• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania: 12 minutes of direct feed footage (Polygon)

Couldn't watch all of this...the guy playing is just absolutely terrible. Why on earth does a professional outlet send people who obviously don't have a fucking clue how to play games out to do previews?! Fucking hell, get your act together.

That said, the game looks amazing.

I got u fam. Here's a link to another Sonic Mania vid, except it's being played by someone who's playing it the way you're probably gonna play it your first time through

lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yuck. I see they're still using that modified Sonic CD sprite.

Sonic's sprite got overhauled in Sonic 3 for a very good reason:

http://i.imgur.com/aCwUqja.png[mg]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sK13YtF.png[img]

Sonic's design had evolved, and the larger hands, eyes, and feet made for a more cartoon-like Sonic, which I think helped bring Sonic 3's cutscenes to life in a way that Sonic 2 and CD's hedgehog couldn't. For what was pitched as a "missing Sonic game from the Saturn era", they could have just stuck with the design that SEGA had switched to rather than reverting to an old one that didn't reflect the small changes Sonic's design underwent in the official art.[/QUOTE]

I miss HUELEN.

Yep, that's a 2D Sonic, alright.

Looks like a mix between 1/2 and CD, like most have said. Esoteric design elements, but still fluid (I love CD but it's very haphazard with its level design).

When is this game out? Not soon enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4vxzQoC0Yw

This video seems to show off the drop dash move quite a bit. At least I think that is the move that is going on during the first 30 seconds or so of the GHZ footage. Anyone know the thinking going on behind the drop dash addition? Is it too help keep momentum going for Sonic to keep a smooth flow going for the player?

Very pleased that this seems inspired by CD more than the others. The classics are great, but I love the more open level design that CD had. That, combined with Taxman's new engine are signs we're in for a damn good game! :)

FYI the guy in the Polygon video is fine. He or she are just trying to show off as much level design as possible, a pretty difficult task in Sonic games especially when backtracking is involved.

Sciz

I'm usually on board with the 3 sprites > CD sprites crew, but Mania's more detailed shading bridges the gap well, and they're brushing up the art of all the old zones anyway, so I don't see any reason to be worried about cohesiveness.

I'm usually on board with the 3 sprites > CD sprites crew, but Mania's more detailed shading bridges the gap well, and they're brushing up the art of all the old zones anyway, so I don't see any reason to be worried about cohesiveness.
I love the new sprites. As someone who was big into the sprite-scene as a young boy, especially Sonic sprites, this game will be a treat to play through based on aesthetics alone.

Guess Who

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4vxzQoC0Yw

This video seems to show off the drop dash move quite a bit. At least I think that is the move that is going on during the first 30 seconds or so of the GHZ footage. Anyone know the thinking going on behind the drop dash addition? Is it too help keep momentum going for Sonic to keep a smooth flow going for the player?

Yeah, that's the drop dash. Obviously I'm not a developer here, but if I had to guess the reasoning behind the drop dash:

The insta-shield, while useful to good players, had somewhat niche applications and was not understood well by most people relative to Tails and Knuckles's abilities, so the drop dash gives Sonic a more obviously useful move that reinforces his role as the speed-focused character of the three. It lets players pick up speed right after a jump that might otherwise slow you down, but requires good timing to pull off, making it a useful speedrunning skill.

NZerker12

I'm sorry but I am absolutely glad they went with the S1/2/CD sprite. S3's looks like american classic Sonic which is completely ugly compared to JPN/EUR Sonic and lacks the charm.

The only spriteset I prefer from S3 is Super Sonic's, as when he's facing the left he has a smirk which reads I'm going to kick your ass.

L6u49bm.png

If they can make a Super Sonic sprite in the style of S1/2/CD while capturing the attitude and presence of S3's, Mania's Sonic sprite could very well be the best ever.

Yeah, that's the drop dash. Obviously I'm not a developer here, but if I had to guess the reasoning behind the drop dash:

The insta-shield, while useful to good players, had somewhat niche applications and was not understood well by most people relative to Tails and Knuckles's abilities, so the drop dash gives Sonic a more obviously useful move that reinforces his role as the speed-focused character of the three. It lets players pick up speed right after a jump that might otherwise slow you down, but requires good timing to pull off, making it a useful speedrunning skill.

I like this. It makes a lot of sense and as you put it, gives Sonic a clear character-exclusive move that emphasizes his role as the one excelling in speed. Do we have confirmation on it being a Sonic exclusive move?

Sciz

I like this. It makes a lot of sense and as you put it, gives Sonic a clear character-exclusive move that emphasizes his role as the one excelling in speed. Do we have confirmation on it being a Sonic exclusive move?

It's activated by holding jump in the air, which would be flight or gliding for the other two characters.

NZerker12

The insta-sheild makes Silver Sonic, Death egg robo (Sonic 2) and Big Arms a joke. As much as I loved the insta-sheild it made Sonic broken in some ways due to the invincibility frames he recieved. The drop dash looks to be a good addition although I will miss the insta-shield.

Guess Who

Banned
The insta-sheild makes Silver Sonic, Death egg robo (Sonic 2) and Big Arms a joke. As much as I loved the insta-sheild it made Sonic broken in some ways due to the invincibility frames he recieved. The drop dash looks to be a good addition although I will miss the insta-shield.

If you knew what you were doing with it, yeah, the insta-shield was very powerful. But most people I've seen play Sonic 3 have no idea what the fuck it is.

Z3M0G

Wow... such elitest comments... the guy is playing just fine. Exploring a lot. Looks about exactly as if I were to be playing it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
This game looks so good and is turning out exactly how I hoped.

The more footage I see of this (even if it's the same two levels over and over), the more I think it's going to outpace the original Mega Drive games.

It looks spot-on.

TreIII

God, this is so awesome and it needs to happen. They could even add value to it by including Taxman versions of the Genesis games + Sonic CD.

As nice as it would be, such a thing wouldn't be complete though, as Taxman!S3K still continues to not exist.

Speaking of Knuckles though, I will add that I do wonder what his sprites will look like.

Every new bit of footage I see of this gives me a brief warm fuzzy feeling deep inside which is only interrupted by winces of pain made by watching people play Sonic games badly.

As nice as it would be, such a thing wouldn't be complete though, as Taxman!S3K still continues to not exist.

Speaking of Knuckles though, I will add that I do wonder what his sprites will look like.

I'd like to see it be based off the Knuckles Chaotix sprite since this game is going for a "Lost Saturn" 2D Sonic game vibe. Would that work? Or would it be too jarring with Sonic (and I'm assuming Tails and levels) being based off 16-bit sprites/assets?

I feel Knuckles Chaotix was a pretty beautiful game

3.gif

It has some of my fav Sonic music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-axPO7pwgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-oiLkiZv0

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If you knew what you were doing with it, yeah, the insta-shield was very powerful. But most people I've seen play Sonic 3 have no idea what the fuck it is.
I've beaten Sonic 3 god knows how many times. I never use the insta shield, and yeah, I don't really know what the fuck it is.

Wow... such elitest comments... the guy is playing just fine. Exploring a lot. Looks about exactly as if I were to be playing it.
If he can't prove his worth by beating these levels in under a minute than these videos ain't worth my time!

Sciz

I'd like to see it be based off the Knuckles Chaotix sprite since this game is going for a "Lost Saturn" 2D Sonic game vibe. Would that work? Or would it be too jarring with Sonic (and I'm assuming Tails and levels) being based off 16-bit sprites/assets?

Well, Mighty already exists in Chaotix, if you need a point of comparison. He looks a little off relative to the rest of the cast, but I think that's mostly because his shading isn't very sophisticated. If they wanted to touch up Knuckles' sprites for Mania (e.g. make him red again, instead of magenta), they'd likely fit in well enough. They'd have to put some extra work into drawing animations from scratch, though, since Chaotix doesn't have any sprites for the player hanging from an object or rotating in 3D space.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This has "Amazing fucking game" written all over it.

This will be bought day fucking one. Thanks for finally coughing up the goods that all of us Sonic fans have been waiting for.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

3.gif

It has some of my fav Sonic music too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-axPO7pwgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-oiLkiZv0
Man, this game. It looks so nice and has such great music but...the level design. It's complete trash. The game just doesn't work.

MrBadger

I've beaten Sonic 3 god knows how many times. I never use the insta shield, and yeah, I don't really know what the fuck it is.

That's the thing about the insta-shield. It's either completely worthless or breaks the game depending on the player. Cutting it and adding the Drop Dash was a smart move.

jcjimher

The game looks great as always.

If I'm allowed to make some constructive criticism, I think the sound effects need a little work. They sound ripped straight from the Genesis sound chip, and the jump and spin dash ones sound a bit jarring and tiring after some time.

They feel like out of place alongside the smoother sounding CD-quality music and the touched up (but based on the originals) graphics.

In addition, I think they should get rid of the regular shield. With the elemental shields being in the game it feels a bit pointless, and adds to the feeling that there a too many items for the sake of being there...

Mr Swine

Banned
Am I the only one hoping that we revisit all levels from Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic3&K? Albeit some like the Death Egg are gone

Guess Who

Banned
In addition, I think they should get rid of the regular shield. With the elemental shields being in the game it feels a bit pointless, and adds to the feeling that there a too many items for the sake of being there...

Actually, the regular shield is a very smart addition, because it lets you have a shield and keep the drop dash. Elemental shields replace the drop dash.

Piers

The sonic 3 sprite is nice but I personally prefer the 1-2-CD sprite myself, you can tell with 3 that they referenced a 3D model for a lot of the tricky poses and angles.

I've heard people say Sonic 3 is going for a CGi look and I've wondered where they got that from. The Sonic 3 sprite does make sense though, particularly with the lighting. (When compared to his 3D model in the title screens)
Have to say Sonic 3 gets my vote too. The shrunken hands in the Sonic 1/2 sprites always bugged me to no end.

Then again, I think that's actually one aspect Mania's sprite actually addresses which is great.

Sciz

Actually, the regular shield is a very smart addition, because it lets you have a shield and keep the drop dash. Elemental shields replace the drop dash.

Do we have any idea if shields still deflect projectiles like they do in 3? Because I've been thinking that that'd be a nice passive effect to set the normal shield apart for every character, if it were stripped from the elemental shields.

Mr Swine

Banned
I've heard people say Sonic 3 is going for a CGi look and I've wondered where they got that from. The Sonic 3 sprite does make sense though, particularly with the lighting. (When compared to his 3D model in the title screens)
Have to say Sonic 3 gets my vote too. The shrunken hands in the Sonic 1/2 sprites always bugged me to no end.

Then again, I think that's actually one aspect Mania's sprite actually addresses which is great.

I hope they at least keep Sonic 3 Eggman art style since that is vastly superior to the S1/2 art style

Lijik

3.gif

Dont forget that Mighty in Chaotix is a reskin of the Sonic 1/2/CD sprites they were using for Sonic Crackers so I think a spruced up Chaotix Knuckles would fit in with this game's spruced up Sonic
NycTvvR.png

82hcdW9.png

AdanVC

Looks fucking amazing. The music of Studiopolis is so damn good and catchy. Hearing it with headphones and it's A+++. So mad this is not coming to Wii U since it's the only console I own at the moment :(

Falk

that puzzling face
this game looks nothing like the classics if it was a true sega saturn game it would be 4:3 and have genesis music

pass

Top Bottom