• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something is up with my Xbox One, but I'm not sure what.

jcutner

I have an Xbox One S, which isn't a year old yet. I guess that's obvious though, given that the thing only came out last August.

While playing a digital game the other day, I felt I'd had enough and wanted to quit. I pressed the dashboard or guide button on my controller and expected the guide to appear. But it didn't. Instead, the screen merely darkened (as if the guide was going to appear) and then basically froze. I couldn't do anything, except for hold the guide button and bring up the "Turn off controller or turn off system" prompt. Though, even then, I couldn't select anything because the joystick and A button wouldn't register.

I did the only thing I could think of, and pressed the power button. But it took 10 minutes or more to actually turn off. The power light kept dimming then getting brighter ad nauseam, and my external hard drive remained on. I didn't recall having anything updating or downloading, nor was the system in Instant On mode. I almost never use it.

Eventually, after 10-15 minutes, everything turned off. And research that I did suggested that it may have been downloading an update, which I found odd but tried to accept.

It worked okay after that, up until today.

Last night, I gamed for a bit, then set something to download overnight. I put it on Instant On, then turned off the console.

Today, I turned it on, the system booted up fine. Then I went to load the game I'd downloaded and got an error both times I attempted: "The game has taken too long to load." It was on my external and still is.

I also noticed that an update I'd started was taking quite some time to actually get going, so I thought maybe my external was acting up. As such, I decided the best thing to do would be to fully turn off the system, wait a couple of minutes, then turn it back on.

So, I went to settings -- power settings -- turn off console -- full shutdown. Hit select and waited.

But, for some reason, the console didn't turn off properly. The hard drive remained on (and once again seemed to be downloading something), but the power light remained solid. It never went dim, nor did the system turn itself off. Instead, it just stayed like that for 30 minutes or so.

I called support, and they didn't know what to say. But they recommended trying to push the power button. That turned it off, but still, I'm very wary of what's been happening. Something isn't right.

I mean, I was downloading something when I turned it off today, but:

a) It wasn't starting properly, from what I could tell b) I selected full shutdown c) The update was 27gb, and my Internet is horrible meaning that it would take MUCH, MUCH LONGER than 15-30 minutes to download. d) But the hard drive turned itself off from inactivity

Has anyone else had such an issue?

Worth mentioning:

After I turned the system back on today, I went to play the same game. It worked, but it told me that it could not load my save file (I didn't have one, but I guess it had created one when I started the game the first time). It also told me that when I went to use Internet Explorer. Asked if I wanted to use it offline or try again. Both worked "offline." It seemed to have problems syncing the games.

I read online that I should go offline via network settings, turn the system off, turn it back on again, sign in and then go back online. That fixed it.

UPDATE 2: This all started happening after a recent small update that I downloaded. I downloaded it on Wednesday, I believe. I don't know if it was a preview update or not. I haven't visited the preview app in quite some time and actually deleted it IIRC.

Since then, I've used the console a few times. This shutdown error has happened the two times.

Of course, Microsoft said I could do an advanced exchange, but I don't want to send it away if it's not defective because I don't want a used refurb.

Jacqli

When the console tried to download the new Halo Wars 2 update (that day also the controller could not turn it on when I pressed the guide button and both were synchronized), it was taking so long to even start it (normally is almost automatic and it was downloading to internal HDD) that I decided to turn the xbox one s off (Prey demo was also giving me an error and not getting into the queue list), but it would not do it. In the end, I had to force it and then turn it on. I have had no problems since then and everything downloaded fine, but that scared me a bit.

Maybe it is actually related to the update, I bought this console recently, but this has never happened before.

dorikyasu

Might not be directly related to OP's issue, but I did encounter There was a problem with the update error message when I booted up my XBO last night. Strangely, my XBO has been up-to-date and there was no firmware update released during last few days (verified OS version with the latest release on xbox.com).

When I tried to do restart it appeared to hang like what OP described, then it finally restarted after what it felt like 5 minutes or so. After it finally came back up, the same update error popped up again, so I had to do full shutdown then boot up. Fortunately it appeared to function normally again afterwards. I did check for the system OS update and there was none, and the firmware version I had was exactly same as before.

I'm surprised no mention of this issue on NeoGAF, but apparently there are others experiencing the same issue since last night as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/68q53l/did_an_update_just_go_live_im_having_trouble/

MrBenchmark

I'm going to assume you guys are in the preview program alpha wave. Same thing happened to me today clear persistent storage in DVD/bluray settings and completely reboot that fixed that for me.

EDIT happened again after being in sleep mode its all over preview forums tons of people same issue they are looking into it. a restart will get you playing again each time it happens.

Top Bottom