The front cover, much like the original, features Mr Weasley’s iconic flying Ford Anglia.

Of course, we have already been treated to Kay’s unique etchings in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone Illustrated Edition, and the artist will be working his way through all seven books to give us his unique visions of J.K Rowling’s universe. We will (somehow) wait patiently as Kay unfolds the adventures for us all over again.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Illustrated Edition will be released in hardback on 4 October 2016.

capa-camara-ilustrada.jpg

ChamberOfSecrets_5.jpg

ChamberOfSecrets_8.jpg

HP2_Phoenix_layers_edit.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Persona x Hogwarts.

I keep saying this too, the persona games follow the exact same formula as the books, the kids go to class on the morning, socialize a bit during the afternoon and sneak out to investigate and fight the darklord at night.

That's basically 1:1 Persona 3 & 4.

Damn those illustrated versions are amazing. I bought the full boxset for my sister for Christmas, just the normal hardcovers, but I should have just gotten one of these. They look so good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Where the hell is this? Dont tell me this is suppose to be Hogwarts... Why is the great hall being held up by trees? Why does it look so crappy?

ChamberOfSecrets_5.jpg

Miracle

Dream Harry Potter Game:

- Open World
- RPG
- Persona 4 social links mechanics
- Being able to choose any House you want.
- Magic Casting System similar to Dragon's Dogma
- Being able to participate in Quidditch, Goblet of Fire, etc.
- Most importantly, being able to create your character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom