• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

so, she hasnt returned my phone call.. when do I start freaking out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say:

1. Don't call her back.
2. Next time you see her, jokingly give her shit about not calling you back.
3. ....
4. Have all the sex.

Thats a pretty fail safe model to use.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Don't talk to girls that you "like" on AIM. It just makes situations like this mess with your head even worse, and plus if they see you on they'll know for sure you're at home ;)

Why don't you just do what worked in the first place?

Ronok

OMG, I really hope you don't take all this bs advice......... Whatever you do don't make it look like you are ignoring her or whatever, you do this and she will forget about you. You don't want to know her and she will get to know someone else. You just screwed yourself. I know you might want to take advice from all these "gangsta" people from GAF but really they are feeding you a load of crap.

Infact, do whatever you feel like. :-/ You will know what the best option was when the time comes.

"Don't talk to girls that you "like" on AIM. It just makes situations like this mess with your head even worse, and plus if they see you on they'll know for sure you're at home ;)"

OMG look at the amazing advice you are getting WOOOH! ¬_¬

The Experiment said:
Girls don't call guys unles she finds him really, really attractive or is famous. It just doesn't happen.

This is the truth. Hence, the phonecall last night from a girl I dig. She called and SAID she was coming over. Didn't ask, just said "I'm coming over." Now that's the sort of woman I like. I haven't called her ONCE in the time I've known her -- just sending the occasional IM's. She's called me numerous times, one time begging me to go to party with her. But, Real Time was on and I wasn't getting up...

keftwo.gif

goomba

Banned
Hah

Was reading this thread this morning, been hoping to hear from a girl for last couple days (girl from the thread i made the other day).

Id been waiting , tempted to txt or call then BAM an email from her, YES. :D

Ronok

"Wooooo, we have a TOUGH GUY!! Watch out!"

Please note "gangsta" was used in a mocking tone...... :-/

Are you denying the need for the inclusion of this term in such a mocking tone?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Of course, its possible she is still being nice to me and not hurt my feelings.. but I would think she would say she is going out of town for sure (even if she might not) if she was trying to let me down easy. Generally women do a pretty good job of being nice, but still shooting you down completely.

I dunno, does her response sound genuine or like a blow off?

Loki

Count of Concision
Incognito said:
This is the truth. Hence, the phonecall last night from a girl I dig. She called and SAID she was coming over. Didn't ask, just said "I'm coming over." Now that's the sort of woman I like. I haven't called her ONCE in the time I've known her -- just sending the occasional IM's. She's called me numerous times, one time begging me to go to party with her. But, Real Time was on and I wasn't getting up...

:lol

I like how you segue from a comment on the post you quoted ("This is the truth") into the rest of your paragraph, which is basically a roundabout way of stating "yeah, I'm the shit". ;) :D How very robertsanesque of you. :p

Ronok

Depends what her final answer is I guess. :-/ I wouldn't have expected her to leave a possibility open at all if she really didn't like you though..... Then again, she might just want to go with you as a friend. Blah, next time you ask her out make it clear you are asking her on a date...... Her reaction to that will say a lot more. >.<

StoOgE

Ronok said:
I wouldn't have expected her to leave a possibility open at all if she really didn't like you though.....

thats my thinking. But, even if she does just want to go as friends (assuming we go) I can read her at the party pretty easily.. if she sits right next to me and/or hangs on me its on.. plus, I can grope her and later blame it on liquor if she doesnt like it.

Dilbert

StoOgE said:
I think it sounds genuine -- I get plenty of pressure to go home around major holidays as well, and based on your first email, the girl hasn't been faking her interest in you, though she's probably confused as hell (and possibly doing some light game-playing with you) because you're aren't taking the hint and asking her out formally or otherwise letting her you that you are DEFINITELY interested.

If I were you, I would tell her, "I understand that you'd like to go home for Easter -- family is important! If our plans don't work out this weekend, that's cool, but I would definitely like to ask you out for the following weekend. How does ____ sound?" Hopefully she will be happy that you're sounding a more definitive note of being interested (without being unattractively mushy) and knock off any mindgames she might have been trying to get your interest.

Finally, when you DO get to go out with her....seal the deal, would ya? Man up and recognize a done deal and a good thing. :)

EDIT: Get drunk and "grope her?" That's utterly charming.

pops619

I don't want you to think this is definite, but it's looking like a blow off to me. I've had a situation like this where a girl said she'd call me when she knew what was up, this happened a couple times and she never did. Don't get too pushy. If she never contacts you, just realize what that means and move on. What's she's saying could be legit, but watch out here.

aoi tsuki

StoOgE said:
yeah.. she got on AIM so I asked her if she got my voicemail. She got it sometime this morning, but wasnt going to call me until she figured out her schedule. She is working on Friday right now, but is trying to get off so she can go home for Easter (leave on Thursday).. but if she does work (i.e. stays in town) she said she definitly wants to go to the party and even said she would call me sometime Friday when she figured out what was up. More than likely she will have to work (because I dont see anyone covering for her at the last minute)..

I decided just to talk to her again because if she really is intrested in me, and what we've been doing has been dating, I dont think she is going to care if I talk to her twice to see if she wants to go to the party. I mean, I do it too, but I really think guys tend to overanalyze how they come off. I mean, I wouldnt care if some girl I liked seemed a little desperate.

Of course, its possible she is still being nice to me and not hurt my feelings.. but I would think she would say she is going out of town for sure (even if she might not) if she was trying to let me down easy. Generally women do a pretty good job of being nice, but still shooting you down completely.

1. Go out with friends
2. Have a good time
3. Repeat on a nightly basis.

StoOgE

pops619 said:

I don't want you to think this is definite, but it's looking like a blow off to me. I've had a situation like this where a girl said she'd call me when she knew what was up, this happened a couple times and she never did. Don't get too pushy. If she never contacts you, just realize what that means and move on. What's she's saying could be legit, but watch out here.

yeah, I know.. Ive had actual girlfriends break up with me with the "allways busy" method until I figured out they were blowing me off. This is her first time pulling this on me, and she is trying to get off work to go home, so I know that much is true. Plus, I would think she would come up with a more bulletproof excuse than her work schedule (something I have access to), and when my ex broke up with me this way it was never a "I may be able to do something with you on that day" it was allways "there is no chance, Im too busy"... but who knows. More or less if she doesnt call me Friday its over. Im going to be at a party with at least 8 single women that I know of... so, I can get over her in a hurry there.

andthebeatgoeson

I know what you mean Stooge. Just last weekend, this stripper like totally gave me her number (true story) and I actually called it (true story). She was all over me (actually, true story) and let me suck the nips (I ain't lying). So I get the bitches number but I don't know if I was too drunk to reliably enter it into my phone (yup, true story) or if she's just not returning my call (Tis true). What should I do? I still think I have a chance. I mean, why wouldn't a stripper be honest about calling her? I totally have a chance.

Even if I have to pay cuz, you know, with ALL chicks, you end up paying one way or another. AM I RITE?

*all previously said statements are based on the real life of the dapper Mr Skinny*

In other news, my favorite strip joint has successfully turned sluttier as I was palmin the ass all 5 songs, got up close to strip nips and if it was a private room, she could have talked me into getting my second paid professional.

StoOgE

skinnyrattler said:
Even if I have to pay cuz, you know, with ALL chicks, you end up paying one way or another. AM I RITE?

be carefull, I got banned for similar statements.
:lol

Azala

I would have to say she's genuine, but if an opportunity arises to clarify your interest you might consider taking it to end all doubt about ambiguity.

To answer the original question, I would have seen no problem with calling her again. Just keep it casual and not demanding or clingy. I agree that a lot of the guys here are thinking too much and/or playing games too much. Personally I'm not really all that interested in a guy that seems to follow some rules about how long he goes between talking to me. And 5 days is just way too long. The potential at your age to have moved on or gotten a tempting offer is just too great.

StoOgE

good news :D

Her away message says she is going to go on a shopping spree before work on Friday :D So, she's not going home over the weekend... I dont know if that is her way of telling me or not (she has done passive stuff like that before, like accept invitations Ive given her on her blog or on her away message).

So, she told me if she is in town she will go to the party.. and now she has put it in an easy place for me to find that she is staying in town over the weekend. Of course, if I dont get a call now Im gonna be really pissed, because I'll know for sure she is in town and avoiding me.

Just to get this out of the way - AIM sucks. Especially when it comes to shit like this. I'm a fan of talking to someone face to face.

Just don't try to define the relationship (by asking direct questions).

I agree with this nugget of information. Girls hate it when men know anything about relationships, including defining them. Your best bet is to play it cool. If she didn't call you back, it doesn't mean she doesn't like you. I already explained why but remember, girls smell desperation a mile away. Its like their sixth sense: The ability to sense a desperate guy.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
StoOgE said:
yeah.. she got on AIM so I asked her if she got my voicemail. She got it sometime this morning, but wasnt going to call me until she figured out her schedule. She is working on Friday right now, but is trying to get off so she can go home for Easter (leave on Thursday).. but if she does work (i.e. stays in town) she said she definitly wants to go to the party and even said she would call me sometime Friday when she figured out what was up. More than likely she will have to work (because I dont see anyone covering for her at the last minute)..

I decided just to talk to her again because if she really is intrested in me, and what we've been doing has been dating, I dont think she is going to care if I talk to her twice to see if she wants to go to the party. I mean, I do it too, but I really think guys tend to overanalyze how they come off. I mean, I wouldnt care if some girl I liked seemed a little desperate.

Be more confident. She likes you, she wants to go with you, but she has a genuine reason for not being sure if she can. If she can't go to the party this weekend, tell her that she HAS TO do something with you when she returns. Girls can tell when you are unsure of yourself, and for the most part they don't like it. Be a man, that's what most women are looking for.

Edit: Now that you know that she's going to be in town, realize that she will definately go with with you. Stop worrying, and buy some new clothes, and a pack of condoms for the weekend.

StoOgE

yeah, Im actually feeling alot better about myself. The thing is, Im reasonably attractive and dont actually have a hard time picking up girls when Im drunk.. but when Im sober and trying to get an actual girlfriend I overanalyze EVERYTHING that happens.

NLB2

Banned
StoOgE said:
yeah, Im actually feeling alot better about myself. The thing is, Im reasonably attractive and dont actually have a hard time picking up girls when Im drunk.. but when Im sober and trying to get an actual girlfriend I overanalyze EVERYTHING that happens.
Why would you let what a woman thinks of you affect how you think of yourself? You are not the ubermensch :p.

tetsuoxb

StoOgE said:

Dont take this the wrong way, because I really hope things work out for you.... but if I spent as much time as you do second guessing every single thing in a relationship id drive myself and her crazy.

To add some common sense to the cocky funny:

If you want to call her. Call her. Use common sense.
If you call her too much, and it freaks her out, then fuck it.
If you want to go out on a date with her, ask her out on a date.
If you want to send her a note on AIM, send her a note on AIM.

This thread (and all of the similar threads lately) really frustrate me because it is attempting to simplify something that is not simple into some kinda method. Just because cubsfan is successful doesnt mean you can act like cubsfan and get a girl.

My advice:

Be 100% absolutely yourself. Be 100% absolutely confident in yourself. Use common sense in your dealings with others. If that doesnt work, then dont worry about it. The worrying/second guessing is precisely because you are tying to do something that doesnt come naturally, and rejecting what comes naturally for a girl is dumb.

StoOgE said:
Her away message says she is going to go on a shopping spree before work on Friday :D So, she's not going home over the weekend... I dont know if that is her way of telling me or not (she has done passive stuff like that before, like accept invitations Ive given her on her blog or on her away message).

Ignore some of that 'passive stuff', don't act as if you read her blog everyday and don't sign on to AIM so often (block her if you must). You need to give the impression that you got a life.

Man if I knew some girl had a blog, I'd tease her constantly about it*. We all know they're cries for attention and the fact that she left messages for you on it was probably to let other people that read her blog know that she "has a life." But you're no better since you actually read her blog, I mean comon, if the best thing you got to do is read some girl's blog than...do I even need to finish this sentence?

*SO HOW'S YOUR BLOG? DID YOU TELL EVERYONE HOW YOU FAILED AT YOUR ATTEMPTED SUICIDE? WHAT'S YOUR CURRENT MOOD?

skinnyrattler said:
Why would you get banned for true statements? Seriously, either Steak and Shrimp or $50 straight cash homey. It's hard to deny the reality.
In the words of Ras
Ras Kass the intelligent misogynist said:
1 For The Money, 2 For the Show, 3 For the Ladies but all they wanted was 1

Guys be trying to get laid, Girls trying to be payed, somebody's going to get played, right?

peedi

Banned
StoOgE said:

Why would she wait 'til Friday to call you? If she is interested in you, she'd call you TOMORROW. Hell, she'd call you tonight. You sound desperate. Give it up. She's not feeling you. Girls aren't as complicated as some guys make them out to be.

If there were interest on her part, you wouldn't have made this thread.

peedi

Banned
StoOgE said:
good news :D

So, she told me if she is in town she will go to the party.. and now she has put it in an easy place for me to find that she is staying in town over the weekend. Of course, if I dont get a call now Im gonna be really pissed, because I'll know for sure she is in town and avoiding me.

:lol Maybe it's because I regularly score with beautiful women, but you sound outright scary. Freaky. Her "away message" has nothing to do with you.

peedi said:
:lol Maybe it's because I regularly score with beautiful women, but you sound outright scary. Freaky. Her "away message" has nothing to do with you.
good point. Re-read my post, you should show that you have more of a life going on and not pay so much attention to a single girl. It's not so hard. Stop "over-analysing" and stop freaking out.

For example, when she was writting those messages for you on her blog, she wanted to see if you were actually "desperate" enough to answer them because she didn't want to seem needy and actually CALL YOU so she wrote in her personal blog, which you read for whatever reason. All of this translates to -> this guy is eating off the palm of my hand and all my girlfriends can see it on my blog. teehee.

Now that you've asked her out again she's acting all aloof and telling herself "I'm flattered this guy wants to be with me, I guess I'll let him dangle to see how badly he really wants me, hell I might not even like him that much, I just like the attention."

Seriously, don't read girls' blogs (or at the VERY least, dont let them know you do), it's basically telling them (and me) that you have no life. The worsed thing in this situation is that I personally feel that she might have less of a life than you and yet she still manages to do things like this. I mean blogs, GET REAL.

Azala

Just because you are successful at getting dates while also using lame ass rules doesn't mean it's the rules you can thank; it may be in spite of the rules. It may be because of other factors: their level of attraction to you, desperation, your reputation, your looks, the type of girls in question and what they are looking for. Whatever. Likewise, just because you fail doesn't mean it's because you didn't play games.

Playing games will only catch you the sort of girls that would respond to them, and while some of them may be cute, they're also usually troubled, insecure and have lots of baggage.

ToxicAdam

Azala said:
Playing games will only catch you the sort of girls that would respond to them, and while some of them may be cute, they're also usually troubled, insecure and have lots of baggage.

Which would also guarantee they are AWESOME in bed.

From someone who has dated psychotic women in the past .. they are great in the sack. You just have to be able to break away from them without permanent scars.

Razoric

Banned
Glad to see everything working out... about the initial subject though (of calling a girl again right away), let me share a short story with you that shows you how much it turns a girl off if you call "too much"

My friend was in love with this girl in our acting class (circa 2002). Throughout the semester he was thinking of a way to go up to her and ask her out... by mid-semester she was really cool with everyone and we had a blast (seriously, acting class is like going back to elementary school during recess). Towards the end of the semester I started dating a friend of hers and low and behold she told me that the girl my friend liked, liked him back. Well the acting class was done but he did manage to get her number.

Skip forward a week.

--- CALL #1 ---
My friend calls her, gets her roommate and she says, "oh Mandy (the girl) is at Spanish club, give her a call back in a few hours"

--- CALL #2 ---
He calls her back later, no one answers so he leaves a message.

--- CALL #3 ---
One week later: My friend and I were going bar-hopping figured it would a good time to call her again, kinda get a group thing going. She answers, says "I wish you wouldve called sooner, I told my boss I'd work tonight and tomorrow morning (maybe BS, maybe not). "Call me tomorrow and we'll do something."

--- FINAL CALL ---
The next day we are going bar hopping again :D :D and he gives her a buzz. No answer, he leaves a message and his cell number again.

Weeks went by with no word, no call, nothing. I finally ran into my ex-girlfriend (whom was friends with her) and I asked her what the deal was. She said that she liked my friend but was turned off because he seemed a little too stalkerish for her. WTF???

Please tell me that's not fucked up. lol

Boogie

Azala said:
Just because you are successful at getting dates while also using lame ass rules doesn't mean it's the rules you can thank; it may be in spite of the rules. It may be because of other factors: their level of attraction to you, desperation, your reputation, your looks, the type of girls in question and what they are looking for. Whatever. Likewise, just because you fail doesn't mean it's because you didn't play games.

I'd like to believe your analysis, Azala, but I'm having more than a tiny amount of difficulty finding women who don't care about such games.

LakeEarth

I've gone through this shit before. If she says she's busy, she doesn't care that much. If she cared, she'd make time for you.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Boogie said:
I'd like to believe your analysis, Azala, but I'm having more than a tiny amount of difficulty finding women who don't care about such games.

You're getting better at these threads

Boogie

Cubsfan23 said:
You're getting better at these threads

Wow, that's great. I'm so glad that after these many years all of my hard work is paying off to make me better at making cynical replies in relationship threads. :p

Azala

Boogie said:

Ouch, what's the age group and social circle in question here? What kind/type of girl are you going for boogie?

Razoric said:
Glad to see everything working out... about the initial subject though (of calling a girl again right away), let me share a short story with you that shows you how much it turns a girl off if you call "too much"

My friend was in love with this girl in our acting class (circa 2002). Throughout the semester he was thinking of a way to go up to her and ask her out... by mid-semester she was really cool with everyone and we had a blast (seriously, acting class is like going back to elementary school during recess). Towards the end of the semester I started dating a friend of hers and low and behold she told me that the girl my friend liked, liked him back. Well the acting class was done but he did manage to get her number.

Skip forward a week.

--- CALL #1 ---
My friend calls her, gets her roommate and she says, "oh Mandy (the girl) is at Spanish club, give her a call back in a few hours"

--- CALL #2 ---
He calls her back later, no one answers so he leaves a message.

--- CALL #3 ---
One week later: My friend and I were going bar-hopping figured it would a good time to call her again, kinda get a group thing going. She answers, says "I wish you wouldve called sooner, I told my boss I'd work tonight and tomorrow morning (maybe BS, maybe not). "Call me tomorrow and we'll do something."

--- FINAL CALL ---
The next day we are going bar hopping again :D :D and he gives her a buzz. No answer, he leaves a message and his cell number again.

Weeks went by with no word, no call, nothing. I finally ran into my ex-girlfriend (whom was friends with her) and I asked her what the deal was. She said that she liked my friend but was turned off because he seemed a little too stalkerish for her. WTF???

Please tell me that's not fucked up. lol
This is a nice story, you guys should take notes.

Boogie

Azala said:
Ouch, what's the age group and social circle in question here? What kind/type of girl are you going for boogie?

Social circle: I'm not sure what sort of answer to give here. I had a small but tight group of friends from high school, but we don't get to see each other that much anymore. At school, I've got a few friends in residence, who are good people, but we don't go out much, mainly just hanging out and doing whatever in residence. If you meant the question as, "do you go out to clubs all the time" or something like that, the answer is no.

kind/type of girl: I've always had trouble with this question as well. I hope this doesn't sound shamelessly flattering, but I guess I want a woman who is like how you represent yourself here on the forum, Azala. I dunno, I want someone who's not just looking for someone who will give them charming lines. I want someone who is mature, and can like me, and be understanding in spite of the fact that I don't know how dating's supposed to work. I guess I want someone who will like me, not someone who likes what I'm doing to attract her.

Okay, I'm not sure if that made any sense, I'm really not very coherent when given that question.

Well Boogie, if that's your kind of girl, Cubsfan "How to date" book-like tips won't be of any help. You just need to let it go. Do your own things. There are no recipe to fall in love. There are to have sexe, to have friends, but love is chemistry between two people. You can't control that, nor make it happen.

Diablos

This girl is not worth your time. Don't be a retard like my friend. Forget her. And if she calls you - I don't care if it's tomorrow or a month from now - you BETTER say you are doing something else - even if you aren't. Don't ever make yourself seem avaliable to this girl, especially after she played you like this. If you do, you'll look even more petty and weak to her and thus she will think you lack confidence. The result if you give in? You take her out, she appreciates it, but you'll never have a chance in hell with this girl. It's already over, walk away.

Another stupid girl playing a stupid game. Just remember that. You seriously wanna be in a relationship with someone who is this disrespectful? No.

Azala

Diablos said:
This girl is not worth your time. Don't be a retard like my friend. Forget her. And if she calls you - I don't care if it's tomorrow or a month from now - you BETTER say you are doing something else - even if you aren't. Don't ever make yourself seem avaliable to this girl, especially after she played you like this. If you do, you'll look even more petty and weak to her and thus she will think you lack confidence. The result if you give in? You take her out, she appreciates it, but you'll never have a chance in hell with this girl. It's already over, walk away.

Another stupid girl playing a stupid game. Just remember that. You seriously wanna be in a relationship with someone who is this disrespectful? No.

I would ask, do you want to be that disrespectful and dishonest yourself? If you really feel a girl is playing games, then isn't it better not to play them as well? Is it really that difficult to say "I'm sorry I was interested but then you did x and meant y clearly to play a silly game and I'm just not interested in that sort of relationship?" I'd rather keep my dignity and self respect and maybe just maybe if a guy responded to her that honestly instead of perpetuating the games she might grow up and realize it's bad to play them.

Diablos

Azala said:
I would ask, do you want to be that disrespectful and dishonest yourself? If you really feel a girl is playing games, then isn't it better not to play them as well? Is it really that difficult to say "I'm sorry I was interested but then you did x and meant y clearly to play a silly game and I'm just not interested in that sort of relationship?" I'd rather keep my dignity and self respect and maybe just maybe if a guy responded to her that honestly instead of perpetuating the games she might grow up and realize it's bad to play them.
Yeah, you can approach the girl and say those things, that's fine. But either way, walk away. You aren't playing any game whatsoever. If you say something and back off, you're being honest. If you say nothing and back off, you still have nothing to feel guilty about. She'll figure out that you caught on. It's not like you did anything wrong. Backing off from some girl that's trying to play you isn't "playing a game," it's being smart. Remember: She's hurting his feelings, he's trying to be a nice guy. Unless he flips out and seriously tells her off or something, he's not going to look like an ass. All he can do is tell her how he realizes she isn't interested and is also avoiding confrontation and leave it behind. But, again, not saying that and still ignoring her is not anything he should consider player-like. She ditched him, remember? The ball's in her court, and she put a knife through it and tossed it out the window. :p Game over, she called it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom