• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So you want to know about Ultron? No strings attached, I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Age of Ultron started off really well I thought. Really cool concept and I thought the first two or three issues or whatever was a lot of fun. At that point I thought it might be one of my favorite comic runs ever.

Then I read the rest of it. Total let down. Still enjoyed it for what it was, though.

Sesha

Ultron is one of my favourite superhero villains. I love the crazy villains the most. Joker, Green Goblin, Ultron, all super whacked out of their brains (or AIs in Ultron's case) and I love it.

I had such hopes for AoU in the beginning. With all the great character runs we've had the past few years like Thor, Hawkeye, Daredevil, etc., I was hoping we'd end up with the definitive modern Ultron story. Guess I still have to wait longer.

Yeah as someone who really hated that little stint Ultron had in Bendis' Mighty Avengers, Age of Ultron was a huge letdown. At least we still have Annihilation: Conquest.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So he's just Marvel's version of Braniac?

...isn't braniac an alien genius with lots of genius kids, i know the character is old i mostly know Vril Dox, I dont think Braniac is AI ..though he was like alien evil genius like Mentor. Not that Mentor is evil.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
So wait, how did/does this guy keep coming back? It seems that he gets destroyed too quickly for a backup sequence to be successful so that he could return for another go at killing things. Does he just materialize from the internet or have backup computers hidden somewhere?

He has lots of bodies, he's a program distributed amongst lots of physical incarnations.

Nibel

GvSbDli.png

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/525361046966771714

Marvel reading GAF confirmed

And thanks for the OP - as someone who loves the movies but has otherwise no idea about Marvel's universe, this is pretty informative. :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
...isn't braniac an alien genius with lots of genius kids, i know the character is old i mostly know Vril Dox, I dont think Braniac is AI ..though he was like alien evil genius like Mentor. Not that Mentor is evil.

Brainiac is an android.

Sesha

Sometimes I dream that Capcom made MvC4 and that Ultron and GG made it in along with Gene and Ryu from BoF, then I wake up, and the world feels a bit cold.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I like that apparently he was IMMEDIATELY creepy as shit

"no need to plug me in, Daddy... I'm alive... just like you..."

jesus

Sojgat

I remember the first comic I ever read that featured Ultron, Daredevil beat the shit out of him with a stick.

DD276-Stick02.jpg

I've always found it hard to take him seriously.

Oh please, remember HotU Thanos? That's even above IG Thanos

And a few years later he was nerfed to hell

Marvel must have realized they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the OG Beyonder. The guy was damn near the god of Marvel before the One Above All. Everyone was beneath him on the power cosmic scale; all the abstracts; that he could kill and resurrect Death itself and even he was even above the Living Tribunal, it was insane. It was something ridiculous like the then known Marvel Universe was only the equivalent of a drop of water in a vast ocean to what he is.

Before Avengers releases we'll get Rage of Ultron as well right? Written by Remender.

March or April yeah, with art by Opena...can't wait, it looks and sounds awesome.

avengers-rage-of-ultron-103549.jpg

Ultron taking over Titan...and a potential match-up between Thanos and Ultron. Remender and Opena re-united for the first time since Uncanny X-Force...

Rage of Ultron is pretty much my most anticipated book of 2015.

ROA-8-610x350.jpg

Sesha

ultron with opena goodness

barnieveins.gif

Remender and Opena back together, doing a Ultron story? How did I not know about this?! Looks like I may get my wish fulfilled after all. I don't want to get my hopes up, but man, Remender/Opena on Ultron, I so want this to be good. Art looks gorgeous, naturally. The details, though scarce, sound good too. Hope it's not too much ultimate robot fighting though.

barnieveins.gif

Remender and Opena back together, doing a Ultron story? How did I not know about this?! Looks like I may get my wish fulfilled after all. I don't want to get my hopes up, but man, Remender/Opena on Ultron, I so want this to be good. Art looks gorgeous, naturally. The details, though scarce, sound good too. Hope it's not too much ultimate robot fighting though.

it's an original graphic novel coming in march :)

Flashback? So they aren't breaking Pym's antivirus yet?

That scene appears to be a flashback, but we know that Ultron does appear on Titan and take it over.

Remender said he wants to re-examine the Pym/Ultron relationship for a new generation of readers so it will probably go deep into their history.

“This continuity goes back so far at this point that we’re expecting people to understand things that we as fanatical industry folk have known because we read comics for 20 or 30 years,” he says. “That context and the heart of that relationship between Hank and his son Ultron has not been reformed and shone a light upon in quite some time. So the opening of the story takes place in the past, during the [Roger] Stern/[John] Byrne era of AVENGERS in a snippet where they deal with an Ultron and the choices that Hank has to make are unique to the history of Ultron while damning them in the future. So what we see is an untold story of Ultron that basically redefines who he is and his relationship with Hank and the father/son dynamic as well [as] the grand question: Is artificial intelligence life?”

The present-day story will involve Starfox and Remender's post-Axis Avengers squad.

What happened to The Beyonder? Break it down for me like someone who hasn't read comic books in years...

They retconned his powers and resulted in a heavy nerf (turns out he was an incomplete Cosmic Cube), then they nerfed him again and now he's an inhuman and a mutant, still more powerful than Earth heroes but he's no longer as powerful as before

Ophelion

To clear up the Brainiac thing, there are at least 3 versions of Brainiac that have ben canon at various points. No, sorry. Forgot New 52. At least four.

1. OG green skinned Brainiac who is the ancestor of Brainiac 5 from Legion.

2. At the end of the bronze age, they came out with the killer android Brainiac who tools around the universe in a giant skull spaceship.

3. At the beginning of the iron age/ dark age, Brainiac was reimagined as a carnival psychic? Or something? I don't remember, I haven't read those issues in ages.

4. It turned out the psychic was being controlled by an alien from another world. Psychicly.

5. They bring back the killer android Brainiac, probably because of how Brainiac was treated on Superman TAS.

6. Because of Geoff Johns' hard on for the silver age, they reveal that the android Brainiacs are all just drones controlled by the real brainiac who looks like the classic green skinned Brainiac again.

7. The new 52 happens. Brainiac is the badguy at the end of the first arc of Action Comics. He looks like a cyborg centipede alien...thing? It is still green though.

Needless to say, when it comes to Brainiac being kind of like Ultron, it really depends on the year. Even then, they only kind of look alike. Their character motivations are wildly, wildly different.

Dryk

In addition to the original Busiek version I also recommend people check out the Ultron arc in the first season of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They did a fantastic job adapting the story and that version of Ultron is really well-done and imposing.
It also seems to be similar to the movie Ultron, so it might be a good place to start.

What does it really matter? I love MCU movies, but good villains is something they just don't provide.

Bets are high he will just be smooth voiced metal menace used as a catalyst to introduce 3 new Avengers, maybe kill one of the original gang, cause some other havok and then be killed off in a silly fashion before he's allowed to be interesting.

Knowing more about his great comic history, will only make this hurt more.

Slayven

To clear up the Brainiac thing, there are at least 3 versions of Brainiac that have ben canon at various points. No, sorry. Forgot New 52. At least four.

1. OG green skinned Brainiac who is the ancestor of Brainiac 5 from Legion.

2. At the end of the bronze age, they came out with the killer android Brainiac who tools around the universe in a giant skull spaceship.

3. At the beginning of the iron age/ dark age, Brainiac was reimagined as a carnival psychic? Or something? I don't remember, I haven't read those issues in ages.

4. It turned out the psychic was being controlled by an alien from another world. Psychicly.

5. They bring back the killer android Brainiac, probably because of how Brainiac was treated on Superman TAS.

6. Because of Geoff Johns' hard on for the silver age, they reveal that the android Brainiacs are all just drones controlled by the real brainiac who looks like the classic green skinned Brainiac again.

7. The new 52 happens. Brainiac is the badguy at the end of the first arc of Action Comics. He looks like a cyborg centipede alien...thing? It is still green though.

Needless to say, when it comes to Brainiac being kind of like Ultron, it really depends on the year. Even then, they only kind of look alike. Their character motivations are wildly, wildly different.
I am glad you did that, I didn't have the strength. But I did like Brainac 13

Now lets get extreme!!

zWcyDuf.jpg

Well yeah, with the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos is basically God. He can snap his fingers and kill anybody, or everybody. Or change the nature of reality. He could cancel DC Comics titles if he wanted to. Or become part of the real world outside of comic books. He's aware of other realities, and could change Happy Days so Fonzie dies in season one if he wanted a laugh.

Without the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos is still completely leagues about Ultron, as well as basically anyone else outside of personified abstract concepts in the MU like Death and Eternity (or Galactus). And even against "people" like them, well... he'll figure something out.

Well, dang......can anyone outclass Thanos with infinity gauntlet?

Brainiac is an android.

Legion bullshit is complex to say the least.

it's not hard. pre-Crisis Brainiac was an android. post Crisis Braniaiac was a stage magician named Milton Fine. Brainiac then inhabited his mind and took over his body and morphed into a proper Coluan body. then some time passed and he was injured in a battle and he transferred his mind into a Robot body and that's that.

he has a son named Vril Dox who is a level 12 intelllect who became leader of the L.E.G.I.O.N( Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network.)
this is 1,000 years before Legion of Super Heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom