• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

JeStaH

spwolf said:
mostly yes... some original games wont support it properly, but all games that came in past few months and that are coming in the future have full support, as well as BD movies.

Good to hear! I'm starting to get the HD movie itch. Been downloading hi-def movies on my 360 but it's not quite the same. While it's better than 480p still not as sharp as I'd like it to be.

AVclub

As I see it, there are many gamers who don't have a high-def television right next to their router. So the cost of playing PS3 previously would either be $600 for the model with built-in wifi, or include running ethernet cables through your home. Now, thanks to the price cut, you can play games online without running cables (assuming you have a wireless router) for $100 less. Plus, you got that high quality card reader thrown in. BONUS!

:p

Mmmkay

Ozymandias said:
Posted this on Evil Avatar - just thought I'd share. Flame away! :)

What I can't believe is that folks haven't figured out there really hasn't been a price cut. Simply put, the price of entry to play a PS3 game today is $499 - the exact same price it was when the PS3 launched.

Yes, there's a bit more value to the existing hardware SKUs - bravo. But a price cut? Sony's marketing has done it again, and you guys are drinking the Kool-aid.

I did do a post with a bit more - feel free to read or ignore as you prefer.

http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/07/09/PS3-Price-Drop_3F00_-Not-Really_2E002E002E002E00_.aspx
Nice to see that Microsoft are putting their marketing budget to good use too.

VPhys

Xavien said:
So it finally happens, has any other console had a price cut so quickly after launch other than the PS3?

I mean its pretty quick. Microsoft hasn't cut the price of the Xbox 360 for 18-19 Months now and Sony does it in 6-8 months.

PS3 at $399 by January confirmed?

I believe the PS1 went from $299 to $199 after 6 months.

patsu

Ozymandias said:
And $499 is the same price the low-end PS3 was available for at launch. In other words, it costs the same to play a PS3 game today as it did when the console first launched. Where's the price cut?

I did say there is more value to the PS3 at that price - no arguing there. But no one can point out a way to play a PS3 game for less than $499, or the launch price... can you?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=872587

$499 was not available for some time and it was for a lower spec'ed box. So 60Gb @ US$499 would be a fair and square price drop/mark down compared to 60Gb @ US$599 during launch. Simple.

Raistlin

Sean*O said:
By the way the PS3 was $499 at launch, piss and moan all you like but it's a fact. price drop on the 60 GIG model, yes. Price drop on the cost of entry to the PS3 world, nope.

There's no pissing and moaning going on.

The real fact is that the 20GB was a (very) limited edition SKU. The 60GB is the standard PS3 SKU ... and is the only one that has been available to 99% of people since launch.

So what we have here is a $100 price drop on only true PS3 SKU.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The real fact is that the 20GB was a (very) limited edition SKU

lol - i mean, this is aimed at both sides but it's utterly amazing how spin changes with time...

At PS3 launch, sony fans were "Except you are forgetting about the $499 model... why do you keep saying $599?" and Xbots were "lol $599! There is no $499 units though"

Fast forward to now : Xbots - "but the entry cost is still $499!" Sonys : "But there wasn't a $499 unit! it's a real price drop!"

crazy times.

mj1108

Around and around we go.....we went through this same thread yesterday and after too many pages it ended up locked.

I don't feel like going through it again.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kinda agree with DCharlie here, like this whole $500 thing isn't really new. The 20GB SKU was that price and didn't really set the chart on fire. It would be funny to see that people who didn't bite on that price would now a year later do it on a SKU with slighty better value. Maybe it's all about consumer perception, maybe the consumer didn't even consider the 20GB SKU, because of the 60GB one. If that's the case then it might be a real price drop for a lot of people and might explain a big jump in sales.

patsu

Psychotext said:
That's the same as saying you could get a Wii for $150... it's not particularly valid.

Sure... but you can in fact get into the game below US$499 if you want to. Use it for Wii too if you need it.

I don't understand what the commotion is about. You can buy a 60Gb PS3 with 5 Blu-ray movies and in some cases 1 more controller for $499. It's US$100 cheaper. Buy it if you want. Leave it alone if you don't. Arguing about whether it's a price drop or not rhetorically is strange to say the least.

Just wanted to bring up the "price drop" issue: I was listening to the radio today and the DJs were talking about how the PS3 got a price drop from $599 to $499. It was pretty hilarious since they were making fun of how it was still expensive but I guess my point is that I'd wager the general public views it as a price drop rather than "back to square one" like some people here do.

Commence locking this topic away for good now.

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
lol - i mean, this is aimed at both sides but it's utterly amazing how spin changes with time...

At PS3 launch, sony fans were "Except you are forgetting about the $499 model... why do you keep saying $599?" and Xbots were "lol $599! There is no $499 units though"

Fast forward to now : Xbots - "but the entry cost is still $499!" Sonys : "But there wasn't a $499 unit! it's a real price drop!"

crazy times.

Yeah ... me and I believe AltogetherAndrews were discussing that very point in the 1000+ thread of doom (locked).

It has been abused by both sides. The reality is that it was difficult to find post-launch, and hasn't been fabbed in several months.

It was a phantom SKU Sony made to make it look like the PS3 didn't cost $599 :\

DCharlie

also - i'd like to take this opportunity to say that those that held off because the 20 gig wasn't what they wanted should be jumping in.

I think this is as good as the price is going to get for a long long while, and as it has wireless then you can probably upgrade the machine to above what the next model up is for less.

Actually, ideal would have been if there was a 20gig with built in wireless, but hey ho... the 60 gig is the same price now.

So yeah - i expect all the sony fans who held off to start thinking about seriously jumping in - but not the casuals.

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
also - i'd like to take this opportunity to say that those that held off because the 20 gig wasn't what they wanted should be jumping in.

I think this is as good as the price is going to get for a long long while, and as it has wireless then you can probably upgrade the machine to above what the next model up is for less.

Actually, ideal would have been if there was a 20gig with built in wireless, but hey ho... the 60 gig is the same price now.

So yeah - i expect all the sony fans who held off to start thinking about seriously jumping in - but not the casuals.

How would Sony have been able to offer the same SKU as the 60GB but with a 20GB HDD at any significant savings?

DCharlie

How would Sony have been able to offer the same SKU as the 60GB but with a 20GB HDD at any significant savings?

i was talking from a purely gamer perspective. Obviously, it wasn't viable.

Their day will come.

I guess the timing of when that day is is the important factor.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
I guess the timing of when that day is is the important factor.

2009, when HD is mainstream and so is the PS3. The two seem to be converging on the same path in about a year and a half or so.

PkunkFury

Onix said:
It has been abused by both sides. The reality is that it was difficult to find post-launch, and hasn't been fabbed in several months.

It was a phantom SKU Sony made to make it look like the PS3 didn't cost $599 :\

I think this is why many people have a problem wiith the new pricing strategy. They've set an SKU back to $499, and it's certainly a better value, but we know it is an SKU they want to clear out. They won't be making 60 gigs anymore in favor of the 80gig model, so when the 60 gigs are gone, they're gone.

Of course the 80 gig model will take its place at $499, but the question is, when? There's a possibility we are looking at a similar stunt here, and when the 60 gigs sell out this holiday the PS3 may become effectively $599 as it was last holiday. My bet is that they won't drop the 80 gig until after the holiday, even if the 60 gig sells out. It's too many price drops too fast. Spring of 08 looks more likely for a $499 80 gig (sans MotorStorm)

Either way, the 60 gig at $499 is a sweet deal. Anyone who was waiting for this type of price should jump on it while it is available

legend166

I don't think there's anyway that Sony is making money on PS3s. If prices were dropping this fast, they would have dropped to $400.

DCharlie

2009, when HD is mainstream and so is the PS3. The two seem to be converging on the same path in about a year and a half or so.

wow - that feels like an awful long way away. I'm sure they'll be more agressive than that, if not then "Good luck sony!"

Raistlin

Mrbob said:

Pretty much ... though I expect 360 sales to also jump.

Basically, as more and more HDTV's sell ... I believe, more and more people will look at 360 and PS3 instead of Wii.

Raistlin

PkunkFury said:
I think this is why many people have a problem wiith the new pricing strategy. They've set an SKU back to $499, and it's certainly a better value, but we know it is an SKU they want to clear out. They won't be making 60 gigs anymore in favor of the 80gig model, so when the 60 gigs are gone, they're gone.

Of course the 80 gig model will take its place at $499, but the question is, when? There's a possibility we are looking at a similar stunt here, and when the 60 gigs sell out this holiday the PS3 may become effectively $599 as it was last holiday. My bet is that they won't drop the 80 gig until after the holiday, even if the 60 gig sells out. It's too many price drops too fast. Spring of 08 looks more likely for a $499 80 gig (sans MotorStorm)

Either way, the 60 gig at $499 is a sweet deal. Anyone who was waiting for this type of price should jump on it while it is available

I don't expect a long transitional period where 60GB's are scarce ... and the 80GB is sitting at $599.

I really believe that is not Sony's intent.

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
wow - that feels like an awful long way away. I'm sure they'll be more agressive than that, if not then "Good luck sony!"

In reality ... that's no longer than previous gen time-frames for mass-market pricing/sales.

Lorul2

Does this mean there is now a limited number of PS Tripples 60GB versions since the SKU most people want is the 80 GB SKU?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Mrbob said:

The battle for public mindshare of who is the next "it" console will be over and done with by that point.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:

There is a difference between selling at a decent clip and hitting the mass market.

I expect the PS3 will start selling decently every month, and as it helps Blu Ray and HDTV gain more steam the system will drop in price and become more accessible to everyone.

The battle for public mindshare of who is the next "it" console will be over and done with by that point.

Disagree. The gestation period for this generation will be longer than the last, and once HD DVD goes away in the next year it will make the PS3 look much more valuable.

PkunkFury

Onix said:
I don't expect a long transitional period where 60GB's are scarce ... and the 80GB is sitting at $599.

I really believe that is not Sony's intent.

oh I'm sure they'll minimize it as much as possible, but it still has to be done in a reasonable time frame.

The 60 gig goes on sale now. The 80 gig version doesn't launch until August. that gives the 60 gig an extra month to clear out on its own.

Then consider the 80 gig launches in August, how soon can they drop the price and not upset people who just bought it? Some have suggested that the 80 gig will hit 499 this holiday, but that's 2-3 months after it goes on sale.

I think whether or not there will be a gap depends entirely on how fast the 60 gig units sell out. If they clear out before the holiday, having only the 80 gig as an opiton isn't unlikely

Uncooked

Banned
Mrbob said:
Disagree. The gestation period for this generation will be longer than the last, and once HD DVD goes away in the next year it will make the PS3 look much more valuable.

Why? I am not tired of buying cheap DVD's, not even close. DVD's still outsell blu-ray discs by a ridiculous amount, why do you think that will change in only a year?

MoxManiac

PkunkFury said:
oh I'm sure they'll minimize it as much as possible, but it still has to be done in a reasonable time frame.

The 60 gig goes on sale now. The 80 gig version doesn't launch until August. that gives the 60 gig an extra month to clear out on its own.

Then consider the 80 gig launches in August, how soon can they drop the price and not upset people who just bought it? Some have suggested that the 80 gig will hit 499 this holiday, but that's 2-3 months after it goes on sale.

I think whether or not there will be a gap depends entirely on how fast the 60 gig units sell out. If they clear out before the holiday, having only the 80 gig as an opiton isn't unlikely

That's idiocy. If the 80gb for 599 is all there is when the dust settles THEY ARE RIGHT BACK WHERE THEY ****ING STARTED.

jetjevons said:
I agree and I think it'll be over in '08 (as far as settling who is going to be in third place for the rest of the gen), though I personally think most will be able to look back and point to '07 as a pivotal year with the release of GTA IV. The problem is not only hitting mainstream or non-hardcore players, but also keeping your platform relevant to third parties who risk a great deal of money on these systems with their ten or more releases a year.

Ozy works for MS... of course!

I do agree that there *was* a $500 option that should have made this a semi-moot point. but the severe lack of availability and general ignorance of its existence kinda nerfed that as a real option. So this brings Sony to where they shoudl have been at launch, only the cheap version is much better.

It's a good move all around, and for practical purposes, makes the PS3 cheaper.

I've never really evangelized the PS3 (although I have defended it) due to the high cost and lack of games-- unless you wanted HD movies too (I did) it wasn't a great deal. Better library + 5 movies - $100 from the price = a worthwhile deal. I don;t really think it'll catch up to the Xbox, and even if it did, the Wii overshadows them both... but this will go a long ways to making it a viable console for the whole gen.

Raistlin

PkunkFury said:

The 80GB coming out in August is a limited edition version that comes with Motorstorm (we don't know if anything else extra is included).

When Sony drops the price of the 80GB to $499 ... it will no longer come with a pack in

(obviously these are all assumptions).

PkunkFury

MoxManiac said:
That's idiocy. If the 80gb for 599 is all there is when the dust settles THEY ARE RIGHT BACK WHERE THEY ****ING STARTED.

like I say, they will drop the 80 gig, but we don't know when. And this is the reason a lot of people on here are upset with the new price announcements. If the $499 SKU was something they intended to keep going, I think you'd see a bit more support, but with the SKU split a bit of caution is understandable.

Continued support of the 60 gig model would ensure the price remains viable, and would probably indicate a closer drop to $399 (for the lower SKU) down the line. With the new SKU, however, the lower SKU is being phased out and we have to wait for the 80 gig to take over that price before another drop is in sight. It seems Sony are adopting a similar strategy as MS, increasing the value of the machine until they can afford to really start dropping the price. It's great for people looking for a better machine, but for people waiting on a lower entry fee there's a bit of a stasis for all three machines

Onix said:
The 80GB coming out in August is a limited edition version that comes with Motorstorm (we don't know if anything else extra is included).

When Sony drops the price of the 80GB to $499 ... it will no longer come with a pack in

(obviously these are all assumptions).

Yup, I follow, just pointing out that concerns this won't happen are also legitimate. We'll see how quickly they are willing to pull the bundle. When I pick up a PS3 in November, I'd prefer to get an 80 gig cheap and without Motorstorm

Raistlin

Uncooked said:
Why? I am not tired of buying cheap DVD's, not even close. DVD's still outsell blu-ray discs by a ridiculous amount, why do you think that will change in only a year?

Because you have no interest in HD movies means no one else will?

Raistlin

PkunkFury said:
Continued support of the 60 gig model would ensure the price remains vaiable, and would probably indicate a closer drop to $399 (for the lower SKU) down the line. With the new SKU, however, the lower SKU is being phased out and we have to wait for the 80 gig to take over that price before another drop is in sight. It seems Sony are adopting a similar strategy as MS, increasing the value of the machine until they cant afford to really start dropping the price. It's great for people looking for a better machine, but for people waiting on a lower entry fee there's a bit of a stasus for all three machines

Please search through the 1000+ locked thread towards the end.

I really don't feel like repeating this.

Sony is NOT doing a 'value-added' strategy with the 80GB ... they are enlarging the HDD size to LOWER their costs.

tjhooker

Banned
jetjevons said:

Hardly.

The initial higher price of entry means that next gen consoles won't reach mass adoption rates until later this generation which consequently means a delay in when such a battle is decided.

Onix said:
In reality ... that's no longer than previous gen time-frames for mass-market pricing/sales.
2.5 years after PS1 launch, it was $149.
2.5 years after PS2 launch, it was $179.
2.5 years after GCN launch, it was $99.

Raistlin

MightyHedgehog said:
I agree and I think it'll be over in '08 (as far as settling who is going to be in third place for the rest of the gen), though I personally think most will be able to look back and point to '07 as a pivotal year with the release of GTA IV. The problem is not only hitting mainstream or non-hardcore players, but also keeping your platform relevant to third parties who risk a great deal of money on these systems with their ten or more releases a year.

I think this generation will end up being different than previous ones as far as there being an IT console.

Due to the Wii's relatively weak graphics and lack of HD support, I believe as HDTV penetration increases ... 360 and/or PS3 can really take off.

The reason is two-fold. First, people don't care 'that' much about HD graphics until they get an HDTV. Secondly, by the time HDTV adoption really gets going (say late '08-'09) ... there will have been enough time that many people who were previously 'single console owners' ... will not find purchasing a second console all that offensive. Obviously 360 and PS3's prices will be lower at that point ... so the timing really works out.

So basically ... I think WiiS3 and Wii60 will become commonplace later this gen. Much more so than previous gens.

Raistlin

JoshuaJSlone said:
2.5 years after PS1 launch, it was $149.
2.5 years after PS2 launch, it was $179.
2.5 years after GCN launch, it was $99.

What is your point?

The new consoles offer much more, and then there is inflation - no one can realistically expect the prices to fall to that level by then.

The point is that the delta compared to launch price won't be that far off.

damisa

Onix said:
I think this generation will end up being different than previous ones as far as there being an IT console.

Due to the Wii's relatively weak graphics and lack of HD support, I believe as HDTV penetration increases ... 360 and/or PS3 can really take off.

The reason is two-fold. First, people don't care 'that' much about HD graphics until they get an HDTV. Secondly, by the time HDTV adoption really gets going (say late '08-'09) ... there will have been enough time that many people who were previously 'single console owners' ... will not find purchasing a second console all that offensive. Obviously 360 and PS3's prices will be lower at that point ... so the timing really works out.

So basically ... I think WiiS3 and Wii60 will become commonplace later this gen. Much more so than previous gens.

Most of the people I know with HDTV's are more interested in the wii than in either the 360 or the PS3. They use their HDTV to watch SDTV content.

Onix said:
I agree with this and it already is.

The reason is two-fold. Firstly, people won't care as much about HD graphics until they get an HDTV. Secondly, by the time HDTV adoption really gets going (say late '08-'09) ... there will have been enough time that many people who were previously 'single console owners' ... will not find purchasing a second console all that offensive. Obviously 360 and PS3's prices will be lower at that point ... so the timing really works out.
Yeah, I dunno. I don't think most people will care that much and because of that, I don't see HDTV adoption really weighing heavy with game system adoption. Mostly, I don't think one greatly affects the other in the grand scheme of things. HD is inevitable (because SD is being phased out as a choice), but which system one gets is not.

So basically ... I really think WiiS3 and Wii60 will become commonplace later this gen. Much more so than previous gens.
I agree with the gist of this statement, though it will, IMO, heavily favor Wii60 because of the lower price barrier both have.

Ozymandias said:
Posted this on Evil Avatar - just thought I'd share. Flame away! :)

What I can't believe is that folks haven't figured out there really hasn't been a price cut. Simply put, the price of entry to play a PS3 game today is $499 - the exact same price it was when the PS3 launched.

Yes, there's a bit more value to the existing hardware SKUs - bravo. But a price cut? Sony's marketing has done it again, and you guys are drinking the Kool-aid.

I did do a post with a bit more - feel free to read or ignore as you prefer.

http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/07/09/PS3-Price-Drop_3F00_-Not-Really_2E002E002E002E00_.aspx
Christ. Are the corporate bloggers from the big 3 going to move their battle to Gaf? As if this place wasn't already primed for cataclysm.

I think the price cut will push more hardcore gamers who were on the fence to buy one, but as a whole I still think $500 is pretty steep to the average consumer. I know that I do personally want one more now that the price has dropped but the fact that I really don't have $500 to spend and the fact that games like DMC4, GTA4 and possibly even MGS4 (as rumored) are making their way to 360 I am able to hold myself back from making the big purchase.

Top Bottom