• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Pokémon Is 15 Years Old Today

Gyarados shouldn't be switched at all. Look at its mouth, whiskers, fins, and back spines. It's Magikarp.

It doesn't help that in East Asian mythology, there's the legend of the persistent carp that transforms into a mighty dragon.

udivision

EmCeeGramr said:
Gyarados shouldn't be switched at all. Look at its mouth, whiskers, fins, and back spines. It's Magikarp.

It doesn't help that in East Asian mythology, there's the legend of the persistent carp that transforms into a mighty dragon.
Even more proof: Look at Red Gyarados.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Izayoi said:
You're a cool guy.

Just thought I'd let you know.

1266823074479c7ie.jpg

Isometric, and/or SRPG Pokemon is some sort of wet dream for me.

udivision said:
The argument is just for the names

Bagon, Shellgon, Flygon
Specifically the English names, though, which is what makes it really weak. Flygon kept it's original name, but the entire Salamence line's names were changed from their Japanese versions (none of which ended in -gon). So that one doesn't really seem like any sort of mix-up at all, since Flygon was a name that was kept from the Japanese names (since it's origin is pretty obvious and it fits), whereas Bagon and Shelgon only came into "existence" in the English games (since Tatsubay and Komoruu probably wouldn't have meant much to most people who would have picked these games up). Not really possible for there to be a mixup there at all (I suppose it's possible that they might have considered giving Flygon's name to Bohmander and renaming Flygon to Salamence, but I really, really, doubt it).

Zzoram

EmCeeGramr said:

A carp that becomes a mighty dragon is an awesome myth.

red13th

Unchanged fact after 15 years: Gengar is the greatest pokemon.
I still have my Gengar cards. After I stopped playing I traded away almost all my cards for Gengar cards.
Nothing bugged me more during RBY than Alakazam omgpwning my Gengar. Everyone knew it was the other way around! Damn you Poison subtype and no useful Ghost-type attack.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
-Eddman- said:
To me, Glalie looks like General Ginyu from DBZ.

Yeah, he's definately got a Toriyama-style to him.

Same with Tentacool as well...the way his eyes are set remind me of Guldo from the Ginyu Force.

Also, speaking of Salamence, I always found it cool how he was based on this guy:
373Salamence.png
VeUfm.jpg

There's some other anime references in Pokemon such as...

Purloin and Doronjo from Yatterman
509Purrloin_Dream.png
AYLjc.jpg
[/IMG]

Munchlax and Totoro (the medium-sized one)
Munchlax_Brawl.png
AUSNQ.jpg

Shinx and Kimba
403Shinx_Dream.png
rYNe4.jpg
[/IMG]

And then Bisharp and Golurk are pretty much your anime-inspired Sentai and Giant Robot, which fits since they're right next to each other in the dex.
625Kirikizan.png
623Goruugu.png

Izayoi

Banned
Small Mailman said:
Where the hell is my console Pokemon game? An upgraded Colosseum with none of that stealing shadow Pokemon bullshit would be great!
Well be getting a Generation V one here pretty soon. Or, at least, an announcement of one.

It will be the last Wii Pokemon game before Nintendo switches to the WiiHD.

fisheyes

ShironRedshift said:
Specifically the English names, though, which is what makes it really weak. Flygon kept it's original name, but the entire Salamence line's names were changed from their Japanese versions (none of which ended in -gon). So that one doesn't really seem like any sort of mix-up at all, since Flygon was a name that was kept from the Japanese names (since it's origin is pretty obvious and it fits), whereas Bagon and Shelgon only came into "existence" in the English games (since Tatsubay and Komoruu probably wouldn't have meant much to most people who would have picked these games up). Not really possible for there to be a mixup there at all (I suppose it's possible that they might have considered giving Flygon's name to Bohmander and renaming Flygon to Salamence, but I really, really, doubt it).

I had no idea about the Japanese names, and that Flygon was Flygon in Japan, but Flygon really does fit in better as the third stage of the -gon line: 'Shellgon' is a -gon with a shell like casing, and the third stage is a -gon who gains the ability to fly... hence, 'Flygon'. To me, it just seems like it was so painfully obvious that the designers then went "oh shit, this is way to obvious, we can't really call it Flygon, can we", but liked the way Flygon sounded too much and decided they need to keep it somehow, so they gave it to the game's other flying dragon. I'm now aware its not true, but damn it, it should be.

Izayoi said:
Black-Wind you are my favorite person ever. Finally someone else who loves Mawile. She's my favorite Pokemon.
lol, this gif was my sig on Serebii back when I use to go their forums (or maybe it still is? Haven't been there in years)

pXk3t.gif

Wish there was more love for her. Maybe a evolve in the next gen?

Ultima_5

NoRéN said:
Would it be hard to find a gameboy pocket and Pokemon red? And how much would I expect to spend?
I've purchased 2 gameboy pockets in the last year, and neither was over $10. Bought another copy of pokemon red last year too, and it was around $12. Shouldn't be to hard to find either. Especially online

NoRéN

Ultima_5 said:
I've purchased 2 gameboy pockets in the last year, and neither was over $10. Bought another copy of pokemon red last year too, and it was around $12. Shouldn't be to hard to find either. Especially online
Cool, sounds good. I would like to avoid eBay due to the risk of a non working stuff or counterfeits.

I mentioned a few pages back that I got a gameboy pocket with pokemon blue for helping a friend move. Well, my girlfriend has claimed it all as her own. I figure I might as well get one myself and do some trading with her. Does the SP play gameboy games and can they be traded with a gameboy pocket?

Ultima_5

NoRéN said:
Cool, sounds good. I would like to avoid eBay due to the risk of a non working stuff or counterfeits.

I mentioned a few pages back that I got a gameboy pocket with pokemon blue for helping a friend move. Well, my girlfriend has claimed it all as her own. I figure I might as well get one myself and do some trading with her. Does the SP play gameboy games and can they be traded with a gameboy pocket?

The SP does indeed play gameboy games, but it has a different link cable than the gameboy pocket.

NoRéN said:

As long as they have game link cable slots, I think you should be good.

Edit: That's right, I forgot about the different link cables.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
DarthWufei said:
Seeing this thread and everyone's different pokemon favorites gets me hyped for the next NeoGAF tournament.

Also I have a thing for dark-type pokemon, almost always have one on my team:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/DarthWufei/skys_sharpedo_by_FuPoo.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/DarthWufei/Shiftry.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/DarthWufei/_houndoom__by_kankakanka.jpg[IMG]

I think Zuruzukin, Cacturne, or Crawdaunt will make an appearance on my next team.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/vdn5w2.jpg

coldvein

Banned
Small Mailman said:
Where the hell is my console Pokemon game? An upgraded Colosseum with none of that stealing shadow Pokemon bullshit would be great!

consoles aren't where its at anymore brah

NoRéN

Ultima_5 said:
The SP does indeed play gameboy games, but it has a different link cable than the gameboy pocket.
aww. SO, i need either two SPs to trade or to gameboys, right?

I hope something comes around soon. :)

I can't imagine Pokemon being as successful now if it had started on consoles. It's feasible now because of DLC and whatnot, but back in the mid/late-90's there was no other way to trade with people unless you want to count the N64 memory packs.

So this thread has basically made me want to pick up B/W... I played a bunch of Pearl, but (this is a little sad) I never beat the Elite 4 :( The last guy kept owning me.

If I remember correctly, Ethers were hard to find and I didn't wanna use 'em. Most of my guys would be quite gassed by the end, to say the least. I'm stingy in games.

Izayoi

Banned
shrapnelmagnet said:
So this thread has basically made me want to pick up B/W... I played a bunch of Pearl, but (this is a little sad) I never beat the Elite 4 :( The last guy kept owning me.

If I remember correctly, Ethers were hard to find and I didn't wanna use 'em. Most of my guys would be quite gassed by the end, to say the least. I'm stingy in games.
Too low level, dude.

Keep throwing your Pokemon at them and eventually you will win.

Wiseblade

shrapnelmagnet said:

Ethers may be rare, but Leppa berries are infinte.

Izayoi

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
If not for Pokemon Blue, I'd probably wouldn't be into games...scary.
Isn't it? You could be a successful corporate executive with a mansion and three Ferarris right now, but instead you're here with us, playing video games and having a grand old time of it.

Izayoi

Banned
Small Mailman said:
Correct me if I am wrong but, aren't there male Mawiles?
There are. I just refer to it as a she because that's what my brain sees when I look at one.

I do it with all of the Pokemon. I thought most people did.

Black-Wind said:
Wish there was more love for her. Maybe a evolve in the next gen?
And a baby version you can only get with stupid hold items on the parents while you're at it. Yeah we'll get to 1000 at no time with this thinking...

Sorry, its just I really dislike Pokedex filler and making eveolutions for stuff so it can get out of UU when a better solution would be revising the stat system for either competative or post-game playing as not to mess up the single player too much (Buterfree has crap stats to make up for the fact it has those stats at level 10 putting it miles ahead of the other creatures there...it goes with the whole bugs mature quickly thing)

Watch Da Birdie said:
Shinx and Kimba
403Shinx_Dream.png
rYNe4.jpg
[/IMG]
Its like staring at a Chinese bootleg version...

Wiseblade

Mawile has a nice design, but pure steel is such horrible typing. It's definitely on ly list of "cool looking pokemon I wish were good".

Izayoi

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Mawile has a nice design, but pure steel is such horrible typing. It's definitely on ly list of "cool looking pokemon I wish were good".
Pure Steel isn't horrible. I mean, it's bad, but it could be worse.

Like Bug.

udivision

This thread makes me hate Mawile almost as much as I hate Gardevoire.
Other than that, some funny pics in the earlier pages.

Delio

Wiseblade said:

I'd love for it to evolve and get Dual Typing. Not sure what it could be though as Dark/Steel would be horrid i think..

maxxpower

Izayoi said:
There are. I just refer to it as a she because that's what my brain sees when I look at one.

I do it with all of the Pokemon. I thought most people did.

I always see Chikorita as a she, but Bayleef as a he.

Top Bottom