• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s AnywhereVR brings your smartphone into PlayStation VR

SOR5

Link from Venturebeat here, I like it, theres a weird dichotomy but i'm all for just having a relaxed experience where you can chill for a minute

Sony-anywhere-VR-930x581.png

Sony is set to bring your smartphone into virtual reality for the first time with PlayStation VR, offering you “supreme relaxation.” Really.

The company’s music division, Sony Music Entertainment, announced a new relaxation app for its upcoming headset during a Tokyo Game Show 2016 press conference. Called AnywhereVR, the experience impressively projects your phone’s display inside an immersive environment, enabling you to check messages and apps without having to remove PS VR.

"We can create beautiful artificial realities for you to ignore whilst you check your phone!"

We've reached peak millennial.

megalowho

Curious if the pixel density will be enough for this to be useful. The virtual desktop apps on Vive are not ideal for browsing webpages and reading small print, and this seems to be a similar concept.

before anyone gets too excited this is only confirmed to work with xperia phones so far

The simple thought of limiting it to their line of phones shows Sony doesn't have a clue.

Someone who has a ps4+psvr probably has an iPhone or a flagship Android. Even if they do have an Xperia, the frustration when they switch phones and it doesn't work woild be absurd!

DOWN

Banned
How do you know where to tap without seeing your fingers on the phone screen? It's not like you can feel buttons

kaiyo

Yeah the Z series is awesome. Shame that the X series is just a mid-range phone at flagship prices.

The X Performance and XZ are high end phones. Unless you consider only have 3gb vs 4gb ram not a flagship. If so i guess iPhones also arn't high end?

Afrikan

How do you know where to tap without seeing your fingers on the phone screen? It's not like you can feel buttons

Seems like it would be difficult to tell where your fingers are tapping without some kind of marker.

first thing I thought of as well.

BUT...maybe the DS4's Touch pad finally comes in handy. ;)

(as a mouse, for those who still don't get it)

Fisty

Dammit Sony quit trying to make Xperia happen. If people want your phones they will buy them, stop pointlessly locking your apps with this stupid restriction

Theonik

Dammit Sony quit trying to make Xperia happen. If people want your phones they will buy them, stop pointlessly locking your apps with this stupid restriction
The reason a lot of these are locked is that they require low level integration on the phone os. As it becomes technically viable, Sony has moved these apps to other platforms.

Bustanen

XZ is pretty good.

The X Performance and XZ are high end phones. Unless you consider only have 3gb vs 4gb ram not a flagship. If so i guess iPhones also arn't high end?
They're good phones but overpriced considering the specs. Compared to my Z3 whats new? CPU, fingerprint sensor and a smaller battery, not much else.

Considering they were the first with a 1080p screen on a phone it's odd they still use it.

Toxa

They're good phones but overpriced considering the specs. Compared to my Z3 whats new? CPU, fingerprint sensor and a smaller battery, not much else.

Considering they were the first with a 1080p screen on a phone it's odd they still use it.

1080p is more than enough on 5 inch unless you prefer to deplete the battery faster.
anyway since 2014 there's nothing new in mobile phone industry except the same crap all over again better cpu, better cam more ram but for what ? .... it load the facebook page faster ? maybe

Top Bottom