• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cuts PlayStation 3 Price, Aims to Double Sales.

Raistlin

kenta said:
But Amazon.com is a web site, hence the surprise that the common internet mindset was not reflected on the internet web site's score :p

We can drop this now :p

:p

I will simply say that GAF is a pretty small subset of the general Amazon customer.

We really are not the common internet mindset ...

... thank god

cicatriz

12709463548.gif

fernoca

sonycowboy said:
QFT

Amazon has never been a good indicator for NPD sales and certainly not a 3 hour window of it. If there were a couple of dozen folks who thought, sounds good to me, and bought it via Amazon during that time frame, it would register as #1, but hardly signal a full months resurgence.

Interestingly, Sony is only looking to double sales, which would still put them behind the 360.

I'm quoting you now.. :D

sonycowboy said:
QFT

Amazon has never been a good indicator for NPD sales and certainly not a 3 hour window of it. If there were a couple of dozen folks who thought, sounds good to me, and bought it via Amazon during that time frame, it would register as #1, but hardly signal a full months resurgence.

Interestingly, Sony is only looking to double sales, which would still put them behind the 360.

Wasn't it 80k vs 153k or something for May?

Systems_id said:
You bastard.

;)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Onix said:

I will simply say that GAF is a pretty small subset of the general Amazon customer.

We really are not the common internet mindset ...

... thank god
i couldnt imagine if the average mindset on gaf was prevalent everywhere else....

Raistlin

hydragonwarrior said:
ZOMG SONY WILL WIN WAR!!!!11

Well ... in Canada they might. :p

MS has been screwing our neighbors to the north since launch. This drop puts the PS3 real close to the 360 Premium price.

Nintendo had a good run...

Or did they??? *shifty eyes*

Seriously, if there's one thing Sony fans should've learned the past months, it's that you better be careful with cheering and claiming victory. Let's all hope better times are ahead for Sony though.

Cdammen

I checked VGP, they've lowered the price to 570CAD... UNGH! Urge to buy PS3 rising! MUST RESIST!

If I import a Canadian/American PS3 can I still use the store PSN Store and buy stuff off of it with my European VISA card?

(EDIT) Heh... nevermind. The PS3 is one heavy piece of tech. The console + shipping fee equals to our current Swedish store price :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
From Gamespot:

The MotorStorm bundle says "limited edition" on the box. How many copies will be available?

JT: It's going to be dependent on consumer demand.

That don't sound very limited...do it?

tanod

when is my burrito
Cdammen said:
I checked VGP, they've lowered the price to 570CAD... UNGH! Urge to buy PS3 rising! MUST RESIST!

If I import a Canadian/American PS3 can I still use the store PSN Store and buy stuff off of it with my European VISA card?

(EDIT) Heh... nevermind. The PS3 is one heavy piece of tech. The console + shipping fee equals to our current Swedish store price :lol

If you're gonna buy it there, you should tell them it's supposed to be 550CAD.

bishoptl said:
Just taking a quick break from The Darkness to say...hellooooooooooooo
Thank God. How do you like the Darkness so far?

Onix said:

MS has been screwing our neighbors to the north since launch. This drop puts the PS3 real close to the 360 Premium price.
That would require them to sextuple their sales. :p

Wii - 37,300
DS - 35,900
PS2 - 18,200
PSP - 15,000
360 - 12,300
PS3 - 6,500
GBA - 6,100

Onix said:

MS has been absolutely screwing us, but I'll say right now neither of them has a hope of catching the Wii up here. It's ran away with it already.

donny2112 said:
It's now up 2800% and #1 on the top sellers chart.
Few things to say on this...

1: It's a 2800% increase in rank, not sales (Amazon is odd like that).
2: Yesterday the 360 elite was #1 for a while (It moved around a lot during the day).
3: This isn't the first time the PS3 has been #1 in those charts.

It's fun, but it doesn't really mean much as people have been saying. Oh, and for Amazon tracking, look here: http://www.eproductwars.com/vg/index.cfm (Site dies quickly under heavy load).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
bishoptl said:

bishoptl
THEY SCARED NOW
(Today, 04:47 PM)

So does it look like we are having a civil dicussion?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cdammen said:

HMV tax-free at the airports in the UK have them for £360 + free copy of motorstorm. Thast pretty good, and should get even better when the price drop hits over here too. Should get close to £300

Course, only useful if you're flying.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
bishoptl said:

Make sure you play it on Hard. It really is a very different experience (ie. you actually have to use your Darkness powers).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Gattsu25 said:
360 or PS3 version? How are you liking it so far?
360, I prefer the MS analog setup for shooters. I'm not playing it on Hard after reading about chespace's issues, I'll get to it later. ****ing amazing title though, loads of atmosphere, great VO, the works. I still have some issues with the targeting system, but...wait, what thread is this again?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone think that this will hurt sales in Europe? That is if Sony does not drop the price there as well. Europe will now be waiting for there price drop.

~Kinggi~

Banned
this news of the EE being removed from the new model is freaken hilarious. Software emu for the ps3 sucks, everyone over in europe could tell you that. I seriously dont see the company continuously supporting the cheaper version with the EE and the one without. Basically they are probaly just gonna phase it out and screw future buyers even more. Im seriously considering not getting a ps3 at all this gen. Byn the time the good games come out that are exclusive, and i actually want a ps3, the old version probably wont be available.

wotter

~Kinggi~ said:
this news of the EE being removed from the new model is freaken hilarious. Software emu for the ps3 sucks, everyone over in europe could tell you that. I seriously dont see the company continuously supporting the cheaper version with the EE and the one without. Basically they are probaly just gonna phase it out and screw future buyers even more. Im seriously considering not getting a ps3 at all this gen. Byn the time the good games come out that are exclusive, and i actually want a ps3, the old version probably wont be available.
What are you talking about? Over 90 procent of all games are already playable and you can bet Sony will increase this number when more firmware update hits. I really don't see why people make a huge fuss about it, yeah some games won't work but most do and some look stunning when upscaled (god of war 2 and okami to name some).

Oni Jazar

Where does this 90% keep coming from? Is there a link? I'd like to know what major titles aren't BC compatable with the SW emulator.

Well, for anyone looking for anecdotal evidence of how the price drop is affecting sales I picked up mine today at around 1PM at the bestbuy at Pentagon City and was told by the guy behind the customer service desk that I was the seventh customer he sold one to since they opened. Several of them told him they saw the news of the price drop on CNN.

BTW my purchase was motivated by the possibility that the 60gig with EE might be phased out as much as the drop.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Where does this 90% keep coming from? Is there a link? I'd like to know what major titles aren't BC compatable with the SW emulator.
90% doesnt even mean anything, The games sony say that works, actually work, but with glitches, so it doesnt even matter cause its a gimped function anyway, kinda like alot fo the 360 games they claim to work.

spwolf

Saint Gregory said:
Well, for anyone looking for anecdotal evidence of how the price drop is affecting sales I picked up mine today at around 1PM at the bestbuy at Pentagon City and was told by the guy behind the customer service desk that I was the seventh customer he sold one to since they opened. Several of them told him they saw the news of the price drop on CNN.

BTW my purchase was motivated by the possibility that the 60gig with EE might be phased out as much as the drop.

but, but, but

:D

Chiggs

Gold Member
Saint Gregory said:

A couple of my friends took the plunge, too. Strangely enough, they did it because of the free Blu-Ray movies. Of all the ****ing reasons to get a PS3, those numbnuts choose that.

I'm quickly becoming a loner in my circle of gaming friends. No Resistance = :(

Raistlin

Shepherd said:
Does anyone think that this will hurt sales in Europe? That is if Sony does not drop the price there as well. Europe will now be waiting for there price drop.

There is an announcement later this week for Europe.

No one knows if it is a price drop or some sort of extras with the system. We'll know in a few days.

Luckyman said:
To fully capatilaze on this Sony needs some cool news at E3..

"6 months ago we won the hd movie war. today we have won the console war. next year ps3 will win the war against cancer."

Raistlin

~Kinggi~ said:
90% doesnt even mean anything, The games sony say that works, actually work, but with glitches, so it doesnt even matter cause its a gimped function anyway, kinda like alot fo the 360 games they claim to work.

Really?

I was under the impression Sony did the exact opposite. They've historically been really anal about BC. They would list a game as 'working, but has issues' if there was a missing pixel (I believe that was the case with an FF game).

I have a US launch version, so I can't comment first-hand. But I'm surprised that they suddenly changed their descriptions of what 'working' means. I thought the recent firmwares had really got compatibility pretty high.

News to me.

Raistlin

Saint Gregory said:
Well then they couldn't have seen the list of movies to chose from :(

Well ... look at it this way.

If they think all the movies suck, they should be able to sell them and get around enough cash for 2-3 movies online ... or almost enough for a game.

Still not bad.

Top Bottom