• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles - Who's your "main" in of the Sonic big three?

maxresdefault.jpg

& Knuckles

oh no

Sonic has a lot of "shitty friends." It is known. It is a meme. I myself don't find a problem with this. However, many people do. But even these people swear by the original three leads - Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Sonic, the hero.

Tails, the plucky sidekick.

Knuckles, the anti-hero badass.

They compliment each other perfectly. Sonic is cool and confident, the leading man. Tails is meek but determined, eager to live up to Sonic's cool attitude. Knuckles is equally as capable as Sonic, but in an opposite way - he's reserved and powerful instead of free and fast. Even their color schemes work in perfect unison. Blue, Orange, Red. Perfect for the lively atmosphere of the Sonic universe.

With the recent release of Sonic Mania, these three have returned to the forefront. Who is your favorite, and why? I'll come back later with my answer... hint: it isn't Sonic.

Sorry, at work right now. Can't get images. Will update later.

For starters, I feel this is a great, well-thought out OP, OP!

I too don't mind a good chunk of Sonic's "shitty friends", especially the often-shitted on Shadow (kind of greatly surprised me how much hate he tends to get, especially here on GAF IIRC)

I'mma list my top 3 favorites of the Sonic trio in order from favorite to least and explain why for each one (I'm specifically referring to S3/S&K/S3&K):

Sonic: C'mon, who can resist liking the main char. the most? Not to mention, besides his overall design (ESPECIALLY fond of his sprite/sprites in S3/S&K/S3&K) and personality in general, I feel like the levels are primarily designed for him and around his abilities first and foremost. Sonic normally has a insta-shield in S3/S&K/S3&K by default, which certainly has it's uses sometimes for me at least, but the real fun imo kicks in when he deploys Elemental Barriers/Shields! Aside from the element it shields against, each one gives Sonic a unique ability, only for him to use! (I'm particularly fond of the air-dash of the Fire Barrier/Shield and the double jump from the Electric Barrier/Shield for example)

Knuckles: The cool guy of the three imo. Besides his iconic imo design, I quite enjoy his taunting/getting in the way of Sonic solo/Tails solo/Sonic and Tails duo throughout their journey on Floating Island, not to mention his one-step ahead of them nature always kept me guessing where he'd pop up next, and his general role in protecting the island/guarding both the Chaos/Super Emeralds and Master Emerald all contribute to his cool factors to me personally. I'm quite fond of most of his unique traits gameplay wise, and how his single player is different in several key areas than Sonic/Tails/Sonic and Tails'. To even make his single player cooler, I recall his story
taking place AFTER Sonic/Tails/Sonic and Tails'!

Tails: Pretty much the same thoughts on him as you, OP...as a result, I'mma partially quote you here to describe some of what I like about him:

Tails is meek but determined, eager to live up to Sonic's cool attitude

Especially when I was a young child, I GREATLY appreciated Tail's flying ability...made it so much easier for me to explore levels and the like. Gameplay wise besides that though, I find him the hardest to use of the 3 personally, mainly because he lacks Sonic's insta-shield (although Knuckles does also, it doesn't bother me gameplay-wise w/ him as much for some reason...maybe it's because IIRC, Tails' single player is still littered w/ the enemies that are much easier to defeat w/ Sonic's insta-shield ability or something like that not sure). A unique quirk to Tails imo is him needing 7 Super Emeralds in order to transform just into Super state! I think that reflects that he's the youngest, and as a result, isn't properly experienced enough to transform into Super only just w/ 7 standard Emeralds...hmmm. Not to mention, when he finally does transform into Super only, flickies immediately surround him and turn Super also...watching over him for the duration of his Super experience and aiding him when necessary for the duration of his Super experience. This aspect also leads me to believe he's the youngest of the three and as a result, not experienced enough re: Super transformations...

Even though I listed the three in the order I like them the most, as of now...I still consider myself to be pretty fond of all 3 equally as well somehow.

When I was little, the answer was Knuckles. As soon as I got to the end of S&K with Knuckles and figured out his story was shorter, I went back to Sonic. Death Egg was awesome and when I beat it with all the emeralds, I discovered Doomsday. As a kid, seeing Super
Saiyan
Sonic chase Robotnik through an asteroid belt did it for me. It's Sonic and then everybody else.

Blaze is the best female character. Even long term fans recognize this. Unfortunately she's far from "retro," so Mania left her out. She's unofficially the fourth member of the main group in my head, though. I don't think anyone has issues with her like they do with the rest of the extended cast.

Yeah I'd definitely like to see Blaze in these games. I doubt it'll happen, but she's the only likeable one of Sonic's friends. I don't give a shit about Rouge, Shadow, or Any, even though she was introduced in CD.

TheOGB

Banned
When it comes to who I play as now, it's usually Sonic. I started with him solo in Mania because I wanted to use shield abilities and check out Drop Dash, and it's very useful.

Poona

Gotta go with the enchilada

i like the enchilada

Since people are referring to Knuckles as an enchilada do they actually think that echidna is pronounced similarly?

Because it actually isn't. I know echidna has a 'ch' in it but you don't say the ch in that as the same way you do for the words chicken, choose, chips, chuck, etc.

The 'chid' in echidna is actually pronounced the same way you say 'kid' as in a child or baby goat.

So it would probably be more appropriate if it was written ekidna, but whoever came up with the word didn't do it that way.

Kinsei

Banned
It was Knuckles up until Mania. The addition of Sonic's drop dash has very slightly put him ahead of Knuckles for me.

Knuckles has always been my favourite, but I used to play Sonic 2 as Tails solo most (when he couldn't fly), so in game he was my main.

Opa-Pa

Knuckles is my favorite character, but I play mostly Sonic as I don't really enjoy Knuckles' ability and his shortcomings suck.

Tails is adorable but IMO his ability makes the game boring.

Tyson of all people becoming one of the main artist for classic Sonic is my second favorite thing to happen to the series, only topped by Mania. The guy's art is fantastic but I never expected this to happen years ago when I was laughing at this on deviantart lmao.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
What benefit does playing Sonic have over the other two? Both Tails and Knuckles have gameplay advantages.

kiguel182

I only played Sonic Advanced 3 and you might as well have called Knuckles Advanced 3. He can climb walls and hover. No reason to use Sonic at all.

Berordn

What benefit does playing Sonic have over the other two? Both Tails and Knuckles have gameplay advantages.

Sonic's routes are designed around his kit, and his abilities are always about retaining as much forward momentum as possible.

Tails's flight limits his speed pretty heavily for the sake of exploration, and Knuckles also loses speed when landing from a glide and can't jump as high, making him the "hard" choice.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sonic's routes are designed around his kit, and his abilities are always about retaining as much forward momentum as possible.

Tails's flight limits his speed pretty heavily for the sake of exploration, and Knuckles also loses speed when landing from a glide and can't jump as high, making him the "hard" choice.

Oh he is actually faster? Fair enough.

Nottle

Once upon a time I thought Knuckles was cool, but the adventure games make him into a real dumbass.

Tails is really cute. I like that he is a genius, and his arc in Adventure 1 is nice. He saves the day without sonic help.

Sonic sort of sucks gameplay wise.

Raitaro

Blaze is the best female character. Even long term fans recognize this. Unfortunately she's far from "retro," so Mania left her out. She's unofficially the fourth member of the main group in my head, though. I don't think anyone has issues with her like they do with the rest of the extended cast.

Let's just hope that they will be able to stray farther from the retro canon for Mania 2 then ;-)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Sonic levels are made for Sonic. Playing Tails or Knuckles never felt right to me, flying and gliding/climbing feel like hacks that the level designs weren't built to accomodate.

Village

Fourth member is amy tho

I think sega has the main crew up on one of their sites

Sonic,tails,knuckles,amy,eggman,shadow

If new shit occurs those are the ones that tend to be included

I feel you tho, I wish more folks liked blaze, and sega used blaze more

But both of those things arent happening

Also theres a surprising amount of blaze disdain

Top Bottom