• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I Broke My Wife's 3DS Tonight...

Pro

What an evening. It all started when I was was cleaning up the kitchen and moved the lunch bag I use for work. My wife's 3DS must have been sitting on the strap because it just leapt off the counter and landed on the hard tile.

UK0RscA.jpg

It was like the 3DS' life flashed before my eyes in that instance. You gotta understand for 3 years now this has been her favorite device basically. She's poured countless hours into Street Pass and Pokemon Shuffle. She's completed every single Street Pass game 100%. I'm talking every single Puzzle Piece, every Flower color combination grown, 9,999,999 troops gained, every fish caught, every medal earned in Mii Force, etc... Pokemon Shuffle just the same. And she was standing right there to witness the whole thing! She understandably started to cry a little. I crumbled inside. My mind sprang into action. Game 7 of the World Series tonight? Nah that doesn't matter anymore. Who cares? Gotta get a new 3DS. Wait a minute...the screen isn't coming back on. Oh thank God, it came back on, but it says the SD Card has been removed. Whatever it's powered on now and both screens are working. I can do a transfer. Just gotta buy a new 3DS. Whew sigh of relief. Sure it's gonna be another $200 bucks but so be it. As long as I can get it back up and running it'll all be good. Drive down to Best Buy. The selection there kind of stinks. They had the Galaxy New Nintendo 3DS XL. Searched Target on my phone real fast. Oh hey there is a Pokemon New Nintendo 3DS XL in stock. Head down to Target. Pick it up. Come back. Complete setup and start the transfer. Incorrect password to login to Wife's Nintendo account. Sigh. Get that changed. Error Code. Bigger sigh. Search online. Easy solution to restart 3DS. That worked. Sigh of relief. Transfer took better part of an hour to complete, but everything transfered over fine. Now she has a nice new Pokemon 3DS XL with all games, data, Street Pass and Pokemon Shuffle in tact.

So glad her original 3DS did not break beyond repair and I was still able to complete the transfer. Thank You Nintendo for offering a reliable transfer solution. Kind of sucks she lost the sentimental value of the Gold Zelda 3DS she had for so long but she's relieved and so am I.

And now Cleveland tied up the World Series and it's going into extra innings. What a night.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thank God all she needs is a new 3DS and not a new husband.

Lol.

Seriously though, that new 3DS looks much sleeker and awesome-r than the old one.

Justinh

Good job (not sarcastically) on getting that sorted. At the very least, she gets a new N3DS with the superior 3d with the face tracking (I still leave it off, though).

MANUELF

Banned
At least she got a New Nintendo 3DS and now she doesnt need to kill you in your sleep, glad to read it all ended okay

Arttemis

Very glad to hear it ended on a positive note. I was getting ready to pour one out in your memory and press F to pay my respects.

Razmos

Got a bit sad when you said she was there to witness it and that she started tearing up. You are a good man for jumping straight into action to get her a new one, knight in shining armour :)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I lost my 3ds and it's streetpass data so I know that momentary feel, it feels like I lost a family member. Oh well.

Pro

Good job (not sarcastically) on getting that sorted. At the very least, she gets a new N3DS with the superior 3d with the face tracking (I still leave it off, though).

Yeah so relieved now it all worked out. She was all optimistic while the transfer was taking place. Meanwhile I'm like, pffft I know electronics, who knows what kind of error could still happen? All these Pikmin are just walking around transferring data. They could like drop a piece of data and screw up the whole process! I must have watched those Pikmin for almost the full hour transferring data bits.

Fusebox

Banned
She's gonna love the newer model, and really this is just another reminder of how poorly Nintendo has leveraged Cloud services. You're super lucky the other one worked just well enough to transfer your profile.

Maxinas

Nice try OP but i figured out your master plan. You were probably having some relationship troubles and decided to "accidently" destroy your wifes 3ds so you could buy her a new one and make it seem like your the best husband there is.
Well executed my man, you make all husbands proud everywhere.

Pro

I lost my 3ds and it's streetpass data so I know that momentary feel, it feels like I lost a family member. Oh well.

Feel for you man. I've got my own fair share of Street Pass completed too. Not anywhere near hers but even I'd be upset about it. Unfortunate 3DS doesn't have cloud backups.

You broke the LE Link Between Worlds 3DS!? You are dead to me OP.

I know I know. That was a nice one. Well it still works. If I can find a solution to get it reattached it will still work.

joecanada

Thank you for offering a reliable transfer solution? Am I imagining that all other consoles auto backup to cloud ?

Also thought this was a stealth switch preorder thread

ChrisD

Yeah so relieved now it all worked out. She was all optimistic while the transfer was taking place. Meanwhile I'm like, pffft I know electronics, who knows what kind of error could still happen? All these Pikmin are just walking around transferring data. They could like drop a piece of data and screw up the whole process! I must have watched those Pikmin for almost the full hour transferring data bits.

I worry about that every transfer!

Glad it all worked in the end! It sucks that you lost the Zelda, but the Black is awfully sleek.

Poyunch

I was devastated as soon as I read how much your wife put into those Streetpass games and was so happy to read you were able to transfer it.

I had my phone stolen after getting really far into Pokemon Shuffle (and putting about $15 into microtransactions) and I felt terrible because data was attached to the system and not on an account.

That hurt. I haven't touched the game since because I don't want to start over.

jholmes

And now Cleveland tied up the World Series and it's going into extra innings. What a night.

My first thought when I read the title was that this was more directly related to this game. Glad to hear things worked out though, I transferred over a 3DS and found it really a smooth experience, maybe a bit smoother than yours!

Pro

Nice try OP but i figured out your master plan. You were probably having some relationship troubles and decided to "accidently" destroy your wifes 3ds so you could buy her a new one and make it seem like your the best husband there is.
Well executed my man, you make all husbands proud everywhere.

Hahaha but what if the transfer didn't work? Then I'd have been super screwed!! No way I'd chance that :)

alf717

Opened my Majora 3DS XL for the first time today to replace the micro SD and the freaking weak plastic where the cart goes in cracked. Its an access panel Nintendo it doesn't need a death grip on the console to pull apart. Geez. So pissed...

Justinh

LMAO, I just got a mental image of you staring at the screen and one of the Pikmin like... stumbling a bit. Then you scream at the 3DS "Don't you fucking fall! Don't you fucking fall you little shit! Move it!"

nusilver

Now she can play the handful of great New 3DS exclusives, plus SNES games. Not to mention the overall system performance improvements. Nice save!

darklin0

Banned
Feel for you man. I've got my own fair share of Street Pass completed too. Not anywhere near hers but even I'd be upset about it. Unfortunate 3DS doesn't have cloud backups.

I know I know. That was a nice one. Well it still works. If I can find a solution to get it reattached it will still work.

At least your made amends by getting her a sweet replacement. When in doubt, duct tape.

Pro

Thank you for offering a reliable transfer solution? Am I imagining that all other consoles auto backup to cloud ?

Also thought this was a stealth switch preorder thread

True True. Not gonna argue that. Cloud storage would be infinitely more reliable. Hope Switch has that. Was just too glad it worked so i'll give a shout out.

Garraboa

That "sentimental value" part is relatable. I didn't want to part with my Aqua Blue 3DS, but it was impossible to play on it with cracked speakers, so I took the plunge and got a N3DSXL. I still keep my O3DS around, but I'm definetly not playing on it again. The super stable 3D is just too good to pass up.

Pro

Now she can play the handful of great New 3DS exclusives, plus SNES games. Not to mention the overall system performance improvements. Nice save!
Oh sweet just checked the SNES list. Gotta get Mario RPG on that list tho.

Justinh

That "sentimental value" part is relatable. I didn't want to part with my Aqua Blue 3DS, but it was impossible to play on it with cracked speakers, so I took the plunge and got a N3DSXL. I still keep my O3DS around, but I'm definetly not playing on it again. The super stable 3D is just too good to pass up.

Yeah, I still have my OG Red and Link Between Worlds 3DS systems sitting around too. I never play them, just turn them on when I get a notification of a spot pass from like... a nintendo employee so I can get 3 puzzle pieces instead of one, lol.

Top Bottom