• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s AnywhereVR brings your smartphone into PlayStation VR

Fisty

The reason a lot of these are locked is that they require low level integration on the phone os. As it becomes technically viable, Sony has moved these apps to other platforms.

Like the remote play app that can run perfectly on my Galaxy until an update check every time Sony drops a new firmware? Android is android

Fisty

This would need to hijack your phone. Not the same thing.

OK so why haven't they released Remote Play for everyone?

And why would they need to "hijack" your phone? This is basically just Chrome casting your phone screen to the VR screen

*rejoices*

At least we're not an endangered species like windows phone users.

Dances in a circle

yeaaah, im one of them! :)

Nothing wrong with the Xperia. I have a Z5 and its a great phone, decent camera too. Can't say I want to use it in VR though lol.

Fuck yeah d=(^o^)=b \(^o^)/
( ^-^)ノ∠※。.:*:・'°☆ (*^▽^)/★*☆♪

*rejoices*

ayyy

*rejoices* b(^^)-b

*Rejoices*

still better than samsung

( ^_^)-b

I was actually wanting to get the Xperia Z Ultra back in '13 but I couldn't afford to buy it outright at the time and at&t didn't carry it so I had to pass. I love obnoxiously large phones so it was quite appealing to me haha.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I do think this is a great idea.

I think the only time I'm ever disconnected from my phone is when I play VR games, and I don't like it.

Zalusithix

How do you know where to tap without seeing your fingers on the phone screen? It's not like you can feel buttons

Yeah, I don't see how it'd be at all usable. Being able to see your finger relative to the screen is rather critical for smartphone use. Very few applications have interaction areas large enough to be used blindly. Beyond that, the phone itself wont be able to track correctly in a 3D space relative to the headset, so its display will just be arbitrarily superimposed over the VR background regardless of where the phone actually is.

I mean, you could theoretically rig up some controller -> phone interface mechanism, but that seems clunky as hell.

Edit: Now that I think more about it, depending on the capacitive touch tech in the phone, it could potentially pick up the finger location slightly before actually having the finger fully down and show a cursor in the VR overlay.

kaiyo

They're good phones but overpriced considering the specs. Compared to my Z3 whats new? CPU, fingerprint sensor and a smaller battery, not much else.

Considering they were the first with a 1080p screen on a phone it's odd they still use it.

So just like every other new phones out there? some spec bumps. It is also priced similar to other flagships if not slightly cheaper even, so I don't see where it's over priced is coming from.

Clove.co.uk has the Xperia XZ for £457.50 = ~US$595. If you preorder you also get a Sony Bluetooth headphones MDRXB950BT.

1080p is perfectly fine for ~5 inch phone, especially since it would give you better battery life because of it.

wenaldy

130274779024.jpg

novabolt

I hope they ain't locking this to their brand of phones. Look at what happened to remote play on the Vaio laptops, it wasn't a good choice.

Also isn't Sony like the 4th or 5rd top manufacturer of Android at the moment?

Top Bottom