• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So did GAF ever decide Capcom's Ace Staffer (Kamiya versus Mikami) FIGHT!

Every company has that 'guy'--the developer that can't be touched, that is respected due to their quality and variety given in the titles they create as lead game designers/directors. From Miyamoto to Susuki to Kojima and back again. But what about Capcom?

Shinji Mikami
3167-shinji_mikami.jpg

Director Resident Evil (1996)
Director Dino Crisis (1998)
Director Resident Evil remake (2002)
Director PN03 (2003)
Director Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Director (??????????) (unkown project from Clover)

*Mikami as also acted as producer for Devil May Cry and 'consultant' for various RE projects and assistant writer for Killer 7.*

Hideki Kamiya
pcgames0113bio02.jpg

Co-Director Resident Evil (1996)
Director Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Director Devil May Cry 1 (2001)
Director Viewtiful Joe 1 (2003)
Director Okami (current project)

This debate ended 50/50 last time here at GAF, and now with RE4's PS2 (definitive version) release and Okami getting "game of the show/platform" awards left and right, maybe their will be a new turnout.

GO GO GO.

The WINNAAAR IS, hint:
Hideki Kamiya, more variety with that quality baby

Y'know, it's entirely possible for a studio to have more than one superb director.

Konami is not just about Kojima - there's also IGA and many others.
Nintendo is not just about Miyamoto - you neglect Anouma and many others.
Sega is not just about Suzuki - how dare you neglect Naka!! (and many others).

I see no reason to choose between these two Capcom directors.

Inafune gets no mention from you?

Capcom has many talented directors (producers and designers).

I give my vote to them all!

Gaia Theory said:
Y'know, it's entirely possible for a studio to have more than one superb director.

Konami is not just about Kojima - there's also IGA and many others.
Nintendo is not just about Miyamoto - you neglect Anouma and many others.
Sega is not just about Suzuki - how dare you neglect Naka!! (and many others).

I see no reason to choose between these two Capcom directors.

Inafune gets no mention from you?

Capcom has many talented directors (producers and designers).

I give my vote to them all!

I agree, a studio can have many talented designers...for example, Hideaki Itsuno (the chunky 12 yr. old looking dude) is a superb director and probably Capcom's next Kamiya/Mikami if he makes DMC4 the killer app that it's aimed to be.

HOWEVER, there can only be one best (GAF logic flexing it's muscles right there yo)

C- Warrior said:
I agree, a studio can have many talented designers...for example, Hideaki Itsuno (the chunky 12 yr. old looking Capcom staffer) is a superb director and probably Capcom's next Kamiya/Mikami if he makes DMC4 the killer app that it's aimed to be.

HOWEVER, there can only be one best (GAF logic flexing it's muscles right there yo)
:lol Okay, going by that logic - (sorry Inafune) My vote goes to Mikami.

Which is the same logic that says - even though many of us will own multiple consoles, only one is worth owning.

The backassward, circular logic never fails.

Error2k4 said:
http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2230630&postcount=64

in terms of sales not quality(as quality that up for debate).

That's not a Mikami curse imo, Capcom's games are more "hardcore" than your typical Snoop Dog edition street racer.

And as much as everyone likes to tout PS2 100 million units, how much is that sold to those who pirate games? To those who repurchased a system, a slim-line, units sold in China/Korea/India where everyone pirates games etc.

Gamecube has next to no piracy, a slightly more hardcore audience etc., it's no curse or 'magical happening' that Capcom titles sell more on Gamecube than PS2.

And the fact that it's happened with ALL multi-console Capcom games should tell you and Capcom something.

Why DMC and Onimusha has been ps2 exclusive is beyond stupid, put that shit on Gamecube.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
C- Warrior said:
Why DMC and Onimusha has been ps2 exclusive is beyond stupid, put that shit on Gamecube.
I have wondered the same thing, but maybe the GC controller has something to do about it? especially in DMC I dunno.

Zweisy1

Kamiya all the way. I like DMC and VJ more than anything Mikami has made and Okami looks amazing.

Plus the guy has style.

Error2k4 said:
I have wondered the same thing, but maybe the GC controller has something to do about it? especially in DMC I dunno.

DMC1, DMC2 are fine.

DMC3:

L = Devil Trigger
R= Target Lock/Combo Modifier
D-pad = up, down, left, right (menu shortcuts)
C-stick Up/down = Instant switch guns
C-stick Left/Right = Instant Switch melee
Z-trigger = reset camera behind Dante
A button = jump
Y = melee
X = style button
B = shoot

There you go, match, game point. Or is it match, set point?

MadOdorMachine said:
YEAH! What he said! ^

What's even more dumb is a perfectly portable special edition re-release of DMC3 is coming back on PS2. Gamecube has done Capcom well, to not put it's best selling series of this gen. on it is just ignorance imo. Unless their are some behind the scene things I don't know, (nintendo charging massive royalties or something) the sales of Capcom games on the big N have been strong. (in comparison to PS2)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I vote for Keiji Inafune... father of Megaman, Onimusha, and the soon to be released Dead Rising. To create a character like Megaman, that has stayed popular over all these years is really something rare and special I think. Each new iteration of the series (original, X, Legends, Battle Network) has appealed to a whole new generation of fans. Sonic and PacMan are the only other non-Nintendo characters I can think of with that much staying power.

After Inafune I'd vote for Kamiya, then Mikami. Kamiya's works are more varied. Mikami doesn't travel too far out of his comfort zone so to speak.

Baron Aloha said:
I vote for Keiji Inafune... father of Megaman, Onimusha, and the soon to be released Dead Rising. To create a character like Megaman, that has stayed popular over all these years is really something rare and special I think. Each new iteration of the series (original, X, Legends, Battle Network) has appealed to a whole new generation of fans. Sonic and PacMan are the only other non-Nintendo characters I can think of with that much staying power.

After Inafune I'd vote for Kamiya, then Mikami. Kamiya's works are more varied. Mikami doesn't travel too far out of his comfort zone so to speak.

I'll give you Megaman (which, in a sense is enough to tear Kamiya and Mikami apart if you look at the "what Megaman did for the industry" factor).

But I can't give you Dead Rising, Inafune is the head of all Capcom R&D division, he's no longer 'hands-on' like he used to be.

And I'd give Jun Takeuchi to the Onimusha series imo.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
C- Warrior said:
What's even more dumb is a perfectly portable special edition re-release of DMC3 is coming back on PS2. Gamecube has done Capcom well, to not put it's best selling series of this gen. on it is just ignorance imo. Unless their are some behind the scene things I don't know, (nintendo charging massive royalties or something) the sales of Capcom games on the big N have been strong. (in comparison to PS2)
I know someone from Capcom said something about DMC coming to GC at one point. I think they were going to base that decision off of GC sales of RE though. It's shame. I'd really liked them to have ported over Maximo and Okami too.

Mikami had said that he wanted to see Devil May Cry and Onimusha on the Gamecube. But as we have seen, Mikami is not always on the same page as the higher ups at Capcom.

Too bad though, as they would clearly sell very well on the machine.

Gaia Theory said:
Mikami had said that he wanted to see Devil May Cry and Onimusha on the Gamecube. But as we have seen, Mikami is not always on the same page as the higher ups at Capcom.

Too bad though, as they would clearly sell very well on the machine.

:lol :lol :lol

Poor guy, he's done so much for Capcom. People would think his development genius' would also span over to understanding of the target audience, which is really what its all about when you decide what game goes to what console. Fact is, DMC3:SE will sell more on Gamecube than it would on PS2. That is all. I really think this goes to show how stupid Capcom can be, they port Viewtiful Joe (which didn't really sell buckets in the first place) yet their only North American million seller (Devil May Cry) never saw any 'rerelease' or 'port' of any kind. And this is Capcom we're talking about.

..pakbeka.. said:
I'm willing to bet that the reason some capcom higher-ups don't like nintendo is because of something Yamauchi said

First Error2K and now pakbeka, incomplete posts for the win.

...and that statement Yamauchi made was...

C- Warrior said:
First Error2K and now pakbeka, incomplete posts for the win.

...and that statement Yamauchi made was...
huh? I don't know if yamauchi ever said something ill towards Capcom (or other 3rd parties).

it's just my theory

Kleegamefan said:
Yoshiki Okamoto for the win!!! (though he in not technically at capcom any more)
I was going to mention Okamoto as well... great designer (scenario writer). The GBC and GBA Zeldas were awesome!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I seem to recall seeing Mikami in the credits for Phoenix Wright just a few days ago.

If that's true, and considering I have yet to play more than 10 minutes of Okami at E3, Mikami wins out, only to find himself suckling on Inafune's toes.

Cheerilee

C- Warrior said:
IIRC, Keiji Inafune said in an interview that he disagreed with Mikami about the Cube being capable of being a platform for "mature" titles. He said that he thought Nintendo was kiddy... and that he liked them that way. He said that he intended to keep Onimusha away from the Cube, and that he intended to make Megaman exclusive to the Cube (Megaman X7 notwithstanding, because he started making it for the PS2 before the Cube existed).

Then the Capcom execs bitch-slapped Inafune, and he said "Fine, Megaman can be multiplatform."

Then the Capcom execs bitch-slapped Inafune, and he said "Alright, alright! Knock it off already! Megaman can be PS2-exclusive. But only the new games, not the ports."

Link1110

Neither. I don't know who it is, but Capcom's Ace Staffer is whoever created Phoenix Worhgt: Ace Attorney.

cvxfreak

My vote goes to Mikami. Resident Evil 4 is the best game I've played this generation and he saved it from becoming another horror title among the ranks. He directed the first game in my favorite series, and my second favorite traditional RE (REmake).

Kamiya's alright to me, but Resident Evil 2 is definitely not among the best REs in my opinion; I enjoyed DMC but haven't played it in three years, and VJ got old for me after awhile.

cvxfreak

ruby_onix said:
IIRC, Keiji Inafune said in an interview that he disagreed with Mikami about the Cube being capable of being a platform for "mature" titles. He said that he thought Nintendo was kiddy... and that he liked them that way. He said that he intended to keep Onimusha away from the Cube, and that he intended to make Megaman exclusive to the Cube (Megaman X7 notwithstanding, because he started making it for the PS2 before the Cube existed).

Then the Capcom execs bitch-slapped Inafune, and he said "Fine, Megaman can be multiplatform."

Then the Capcom execs bitch-slapped Inafune, and he said "Alright, alright! Knock it off already! Megaman can be PS2-exclusive. But only the new games, not the ports."

I remember the interview, where he believed the GC being a kid's system and therefore he wanted Onimusha on PS2 (and the Xbox). Everything else... err, not quite.

Widfara

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
My vote goes to Mikami. Resident Evil 4 is the best game I've played this generation and he saved it from becoming another horror title among the ranks. He directed the first game in my favorite series, and my second favorite traditional RE (REmake).

Kamiya's alright to me, but Resident Evil 2 is definitely not among the best REs in my opinion; I enjoyed DMC but haven't played it in three years, and VJ got old for me after awhile.

CVX, what do you find wrong with RE2?

cvxfreak

Widfara said:
CVX, what do you find wrong with RE2?

It played well, but the progression design just hasn't aged as well as it should have. For one, unlike RE1 and RE3, there's no deviation in the path - it's always set with minor alteration. Second, the four scenarios are all too similar, which is a huge turnoff. I would have loved if they all played substancially differently from each other for more than ten minutes. All the scenarios were way too short as well.

I love REMake a lot because Jill and Chris had geniuinely different games that didn't cut into each other too much (there were some similiarities but overall, it didn't feel like you were playing the same game twice artificially like RE2). RE3 had multiple paths and live events and was far more difficult than RE2. CODE: Veronica had a far more interesting story IMO. I'm one of the very few who loved RE0's two-character system. With Deadly Silence looming, hell, I'll take that over RE2 as well with what I've seen.

Just to note, RE4 is equally guilty of having one set path (linearity) but the gameplay rocked so that was no big deal. I'll never get to this day why so many people prefer RE2 to every other RE. Luckily GAF's consensus leans toward the REmake from the poll I made over a year ago.

C-Warrior: Where's the original thread?

Resident EVil 2 was the best imo, because it was the most action paced, and had quite a few scares thrown in as well.

In fact, looking at RE4--you could say RE2 was the most similar (and not because of Leon or Ada)

RE2 suceeded in ways RE4 failed.

Re2 had lots of action, but there were some nice scary moments.

RE4, nothing scared me, at all. Wait wait wait, nope, nothing scared me.

tetsuoxb said:
This thread is funny. I didn't know so may GAFfers sit in on Capcom staff meetings. I am seeing creators being "bitch slapped" and not being on the "same page as higher ups"... but in the end it is all baseless speculation and has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

I take Mikami in this fight. Simply because I prefer the teacher to the student, even if the student has surpassed the teacher in many ways. Without Mikami, there would be no Kamiya.

This is true (in many ways :) )

Although I thought about doing you a service and including Capcom's next rising star; as you say, Hideaki Itsuno.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
C- Warrior said:
DMC1, DMC2 are fine.

DMC3:

L = Devil Trigger
R= Target Lock/Combo Modifier
D-pad = up, down, left, right (menu shortcuts)
C-stick Up/down = Instant switch guns
C-stick Left/Right = Instant Switch melee
Z-trigger = reset camera behind Dante
A button = jump
Y = melee
X = style button
B = shoot

There you go, match, game point. Or is it match, set point?

That's a pretty good setup I guess, on the PS2 I have the combo modifier/target lock set to R3, that way I can keep the analog stick pressed and get off all the moves.

God, I would vastly prefer the GC analogue stick to the PS2 one for DMC3, it's just so much better.

cvxfreak

I found RE2 to be very slow-paced compared to RE3. That one had the most action for me (shooting out 8 zombies? Blowing up cans? That final battle? :))

We forgot to play File 2 last night! D:

Error

CVXFREAK said:
I found RE2 to be very slow-paced compared to RE3. That one had the most action for me (shooting out 8 zombies? Blowing up cans? That final battle? :))

We forgot to play File 2 last night! D:
AMEN, I found RE3 to be the best of the playstation REs by far, the nemesis was just to fucking awesome of a monster.

btw to me Mikami should win this I mean REfucking4 that's all the evidence I need.

sure Kamiya made some really good games but very few games can stand aloneside RE4 and certainly none of Kamiya's games can IMO of course.

Error

Soul4ger said:
I think he left Capcom to form his on game development house (Game Republic something like I don't remember very well) or am I mistaking him for someone else?

Top Bottom