• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Raistlin

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS3 is not taking as long as previous systems to reach mass market pricing as you claim. That's just silly.

For one, what are you defining as a mass market price? Obviously it should be a bit higher than previous gens. Secondly ... how do you know what the price will be for the PS3 in 2009?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The initial higher price of entry means that next gen consoles won't reach mass adoption rates until later this generation which consequently means a delay in when such a battle is decided.

that's if all three companies ability to cut the price remain the same and if they all start at the same price and all entered the market at the same time, and we know that this isn't true across the board.

The terrifying thing here is the Wii - i think it's probably got the easiest job in cutting prices , and they simply don't need to do anything right now.

FLEABttn

Banned
tjhooker said:
Hardly.

The initial higher price of entry means that next gen consoles won't reach mass adoption rates until later this generation which consequently means a delay in when such a battle is decided.

Except that adoption rates later are entirely based on adoption rates now. You know, cause that IS what's determining where the games are going.

People, you're kidding yourselves if you think HDTV automatically equals HD console.

Raistlin

DCharlie,

Wii should have the easiest job

Between PS3 and 360, PS3 should have the easiest job cutting costs ... at least in terms of original price. Whether that can bring it down to 360 Premium pricing in a reasonable timeframe remains to be seen ... though the 3 year warranty debacle may help in that regard.

Anecdotal evidence: One of my good buds jumped on the PS3 deal at Circuit City (the one with the free controller). He was hesitant on the 360 -- a great system -- due to the hardware issues, despite the warranty deal. He is now officially a PS3 owner. Me, I'm getting mine this Saturday!:D

I agree with those who think that people who've been waiting on the PS3's price to drop will be primarily the ones who buy them. My friend had been waiting for quite a long time. Casuals will still be scared off by the price.

Onix said:
For one, what are you defining as a mass market price? Obviously it should be a bit higher than previous gens. Secondly ... how do you know what the price will be for the PS3 in 2009?
Regardless of what we consider a mass-market price, inflation alone shouldn't account for much more than a $50 difference from last generation to this. As is now, PS3 is 200 more than PS2 was at the same age. If PS3 can drop a full $100 every year, it will take until mid-2010 to be within $100 of what PS2 was at the same age, at which point the comparison would be PS3: $200, PS2: $150.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
The majority of you take this shit far, far too seriously.

Anyway I hope they pass a decent sized price cut onto us saps in the UK. I have a feeling I'll no longer be able to resist buying a PS3 once all the E3 goodness spills out.

Raistlin

JoshuaJSlone said:
Regardless of what we consider a mass-market price, inflation alone shouldn't account for much more than a $50 difference from last generation to this. As is now, PS3 is 200 more than PS2 was at the same age. If PS3 can drop a full $100 every year, it will take until mid-2010 to be within $100 of what PS2 was at the same age, at which point the comparison would be PS3: $200, PS2: $150.

I don't think people are considering only inflation.

damisa

tjhooker said:
Not at all.

Name one console that was being heavily outsold on a monthly basis by the competition that came back to sell the most. Before you try, SNES and PS1 were never outsold by the competiton (genesis,saturn/n64) in any large anounts.

Uncle AJ

patsu said:
It's available everywhere. Check Amazon, Circuit City, Best Buy or Target for some examples.

So you can just walk into a store and say, "Give me that 5 free movies deal?" Or do you need to bring some kind of coupon?

EDIT: nm, found the online order form

FLEABttn

Banned
tjhooker said:
Not at all.

Both PSX and PS2 had faster adoption rates in the same period of time that the PS3 did and they ended up having even better adoption rates later because a playerbase was established early, and that ended up directing where the games went.

And please, the situation of this generation isn't so dissimilar from that of the 32/64 bit era. Nintendo/Sega were kings, made some stupid ****ing mistakes, got outplayed by Sony, and payed dearly for it for two generations.

Two of my friends are buying PS3 this week because of the price cut. Before that, it was many months since any of my friends bought PS3.

(I already had one, the $599 sucker that I am. At least I got a shitty movie for free)

The Jer

I went to Target this afternoon and they were sold out of PS3s.
I guess all those people who were waiting for a price cut have taken this opportunity to pounce.

Raistlin

The Jer said:
I guess all those people who were waiting for a price cut have taken this opportunity to pounce.

It begins ...

by begins, I mean anecdotal evidence that will be argued for months :p

FLEABttn said:
And please, the situation of this generation isn't so dissimilar from that of the 32/64 bit era. Nintendo/Sega were kings, made some stupid ****ing mistakes, got outplayed by Sony, and payed dearly for it for two generations.

yea but sony was fresh and had an edge and took gaming to the clubs and made it more mature. there was flavor and soul to what they were doing. if you're 25+ and reading this, you know what it was about.

this generation? what in the **** is going on. it's such a mess up and down, any which way you look at it. and not just sony -- the whole generation. when we look back at this generation retrospectively, we're gonna be like WHAT THE ****

Animal

Banned
If Microsoft doesn't price drop the 360 in the next two weeks, it looks like I'm finally getting my PS3.

spwolf

The Jer said:

no, no, no! you got it all wrong, they removed PS3 due to low sales damn it!

:lol

it is $499 - $4-9-9! Nobody will buy it!

They probably thought 20 GB is back in stock and got it, someone should educate them better!

:D

(you can see I am having good time)

Question for everyone - what is it about the $500 price tag that is making you jump in now? Is it because the good software is closer than it was last November? Is it because the WiFi and 40GB were THAT important to you that you couldn't just pick up the $500 system last year?

It's just weird to me that people are choosing now to jump in when the price is still very high and the software is still mostly 1-2 months away. It would make MUCH more sense to me if the price cut was $200....

The Jer said:

Well, Target usually only carries a couple of them, so it's not saying anymore than citing Amazon links. Don't forget that the Elite was almost impossible to find and the 360 sales actually decreased.

Wait for NPD...these anecdotal stories are dumb.

dammitmattt said:
Question for everyone - what is it about the $500 price tag that is making you jump in now? Is it because the good software is closer than it was last November? Is it because the WiFi and 40GB were THAT important to you that you couldn't just pick up the $500 system last year?

It's just weird to me that people are choosing now to jump in when the price is still very high and the software is still mostly 1-2 months away. It would make MUCH more sense to me if the price cut was $200....

Well, Target usually only carries a couple of them, so it's not saying anymore than citing Amazon links. Don't forget that the Elite was almost impossible to find and the 360 sales actually decreased.

Wait for NPD...these anecdotal stories are dumb.
I didn't want to go through the debacle of trying to secure one at launch, and I never saw a 20 gig after that. That's my story. Though I also have more money this year than last.

Evlar

Banned
It's sold out at the Target here as well.

Some here are working really hard to convince themselves that this is shocking, and that we should all be struck with amazement that those four units sold.

spwolf said:
no, no, no! you got it all wrong, they removed PS3 due to low sales damn it!

:lol

it is $499 - $4-9-9! Nobody will buy it!

They probably thought 20 GB is back in stock and got it, someone should educate them better!

(you can see I am having good time)
You're really setting yourself up for some crow that you'll ignore later, dude.

MikeB

Banned
sony_ps3.jpg

Up 2700%

:)

Segata Sanshiro said:
I didn't want to go through the debacle of trying to secure one at launch, and I never saw a 20 gig after that. That's my story. Though I also have more money this year than last.

I saw a few 20 GBs out in the wild early this year, but none since. At least your patience was rewarded (though I did get Talledega Nights for my $100). I bet you're jealous.

MikeB said:

Jesus f'n Christ....that's about the millionth time that someone has posted a variation of this story....have you even read the last page of the thread, let alone the whole thread?!?!?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
you get a blu-ray dvd remote for free when you buy it from amazon.com, too. that's a pretty sweet deal.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Price drop will substantially boost sales for a short term... sustained doubling? doubtful. probably a 30% increase overall.

But $500 just hasn't distanced itself from the stigmatised prices far enough. $450 is the sweet spot for that kinda thing... but it could also be over 100% extra loss per unit depending on their margins right now.

If they worked towards giving the consumer much more value... HDMI cable, rumbleshock and a couple of free older releases (resistance and motorstorm) for the 80g model at Christmas... then yeah, then they have a real fighting chance.

dammitmattt said:
I saw a few 20 GBs out in the wild early this year, but none since. At least your patience was rewarded (though I did get Talledega Nights for my $100). I bet you're jealous.
I'm actually very jealous. Although I have to admit, it wasn't so much patience as necessity. I can afford quite a bit more now that I'm at my career than I could back in November when I was getting by on student loans. :D

Come April I could more easily afford one but it wasn't hard to see the wind was changing re: a price drop.

spwolf

The Sphinx said:
It's sold out at the Target here as well.

Some here are working really hard to convince themselves that this is shocking, and that we should all be struck with amazement that those four units sold.

i thought PS3 has so much supply that they dont have anywhere to hold them anymore?

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're really setting yourself up for some crow that you'll ignore later, dude.

for what? I am making fun of people who said nobody will notice $100 price drop and that nobody will buy it... it is idiocy at its best.

dont worry, i didnt say it will outsell Wii, so you can stay in your good soldier mode

spwolf said:
for what? I am making fun of people who said nobody will notice $100 price drop and that nobody will buy it... it is idiocy at its best.

dont worry, i didnt say it will outsell Wii, so you can stay in your good soldier mode

Dude, if I'm a Wii soldier, I've been doing my job alllll ****ing wrong the last 24 hours, or have you not seen my posts in these price drop threads?

spwolf

FlightOfHeaven said:
Coconut decorations are up 103,000%

Wow.

i do find it interesting that a lot of PS2 games are up significantly - does it mean that people are buying it with PS3? Thats pretty interesting.

as to coconut decos, it is the latest craze... look good and if you lose the job, they are eatable!

qirex

Crayon Shinchan said:
Price drop will substantially boost sales for a short term... sustained doubling? doubtful. probably a 30% increase overall.

But $500 just hasn't distanced itself from the stigmatised prices far enough. $450 is the sweet spot for that kinda thing... but it could also be over 100% extra loss per unit depending on their margins right now.
Honestly given the way that things like the iPod, iPhone, HDTVs and even the 360 have performed in the mass market at "non magic" price points I don't think $199 is the end-all be-all number anymore. I mean simple supply/demand dictates that something with a lower price will sell better but I don't think it's entirely necessary to sell well.

Maybe the fact that the average American has over $9k in credit card debt has something to do with it...

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Onix said:
Yes, N64 was $199

U.S. Console Launch Prices

1977: Atari 2600 - $199
1982: ColecoVision - $175
1982: Atari 5200 - $269
1985: Nintendo Entertainment System - $199
1986: Atari 7800 - $139
1986: Sega Master System - $199
1989: TurboGrafx-16 - $199
1989: Sega Genesis - $189
1990: SNK NeoGeo - $649
1991: Super Nintendo - $199
1993: 3DO - $699
1993: Atari Jaguar - $249
1995: Sega Saturn - $399
1995: PlayStation - $299
1996: Nintendo 64 - $199
1999: Sega Dreamcast - $199
2000: PlayStation 2 - $299
2001: Nintendo GameCube - $199
2001: Xbox - $299
2005: Xbox 360 - $299 / $399
2006: PlayStation 3 - $499 / $599
2006: Nintendo Wii - $249
2007: Xbox 360 Elite - $479

So that's how much the NeoGeo sold for? I thought it was something much more because my friends always talked about the NeoGeo and they were like whenever they rented one (and also had to put a deposit for it) that they wanted own one but it was like 2,000 dollars or something like that. The Jaguar for 250 wasn't that bad of a deal actually. The 3DO on the otherhand, wow. The best Out of this World isn't worth that much. Did the NeoGeo come with a game and also, can we get some charts comparing the Geo to the Ps3? Did the NeoGeo come with a game?

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dude, if I'm a Wii soldier, I've been doing my job alllll ****ing wrong the last 24 hours, or have you not seen my posts in these price drop threads?

i saw your posts, thats what I am saying :). I am just making fun of people trying to ignore the reality.

Long term, games coming out will have bigger influence on sales than $100 drop, but again, $100 drop will bring some sales in, simply because it is $100 drop.

Simply put, if 3.5 million bought it at $600, then expecting nobody to buy it at $500 is just crazy.

Sony will also greatly benefit from news stories and ads from stores, it is like free marketing for them now, before all the games start coming out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
AlternativeUlster said:
So that's how much the NeoGeo sold for? I thought it was something much more because my friends always talked about the NeoGeo and they were like whenever they rented one (and also had to put a deposit for it) that they wanted own one but it was like 2,000 dollars or something like that. The Jaguar for 250 wasn't that bad of a deal actually. The 3DO on the otherhand, wow. The best Out of this World isn't worth that much. Did the NeoGeo come with a game and also, can we get some charts comparing the Geo to the Ps3? Did the NeoGeo come with a game?

It was the price of the games that kept me from buying a neogeo back then. I did buy a 3do at launch that was tough to swallow.

spwolf said:
i saw your posts, thats what I am saying :). I am just making fun of people trying to ignore the reality.

Long term, games coming out will have bigger influence on sales than $100 drop, but again, $100 drop will bring some sales in, simply because it is $100 drop.

Simply put, if 3.5 million bought it at $600, then expecting nobody to buy it at $500 is just crazy.

Sony will also greatly benefit from news stories and ads from stores, it is like free marketing for them now, before all the games start coming out.

Of course it will bring some sales in, but it don't double the sales like Sony is hoping. The thing is still just too damn expensive. That's the point people are trying to make.

watership

When word of the price drop trickled down to a few of my family members tonight, an aunt said that she'd buy it for her son. He was pretty excited and said most of his friends were just dying to get it, but the price was so high. I mentioned there wasn't much to play on the system for the past 8 months, and he gave me a strange look, "It's a PLAYSTATION dude." It reminded me that sometimes I'm so close to all the industry news and fanboy talk that the general population thinks games.. and then thinks Nintendo and Playstation.

If Sony can get this down to 399, they'll sell like MAD. If Sony and Microsoft were in different positions (Hardware problems aside and giving MS the hardware advantage) would Microsoft's console sell as much as the PS3 did? Probably not.

quest

Not Banned from OT
dammitmattt said:
Of course it will bring some sales in, but it don't double the sales like Sony is hoping. The thing is still just too damn expensive. That's the point people are trying to make.

I am sure if you wanna be anal about it sales will double or more for a short time. The real test will be in a 2-3 months will the increased sales be sustained or will the slowly tapper off to were they are now.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
spwolf said:

Are you saying it will outsell the 360 for July?

AstroLad said:
more anecdotal evidence and amazon sales charts pls
Seriously, this shit needs to stop.

Anyone who is trying to pass Amazon sales as a good barometer for national sales need to do themselves a favor and go wade through the BluRay/HD-DVD takeover watch thread in the OT.

MikeB

Banned
@ dammitmattt

Jesus f'n Christ....that's about the millionth time that someone has posted a variation of this story...

OK, once again just for you to get the adrenaline pumping. ;-)

ps3-2800.jpg

IMO Microsoft's repsonse was classic:

"We'll see if it makes a difference. It's interesting to note that they've significantly dropped their price in the first eight months while Xbox 360 has continued to sell well at our launch price for more than a year and a half. We're right where we want to be right now -"

- Missing original shipment target by 4.4 million?
- 1 Billion extra in depth due to mass hardware failures?
- No price drop in 1 and half years despite using the cheapass low quality components?

spwolf

dammitmattt said:

why not? positive marketing will definetly bring in a lot of new customers, and doubling those sales is not that hard, is it?

Price is really relative term - just look at iPod sales. What Sony needed the most is positive marketing, which is what they are finally getting now.

for how long is the question - but then you will have steady flow of block buster releases which will get the sales up even more - lair, warhak, heavenly sword are all coming out in next 2 months, which will make PS3 hard to ignore.

timing is probably perfect to keep PS3 sales on the up side going into holiday season. How up is up? Nobody knows, but double of 80k is really not that big of the number.

Top Bottom