• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure confirmed for the Xbox Live Arcade

MrDaravon

Have to agree with both IGN and 1up. I enjoyed the game to somewhat when it first came out (one of my friends had imported it and a Dreamcast before it came out here), but I played it maybe 6 months ago and it is a fucking abomination of a game. I'm actually somewhat insulted that they're even re-releasing it and charging money for it, the gameplay is sooooooo bad. I don't think that most of the people (not here) giving these reviews shit has played this game in 10 years.

Jucksalbe

Banned
acidspunk said:
Having played the Dreamcast game a few months ago, I have to agree with IGN. While I loved it when it originally came out, it's largely unplayable now. :(

Pretty much this.

Played it again about a year ago, it's really a bad game, I can't even imagine how I could enjoy this back in the days.

At least the reviews don't say it's a bad port (apart from the 4:3), so there's still hope for other titles.

Sciz

6.0 Sound
The music is schizophrenic but mostly serviceable, and die-hard Sonic fans will likely find at least one or two tracks to guiltily enjoy.
One of the best soundtracks in the entire franchise gets this kind of respect? Fuck off, IGN.

Not that I'm arguing this port isn't complete shit but

IGN said:
The gameplay shifts between 3rd person, behind the hedgehog running, which doesn't control very well, and 2D side-scrolling sections here and there which control marginally better (since you're pretty much just holding forward and hitting the jump button). Enemies and bosses are dispatched by rolling through them, bouncing off them, or boosting through them, but Sonic has always been more about lightning fast platforming than kicking enemies' collective asses.
What game were they playing...?

It's a shame they wasted the opportunity with a lazy effort, it's not like they'll get to try again any time soon. At best they could delay the PS3 version and turn it over to a different dev house to polish properly. I can't believe the camera setting issue that was a problem in DX for GC is still present.

Aaron Strife said:
What game were they playing...?
Wow, shitty ports all around I guess, someone decided to do a quick port of an unused Unleashed review?

Killthee said:
Wow..... I hope this isn't a sign of what to expect of future DC ports.
Most of these "DC" ports so far are coming from alternate means, primarily PC ports.

JoeyX

Neo Member
I bought Sonic Adventure DX some time ago. It was soooo cheap. I was too young to afford a DC when it came out so I only rented and played Adventure once. I also bought Adventure 2 for the GC around the same time as the PC version of Adventure.

Those games.... were pretty bad. I was pretty surprised to see it pop up on the XBLA. I played Sonic 3 & Knuckles today. I love that game but the series took a poor step to 3d.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So they haven't played the game at all but give it a bad rating because it has to be shitty? While I don't really love the first Sonic Adventure for various reasons and DX wasn't exactly a great port, it is really a proof of nonprofessional journalism. Shame on you, IGN.

Yoshi said:
So they haven't played the game at all but give it a bad rating because it has to be shitty? While I don't really love the first Sonic Adventure for various reasons and DX wasn't exactly a great port, it is really a proof of nonprofessional journalism. Shame on you, IGN.

What? Where did you get this information?

RobbieNick

The gameplay shifts between 3rd person, behind the hedgehog running, which doesn't control very well, and 2D side-scrolling sections here and there which control marginally better (since you're pretty much just holding forward and hitting the jump button). Enemies and bosses are dispatched by rolling through them, bouncing off them, or boosting through them

When does that happen? Is he playing Unleashed?

That said, I'm not gonna defend anything here. Sonic Adventure is a 10+ years old game that really shows it's age. The animations in cut scenes are horrendous. The camera placement is terrible. You show this game to someone who has never played it before and yea, it's gonna fail miserably. I'll still buy it cuz I know what I'm getting from playing the older versions. Still, I would never score it lower than Sonic '06 by a long shot.

I'm gonna play the 360 version tomorrow to see if they actually made things worse, or if it's just that they didn't fix any of the old problems. It sounds like the analog stick on 360 is actually worse, but we'll see soon enough.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, there is no Chao Garden in this release?

Hype: -------100

Demo's alright, but and it isn't too bad graphically, but yeah... :/

Yazuka

I'm sorry if its been asked before, it probably has. But any news on the PSN release? And what does it cost on XBL?

Baron

I can't believe the negative attitude people are having towards this game now. Clearly most of you weren't old enough back in 1999 to play this game when it came out. It was and still is a great game. This revisionist "the game is unplayable" BS is just appalling.

OMG Aero

Wait, where was it said that there is no Chao garden? I played the demo a few hours ago and I swear I remember that screen telling you buy the full game listing the Chao garden as a feature.

Yes Boss!

Baron said:
I can't believe the negative attitude people are having towards this game now. Clearly most of you weren't old enough back in 1999 to play this game when it came out. It was and still is a great game. This revisionist "the game is unplayable" BS is just appalling.
Hell yeah Baron!

The minute I started this up I fell back in love! Awesome that it was rereleased like this. I have the fondest memories of picking up my DC in Paris back then and playing the hell out of it for weeks. Today it is just as good as I remember.

Emerson said:
Definitely need some clarification on the Chaos. Won't buy without them.

I'm guessing whoever said there was no Chao Gardens in this game simply couldn't remember how to access them, because:

35a95zq.jpg

2vdsnq9.jpg

(forgive the awful cam pics, I didn't feel like hooking my capture card up)

Yazuka

Sega1991 said:
Sega has said Sept 22nd on PSN

800 points on XBL, so about $10.
Thanks for the info man, I really appreciate it. Guess I'll get myself a copy of the game than, an take a nostalgic trip.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
currently ranked 45th in Time Attack for Emerald Coast.

I'm sure it won't last long though :lol

andymcc

Banned
i'm surprised at the framerate during emerald coast, it's mostly solid!

may buy this for the soundtrack and nostalgia.

Yes Boss!

andymcc said:
i'm surprised at the framerate during emerald coast, it's mostly solid!

may buy this for the soundtrack and nostalgia.
And the VO, damn, love that shit as cheezy as it is...and I was already 25 when this one released.

Roto13

So that 1up review says they've actually removed the extra stuff from the DX version. (Game Gear games, Chao shop, Mission Mode, etc.) That's pretty BS. Did they give this port to Backbone Entertainment and not tell anyone?
Killthee said:
Wow..... I hope this isn't a sign of what to expect of future DC ports.
I wouldn't be surprised if Crazy Taxi was a port of the PC version, too. But this particular release sucks because Sonic Adventure just... sucks.

Baron said:
No, I liked it when it came out in 1999. It was pretty good when everyone's standards were lower.

Roto13

Chao said:
WATCH OUT, YOU ARE GONNA CRASH! AAAAH!
I was on a snooze cruise, I guess. 8D

kyo_daikun said:
Aww nice one Sega1991, now I HAVE to buy it... :lol

(Need to search up how to make the NiGHTS Chao and stuff again)

Give it lots of animals witch purple backgrounds in their icons. (They're birds.) :p

Vorg

Banned
Baron said:

Yeah I don't think you've played it recently? Controls are waaay too loose and you're constantly bumping into shit and going where you don't want to go. Camera is also way too wonky. The game was good for its time but it doesn't hold up today. But hey, it's your money.

Roto13 said:
No, I liked it when it came out in 1999. It was pretty good when everyone's standards were lower.

So by that rationale, games older than Sonic Adventure are even worse? Because our standards were even lower?

Roto13

RobbieNick said:
It clearly says Sonic Adventure. Not DX Directors cut. However.......

http://www.sonicstadium.org/blog/2010/09/15/dlc-and-more-revealed-for-sonic-adventure-xblapsn/

"That's how they get ya Steve!! That's how they get ya!!"

Downloading this game now.
Blargh. I guess the Game Gear games are worth $5, though.

disappeared said:
So by that rationale, games older than Sonic Adventure are even worse? Because our standards were even lower?

No, because Sonic Adventure had a LOT of problems that were overlooked because Sonic in 3D was pretty cool. That's pretty much all it needed to be fun at the time. But Sonic in 3D is no longer pretty cool, so now we're pretty much just left with the problems. Sonic 3 & Knuckles didn't have any glaring problems to overlook, so it holds up well today.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about graphics or anything else that was really a result of Dreamcast system limitations for Sonic Adventure. I'm talking about poor game design, like the camera or the loose controls.

Roto13 said:
No, because Sonic Adventure had a LOT of problems that were overlooked because Sonic in 3D was pretty cool. That's pretty much all it needed to be fun at the time. But Sonic in 3D is no longer pretty cool, so now we're pretty much just left with the problems. Sonic 3 & Knuckles didn't have any glaring problems to overlook, so it holds up well today.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about graphics or anything else that was really a result of Dreamcast system limitations for Sonic Adventure. I'm talking about poor game design, like the camera or the loose controls.

Fair enough. I can't say I outright disagree either. I remember replaying SA a few years back and not feeling compelled at all to play more than the first few stages.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Never played the original Sonic Adventure, though I did finish the second one on Dreamcast. How does it compare?

XiaNaphryz said:
Never played the original Sonic Adventure, though I did finish the second one on Dreamcast. How does it compare?

The first, despite its hiccups, was the better game. SA2 was what started Sega's love affair with shitty friends.

Roto13

disappeared said:
The first, despite its hiccups, was the better game. SA2 was what started Sega's love affair with shitty friends.
I disagree. : P I think SA 2 got a lot more polish than SA 1 (Though it's still kind of rough) and there was nothing in SA 2 that was nearly as bad as the Amy and Big stages in SA 1. There are a few new stupid characters, but at least Shadow and Rouge play almost exactly like Sonic and Knuckles. The friends in SA 1 were so much worse.

XiaNaphryz said:
The first may be a bit more broken, but I enjoyed it a lot more than 2. SA2 is like 75% robo-clunky Tails and it-takes-45-minutes-to-find-the-emeralds Knuckles stages.

SailorDaravon said:
Have to agree with both IGN and 1up. I enjoyed the game to somewhat when it first came out (one of my friends had imported it and a Dreamcast before it came out here), but I played it maybe 6 months ago and it is a fucking abomination of a game.

This can't be quoted enough.

SailorDaravon said:
I'm actually somewhat insulted that they're even re-releasing it and charging money for it, the gameplay is sooooooo bad.

It doesn't matter how shitty it is, Sonic still seems to sell. Go figure.

Top Bottom