• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So that new PPG show is really, REALLY bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie OD

It's really not that bad. I think it'll find its way.

Teen Titans Go is one of my favorite shows though. The hate that it gets is annoying although expected. It's really really well done, however. They poke fun at the fact that the nerds hate them all the time too, it's great.

Seriously what an amazing show.

I turned around on it when I saw the Robin II easter egg. Any kids cartoon that's able to reference that storyline has some balls.

Exodust

Banned
Now here's a sentence I would never have thought I write: Bubbles says "No me gusta" while making the face, nose and all. And that's just one example. Nothing dates a show faster then using memes because you can't write genuine humor for shit.
Then there's the fact Ms. Bellum was taken out because she was considered too sexy even though she was great character in the older show, and then they have Blossom and Bubbles twerking.

CfwtyVNXIAA-1xD.jpg:large

cHaotix8

Man, TTG is fine. Tired of people hating on it just cause it's different from the original series. It's just a different type of show.

Haven't had a chance to check out the new PPG but looks like I'm not missing anything. It's a shame how far a Cartoon Cartoon original has fallen. Hopefully they don't do the same with Samurai Jack.

SCChappy

Banned
TTG is a great show and I loved the original.

The problem with this is not that it's using memes, it's using insanely outdated memes that were never funny to begin with and not being at all clever about it.

PSqueak

Banned
I'm a storyboard artist, also Canada.

It's not your fault if it sucks then, its obvious the problems with this show are writing related, and the unicorn episode proved it, the writers are so out of touch they patted themselves in the back for that trainwreck before even airing it.

(Also, we need a Gumball OT.)

That we do. Recent episodes have been so good, i really liked the recent-ish Jamie episode, nearly died when she went "Since you're darwin's boyfriend, that makes you my boyfriend too!".

And i like that Gumball keeps imagining himself as a wife through the series.

Bio-Frost

Man, TTG is fine. Tired of people hating on it just cause it's different from the original series. It's just a different type of show.

Haven't had a chance to check out the new PPG but looks like I'm not missing anything. It's a shame how far a Cartoon Cartoon original has fallen. Hopefully they don't do the same with Samurai Jack.

Cartoon Network has nothing to do with Jack, that's Adult Swim/Toonami. They are considered separate channels.

So why doesn't this show have the original voice actors?
I was hoping RebelTaxi would do a video on this but this will do for now.

http://youtu.be/Lg-q38DzFUs
Fucking Lunatics Unleashed
Powerpuff Girls must be some product some focus test group. Instead of show about Superheroes who happen to be little girls it just seems like a show about little girls with powers.
Edit : They also turned down the over the top violence. Soft

tkscz

So why doesn't this show have the original voice actors?

Fucking Lunatics Unleashed
Powerpuff Girls must be some product some focus test group. Instead of show about Superheroes who happen to be little girls it just seems like a show about little girls with powers.
Edit : They also turned down the over the top violence. Soft

It becomes more evident from the PR of the show. Constantly trying to say how "progressive" they are and the show is (the reason they got rid of Ms. Bellum was he body regardless of her basically running Townsville and being the most rounded and respected characters of the old series). As if progressiveness is a bandwagon to hop on in the wake of Adventure Time and Steven Universe. Neither the writing nor PR feel genuine.

Honestly I tried to give it a fair chance, but it kept getting worse and worse and worse.
This is what is making our kids dumb.

It becomes more evident from the PR of the show. Constantly trying to say how "progressive" they are and the show is (the reason they got rid of Ms. Bellum was he body regardless of her basically running Townsville and being the most rounded and respected characters of the old series). As if progressiveness is a bandwagon to hop on in the wake of Adventure Time and Steven Universe. Neither the writing nor PR feel genuine.
Got rid of Ms Bellum but twerking is fine? Whatever CN.
Edit : Also for a show that promotes girl power why did turn down the violence and have less action scenes?

I was hoping RebelTaxi would do a video on this but this will do for now.

http://youtu.be/Lg-q38DzFUs

This video is my first exposure to stuff from the show that hasn't already been commented about. On top of everything else, censoring the hits for the Powerpuff Girls completely ruins the show for me. Part of what made the original show great was that it was three cute little girls who straight up beat the shit out of villains. No cutesy storylines or powers, just straight-up punches to the face and kicks to the stomach. The "Girl Power" aspect of it was that they were still girly but they punched, kicked, and hit harder than anyone else. You can wear a skirt, a bow, and have long hair, and still punch someone's teeth out.

It was a comedy cartoon with legit action and fighting in episodes; that's part of the reason why it had a cross-gender appeal as well. Boys couldn't knock the show for being girly when Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup spent their super-heroing punching bad guys.

Zaventem

^ Yeah, it's crazy in my HS we used to discuss that show with no stigma. Helps the whole time slot around that era had good cartoons too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So they took Ms. Bellum out of the series because she was apparently too sexy......only to have an episode where Blossom & Bubbles (two kindergartners) start twerking.

Nick-Young-confused.gif

Got up to the end of season 4 on Netflix. The show is starting to take a dive. I've noticed this seems to happen a lot for shows once their art style changes.

It's OK... not as good as the original for me but I saw my cousins really liking it the other day so I guess the show is getting success with their target audience.

I don't really like is the excuse to not include Ms. Bellum tho.

ogWWikd.gif

Yeah, the excuse is really shit. It reeks of misaimed feminism, lol. Instead of elevating the character (while also misunderstanding the purpose of her being in that role in the first place), they just eliminate her.

Meffer

I don't remember much of the later seasons but didn't they switch to Flash?
I believe so. But it certainly used it better then this show. Also another error in the new show I came across, don't have the link though: In one scene Buttercup says Blossom's line and not only that, they forgot to put in Blossom's hair (her ponytail).
Budget=Literally peanuts.

Ran rp

Got up to the end of season 4 on Netflix. The show is starting to take a dive. I've noticed this seems to happen a lot for shows once their art style changes.

yep. watching this, dexter's lab, and spongebob and it's the same deal for all of them in the later seasons. worse writing, worse pacing, worse voice acting, stiffer poses and animation... bleh.

and ppg in particular just looks worse. the colors are more vibrant but they're also garish and the shots overall are less harmonious than the earlier seasons.

PSqueak

Banned

Season 4 wast the one that had that really weird episode with the make up villian, no?

I remember watching it and it was just kind of odd, couldn't help but feel there was a reference i was not getting.

Yeah, the excuse is really shit. It reeks of misaimed feminism, lol. Instead of elevating the character (while also misunderstanding the purpose of her being in that role in the first place), they just eliminate her.

The whole removal of Miss Bellum is weird in a lot of ways.

If the sexy lady who represents the ridiculousness of the male gaze and trivializing of women's abilities clashes with the MO of the show, what does that say about them keeping HIM?
An effeminate creepy crossdressing ambiguously gay devil man who was created in a less LGBT-friendly time and is essentially the embodiment of all evil in that universe.
You'd think he would have been the first one on the chopping block if they were looking to make the series more progressive.
:/

The whole removal of Miss Bellum is weird in a lot of ways.

If the sexy lady who represents the ridiculousness of the male gaze and trivializing of women's abilities clashes with the MO of the show, what does that say about them keeping HIM?
An effeminate creepy crossdressing ambiguously gay devil man who was created in a less LGBT-friendly time and is essentially the embodiment of all evil in that universe.
You'd think he would have been the first one on the chopping block if they were looking to make the series more progressive.
:/
It's rather befuddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom