• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Pokémon Is 15 Years Old Today

Izayoi

Banned
udivision said:
I'm just not a fan of this pokeperversion is all. It's sullied many a thread, ol chap.
Pokeperversion?

Uh... what?

Mawile is a cool Pokemon. We're not allowed to like her without it being perverted? I'm not quite sure I understand.

udivision

Izayoi said:
Pokeperversion?

Uh... what?

Mawile is a cool Pokemon. We're not allowed to like her without it being perverted? I'm not quite sure I understand.
You can like any pokemon you darn well please. It's just that some of this art doesn't know the difference between portraying something as cute and something as sexual. The fact that Mawile gives off chibi anime-girl vibes is probably the reason.

Izayoi

Banned
udivision said:
You can like any pokemon you darn well please. It's just that some of this art doesn't know the difference between portraying something as cute and something as sexual. The fact that Mawile gives off chibi anime-girl vibes is probably the reason.
Okay... still not quite sure what you're talking about. Are you sure it's not just you who's interpreting it as something sexual? Nothing I see posted in the thread comes off even remotely like that, but maybe that's just me.

Izayoi

Banned
I see your point about Lopunny (even then I think it's just more that guy's artstyle - look at his website), but Kirlia and especially Mawile don't give off that vibe at all to me.

And besides, that's one image out of all them. I don't see how the past few pages had made you "hate Mawile". It's seems a little sensationalist to say that.

MisterHero

I don't know about you guys but I raised a male Gardevoir ._.

and Bug Pokemon are the coolest. I can't believe I struggled with Psychics so much, especially in the earlier games.

<3 Ninjask, Beautifly, Heracross, Scyther, etc. (ESPECIALLY Ninjask with its speed, evasion, and Fury Cutter)

I'm playing Pokemon Blue again and I'm training a Beedrill. I stomped Gary's Kadabra with 1 Twineedle. Ha.

Who cares about Mawile anyways? When we all know Torkoal is the best gen III Pokemon.
vPnu2.gif

Izayoi

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
Who cares about Mawile anyways? When we all know Torkoal is the best gen III Pokemon.
vPnu2.gif
There are bunch of great Gen III Pokemon, but Mawile was definitely the best.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Izayoi said:
You're going to love Gen V.

YES!

I especially love Karrablast and Shelmet, the new bugs who evolve by being traded for one another...it's a pretty interesting method, and I like how Karrablast robs Shelmet of his shell and, in response, who morphs into a vengeful ninja slug. And then you got a bad-ass knight beetle too.

udivision

I used to imagine fight scenes between Nidoking and Rhydon. Those were the days...

If only there was some sort of animated version of pokemon... that didn't completely stink.

Izayoi said:
Pure Steel isn't horrible. I mean, it's bad, but it could be worse.

Like Bug.
Pure Flying is the worst, believe me.

Chet Rippo said:
vPnu2.gif
Ludicolo not only laughs, but dances in your direction.

rD1L5.gif

Calcaneus

I went to see the first two movies in the theaters. I remember the first one was HUGE, and I still kinda thing its a fun movie to watch. We all loved it and would talk about it for weeks at school, as more and more kids slowly got to see it. THE moment of the move was easily (spoilered for people who care and still don't know)
when Ash "died"
. Even tough they didn't go through with it in the end, it was still a huge "holy shit" moment.

The second movie wasn't nearly as big a deal, and I can't for the life of me remember a thing about it. Brock was still traded out for Tracy in that one right?

N4Us

The ending to the first movie pissed me off so much as a kid.

Also how that one guy called his Pidgeot a Pidgeotto. YOU IDIOT

fisheyes

Calcaneus said:
I went to see the first two movies in the theaters. I remember the first one was HUGE, and I still kinda thing its a fun movie to watch. We all loved it and would talk about it for weeks at school, as more and more kids slowly got to see it. THE moment of the move was easily (spoilered for people who care and still don't know)
when Ash "died"
. Even tough they didn't go through with it in the end, it was still a huge "holy shit" moment.

The second movie wasn't nearly as big a deal, and I can't for the life of me remember a thing about it. Brock was still traded out for Tracy in that one right?

It had Lugia and the 3 legendary birds, and a Slowking who could speak through telepathy. Also you got an ancient Mew Pokemon card with it (and that was at least somehow tied into the plot of the movie - I remember some dude in the movie had one for some reason). Thats all I remember.

I was the first person at my school to see it. I dragged my mum with me. It was badass.

N4Us said:
Also how that one guy called his Pidgeot a Pidgeotto. YOU IDIOTTO
:3

fisheyes said:
It had Lugia and the 3 legendary birds, and a Slowking who could speak through telepathy. Also you got an ancient Mew Pokemon card with it (and that was at least somehow tied into the plot of the movie - I remember some dude in the movie had one for some reason). Thats all I remember.

I was the first person at my school to see it. I dragged my mum with me. It was badass.
I remember buying a ticket early for an afternoon showing, and strolling past all the kiddies in line who didn't do the same. Felt so good.

Watch Da Birdie said:
And then Bisharp and Golurk are pretty much your anime-inspired Sentai and Giant Robot, which fits since they're right next to each other in the dex.
625Kirikizan.png
623Goruugu.png
That first one kinda reminds me of Pulseman from the early gamefreak game on the megadrive.

Izayoi

Banned
_dementia said:
That first one kinda reminds me of Pulseman from the early gamefreak game on the Megadrive.

http://lightofthestars.com/poke-creators/PulseMan_Ken-Sugimori.gif[img][/QUOTE]
Rehost your image.

udivision said:
I don't like stuff like this:

That is all.

If you're pointing at the picture I think you are then I don't see anything wrong with it and I feel that if you do then you're looking far to hard.

Lopunny is one of the more "sexualized" Pokemon in original GF design so its understandable that people draw her as such. And theres nothing sexed up about the other to o_O

And that artist has a ton of great pokemon art. He has drawn every past Pokemon and is now working on the 5th gen ones.

Ah, Pokemon. Started with Blue as a little kid, and never looked back. Easily my favorite long-running series. I love the sheer variety of Pokemon now; there's something for everyone, and that's my favorite thing about this series!

You can probably guess what my favorite Pokemon is.

Haven't seen a single Pokemon I've disliked. Loved the hell out of Hoenn, too. Varied environments, my favorite (until BW) soundtrack in the series, DAT FLYGON, the sea routes, contests...

Izayoi

Banned
Small Mailman said:
I actually thought the Gen 3 Pokemon were the worst. 1st and 2nd will always have the better style IMO.
I disagree, but I respect your opinion.

BOX8F.jpg

Electivirus said:
Haven't seen a single Pokemon I've disliked. Loved the hell out of Hoenn, too. Varied environments, my favorite (until BW) soundtrack in the series, DAT FLYGON, the sea routes, contests...
You're awesome, by the way.

There are Pokemon that I think are maybe uninspired or boring, but I agree that there aren't any that I genuinely dislike.

Don't get me wrong the Hoenn guys are great, I just think that out of all the generations they seem to have an art style that just doesn't appeal to me. Groudon is still one of the coolest to me.

Izayoi

Banned
Cocopjojo said:
Hi-res of this?
As hi-res as it gets, unfortunately. Straight off of the artist's pixiv page.

Shouldn't you be arguing with Tucker about Black Ops right now?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You can get hi-res if you click the image - that is if you are a pixiv user.

imma gonna name Bisharp KamenRider

Hands up if you created/drew your own Pokemon back then.

In elementary school, I begged my art teacher for us to spend the next few days doing that...

spiritfox

Electivirus said:

FUCK YEAH FLYGON

Garchomps are for losers.

God I love this series. I think I take for granted sometimes just much I enjoyed these games.

Gold/Silver in particular was just mindblowing for me. It was absolutely everything I could have wanted from a Pokemon sequel. Such outstanding atmosphere for a Gameboy game too, man, I almost get misty eyed thinking about those nights spend walking around Johto, entering towns late at night with the lights turned on inside each home.

Azure J

_Alkaline_ said:
God I love this series. I think I take for granted sometimes just much I enjoyed these games.

Gold/Silver in particular was just mindblowing for me. It was absolutely everything I could have wanted from a Pokemon sequel. Such outstanding atmosphere for a Gameboy game too, man, I almost get misty eyed thinking about those nights spend walking around Johto, entering towns late at night with the lights turned on inside each home.

You think that's anything? Try this, when I first got the game (Christmas of the year it came out), my mother made me choose between opening it up first or the Game Boy Color first. Obviously, I picked the game and started going at it with my old veteran GBPocket. I got a decent way in, like maybe first badge and approaching the second gym leader when finally I could play it in then glorious color...

It was so massive for me to see everything in color, and then I saw the day change to night in real time. It was so paramount for my 10 year old self that I instantly restarted the entire game just to see it all from the start. :lol

Also, Blastoise and Arcanine for life. I was the only kid playing Pokemon Red rocking house with a Blastoise in elementary school. :lol

SparksterMeta0 said:
Hands up if you created/drew your own Pokemon back then.

In elementary school, I begged my art teacher for us to spend the next few days doing that...
I did a few :3

I remember making a Skunk that, now that I think about it, seemed like a mix between Mew and Toothless lol!

Now I'm thinking about dragons and remembered this pic.
r9yQP.jpg

Top Bottom