• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog: Movie Review Thread

Doom85

I know these are all classic examples of 'Tales from your ass', but man is it highlighting just how much some people are starting to simply not be experiencing the same world the rest of us are

Oh, there's been even more bizarre rivalries between competing films. Venom and A Star Is Born. You'd think the general audiences would be so different nothing would happen (as Birds of Prey and Sonic are at least both blockbuster action/comedy films) but no when Venom started kicking ass at the Box Office suddenly a ton of audience "reviews" started appearing online saying, "took the family to see Venom, left 15 minutes in, just terrible. Bought us tickets for A Star is Born instead, we had a wonderful time." Oh yeah, that sounds TOTALLY legit. I'm not implying no one would enjoy A Star is Born, but the BS narrative is pretty obvious and it didn't seem like the sort of movie that would appeal to a whole family.

I can't believe peoples still think AVGN isn't an actor and he has genuine passion in 2020. He only continued the AVGN the same reason why Doug had to continue NC, the other ventures didn't work and they got additional incentives to continue.

Irate gamer actually had passion and did his own effects from scratch and did nearly everything himself even tried to branch off into history and rare game stuff. Yeah his early asshole attitude while he was playing safe copying parts of AVGN were a thing for a short time but that was mainly a reaction to the AVGN fanbase which was attacking everything that moved including NC, Spoony, and CGR(who has become a shill) but he basically did his own thing, and then he took a break do to real life but still wanted to do gaming stuff, so gave a few gaming videos while he was working on his ghost project, went on several interviews that AVGN would never get on which shows the difference in their professionalism, and recently went back to games.

He still isn't very good though, but you can see the passion. Oh you thought I was saying he was good? Plot twist.

Son Tofu

Banned
I rode the waves to see this one. It wasn't bad. I didn't expect much from it though.
Video game movies seem to be doing better recently.

Wait... No; That new Doom movie blew dead dog.

The kid friendly video games seem to be doing better recently.

Doom85

I rode the waves to see this one. It wasn't bad. I didn't expect much from it though.
Video game movies seem to be doing better recently.

Wait... No; That new Doom movie blew dead dog.

The kid friendly video games seem to be doing better recently.

Well, 2016 had like 3 video game films, and I would say that Ratchet and Clank was the "best" of those particular three. The other two weren't THAT bad, Warcraft had nice visuals and Assassin's Creed had a good cast but they both had some serious issues that prevented them from being good.

But yeah, I'd say Sonic 2020 is my 3rd favorite video game adaptation (not counting anime series that adapt games and such, like I really enjoyed the first Persona 4 anime series) after Detective Pikachu and the first Silent Hill movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Having seen both Sonic and BoP, I can safely say Sonic is the FAR better film. If BoP had half the heart, humor, and FUN of sonic it would have been amazing, but instead it was too far up its own ass to tell a coherent story with likable (or at least relatable) characters that did things with internal purpose instead of jerking visibly to a lame and obvious script. And Sonic isn't even all that great! It is loaded with jokes that are gonna be dated REAL quick and some terrible product placement. But if you replaced Sonic with Barry Allen (even merge him with the sheriff character) you would have a damn decent Flash movie. Why is this so hard DC?

Not really sure why BoP is the "woke" choice given some of the stuff in Sonic, other than seeing skinny girls flail about while giant men throw themselves through nearby windows and walls as some sort of female empowerment? BoP was very cartoony and demented, perfect for a HQ focused film. If only it had been interesting and entertaining....

The Birds of Prey vs Sonic thing is hilariously stupid. One is a movie primarily made for kids. The other is R-rated. Why pit these two movies against each other?

cryptoadam

Banned
Was the Mushroom world a jab at Mario and Nintendo or is it some Sonic game thing? I figured it was a Mario easter egg ?

HotPocket69

Banned
Connecting blame to Trump for a successful Sonic movie in 2020 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
9neIJH0.jpg

BLAME TRUMPBOTNIK REEEEEEE

Alebrije

Nice to see the movie did great, liked most od the jokes ,JC did a great job as Dr. Robotnik and the eggman reference was nice. It seems squel will be more about chaos emeralds than related to Robotnik.

Fret Runner

Just watched it. it's fine. Definition of a middle of the road film.
Would have preferred a more cocky/Sonic X style attitude, since he is a bit too "quirky XD so random" for my liking, but I'm sure kids will prefer him that way so Hey-ho.

I'll be intrested to see what the sequels offer, since I think they have some great potential if they succesfully build on this one. Would be cool to see Metal Sonic for the sequel, with it ending with Sonic going Super Hedgehog and the third one having Shadow team up with Sonic at the end to both go Super hedgehog, Basically SA2 ending.

All in all, forgetable fun family flick.
tumblr_pw9zpeIxVt1qe8lb8o1_500.gif

I just watched this today... ironically I was on something that was different from whatever fungi the film was not so secretly trying to promote. :messenger_peace:

Whitecrow

Banned
Connecting blame to Trump for a successful Sonic movie in 2020 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
9neIJH0.jpg

BLAME TRUMPBOTNIK REEEEEEE
How one's brain can join those two things together is beyond anything I could ever thought.
Harley Quinn is already odd, but to Trump's America?...

I have no words...

Top Bottom