• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

spwolf said:
why not? positive marketing will definetly bring in a lot of new customers, and doubling those sales is not that hard, is it?

Price is really relative term - just look at iPod sales. What Sony needed the most is positive marketing, which is what they are finally getting now.

for how long is the question - but then you will have steady flow of block buster releases which will get the sales up even more - lair, warhak, heavenly sword are all coming out in next 2 months, which will make PS3 hard to ignore.

timing is probably perfect to keep PS3 sales on the up side going into holiday season. How up is up? Nobody knows, but double of 80k is really not that big of the number.

You can't compare the iPod to the PS3 in any way, shape, or form, but I actually mostly agree with you, though you do seem to be looking at things in a bubble. It's good if Sony doubles sales and everyone else remains constant, but that's not going to happen. Microsoft and likely Nintendo will also see increased sales, so Sony should be more worried about closing the sales gap as opposed to touting absolute sales numbers.

I can't believe that I actually agreed with one of your posts...bizarro world indeed :D

FYI if it wasn't mentioned, but if you get the PS3 at Amazon you also get the Blu-Ray Remote and Blu-Ray Memento for free.

I was going to get the Circuit City bundle w/ the free controller, but after figuring in tax, I'd be paying the same if i were to get the Amazon bundle and the controller separately. Plus, I'm a Prime member so I get free 2day shipping. :)

So I'm going to order the Amazon bundle..right now. :)

watership

MikeB said:
IMO Microsoft's repsonse was classic:

"We'll see if it makes a difference. It's interesting to note that they've significantly dropped their price in the first eight months while Xbox 360 has continued to sell well at our launch price for more than a year and a half. We're right where we want to be right now -"

- Missing original shipment target by 4.4 million?
- 1 Billion extra in depth due to mass hardware failures?
- No price drop in 1 and half years despite using the cheapass low quality components?

I'm pretty sure whomever said that at MS got his ass kicked. Not only was it shady with it's "unnamed source", but it's a SMARMY comment. So weird for MS PR.

spwolf said:
why not? positive marketing will definetly bring in a lot of new customers, and doubling those sales is not that hard, is it?

Price is really relative term - just look at iPod sales. What Sony needed the most is positive marketing, which is what they are finally getting now.

for how long is the question - but then you will have steady flow of block buster releases which will get the sales up even more - lair, warhak, heavenly sword are all coming out in next 2 months, which will make PS3 hard to ignore.

timing is probably perfect to keep PS3 sales on the up side going into holiday season. How up is up? Nobody knows, but double of 80k is really not that big of the number.

The thing is, they need to build on this and not **** it up with stupid PR crap.
Spend less time patting themselves on the back for whatever successes they feel they have hit (real and imagined) and just focus on the content.
Games, PSN games, downloadable multimedia content, bluray and just run with that.
Because it only takes one stupid stumble and they are back where they started...again.

PartlyCloudlike said:
FYI if it wasn't mentioned, but if you get the PS3 at Amazon you also get the Blu-Ray Remote and Blu-Ray Memento for free.

I was going to get the Circuit City bundle w/ the free controller, but after figuring in tax, I'd be paying the same if i were to get the Amazon bundle and the controller separately. Plus, I'm a Prime member so I get free 2day shipping. :)

So I'm going to order the Amazon bundle..right now. :)

Blu-Ray remote >>>> shockless controller

You made the right decision (unfortunately, like all Sony remotes it's kind of crappy and has no backlight or glow-in-the-dark buttons)

watership said:
I'm pretty sure whomever said that at MS got his ass kicked. Not only was it shady with it's "unnamed source", but it's a SMARMY comment. So weird for MS PR.

You are kidding about that smarmy thing right?
These are the people with the 360 chairs at the PS3 launch, the 360 boat, the welcome website?
You are implying that they are some kind of moral high ground?

spwolf

OokieSpookie said:
The thing is, they need to build on this and not **** it up with stupid PR crap.
Spend less time patting themselves on the back for whatever successes they feel they have hit (real and imagined) and just focus on the content.
Games, PSN games, downloadable multimedia content, bluray and just run with that.
Because it only takes one stupid stumble and they are back where they started...again.

they have been focusing really hard on exactly that... thats why so many games are coming out.

dammitmattt said:
Blu-Ray remote >>>> shockless controller

You made the right decision (unfortunately, like all Sony remotes it's kind of crappy and has no backlight or glow-in-the-dark buttons)

Walmart has it with a remote too all of the sudden (though they havent changed the price on their site yet)

OokieSpookie said:
Walmart has it with a remote too all of the sudden (though they havent changed the price on their site yet)

Now can they at least throw in a decent HD cable (HDMI or component...it doesn't matter).

dammitmattt said:
Question for everyone - what is it about the $500 price tag that is making you jump in now? Is it because the good software is closer than it was last November? Is it because the WiFi and 40GB were THAT important to you that you couldn't just pick up the $500 system last year?

I'm picking it up because:

1) I'm in a better financial situation now than 8 months ago
2) By the time I was ready to purchase the PS3, the 20gb was difficult to find, and I really couldn't be bothered trying to find one.
3) I was never interested in the HD movement until now. Blu-Ray releases seem to be steady, and it appears to be the format of choice for the foreseeable future.
4) The Resistance thread makes the game sound so fun. Can't wait.
5) Uncharted, Killzone 2 (all hype, i Know), Heavenly Sword, Lair, Hot Shots :)
6) PSP Remote Play
7) Free online

Link316

Banned
quest said:
I am sure if you wanna be anal about it sales will double or more for a short time. The real test will be in a 2-3 months will the increased sales be sustained or will the slowly tapper off to were they are now.

sales will start going up in October anyway, so they just gotta try to sustain this momentum for 3 months

spwolf

dammitmattt said:
You can't compare the iPod to the PS3 in any way, shape, or form, but I actually mostly agree with you, though you do seem to be looking at things in a bubble. It's good if Sony doubles sales and everyone else remains constant, but that's not going to happen. Microsoft and likely Nintendo will also see increased sales, so Sony should be more worried about closing the sales gap as opposed to touting absolute sales numbers.

I can't believe that I actually agreed with one of your posts...bizarro world indeed :D

holiday's sales rise doesnt start until october though and Sony will have at least 3 block busters before that, and possibily even more.

As I said, it is perfect timing for price drop as it builts an momentum going forward, that will be picked up with blockbuster release every 2 weeks.

All we are talking is sales rise - how big will it be is unknown, even pachter will try to guess it, wrongly as always.

but most important thing is positive news in media and shops, thats what will sell them more than anything else.

Raistlin

watership said:
When word of the price drop trickled down to a few of my family members tonight, an aunt said that she'd buy it for her son. He was pretty excited and said most of his friends were just dying to get it, but the price was so high. I mentioned there wasn't much to play on the system for the past 8 months, and he gave me a strange look, "It's a PLAYSTATION dude." It reminded me that sometimes I'm so close to all the industry news and fanboy talk that the general population thinks games.. and then thinks Nintendo and Playstation.

If Sony can get this down to 399, they'll sell like MAD. If Sony and Microsoft were in different positions (Hardware problems aside and giving MS the hardware advantage) would Microsoft's console sell as much as the PS3 did? Probably not.

And somehow no one believes me that there is pent-up demand for PS3.

watership

OokieSpookie said:
You are kidding about that smarmy thing right?
These are the people with the 360 chairs at the PS3 launch, the 360 boat, the welcome website?
You are implying that they are some kind of moral high ground?

There is being confident and then there is smarmy asshole who giggles when you say you have friends... That comment really, in any context, was crappy even for an "unnamed source".

omg. I'm semi-defending MS PR. Booze. Now.

AstroLad said:
more anecdotal evidence and amazon sales charts pls

157fs564060.png

Raistlin

AlternativeUlster said:
So that's how much the NeoGeo sold for? I thought it was something much more because my friends always talked about the NeoGeo and they were like whenever they rented one (and also had to put a deposit for it) that they wanted own one but it was like 2,000 dollars or something like that.

I can see how some kids in 1990 would look at $649 as being like $2,000 :p

The Jaguar for 250 wasn't that bad of a deal actually. The 3DO on the otherhand, wow. The best Out of this World isn't worth that much. Did the NeoGeo come with a game and also, can we get some charts comparing the Geo to the Ps3? Did the NeoGeo come with a game?

Jag HW was a decent price at launch. If only it received the support it (kind of) deserved. 3D0 on the other hand, what the f*ck were they thinking :lol

As to NeoGeo, I don't know what it came with ... though the controller itself would probably go for $70 in this day and age. That shit was heavy duty.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Onix said:

I don't think there is if people really wanted badly they would just use the credit card like they do for every thing else. I am sure there are a lot of people would like to get one eventually but it is way down the priority list. I think most are happy as can be with their PS2s or Wiis. Pent up demand would be the Wii were it has been basically out of stock since launch. The price cut will help sales but it will not put it back on track to where the PS2 or even the Wii are or were.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Cheesemeister said:
Actually, according to the inflation calculator, $649 in 1990 is more like $1017.72 as of 2006.

If that was not bad enough it was the 100+ dollar games that were the deal breaker for even the hard core. If the games would of been 50 I would of picked one up back then for sure.

watership said:
There is being confident and then there is smarmy asshole who giggles when you say you have friends... That comment really, in any context, was crappy even for an "unnamed source".

omg. I'm semi-defending MS PR. Booze. Now.

Sláinte!

spwolf said:
holiday's sales rise doesnt start until october though and Sony will have at least 3 block busters before that, and possibily even more.

As I said, it is perfect timing for price drop as it builts an momentum going forward, that will be picked up with blockbuster release every 2 weeks.

All we are talking is sales rise - how big will it be is unknown, even pachter will try to guess it, wrongly as always.

but most important thing is positive news in media and shops, thats what will sell them more than anything else.

Question.....what's your definition of blockbuster? I only see five coming out this year (Mario, Smash Bros, Halo, Madden, GTA). No individual game will really sell PS3s this year like a Halo will sell 360s, but the release of a number of potentially very good games in a variety of genres will definitely help, especially since there are finally some more exclusives.

Onix said:

I just bought mine:

Shipping Method: Two-Day Shipping
Shipping Preference: I want my items faster. Ship them as they become available.
Subtotal of Items: $544.93
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied -$24.99
Promotion Applied -$19.95
------
Total for this Order: $499.99

Shipping estimate for these items: July 10, 2007
Delivery estimate: July 12, 2007
1 "PlayStation 3 (60GB)"
CD-ROM; $499.99

Sold by: Amazon.com

1 "Memento (Blu-Ray)"
Guy Pearce; Blu-ray; $19.95

Sold by: Amazon.com

1 "Sony Playstation 3 Blu-Ray DVD Remote"
Video Game; $24.99

Pretty damn good deal, imo. No buyers remorse here.

More fun inflation calculations to 2006 dollars...

U.S. Console Launch Prices

1977: Atari 2600 - $199 ($680.83)
1982: ColecoVision - $175 ($374.30)
1982: Atari 5200 - $269 ($575.35)
1985: Nintendo Entertainment System - $199 ($372.34)
1986: Atari 7800 - $139 ($251.04)
1986: Sega Master System - $199 ($359.41)
1989: TurboGrafx-16 - $199 ($327.04)
1989: Sega Genesis - $189 ($310.61)
1990: SNK NeoGeo - $649 ($1017.72)
1991: Super Nintendo - $199 ($296.07)
1993: 3DO - $699 ($968.99)
1993: Atari Jaguar - $249 ($345.18)
1995: Sega Saturn - $399 ($523.39)
1995: PlayStation - $299 ($392.22)
1996: Nintendo 64 - $199 ($254.67)
1999: Sega Dreamcast - $199 ($239.29)
2000: PlayStation 2 - $299 ($350.09)
2001: Nintendo GameCube - $199 ($225.34)
2001: Xbox - $299 ($338.58)
2005: Xbox 360 - $299 / $399 ($309.17 / $412.57)
2006: PlayStation 3 - $499 / $599
2006: Nintendo Wii - $249
2007: Xbox 360 Elite - $479 (N/A)

vdo

Onix said:
As to NeoGeo, I don't know what it came with ... though the controller itself would probably go for $70 in this day and age. That shit was heavy duty.

And remember the high cost of NeoGeo games? Being cartridge based, having so much memory in them made them astronomical compared to other systems. I can't remember how much they were, but I just remember they were way too high - and if anyone does remember the prices, adjusting for inflation makes it even worse. So it wasn't just the system you had to think about, but the fact that every game was just so expensive as well.

Edit: beaten by quest

spwolf

dammitmattt said:
Question.....what's your definition of blockbuster? I only see five coming out this year (Mario, Smash Bros, Halo, Madden, GTA). No individual game will really sell PS3s this year like a Halo will sell 360s, but the release of a number of potentially very good games in a variety of genres will definitely help, especially since there are finally some more exclusives.

from my usage, blockbusters are big games - not 10 million sellers, but games that have had a lot of money invested and should show well - Lair, Warhawk and HS are "big games" that are coming out. Not as big as GTA, but big nevertheless. PS3 has 2 >1 million sellers and these should add to that tally.

All 3 are completly different games so it will also diversify offerings on PS3 platform.

dammitmattt said:

You see, this is what scares me about the PS3 right now. The only game that you can say for sure right now that would make someone want a PS3 is GTA4, which can be found on a cheaper system.

I see a lot of Sony advocates list off a lot of admittedly great games coming, but I just don't see them penetrating to the mass market in any way. Sony's 1st party, in my opinion, serves as a wonderful complement to a good 3rd party offering.

I really hope Sony can pull it around, as I hope to jump in at $400.

P.S. It's not that hard to double 80k/month sales, even if it's just for one month. I expect week-for-week there to be 2x the sales in July NPD over June.

spwolf

RiskyChris said:
You see, this is what scares me about the PS3 right now. The only game that you can say for sure right now that would make someone want a PS3 is GTA4, which can be found on a cheaper system.

I see a lot of Sony advocates list off a lot of admittedly great games coming, but I just don't see them penetrating to the mass market in any way. Sony's 1st party, in my opinion, serves as a wonderful complement to a good 3rd party offering.I really hope Sony can pull it around, as I hope to jump in at $400.

P.S. It's not that hard to double 80k/month sales, even if it's just for one month. I expect week-for-week there to be 2x the sales in July NPD over June.

thats completly opposite of what it "should" be.

Power of PS2 was that it had 50 "must have" titles, not just GTA, MGS, GT, etc.

Sony has huge first party effort this time around, and it will completly change what people buy. So far first party efforts have been much better than 3rd party ones for PS3, and there are a lot of huge PS3 first party games coming out.

MikeB

Banned
@ RiskyChris

No, although GTA4 is on my wishlist, my list is topped by Ratchet and Clank Future, surely a major blockbuster and gameplay demos videos look stunning.

For some others here it may be Metal Gear Solid. For the Japanese it's probably Final Fantasy.

MikeB said:
@ RiskyChris

No, although GTA4 is on my wishlist, my list is topped by Ratchet and Clank Future, surely a major blockbuster and gameplay demos videos look stunning.

For some others here it may be Metal Gear Solid. For the Japanese it's probably Final Fantasy.

Ratchet and Clank is an excellent, excellent series and has always sold well to the large PS2 audience, but it's a huge stretch to call it a "major blockbuster."

I actually think Uncharted has the potential to be a breakout hit this year if it's as good as we all hope it will be.

spwolf said:
thats completly opposite of what it "should" be.

Power of PS2 was that it had 50 "must have" titles, not just GTA, MGS, GT, etc.

Sony has huge first party effort this time around, and it will completly change what people buy. So far first party efforts have been much better than 3rd party ones for PS3, and there are a lot of huge PS3 first party games coming out.

I completely agree, and I think Sony can do it this generation. They have a lot of talent, and hopefully the desperation to push out quality titles will really work wonders. I'm more impressed with what Sony's done with 1st party than I ever have.

MikeB said:

Well, I'm looking from the perspective of the average consumer. If I were to pick up a PS3, there are surely going to be plenty of games I'd like (Warhawk and Lair, but I'm a sucker for flight mechanics in games).

R&C is a great franchise, but I don't think it's what the PS3 needs to break out just yet. Uncharted certainly has the potential, but not without proper marketing.

spwolf

RiskyChris said:
R&C is a great franchise, but I don't think it's what the PS3 needs to break out just yet. Uncharted certainly has the potential, but not without proper marketing.

how about all of those together... Lair, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, R&C, Socom PSN, Little Big Planet PSN, GT: Prologue PSN, Uncharted are all games that we should be able to play within 3 months. We will see about others soon enough :).

p.s. Warhawk is an blast. 1st day purchase.

spwolf said:
how about all of those together... Lair, Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, R&C, Socom PSN, Little Big Planet PSN, GT: Prologue PSN, Uncharted are all games that we should be able to play within 3 months. We will see about others soon enough :).

p.s. Warhawk is an blast. 1st day purchase.

They're all good titles, but PS3 needs something that just becomes a phenomenon:

Mario, Halo, GTA3 (at least, this generation's equivalent. no, not gta4), Guitar Hero [Edit: I don't find PS3 GH to be relevant as it's still on PS2]

What can't say for sure is whether one of this Fall's games actually becomes a killer app. I firmly believe that a single game as a killer app is worth far more than a library of passable but not mainstream-acclaimed titles (at least as far as sales go, but this is a sales-age topic sooooooo).

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Sony really need to do what they can to knock the price down to that $400 sweet spot. Seriously... it's the 'hardcore' sweetspot. There's definetly pent up demand for the PS3... there are some pretty amazing looking stuff on its way out, but it's still sitting at that stigmatized price range right now. Once they bring it down past that range, ideally into $400 range, the flood gates of pent up demand will open. The hardcore will follow, and with that, some sort of guaranteed future.

But the catch here is, the pent up demand is been created by the exclusives like FFXIII, MGS4, et al. The PS2 fans are there... but if it's not done fast enough, the companies that make these games... they're simply going to say, there's not enough userbase for the PS3. If they diversify... then it's game over for Sony, at least for this round. Once they have no more 3rd party exclusives... they're going to find themselves in an incredibly difficult position to recover.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
justjohn said:
majority of people dont buy a console to play just one game. thats retarded

Wii Sports. You walked right into that one.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

GAF -> Konami -> Reuters -> GAF

I can't believe he said that to Reuters. That is absolutely insane. I'm going to lose my $199 tattoo bet.

:(
Welp, he said it. It's just a common sense thing, IMO. No sense in deluding yourself or others when any fool can plug some numbers into the spreadsheet and look at their trends so far to see just how tough the situation really is. What's this bet you're talking about?

MightyHedgehog said:
Welp, he said it. It's just a common sense thing, IMO. No sense in deluding yourself or others when any fool can plug some numbers into the spreadsheet and look at their trends so far to see just how tough the situation really is. What's this bet you're talking about?

Well, no formal bet, but I figured Petey's tattoo this year would be "$199" but this article makes it seem like it's destined to be MGS4.

Orlics

Konami America dude said:
"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps," Kitaue said.

Yay, now we have another vague quote to debate and meltdown over. Christ.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, no formal bet, but I figured Petey's tattoo this year would be "$199" but this article makes it seem like it's destined to be MGS4.

It looks like they haven't actually decided upon anything, though. I stand by my opinion that IF a port of MGS4 comes (and that's a huge "if"), it will be announced AFTER the PS3 version is released.

BenjaminBirdie said:

:lol No, I don't expect MGS4 to be announced for X360...yet. It seems clear that they're trying to maintain whatever tradition they have with Sony's platforms and their showing of relatively exclusive support for them. Of course, as that Konami guy says, it's looking different now. I think there will be more interesting surprises from MS than something Konami-related.

syfodyas

Banned
Danthrax said:
It's really more like a $150 price drop with those included extras.
Its only a $150 price drop if you had planned to buy Memento and a remote control all along, which I seriously doubt.
Its funny how the Sony fans are jizzing over this price cut, but it wont make any difference at all, we are in the same position as before. Two SKUs, one costing $499 the other $599. GBs of storage space and Motorstorm wont make a damn difference to the mass market.

snorggy

surfing the web evidence: when the price cut became official earlier in the day i went to check the futureshop.ca website so that i could check the stock level counter. I returned just now to see how things were moving so that i could report it to GAF and annoy/encourage people... here are my findings:

earlier in the day count (probably around 1pm): 47
count as of this post: 3

clearly the price drop is a success/failure.

Top Bottom