• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

DCharlie said:
Amazon is THE barometer for games sales globably - any idiot knows that.

Why - just look at Amazon.jp - it`s like holding a mirror up to the industry.

Amazon.com is not terrible indicator of what is selling. I'm sure the PS3 is getting a sales bump from the $100 price-cut. The question is how big and how long will it last?

FLEABttn

Banned
test_account said:
Didnt the 20GB SKU sell out pretty quick? But since they discontunied the 20GB SKU, the only option left was the 60GB SKU for $599. Now you get 40GB more space and those memorycard readers included for the same price as the 20GB SKU was.

Umm, EB had new 20gig systems in stock and ready to ship until monday, when they mysteriously dissapeared off their site.

tjhooker

Banned
Firewire said:
http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/13425/1023/

there was no way that Sony's more than 100 million strong loyal fan base was just going to evaporate into thin air. Many of those PS2 users who weren't among the 4 million or so early adopters knew a price cut was coming sooner or later and were simply prepared to wait. Evidence of the pent up demand became apparent soon after the price cut announcement with US retailers reporting huge spikes in PS3 sales.

Having been released early and at about the right price point, sales have been steady and there is no pent up demand for Xbox 360. A US$50 price cut is probably not going to spur a hungry horde of loyal Xbox users to race out and grab a new Xbox 360 console.

Exactly what I've been saying.

Firewire

Banned
Guys of topic but....

Halo 3 gets M rating in States

"America’s ESRB board has given Halo 3 an “M” rating, meaning that only gamers aged 17 and over in the States. With all of the previous Halo releases having netted M ratings as well, it seems that whatever the single player element holds, the level of violence found within it should be on a par with what we’ve seen from previous games."

You think this will hurt MS, not being able to sell it to under 17's?

Firewire said:
Guys of topic but....

"America’s ESRB board has given Halo 3 an “M” rating, meaning that only gamers aged 17 and over in the States. With all of the previous Halo releases having netted M ratings as well, it seems that whatever the single player element holds, the level of violence found within it should be on a par with what we’ve seen from previous games."

a) It hasn't for Halo 1 and 2
b) There's like fourteen thousand Halo threads

Firewire said:
Guys of topic but....

Did you read what you posted? All other Halos have been M rated, why would this hurt MS?

Pimpwerx

tjhooker said:
Exactly what I've been saying.
But TBH, this happens with every price cut. It's yet to be seen if this is a sustained boost. A one-time spike and then return to the previous pattern would not be good. We'll have to wait and see. PEACE.

Firewire said:
Guys of topic but....

How did this make it in a dedicated PS3 thread?

Pimpwerx said:
But TBH, this happens with every price cut. It's yet to be seen if this is a sustained boost. A one-time spike and then return to the previous pattern would not be good. We'll have to wait and see. PEACE.
Yeah exactly. When the sales are consistently high then it'll be something to blog about.

Firewire

Banned
WickedAngel said:
How did this make it in a dedicated PS3 thread?

Sorry guys posted this in the wrong place, my computer is acting real funny with Gaf today, I keep getting error messages still, and its like jumping around from thread to thread.

My apologies.

heavyness

heavyness said:
so wait, there is a $500 and a $600 model now? how is that a price cut?

why don't they just say "we're giving you more crap" or "we upgraded the models".

this "price cut" doesn't get me any closer to buying a PS3. sure, it will help the people who have been thinking of getting one, but it's not going to move mountains of PS3s.

holy crap, your like 10 pages late!

Sharp

Like I said in the other thread, I've changed my mind about the foolishness of Sony's move because I realized that the mainstream media are all calling it a price drop. Right now the PS3 is benefiting from a lot of relatively positive media attention, which hasn't happened in forever. While, again, I think at $499 it still will not exactly be a success, it'll definitely receive a substantial sales spike this month--possibly even doubling, as Sony said earlier. And, while obviously Amazon sales aren't great indicators of popularity, rising from so far down the list to number one has to mean something. Even if the boost only lasts a month or two, a la Gamecube, that might be enough to give it momentum going into the holidays.

Has anyone in Canada seen the price drop in stores yet? I see it is listed on Futureshop's website, but I called Zellers and they hadn't even heard anything about it. The guy said "If what you're telling me about a price drop is true, i should get some paperwork about it soon". Sad thing is, I have a large gift card for there, so I may have to wait for them to get their act together.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oni Jazar said:
Here's my guess on the situation what do you think?

1) Premise: The new 80Gig SKU is equal or cheaper to produce then the previous 60Gig model. Perhaps the Hard Drive supplier has a better cost on the 80Gig drive otherwise I really don't see the differece beteween 60 & 80 that's worth a new sku (unlike say the 20Gb to 60Gb which is a 3x difference). Also the removal of the EE chip and probably the inclusion of the 65nm CELL processor drops costs a significant amount.

2) Fact: There is still a lot of 60Gigs in stock in the US. This means they can't just release the new cheaper SKU without dropping the price of the unit with the smaller hard drive. The stock needs to be cleared out for these newer/cheaper units.

3) Conclusion: Once the remaining more expensive 60Gb units are sold out that SKU phased out, the 80Gb unit will drop the motorstorm pack-in and become the new $499 model.

The 80Gb unit is definitely the tard pack of the PS3. For $100 more you get a hard drive with a quarter more hard drive, a 6 month old game and software backwards compatability.

sounds reasonable to me.

Pimpwerx

Oni: I assumed that 60GB units were actually shipping with 80GB drives partitioned down to 60GB. I didn't see a point in Sony shipping two different HDDs since it's clear they've run out of 20GB drives. I figured they'd keep one size and just partition, though I could be wrong. PEACE.

Phoenix

dammitmattt said:
Question for everyone - what is it about the $500 price tag that is making you jump in now? Is it because the good software is closer than it was last November? Is it because the WiFi and 40GB were THAT important to you that you couldn't just pick up the $500 system last year?

It's just weird to me that people are choosing now to jump in when the price is still very high and the software is still mostly 1-2 months away. It would make MUCH more sense to me if the price cut was $200....

For me it was a combination of factors:

1) My X360 died less than a year out and AMEX let me credit it instead of having to go through continual Microsoft warranty 3ROD hell.

2) Media center/connectivity features of the PS3 improved in the last update

3) I still haven't seen enough "must have" content for me to consider getting a Wii and I'm gun shy after the N64 and the Gamecube.

4) The Blueray bundle is excellent and what I had been arguing they should have done at launch.

5) I considered the X360 online system a clumsy disastrous mess so I don't see any downside to what the PS3 has to offer in online gameplay

So for me I can use the PS3 as an effective BRD player and experience some high-def movies in a format that doesn't suck, I can recover from the mistake of buying an X360, and there is a good content stream coming out for Chistmas... and beyond.

Tarazet

frAntic_Frog said:
i wish sony would've brought back the 20gb and priced it at $450

I bet they did this just to shaft the 20GB buyers even harder - because if they bought it before the drop, there's no new price for them to match it to.

Top Bottom